Cuba holidays for the plantation lovers, intactly preserved
Cuba proudly preserves one-of-a-kind coffee plantations from the 19th century, adding much historical and cultural value to holidays in Pinar del Rio, Cuba's most eastern city with a wealth of tobacco and coffee plantations.
For fascinating Cuba holidays exploring the island's wild and historical countryside might give visitors a taste of the country's rich plantation past and present. As testimony of an agricultural culture almost inexistent in other places of the world, the magnificently preserved ruins of Cuba's coffee plantations set by French immigrants in the early 19th century, add great historical value to the beauty of the Rosario Range, in the western territory of Pinar del Rio.
As fugitives running to the island after the events of the Haitian Revolution, the Europeans fostered the growing of coffee in the mountains of the south-eastern region, 31,69 miles from the capital of Havana.
Curious travellers wanting to get a taste of its history during Cuba holidays will be able to do so by staying at the conveniently situated resort nearby as some of these plantations are located close to the Las Terrazas tourist resort.
After several centuries, remains of the coffee plantations are still preserved there, where visitors marvel at the high specialisation level they were designed in. Along with vestiges of the original structure of the fields, these once-magnificent plantations stand as mute witnesses of different agroindustrial techniques and samples of an architecture style similar to that incinerated by the Europeans before leaving Haiti.
Original elements of houses, plantations, trails, coffee pulping machines and dryers can be found hrere, since it is an ongoing concern and effort for specialists to preserve that part of the Antillean history, which in this case rises among clouds in an amazingly beautiful space.
In this amazing region Cuba holidays are nothing short of awe-inspiring; the Buena Vista plantation rises some 787,40 feet over the sea level with road access to its location and stands as one of the best panoramic viewpoints of the Cuban west.
It is worth stressing that the prosperity achieved by the French encouraged those plantations in the mountains of Pinar del Rio, where some 60 estates of the time have been identified belonging to rich Cubans, Spanish and English.
The experts prioritise the study and restoration process, while make reference to other signs of French influence in constructions of Pinar del Rio city, as well as the tradition of gardening and the good taste for the fine arts.
In addition to the coffee plantations located in the Biosphere Reserve of the Rosario Range, those on Cuba holidays still hungry for more platation-style journeys have plenty of exploring to do in other areas as the country accounts with other 191 plantations created by the immigration flow in the provinces of Santiago de Cuba and Guantanamo, the latter with 32 estates recognised as the sixth Cuban point registered by the UNESCO as World Heritage Site.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 17:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Dive into the warm water of Varadero beach and relax under the caribbean sunshine
- Enjoy a fantastic tour
- Book now and benefit from huge savings with the launch of the new Virgin Atlantic to Varadero offer!
- Suites feature a separate living area and Tropical suites feature breathtaking views of the sea
- Golf lovers can play on the nearby Varadero 18 hole golf course
A superb combination of great accommodation and exciting activities make this resort one of Cuba's hottest properties
- Enjoy a complimentary Cultural Presentation
- Previous winner of the Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence, and ranked in the top 5 Hotels in Varadero
- Full range of Spa treatments for a more relaxing break, or a selection of water and land sports to choose from for the more active traveller
- Couples can benefit from a free bottle of sparkling wine and a romantic dinner for two, plus a 30 min massage per couple
Enjoy a summer holiday of a lifetime staying at two amazing hotels in both Havana and Varadero
- Book now to receive our exclusive Couples offer which includes a bottle of cava on arrival in both hotels, turndown service in the evenings and a guaranteed reservation in the a la carte restaurants in Varadero and much more
- This offer includes a free Historical Havana Tour
- Experience Havana's vintage vibe & Varadero's soft white-sand beaches all in one trip
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Soak up the history of Havana as well as the magnificence of Varadero beach on an unforgettable twin centre holiday to...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Bellevue Palma Real Varadero is a special hotel as it is authentically Cuban in every respect, from the food to the...