Jamaica celebrates success in attracting UK holiday-makers
Recent figures from the Office for National Statistics have revealed that despite the fall in outbound travel for UK travellers between 2008 and 2009, the number of tourists from the UK enjoying Jamaica holidays increased during this period.
The Jamaica Tourist Board is celebrating recent figures released from the Office for National Statistics which showed that despite many UK travellers abandoning overseas holidays between 2008 and 2009, the Caribbean Island saw an increase in UK tourists taking Jamaica holidays.
The figures showed that outbound travel from UK travellers during 2008 and 2009 fell at its sharpest rate since the 1970's because of the effects of the global recession.
Director of Tourism at the Jamaica Tourist Board, John Lynch, said:
"This is no mean feat for Jamaica. In 2009, Brits were abandoning overseas holidays at the fastest rate in decades and yet they flocked to Jamaica's shores in increased numbers.
"Even with the whole of Europe on their doorstep, UK holidaymakers recognised the great value, huge variety and quality of tourism product offered in Jamaica. We should all be very proud of this achievement."
Three countries were identified in the report conducted by Travel Trends as seeing an increase in UK visitors; Jamaica, Egypt and Lithuania.
The increase in UK travellers enjoying holidays in Jamaica might have something to do with Jamaica being named as the leading destination in the Caribbean at the World Travel Awards from 2006 to 2009.
The stunning tropical island is located in the Caribbean Sea 90 miles south of Cuba and is made of stunning white powder sand fringed with swaying palm trees; sparking crystal waters; rich vegetation; and a tropical climate.
Jamaica is rich in history and culture and the relaxed and laid-back atmosphere is evident throughout the island and Jamaica hotels and resorts.
Home to the Blue Mountains, the island offers plenty of activities and sights for travellers enjoying Jamaica holidays including the Blue Lagoon in Portland, Dunn's River Falls in St. Ann, and the Kingston Harbour which is one of the largest natural harbours in the world.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Jamaica Browse all
With a waterpark, onsite Robert Von Hagge Championship Golf Course and a spa for the ultimate in wellbeing, Hilton Rose Hall offers a dream holiday
- Indulge in a spa treatment or play a round of golf at Cinnamon Hill Golf Course
- Experience great all-inclusive options at 7 fantastic restaurants, bars and grills
- Bask on the 2,500 foot private beach or enjoy Sugar Mill Falls park - The biggest aquatic park in the Caribbean
Enjoy the priviliges of bygone days at secrets st. james montego bay, an Adults Only Romantic resort with Unlimited-Luxury Privileges
- Relax & Unwind at the Secrets Spa by Pevonia or watch a live show at the open-air theatre
- Indulge in a host of international cuisine, or dine in with 24-hr room service
- Huge savings when you upgrade to a Preferred Club room or Preferred Club Junior Suite
- Enjoy a range of activities including sailing, snorkelling, windsurfing and tennis
Freedom of choice is what it's all about at this adult-only hotel, hedonism ii designed for pure self indulgence of the body, spirit and soul
- 2018 Early Booking Offer: Stay 7 Pay 6, Stay 14 Pay 11!
- Dance the night away at the Famous Club Hurricane Nightclub
- Indulge in the wide selection of food & unlimited drinks including top shelf brands
- Enjoy a vast array of facilities including Kayaking, Water-Skiing, Snorkelling & more
Immerse yourself in a vareity of complimentary activities, excursions and spa treatments
- Incredible resort credit upto $2500 FREE to be used to swim with dolphins, upgrade your wine, spa treatments and much more!
- The Holiday Place Offer - Stay for 7 nights and only pay for 6!
- Relish complimentary perks including a bottle of red wine upon arrival, spa treatments, tours, activities and much more.
- Kids Stay, Play and Eat free!
Treat yourself to Jamaican sunshine perfectly paired with all-inclusive delights. Located on the white sand beaches of...
Enjoy the perfect setting for a romantic honeymoon or tropical wedding at the all inclusive Mangos Jamaica. This adults...
Experience firsthand the enchantment of Jamaica's magical Montego Bay as you enjoy the holiday of a lifetime. The Hilton...
Spoil yourself with a week of sun and sand at one of Jamaica's most beautiful beaches. Your eight days in Rooms On The...
Bringing the essence of all things Jamaican to life, the Shaw Park Beach Hotel and Spa is the quintessential Caribbean...
Holiday Inn Sunspree Resort Montego Bay offers a magical location on the beachfront nestled amidst luxury tropical...