CARICOM seeks best way forward for the marketing of Caribbean holidays
During the recent 31st Meeting of the Conference of Heads of Government held in Montego Bay, Jamaica, members of the CARICOM community discussed the future of Caribbean holidays as they tried to find the best way to market this destination.
The future of Caribbean holidays was recently discussed during a conference held between the members of The Caribbean Community (CARICOM) and how to better market the region as a top holiday destination was the main topic discussed.
Jamaica's Prime Minister Bruce Golding and CARICOM's new chairman said that it was not because of indecisiveness that CARICOM has not agreed to implement any of the possible funding programmes for marketing Caribbean holidays as a generic destination.
He pointed out that these financing options include a budgetary provision from respective countries, or a tax on airline tickets. "That's something we have been wrestling for quite some time. Bear in mind (that) a number of countries, including ourselves (and) the Bahamas, because of the impact of the global crisis, have already had to dip our hands into that tourism pool of market, and we have had to extract more revenue from it, more taxes," he explained.
Golding spoke at the closing press conference held on Wednesday, during the final day of the 31st Meeting of the Conference of Heads of Government in Montego Bay, Jamaica.
He noted, for example, that Bahamas holidays had been affected as the country saw themselves forced to impose a significant increase in taxes on arriving passengers to meet budgetary expenses.
"We are at a point where were have virtually exhausted the capacity of air tickets to absorb any more taxes. Now would not be an appropriate time for us to go and visit more taxes on them," he asserted.
On a last note, Golding pointed out that the imposition of the APD in Britain was already impacting the flow of tourists coming from and going through Britain, thus impairing the growth of Caribbean holidays among British travellers.
"Some countries felt that we need to keep working on it. We remain committed, and we will have to determine whether we can get through this period of fiscal crisis, to the point where we can either make a budgetary provision, or (are able to) tweak a little bit more revenue out of incoming passengers. We have to work on an appropriate way to do it," Golding said.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Caribbean and Costa Rica Browse all
Be Live Collection Punta Cana offers Pristine white beaches, swaying palms and a pulsating Latin vibe
Head to where the sun shines and enjoy a week-long holiday by the sparkling turquoise beaches of Punta Cana. Here you'll find endless fun for all the family as well as plenty of relaxing options for adults.
- 24-Hour All-Inclusive Service
- Enjoy unlimited access to a white soda beach that's perfect for snorkelling
- World class facilities for all the family plus children stay for half the price
Stay at the luxurious Dreams resort with various benefits including a room upgrade to make your holiday extra special
- Huge Savings when staying in Preferred Club rooms or suites
- Enjoy moonlit themed parties, great music shows and outdoor cinema screenings on the beach
- A wide choice of a la carte themed restaurants and chic bars ensure there is something to suit everyone
- The Explorer's Kids Club has a fully supervised children's programme with various different activities
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
The unlimited heaven of tranquility in a perfect setting
- Well located in the heart of Havana's historic Old town, close to Central Park and minutes away from the National Theatre, the Capitol and Hemingway's favourite bar, the Floridita
- Iberostar Parque Central is a great base to discover all this unique city has to offer
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero such as erobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and much more.
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
If you're searching for the perfect combination of beach fun and natural discovery, look no further. Home to ancient...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Escape to the pristine beaches of the south coast of Barbados for a holiday you will never forget. This is the perfect...
An intimate collection of One Bedroom Apartments located in the heart of the West Coast of Barbados. Halcyon Palm offers...
Fancy a charming and adventurous holiday? Why not try our twin centre package that allows you to explore the contagious...