Jamaica celebrates success in attracting UK holiday-makers
Recent figures from the Office for National Statistics have revealed that despite the fall in outbound travel for UK travellers between 2008 and 2009, the number of tourists from the UK enjoying Jamaica holidays increased during this period.
The Jamaica Tourist Board is celebrating recent figures released from the Office for National Statistics which showed that despite many UK travellers abandoning overseas holidays between 2008 and 2009, the Caribbean Island saw an increase in UK tourists taking Jamaica holidays.
The figures showed that outbound travel from UK travellers during 2008 and 2009 fell at its sharpest rate since the 1970's because of the effects of the global recession.
Director of Tourism at the Jamaica Tourist Board, John Lynch, said:
"This is no mean feat for Jamaica. In 2009, Brits were abandoning overseas holidays at the fastest rate in decades and yet they flocked to Jamaica's shores in increased numbers.
"Even with the whole of Europe on their doorstep, UK holidaymakers recognised the great value, huge variety and quality of tourism product offered in Jamaica. We should all be very proud of this achievement."
Three countries were identified in the report conducted by Travel Trends as seeing an increase in UK visitors; Jamaica, Egypt and Lithuania.
The increase in UK travellers enjoying holidays in Jamaica might have something to do with Jamaica being named as the leading destination in the Caribbean at the World Travel Awards from 2006 to 2009.
The stunning tropical island is located in the Caribbean Sea 90 miles south of Cuba and is made of stunning white powder sand fringed with swaying palm trees; sparking crystal waters; rich vegetation; and a tropical climate.
Jamaica is rich in history and culture and the relaxed and laid-back atmosphere is evident throughout the island and Jamaica hotels and resorts.
Home to the Blue Mountains, the island offers plenty of activities and sights for travellers enjoying Jamaica holidays including the Blue Lagoon in Portland, Dunn's River Falls in St. Ann, and the Kingston Harbour which is one of the largest natural harbours in the world.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Jamaica Browse all
Surround yourself in the heart of negril soaking up the sun by day and enjoy the buzzing nightlife
- Metro Offer: Book and Save upto £100 per person!
- Activities at the resort includes windsurfing, sailing,water skiing and much more
- Trip Advisor Winners of Excellence
- Rooms with stunning views of the caribbean
Enjoy the priviliges of bygone days at secrets st. james montego bay, an Adults Only Romantic resort with Unlimited-Luxury Privileges
- Relax & Unwind at the Secrets Spa by Pevonia or watch a live show at the open-air theatre
- Indulge in a host of international cuisine, or dine in with 24-hr room service
- Huge savings when you upgrade to a Preferred Club room or Preferred Club Junior Suite
- Enjoy a range of activities including sailing, snorkelling, windsurfing and tennis
Enjoy free round-trip transfers and complimentary golf at the nearby Negril Hill Golf Course
- Enjoy a holiday of a lifetime with various extras including free round trip transfers and complimentary 18-hole golf at the nearby Negril Hill Golf Course
- 24-Hour Gourmet Dining, Premium Alcoholic Beverages & Soft Drinks
- Choice of 5 unique restaurants and 4 Bars including a Swim-up bar
- Complimentary excursions including a trip to a popular sunset bar or a brillant catamaran cruise
Indulge and revel in the lap of luxury with that special someone when you visit Jamaica.
- This adults-only hotel boasts ultimate tranquility
- Have an enjoyable evening with the nightly theme parties & live entertainment
- Enjoy endless daytime activities such snorkelling, sailing, basketball, catamarans & More
Experience firsthand the enchantment of Jamaica's magical Montego Bay as you enjoy the holiday of a lifetime. The Hilton...
Enjoy the perfect setting for a romantic honeymoon or tropical wedding at the all inclusive Mangos Jamaica. This adults...
An exclusive, romantic Jamaican holiday awaits you at the Secrets St. James Montego Bay on a secluded beach with a...
Spoil yourself with a week of sun and sand at one of Jamaica's most beautiful beaches. Your eight days in Rooms On The...
Holiday Inn Sunspree Resort Montego Bay offers a magical location on the beachfront nestled amidst luxury tropical...
Bringing the essence of all things Jamaican to life, the Shaw Park Beach Hotel and Spa is the quintessential Caribbean...