Debate continues over lifting ban on travel to Cuba from USA
After the House Agriculture Committee voted in favour of lifting the ban last month on travel to Cuba for US travellers, the ongoing debate is becoming more heated as numerous organisations voice their views on the controversial 50 year-long embargo.
The congressional debate concerning the ban on travel to Cuba for US travellers is heating up as the House Agriculture Committee last month voted in favour of lifting the fifty-year long embargo.
The measure still needs to get approval from the Foreign Affairs Committee before it can take to the floor for a vote but Chairman of the Committee, Howard Berman, has indicated that he is in favour of lifting the ban, which restricts US residents' travel to Cuba and the sales of US goods.
Mr Berman said: "I have long believed that the nearly fifty year old travel ban to Cuba simply has not worked to help the Cuban people in any way. It has not hurt the Castros as it was intended to do, but it has hurt U.S. citizens."
Last year, President Obama eased travel restrictions for US travellers with relatives in Cuba, allowing them to enjoy Cuba holidays and family occasions. If the ban is lifted, both countries are expected to benefit from a boost in trade and tourism numbers.
Cuba looks set to become one of the top Caribbean tourist destinations if an end is brought to the embargo and owners of Cuba hotels, tourist attractions and travel companies are already preparing for the event and the expected influx of US travellers.
However, there are still many who believe that the ban should not be lifted and believe that the freedom to travel to Cuba and trade with the island will just funnel money to the Castro regime and not actually help Cubans.
Senator, Robert Menendez, said: "I want to make it absolutely clear that I will oppose - and filibuster if need be - any effort to ease regulations that stand to enrich a regime that denies its own people basic human rights."
"The fact is the big corporate interests behind this misguided attempt to weaken the travel ban could not care less whether the Cuban people are free," Menendez continued. "They care only about opening a new market and increasing their bottom line. This is about the colour of money, not the desire for freedom."
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
With great watersports galore, your winter-sun holiday can be one to remember in Cuba
- Try your hand at some adrenaline-pumping water sports including sailing, windsurfing and diving
- If you’re not up for a night on the tiles you can simply chill out at the resort and enjoy the evening’s entertainment
- If you’re a night-owl you won’t be able to resist Varadero’s buzzing nightlife
Discover the relaxing Varadero and sink into sublim tranquillity
- Experience the beauty of Varadero Beach where you can relax and unwind on the tranquil white sandy beaches whilst enjoying the 24-hrs All-inclusive offered at the Luxurious Iberostar Varadero
- Stay in Havana's most highly rated hotel, with an iconic location facing Central Park
- Discover Cuba whilst staying at the 2 Top rated TripAdvisor hotels in Cuba
Combine exploring the iconic and pulsating city of Havana with a relaxing retreat to the stunning Varadero beach
- A Luxurious and comfortable stay with 5* amenities
- A Complimentary shuttle to the iconic city of Havana
- The plethora of activities and classes that will cater for every taste
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Start your holiday at The Melia Habana Hotel, located in the heart of the elegant Miramar district, overlooking the sea....
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...