Jamaica celebrates success in attracting UK holiday-makers
Recent figures from the Office for National Statistics have revealed that despite the fall in outbound travel for UK travellers between 2008 and 2009, the number of tourists from the UK enjoying Jamaica holidays increased during this period.
The Jamaica Tourist Board is celebrating recent figures released from the Office for National Statistics which showed that despite many UK travellers abandoning overseas holidays between 2008 and 2009, the Caribbean Island saw an increase in UK tourists taking Jamaica holidays.
The figures showed that outbound travel from UK travellers during 2008 and 2009 fell at its sharpest rate since the 1970's because of the effects of the global recession.
Director of Tourism at the Jamaica Tourist Board, John Lynch, said:
"This is no mean feat for Jamaica. In 2009, Brits were abandoning overseas holidays at the fastest rate in decades and yet they flocked to Jamaica's shores in increased numbers.
"Even with the whole of Europe on their doorstep, UK holidaymakers recognised the great value, huge variety and quality of tourism product offered in Jamaica. We should all be very proud of this achievement."
Three countries were identified in the report conducted by Travel Trends as seeing an increase in UK visitors; Jamaica, Egypt and Lithuania.
The increase in UK travellers enjoying holidays in Jamaica might have something to do with Jamaica being named as the leading destination in the Caribbean at the World Travel Awards from 2006 to 2009.
The stunning tropical island is located in the Caribbean Sea 90 miles south of Cuba and is made of stunning white powder sand fringed with swaying palm trees; sparking crystal waters; rich vegetation; and a tropical climate.
Jamaica is rich in history and culture and the relaxed and laid-back atmosphere is evident throughout the island and Jamaica hotels and resorts.
Home to the Blue Mountains, the island offers plenty of activities and sights for travellers enjoying Jamaica holidays including the Blue Lagoon in Portland, Dunn's River Falls in St. Ann, and the Kingston Harbour which is one of the largest natural harbours in the world.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Jamaica Browse all
Whether it's gliding down waterslides, riding a pirate ship or just relaxing on a lazy river at Pirate's Paradise Waterpark, there's fun for everyone guaranteed!
- July Special offers now in place with savings until 2019
- Unlimited-Fun® All Inclusive Resort with a selection of dining options for all the family
- On-site Waterpark featuring a Pirate ship, a lazy river and two waterslides
Enjoy the affordable Holiday Inn Resort Montego Bay with a fantastic location
- Two Children, 12 years of age and younger stay and eat free of charge
- Choose thrilling water sports while your kids enjoy the Children's activity centre
- Summer 2018 Sale now extended, save £250 per person
- Enjoy buffet or a la carte meals as part of the All Inclusive concept at five on-site restaurants
Freedom of choice is what it's all about at this adult-only hotel, hedonism ii designed for pure self indulgence of the body, spirit and soul
- Dance the night away at the Famous Club Hurricane Nightclub
- Indulge in the wide selection of food & unlimited drinks including top shelf brands
- Enjoy a vast array of facilities including Kayaking, Water-Skiing, Snorkelling & more
Immerse yourself in a vareity of complimentary activities, excursions and spa treatments at Moon Palace Jamaica
- Relish complimentary perks including a bottle of red wine upon arrival, spa treatments, tours, activities and much more
- Don't miss out on this incredible offer Kids 17 and under stay, play and eat free and a saving of upto 14%
- Incredible resort credit upto $2500 FREE to be used to swim with dolphins, upgrade your wine, spa treatments and much more!
Treat yourself to Jamaican sunshine perfectly paired with all-inclusive delights at Sunscape Splash Montego Bay. Located...
Experience firsthand the enchantment of Jamaica's magical Montego Bay as you enjoy the holiday of a lifetime. The Hilton...
Montego Bay is simply a picture postcard made real. Secrets Wild Orchid sits in one of Jamaica's premier resorts,...
Spoil yourself with a week of sun and sand at one of Jamaica's most beautiful beaches. Your eight days in Rooms On The...
Treat yourself to a week in the island of sun, tropical beauty and reggae music. Your place of retreat will be the place...
Take a sun-kissed break from the stresses of everyday life whilst on a getaway to the Caribbean. Nestled one mile away...