Debate continues over lifting ban on travel to Cuba from USA
After the House Agriculture Committee voted in favour of lifting the ban last month on travel to Cuba for US travellers, the ongoing debate is becoming more heated as numerous organisations voice their views on the controversial 50 year-long embargo.
The congressional debate concerning the ban on travel to Cuba for US travellers is heating up as the House Agriculture Committee last month voted in favour of lifting the fifty-year long embargo.
The measure still needs to get approval from the Foreign Affairs Committee before it can take to the floor for a vote but Chairman of the Committee, Howard Berman, has indicated that he is in favour of lifting the ban, which restricts US residents' travel to Cuba and the sales of US goods.
Mr Berman said: "I have long believed that the nearly fifty year old travel ban to Cuba simply has not worked to help the Cuban people in any way. It has not hurt the Castros as it was intended to do, but it has hurt U.S. citizens."
Last year, President Obama eased travel restrictions for US travellers with relatives in Cuba, allowing them to enjoy Cuba holidays and family occasions. If the ban is lifted, both countries are expected to benefit from a boost in trade and tourism numbers.
Cuba looks set to become one of the top Caribbean tourist destinations if an end is brought to the embargo and owners of Cuba hotels, tourist attractions and travel companies are already preparing for the event and the expected influx of US travellers.
However, there are still many who believe that the ban should not be lifted and believe that the freedom to travel to Cuba and trade with the island will just funnel money to the Castro regime and not actually help Cubans.
Senator, Robert Menendez, said: "I want to make it absolutely clear that I will oppose - and filibuster if need be - any effort to ease regulations that stand to enrich a regime that denies its own people basic human rights."
"The fact is the big corporate interests behind this misguided attempt to weaken the travel ban could not care less whether the Cuban people are free," Menendez continued. "They care only about opening a new market and increasing their bottom line. This is about the colour of money, not the desire for freedom."
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
Fall in love with Havana and its captivating heritage before being dazzled by the pristine shores of Varadero
- You will be staying in luxurious hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly and offer the best of both worlds whether you are looking to adventure or relax
- Experience the best of the world famous Varadero Beach where white sand is lapped by clear water when staying at Melia Varadero
- Enjoy a Welcome cocktail and a bottle of cava on arrival in Havana and Varadero
The unlimited heaven of tranquillity in a perfect setting
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
One of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the Capri is a legendary property with over...
Start your holiday at The Melia Habana Hotel, located in the heart of the elegant Miramar district, overlooking the sea....
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...
Look out onto the day to day life of Havana's streets from the Casa Santy's balconies, with its great location and a...