Increase in Middle East travellers enjoying Sri Lanka holidays
According to the Sri Lanka Tourism Development Authority, the number of travellers from the Middle Eastern region of Bahrain enjoying Sri Lanka holidays has increased by 145 percent during the first half of this year.
The number of Middle East travellers taking Sri Lanka holidays is rising according to the Sri Lanka Tourism Development Authority. In the first half of 2010, there was a 142 percent increase in visitors from Bahrain on Sri Lanka holidays and a 102 percent increase in general Middle Eastern travellers visiting the region.
Middle East Director of Sri Lanka Tourism Promotion Bureau, Heba Al Mansoori, explained:
"Regardless of apprehensions of an unsteady global economy, Middle East travellers are spending time and money on travel and Sri Lanka has been one of the preferred destinations with a meteoric rise in tourists during the first half of the year.
"While 2009 was when the recovery process started, with the end of three decades of war, the rebound has been robust and rapid and the recovery is being driven and led by the Middle East with strong growth from key markets including the UAE which was up by 209pc, Saudi Arabia up by 96pc, Qatar by 252pc and Kuwait up by 95pc.
"Sri Lanka's tourism industry is resilient and the government is sparing no efforts to revitalise the industry as they recognise that tourism has a key role to play in the country's economic recovery and stability."
The surge in visitors enjoying holidays in Sri Lanka are welcomed by local business, Sri Lanka hotels and the tourism industry after a turbulent 25 years with the civil war. Since the war ended last year, the stunning island saw an almost instant increase in tourist booking Sri Lanka holidays and business trips.
Mansoori added: "Our outlook remains positive for the rest of the year as we have successfully built a relationship of trust with both regional consumers and the travel trade and will continue to reap benefits with the gradually improving economic situation."
"In the Middle East in particular, travelling closer and for shorter periods of time and demanding value for money, seem to have been accentuated during the post-crisis period.
"The regional outbound market is evolving and inescapably requires changes as we need to know and understand consumers better to be able to market to them."
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Sri Lanka Browse all
Located in Negombo, on the west coast of Sri Lanka, Club Dolphin offers a relaxing and comfortable stay at the heart of one of Asia's most diverse countries.
- Cottages are spread throughout the gardens and have air conditioning, mini fridge and cable TV
- Club Dolphin is set in acres of coconut groves, beside a golden sand beach and backing onto a canal
- The hotel has two pools, one activity pool and a quiet pool, with the main pool winding through the resort
Discover local life in a fishing village, explore rainforests, Temples and much more on Sri Lanka's West Coast, and enjoy great value for money
- All rooms include a balcony or terrace with either Partial Sea View or Ocean View
- Enjoy Yoga, Snooker, access to 2 Swimming Pools & much more
- Access to the Sahana Spa and leave your daily stress behind with the magical touch of various spa treatments
Private tour visiting many great cities such as Sigiriya, Polonnaruwa and Kandy
- English speaking chauffer guide for the Entire Round Tour
- Enjoy the game drive through Minneriya National Park which is a home to sambar deer, leopards and elephants and features the ancient Minneriya Tank
- The Highlights of Sri Lanka Private Tour showcases some of the most interesting cultural and historic sites in the world
Marvel at the Magnificent Taj Mahal and discover the Forts of Rajasthan then head south to enjoy an all inclusive beach holiday in Sri Lanka
- Enjoy a Horse Carriage & ride while visiting the Taj Mahal & Elephant Ride to Amber Fort*
- Enjoy a Rajasthani Feast in Jaipur
- Complete your stay with an All Inclusive break in Sri Lanka - Staying at the Beachside Haven Tangerine Beach
Sri Lanka has quietly become a leading tourist destination as tourists seek to soak up the sunshine that pours down on...
The Highlights of Sri Lanka Private Tour and Beach showcases some of the most cultural and historic sites in the world,...
Sri Lanka is the land of endless natural beauty, with ancient sight and cultural treasure, you'll be sure to embark on a...
Surrounded by vast paddy fields and exceptional natural beauty, the Kithala Resort is a true tropical haven as one...
Set upon Sri Lanka’s southern coast, the Hibiscus Beach Hotel offers tranquillity and seclusion at an affordable price....