CARICOM seeks best way forward for the marketing of Caribbean holidays
During the recent 31st Meeting of the Conference of Heads of Government held in Montego Bay, Jamaica, members of the CARICOM community discussed the future of Caribbean holidays as they tried to find the best way to market this destination.
The future of Caribbean holidays was recently discussed during a conference held between the members of The Caribbean Community (CARICOM) and how to better market the region as a top holiday destination was the main topic discussed.
Jamaica's Prime Minister Bruce Golding and CARICOM's new chairman said that it was not because of indecisiveness that CARICOM has not agreed to implement any of the possible funding programmes for marketing Caribbean holidays as a generic destination.
He pointed out that these financing options include a budgetary provision from respective countries, or a tax on airline tickets. "That's something we have been wrestling for quite some time. Bear in mind (that) a number of countries, including ourselves (and) the Bahamas, because of the impact of the global crisis, have already had to dip our hands into that tourism pool of market, and we have had to extract more revenue from it, more taxes," he explained.
Golding spoke at the closing press conference held on Wednesday, during the final day of the 31st Meeting of the Conference of Heads of Government in Montego Bay, Jamaica.
He noted, for example, that Bahamas holidays had been affected as the country saw themselves forced to impose a significant increase in taxes on arriving passengers to meet budgetary expenses.
"We are at a point where were have virtually exhausted the capacity of air tickets to absorb any more taxes. Now would not be an appropriate time for us to go and visit more taxes on them," he asserted.
On a last note, Golding pointed out that the imposition of the APD in Britain was already impacting the flow of tourists coming from and going through Britain, thus impairing the growth of Caribbean holidays among British travellers.
"Some countries felt that we need to keep working on it. We remain committed, and we will have to determine whether we can get through this period of fiscal crisis, to the point where we can either make a budgetary provision, or (are able to) tweak a little bit more revenue out of incoming passengers. We have to work on an appropriate way to do it," Golding said.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Caribbean and Costa Rica Browse all
Stay close to all the action in a fabulous resort that's part of a beautiful ecological reserve and sits right next to Xcaret, Cancun's number one theme park.
- Exclusive discount to the eco-archaeological Xcaret Park
- Enjoy access to 11 Restaurants and 10 Bars & access to 5 Swimming Pools
- Limitless all-inclusive fun and thrills for everyone in a beautiful eco-reserve facing a glorious beach
The unlimited heaven of tranquility in a perfect setting
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
Enjoy a summer holiday of a lifetime staying at two amazing hotels in both Havana and Varadero
- Enjoy water sports on the Varadero beach, relax by the hotel pool, sample a refreshing cocktail
- Book now to receive our exclusive Couples offer which includes a bottle of cava on arrival in both hotels, turndown service in the evenings and a guaranteed reservation in the a la carte restaurants in Varadero and much more
- Experience Havana's vintage vibe & Varadero's soft white-sand beaches all in one trip
One of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the Capri is a legendary property with over...
Soak up the history of Havana as well as the magnificence of Varadero beach on an unforgettable twin centre holiday to...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Escape to the pristine beaches of the south coast of Barbados for a holiday you will never forget. This is the perfect...
St Lawrence Gap is famous for its many restaurants, great shopping and lively nightlife. This 1.3 km stretch of road,...
This is the place to be if you're looking for a sun-drenched holiday by the sea. Rostrevor Hotel is one of the most...