Cuba holidays for the plantation lovers, intactly preserved
Cuba proudly preserves one-of-a-kind coffee plantations from the 19th century, adding much historical and cultural value to holidays in Pinar del Rio, Cuba's most eastern city with a wealth of tobacco and coffee plantations.
For fascinating Cuba holidays exploring the island's wild and historical countryside might give visitors a taste of the country's rich plantation past and present. As testimony of an agricultural culture almost inexistent in other places of the world, the magnificently preserved ruins of Cuba's coffee plantations set by French immigrants in the early 19th century, add great historical value to the beauty of the Rosario Range, in the western territory of Pinar del Rio.
As fugitives running to the island after the events of the Haitian Revolution, the Europeans fostered the growing of coffee in the mountains of the south-eastern region, 31,69 miles from the capital of Havana.
Curious travellers wanting to get a taste of its history during Cuba holidays will be able to do so by staying at the conveniently situated resort nearby as some of these plantations are located close to the Las Terrazas tourist resort.
After several centuries, remains of the coffee plantations are still preserved there, where visitors marvel at the high specialisation level they were designed in. Along with vestiges of the original structure of the fields, these once-magnificent plantations stand as mute witnesses of different agroindustrial techniques and samples of an architecture style similar to that incinerated by the Europeans before leaving Haiti.
Original elements of houses, plantations, trails, coffee pulping machines and dryers can be found hrere, since it is an ongoing concern and effort for specialists to preserve that part of the Antillean history, which in this case rises among clouds in an amazingly beautiful space.
In this amazing region Cuba holidays are nothing short of awe-inspiring; the Buena Vista plantation rises some 787,40 feet over the sea level with road access to its location and stands as one of the best panoramic viewpoints of the Cuban west.
It is worth stressing that the prosperity achieved by the French encouraged those plantations in the mountains of Pinar del Rio, where some 60 estates of the time have been identified belonging to rich Cubans, Spanish and English.
The experts prioritise the study and restoration process, while make reference to other signs of French influence in constructions of Pinar del Rio city, as well as the tradition of gardening and the good taste for the fine arts.
In addition to the coffee plantations located in the Biosphere Reserve of the Rosario Range, those on Cuba holidays still hungry for more platation-style journeys have plenty of exploring to do in other areas as the country accounts with other 191 plantations created by the immigration flow in the provinces of Santiago de Cuba and Guantanamo, the latter with 32 estates recognised as the sixth Cuban point registered by the UNESCO as World Heritage Site.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
The unlimited heaven of tranquillity in a perfect setting
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
Fall in love with Havana and its captivating heritage before being dazzled by the pristine shores of Varadero
- You will be staying in luxurious hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly and offer the best of both worlds whether you are looking to adventure or relax
- Experience the best of the world famous Varadero Beach where white sand is lapped by clear water when staying at Melia Varadero
- Enjoy a Welcome cocktail and a bottle of cava on arrival in Havana and Varadero
Expect Luxury, comfort and relaxation!
- Relish fantastic eating and drinking options 24 hours a day
- Enjoy spa treatments, water and land sports and more for a fun-filled break
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 18th Oct
- Enjoy complimentary perks, including a bottle of sparkling wine, a romantic dinner for two, plus a 30 min massage per couple.
One of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the Capri is a legendary property with over...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Start your holiday at The Melia Habana Hotel, located in the heart of the elegant Miramar district, overlooking the sea....
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Explore the historic and cultural wonders of Cuba's spellbinding capital as you unwind over an eight-day getaway. Havana...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...