CARICOM seeks best way forward for the marketing of Caribbean holidays
During the recent 31st Meeting of the Conference of Heads of Government held in Montego Bay, Jamaica, members of the CARICOM community discussed the future of Caribbean holidays as they tried to find the best way to market this destination.
The future of Caribbean holidays was recently discussed during a conference held between the members of The Caribbean Community (CARICOM) and how to better market the region as a top holiday destination was the main topic discussed.
Jamaica's Prime Minister Bruce Golding and CARICOM's new chairman said that it was not because of indecisiveness that CARICOM has not agreed to implement any of the possible funding programmes for marketing Caribbean holidays as a generic destination.
He pointed out that these financing options include a budgetary provision from respective countries, or a tax on airline tickets. "That's something we have been wrestling for quite some time. Bear in mind (that) a number of countries, including ourselves (and) the Bahamas, because of the impact of the global crisis, have already had to dip our hands into that tourism pool of market, and we have had to extract more revenue from it, more taxes," he explained.
Golding spoke at the closing press conference held on Wednesday, during the final day of the 31st Meeting of the Conference of Heads of Government in Montego Bay, Jamaica.
He noted, for example, that Bahamas holidays had been affected as the country saw themselves forced to impose a significant increase in taxes on arriving passengers to meet budgetary expenses.
"We are at a point where were have virtually exhausted the capacity of air tickets to absorb any more taxes. Now would not be an appropriate time for us to go and visit more taxes on them," he asserted.
On a last note, Golding pointed out that the imposition of the APD in Britain was already impacting the flow of tourists coming from and going through Britain, thus impairing the growth of Caribbean holidays among British travellers.
"Some countries felt that we need to keep working on it. We remain committed, and we will have to determine whether we can get through this period of fiscal crisis, to the point where we can either make a budgetary provision, or (are able to) tweak a little bit more revenue out of incoming passengers. We have to work on an appropriate way to do it," Golding said.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 19:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Caribbean and Costa Rica Browse all
Delight in the best Cuba has to offer with this stunning beach and city twin centre holiday
- Add Havana half-day tour from £49pp, taking in Revolution Square, Malecón and the UNESCO World Heritage Site of Old Havana
- Iberostar Tainos is designed in the style of a traditional Caribbean village with two-storey bungalows that comprise spacious and elegant rooms
- Enjoy a historic stay in Havana at the NH Capri Hotel, which opened in 1957 and was initially run by the mafia
Fall in love with Havana and its captivating heritage before being dazzled by the pristine shores of Varadero
- This package offers little touches to make your holiday extra special including a Welcome cocktail and a bottle of cava on arrival in Havana and Varadero
- You will be staying in luxurious hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly and offer the best of both worlds whether you are looking for adventure or relaxation
- Experience the best of the world famous Varadero Beach where white sand is lapped by the clear waters when staying at Melia Varadero
Discover the relaxing Varadero and sink into sublim tranquillity
- Experience the beauty of Varadero Beach where you can relax and unwind on the tranquil white sandy beaches whilst enjoying the 24-hrs All-inclusive offered at the Luxurious Iberostar Varadero
- Stay in Havana's most highly rated hotel, with an iconic location facing Central Park
- Discover Cuba whilst staying at the 2 Top rated TripAdvisor hotels in Cuba
Soak up the history and culture in Havana before a luxurious stay at one of Varadero's most stunning beachfront resorts
- Rooftop swimming pool and jacuzzi at Parque Central where you can look over the spectacular city of Havana
- Bella Vista sits on Varadero's pristine stretch of beach with 24-Hour all-inclusive services
- Endless range of facilities and activities for the perfect stay in your beachfront paradise
- Discover Havana’s timeless, charismatic and bustling streets with a Havana city tour
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Discover the cultural and historical treasures of Havana as you're treated to 5-star service at the Iberostar Parque...
Take a holiday to the Caribbean resort of Cancun in Mexico. In the magnificent Moon Palace Cancun you will be perfectly...
You can enjoy all the aspects of this charming island, as the elegant eco-friendly property is located near all the...
Come to the beautiful island of Barbados and feel the magic of the Caribbean sun. Seven rejuvenating days in the...
Create unforgettable memories at the heart of Barbados' western coast at a collection of one bedroom apartments. Halcyon...