Cuba holidays for the plantation lovers, intactly preserved
Cuba proudly preserves one-of-a-kind coffee plantations from the 19th century, adding much historical and cultural value to holidays in Pinar del Rio, Cuba's most eastern city with a wealth of tobacco and coffee plantations.
For fascinating Cuba holidays exploring the island's wild and historical countryside might give visitors a taste of the country's rich plantation past and present. As testimony of an agricultural culture almost inexistent in other places of the world, the magnificently preserved ruins of Cuba's coffee plantations set by French immigrants in the early 19th century, add great historical value to the beauty of the Rosario Range, in the western territory of Pinar del Rio.
As fugitives running to the island after the events of the Haitian Revolution, the Europeans fostered the growing of coffee in the mountains of the south-eastern region, 31,69 miles from the capital of Havana.
Curious travellers wanting to get a taste of its history during Cuba holidays will be able to do so by staying at the conveniently situated resort nearby as some of these plantations are located close to the Las Terrazas tourist resort.
After several centuries, remains of the coffee plantations are still preserved there, where visitors marvel at the high specialisation level they were designed in. Along with vestiges of the original structure of the fields, these once-magnificent plantations stand as mute witnesses of different agroindustrial techniques and samples of an architecture style similar to that incinerated by the Europeans before leaving Haiti.
Original elements of houses, plantations, trails, coffee pulping machines and dryers can be found hrere, since it is an ongoing concern and effort for specialists to preserve that part of the Antillean history, which in this case rises among clouds in an amazingly beautiful space.
In this amazing region Cuba holidays are nothing short of awe-inspiring; the Buena Vista plantation rises some 787,40 feet over the sea level with road access to its location and stands as one of the best panoramic viewpoints of the Cuban west.
It is worth stressing that the prosperity achieved by the French encouraged those plantations in the mountains of Pinar del Rio, where some 60 estates of the time have been identified belonging to rich Cubans, Spanish and English.
The experts prioritise the study and restoration process, while make reference to other signs of French influence in constructions of Pinar del Rio city, as well as the tradition of gardening and the good taste for the fine arts.
In addition to the coffee plantations located in the Biosphere Reserve of the Rosario Range, those on Cuba holidays still hungry for more platation-style journeys have plenty of exploring to do in other areas as the country accounts with other 191 plantations created by the immigration flow in the provinces of Santiago de Cuba and Guantanamo, the latter with 32 estates recognised as the sixth Cuban point registered by the UNESCO as World Heritage Site.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Delight in the best Cuba has to offer with this stunning beach and city twin centre holiday
- Add Havana half-day tour from £49pp, taking in Revolution Square, Malecón and the UNESCO World Heritage Site of Old Havana
- Iberostar Tainos is designed in the style of a traditional Caribbean village with two-storey bungalows that comprise spacious and elegant rooms
- Enjoy a historic stay in Havana at the NH Capri Hotel, which opened in 1957 and was initially run by the mafia
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
Discover the relaxing Varadero and sink into sublim tranquillity
- Experience the beauty of Varadero Beach where you can relax and unwind on the tranquil white sandy beaches whilst enjoying the 24-hrs All-inclusive offered at the Luxurious Iberostar Varadero
- Stay in Havana's most highly rated hotel, with an iconic location facing Central Park
- Discover Cuba whilst staying at the 2 Top rated TripAdvisor hotels in Cuba
Soak up the history and culture in Havana before a luxurious stay at one of Varadero's most stunning beachfront resorts
- Rooftop swimming pool and jacuzzi at Parque Central where you can look over the spectacular city of Havana
- Bella Vista sits on Varadero's pristine stretch of beach with 24-Hour all-inclusive services
- Endless range of facilities and activities for the perfect stay in your beachfront paradise
- Discover Havana’s timeless, charismatic and bustling streets with a Havana city tour
One of Havana's most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the NH Capri is a legendary property with over...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Discover the cultural and historical treasures of Havana as you're treated to 5-star service at the Iberostar Parque...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Look out onto the day to day life of Havana's streets from the Casa Santy's balconies, with its great location and a...