F&B Exhibition & Culinary Event promoted Maldives holidays
Running for the 6th consecutive year, an event to promote F&B and hotel equipment across Maldives resorts was recently held in the island including a culinary challenge in which various Maldives hotels participated as competitors.
The Hotel Asia 2010 Exhibition and Culinary Challenge, an event held annually to promote F&B and hotel equipment in the Maldives and to highlight the quality of Maldives holidays and hotels, was recently held from 5-7th July 2010, with representatives from the Sri Lanka holiday market making up 30% of the exhibitors. This marked the 10th consecutive year that the event is being held as one of the largest events in the Maldives holidays industry that showcases food, drink, foodservice, hospitality and hotel equipment industries.
Celebrating its 6th edition, Hotel Asia has established itself as a must attend event for the Hotel/Resort and Foodservice sectors and is regarded by many as one of the most important industry events in South Asia. About 5000 visitors from the resorts and the business community were expected to attend.
Participating countries were India, Sri Lanka, Dubai, U.S., Australia, New Zealand, Italy, Malaysia, South Africa, Germany, France and Switzerland.
As part of the event, the ever popular Culinary Challenge was also held for the 6th consecutive year, with Maldives hotels and resorts taking part in the competition.
During the challenge, visitors were able to meet hundreds of food and beverage executives over a span of three days making it a dynamic marketplace for face-to-face business and industry innovation.
About 40 resorts participated in the event with 300 entries coming in from the Maldives. There were no Sri Lankan representations from Sri Lanka hotels with the target being on the Maldivian chefs.
The culinary challenge is one of the highly anticipated events at Hotel Asia where many chefs from the local resorts and hotels take part vying for top honours.
Alan Palmer, world renowned chef and Member of the World Association of Chef's Societies (WACS) will be the Chief Judge for the event. The certificates issued at this Culinary Challenge are highly recognised worldwide and are considered a major achievement in the eyes of the participants.
Overall Sri Lanka was notably the dominant country participating at the exhibition with 50 stalls showcasing all that Sri Lanka holidays have to offer, out of a total of 140 stalls being run by 32 companies participating from Sri Lanka.
The Maldivian President and the US Ambassador to the Maldives was present at the Inauguration on 5th July to give participants a warm welcome to the events.
Also during the event a series of seminars were conducted by chefs, with eminent Sri Lankan chef Gerard Mendis set to conduct a seminar on behalf of Unilever.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Maldives Browse all
Paradise Island suits a range of lifestyles from relaxing at the Araamu Spa to surfing the great waves.
- This magnificent spa is almost completely surrounded by the azure waters of the Indian Ocean, creating a perfect location for relaxing and theraputic treatments
- Paradise island is just one kilometre long and 230 metres wide, surrounded by pristine beaches and off shore reefs that teem with excellent marine life waiting for guests to explore
- fresh produce arrives daily for the master chef and team to deliver sumptuous dishes, delicately flavoured. Restaurants include japanese, italian, 24 hour a la carte coffee shop and main restaurant serving international buffets
See what the Maldives really has to offer at Velassaru Maldives, with a great array of excursions.
- Fantastic selection of excursions from night snorkelling to fishing to a trip to Male to having an island all to yourself!
- As well as chilling on the beach or visiting the Spa, why not go an practice the ancient art of Yoga?
- Five wonderful dining venues and two exciting bars means you have a range of options depending on what mood you are in
Explore an underwater world of breathtaking beauty and laze on the finest white sands at Sun Island Resort, a tropical paradise of peace and serenity.
- including return transfers by speed boat
- Enjoy endless activities including scuba diving, snorkelling, water-skiing and more
- Tickle your taste buds with rich flavours and innovative cuisine that incorporates exotic Thai and Oriental influences
Sun Island is al elegant and serene paradise in the Indian Ocean whilst Media Rotana is perfectly positioned for you to explore the wonders of Dubai.
- Both properties have restaurants that cover dishes from around the world
- Media Rotana is perfectly located in the centre of Dubai, within easy reach of shopping centres, the gold souk and Dubai's famous creek
- Sun Island lies in the South Ari Atoll, and is surrounded by wide beaches of fine sand and offshore waters that house underwater gardens full of marine life
The Nalaguraidhoo Island of the Maldives is one of the most sublime coastal landscapes you'll ever lay eyes, what with...
Let everything go as you observe breath-taking landscapes during a relaxing stay at the amazing Velassaru Maldives...
Venture to the Lhaviyani Atoll in the Maldives islands to experience a holiday like no other. This section of the...
Escape from day-to-day life for a while and take refuge in the Asian paradise of the Maldives while you spend 8 days...
True Maldivian style comes to the fore at Reethi Beach Resort, situated on the tiny Baa Atoll. The PADI 5-star Dive...
Get away from the mundane and enjoy eight days of uninterrupted sun and sand on the shores of one of the most sought...