Debate continues over lifting ban on travel to Cuba from USA
After the House Agriculture Committee voted in favour of lifting the ban last month on travel to Cuba for US travellers, the ongoing debate is becoming more heated as numerous organisations voice their views on the controversial 50 year-long embargo.
The congressional debate concerning the ban on travel to Cuba for US travellers is heating up as the House Agriculture Committee last month voted in favour of lifting the fifty-year long embargo.
The measure still needs to get approval from the Foreign Affairs Committee before it can take to the floor for a vote but Chairman of the Committee, Howard Berman, has indicated that he is in favour of lifting the ban, which restricts US residents' travel to Cuba and the sales of US goods.
Mr Berman said: "I have long believed that the nearly fifty year old travel ban to Cuba simply has not worked to help the Cuban people in any way. It has not hurt the Castros as it was intended to do, but it has hurt U.S. citizens."
Last year, President Obama eased travel restrictions for US travellers with relatives in Cuba, allowing them to enjoy Cuba holidays and family occasions. If the ban is lifted, both countries are expected to benefit from a boost in trade and tourism numbers.
Cuba looks set to become one of the top Caribbean tourist destinations if an end is brought to the embargo and owners of Cuba hotels, tourist attractions and travel companies are already preparing for the event and the expected influx of US travellers.
However, there are still many who believe that the ban should not be lifted and believe that the freedom to travel to Cuba and trade with the island will just funnel money to the Castro regime and not actually help Cubans.
Senator, Robert Menendez, said: "I want to make it absolutely clear that I will oppose - and filibuster if need be - any effort to ease regulations that stand to enrich a regime that denies its own people basic human rights."
"The fact is the big corporate interests behind this misguided attempt to weaken the travel ban could not care less whether the Cuban people are free," Menendez continued. "They care only about opening a new market and increasing their bottom line. This is about the colour of money, not the desire for freedom."
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 17:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Discover the crystal clear waters of Varadero and slip into total relaxation this summer
- Enjoy a grilled feast with a restaurant on the beach
- Within close proximity to such famous attractions as the Ecological Reserve at Varahicacos
- Close to one of the best windsurfing and kitesurfing spots in Cuba
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 28th Aug 2017
Expect Luxury, comfort and relaxation!
- Enjoy spa treatments, water and land sports and more for a fun-filled break
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 31th Aug 2017
- Relish fantastic eating and drinking options 24 hours a day
- Enjoy complimentary perks, including a bottle of sparkling wine, a romantic dinner for two, plus a 30 min massage per couple.
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
The unlimited heaven of tranquillity in a perfect setting
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Start your holiday at The Melia Habana Hotel, located in the heart of the elegant Miramar district, overlooking the sea....
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Look out onto the day to day life of Havana's streets from the Casa Santy's balconies, with its great location and a...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...