President speaks of success for Maldives holidays at opening of Hotel Asia Exhibition 2010
This year's Hotel Asia Exhibition and Culinary Challenge was opened by President Mohamed Nasheed who said that tourism and Maldives holidays were amongst the most successful industries in the region.
The opening ceremony was held at Dharubaaruge earlier this week and President Nasheed stated that the tourism industry had grown over the years and had given better returns for investment than other industries in the Maldives. The President said that "mainly because the government has stayed away from participating in this industry."
During his speech, President Nasheed highlighted the importance of creating a diverse tourism industry which would encourage middle income tourists to book Maldives holidays. Leaders in the tourism industry have also stated that they are interested in building a tourism market aimed at middle income tourists enjoying holidays in the Maldives.
President Nasheed said: "For that end, the government has revised its taxation policies, tendering policies and all the other related issues that hinges upon the development of this industry."
The decision to lease of Male International Airport was also a topic of discussion by the President. He said: "We all understand that development of tourism hinges upon a good airport facility. And we all understand how badly our present airport needs renovations and improvement", he said
The contract was awarded to Malaysia Airport Holdings and GMR Group for the building and operation of the new airport. The President added that the development "would bring our airport back to the best standards that is available internationally or anywhere else [in] the region."
This year was the sixth Hotel Asia Exhibition & Culinary Challenge which took place from 5th - 7th July. The event attracts the largest gathering of Maldives holidays experts and hospitality industry professionals.
The Maldives are an island nation situated in the Indian Ocean which attracts thousands of each visitors each year. The idyllic destination is popular with honeymooners and couples enjoying romantic Maldives holidays.
The island features some of the most stunning scenery in the world with white sugar sand beaches, sparkling azure ocean and a collection of luxury Maldives hotels and villas. At just a couple of metres above sea level, the Maldives is the lowest country in the world making it a diver's paradise with an array of beautiful coral reef and crystal clear waters.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Maldives Browse all
Explore stunning coral reefs in your private piece of heaven on earth where the sparkling white sands will caress your toes as the warm turquoise waters gently kiss your skin.
- Breakfast, lunch and dinner, snacks, top-shelf beverages and selected sports all come included in the price of your stay
- Discover the stunning coral reefs, go out on a fishing trip or have a go at water skiing, amongst other activities
- Overlook the Indian Ocean from your room and step out onto the white soft sands the Maldives is famous for
Kurumba Island is a dream resort with so much to dazzle guests that most return over and over again.
- Choose from an ample choice of excellent dining options, top recreational activities and fantastic entertainment
- Just a 10-minute boat drive to paradise nestled amidst tropical gardens and white sandy beaches
- For keen marine enthusiasts a house reef is only a few feet away from the island
Do the castaway experience in style and live your Robinson Crusoe dream
- Lose yourself in over 3 km of pristine beaches and aquamarine lagoons
- Beautiful bungalows nestled in the tropical gardens or on the beach, right over the lagoon
- Sample mouth-watering delights at a wide selection of dining options from flavours of the Orient to Mediterranean delights
Follow secret pathways through tropical gardens, savour exquisite cuisine, scuba dive to spot whale sharks or simply chill on the sands...
- Special touches include: cinema screenings on the beach, secret bars and a message in a bottle with a hidden surprise
- Enjoy access to some of Maldives' most beautiful dive sites and explore the depths of the Indian Ocean
- Take your pick from seven exquisite restaurants and six lively bars
The Nalaguraidhoo Island of the Maldives is one of the most sublime coastal landscapes you'll ever lay eyes, what with...
Venture to the Lhaviyani Atoll in the Maldives islands to experience a holiday like no other. This section of the...
If you are looking for serenity and tranquillity coupled with luxurious elegance, then Adaaran Select Meedhupparu is the...
Fun Island offers a wonderful blend of ‘Fun and Sun’. The Massive lagoon of the island provides ideal conditions for a...
Escape from day-to-day life for a while and take refuge in the Asian paradise of the Maldives while you spend 8 days...
Located on Lankanfinolhu Island in the North Male Atoll, Paradise Island is one of the largest resorts in the Maldives....