CARICOM seeks best way forward for the marketing of Caribbean holidays
During the recent 31st Meeting of the Conference of Heads of Government held in Montego Bay, Jamaica, members of the CARICOM community discussed the future of Caribbean holidays as they tried to find the best way to market this destination.
The future of Caribbean holidays was recently discussed during a conference held between the members of The Caribbean Community (CARICOM) and how to better market the region as a top holiday destination was the main topic discussed.
Jamaica's Prime Minister Bruce Golding and CARICOM's new chairman said that it was not because of indecisiveness that CARICOM has not agreed to implement any of the possible funding programmes for marketing Caribbean holidays as a generic destination.
He pointed out that these financing options include a budgetary provision from respective countries, or a tax on airline tickets. "That's something we have been wrestling for quite some time. Bear in mind (that) a number of countries, including ourselves (and) the Bahamas, because of the impact of the global crisis, have already had to dip our hands into that tourism pool of market, and we have had to extract more revenue from it, more taxes," he explained.
Golding spoke at the closing press conference held on Wednesday, during the final day of the 31st Meeting of the Conference of Heads of Government in Montego Bay, Jamaica.
He noted, for example, that Bahamas holidays had been affected as the country saw themselves forced to impose a significant increase in taxes on arriving passengers to meet budgetary expenses.
"We are at a point where were have virtually exhausted the capacity of air tickets to absorb any more taxes. Now would not be an appropriate time for us to go and visit more taxes on them," he asserted.
On a last note, Golding pointed out that the imposition of the APD in Britain was already impacting the flow of tourists coming from and going through Britain, thus impairing the growth of Caribbean holidays among British travellers.
"Some countries felt that we need to keep working on it. We remain committed, and we will have to determine whether we can get through this period of fiscal crisis, to the point where we can either make a budgetary provision, or (are able to) tweak a little bit more revenue out of incoming passengers. We have to work on an appropriate way to do it," Golding said.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Caribbean and Costa Rica Browse all
Escape to Cuba's sunkissed sands and enjoy what Club Amigo Aguas Azules has to offer for an amazing price!
- Varadero History and Nature Tour Included
- Located on one of the best beaches in Varadero
- Excellent selection of 4 restaurants, 3 a la carte and a choice of 4 bars
Discover Be Live Collection Punta Cana's pristine white beaches, swaying palms and pulsating Latin vibe
Enjoy a fabulous holiday by the sparkling turquoise beaches of Punta Cana where you'll find endless fun as well as plenty of relaxing options
- Enjoy 24-Hour All-Inclusive Service
- Enjoy unlimited access to a fantastic beach that's perfect for snorkelling
- Great facilities for all the family plus children stay for half the price
Enjoy the exciting nightlife the Melia Marina Varadero Hotel has to offer, whilst relaxing during the day in the beautiful accommodation
- Melia Marina Varadero Hotel is ideally located 300m from the beach in an ecological reserve with a dolphinarium and caves to explore
- Incredible all-inclusive benefits with dining at 9 restaurants at Melia Marina Varadero Hotel
- Excellent watersports facilities including yachting, fishing and diving
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
If you're searching for the perfect combination of beach fun and natural discovery, look no further. Home to ancient...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Fancy a charming and adventurous holiday? Why not try our twin centre package that allows you to explore the contagious...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...