Cuba holidays closer than ever to becoming a reality for American citizens
After the House Agriculture Committee approved House Resolution 4645, which if granted would lift the current travel ban to Cuba imposed on American citizens, there is much hope that soon Americans will be able to travel to the island without restrictions
Cuba travel and taking Cuba holidays may soon become a reality for American citizens who up to now had been banned from travelling to the island due to a 50-year long policy that strictly prohibits Americans from entering the Caribbean nation, with the exception only of those with Cuban relatives living in the island.
And yes, during the policy's 50-year long lifespan we have heard this before, but this time it seems it could actually happen after a motion was approved, signalling the biggest step ever towards allowing Americans to visit the island and take sunny breaks in "the pearl of the Caribbean".
Last Wednesday, the House Agriculture Committee approved House Resolution 4645, which would lift the travel ban to Cuba, the only country in the world to which the U.S. government prohibits visits by its citizens, whether for business or leisure.
Passing the resolution was an important first step toward bringing the bill to a vote on the House floor. It would be the first time in many years that there would be a floor vote scheduled - and a real chance to repeal the travel restrictions and once and for all see Americans freely taking Cuba holidays.
"We applaud the Agriculture Committee for recommending H.R. 4645 to the House for a full vote to finally put an end to this Cold War relic," said attorney Anjana Samant from the Centre for Constitutional Rights "Upholding open dialogue, free exchange of ideas and the human right to travel are essential to a democracy - it is time to end the hypocrisy of U.S. policy toward Cuba."
"This bill, which will put more American food on Cuba's tables, and put more American visitors on Cuba's streets, will be good for our economy and provide needed support for the Cuban people," said CDA executive director Sarah Stephens.
On the other as should have been expected - recalcitrant anti-Castro politicians and lobbyists are mobilising against the legislation and pushing forward to keep Americans from taking holidays in Cuba and injecting money into the communist Castro government.
As reported in the Congressional newspaper The Hill, Cuban-American Sen. Robert Menéndez (D-N.J.) issued a statement on Wednesday stating his intention to block the bill. As Senatorial Campaign Committee chairman, Menéndez has in the past used his influence to put the brakes on any attempt by the Obama administration to improve relations with Havana.
"I oppose and will filibuster any attempt to pass the [Peterson-Moran] bill in the Senate," said Menéndez in reaffirming his undying support for the United States' 50-year-old policy toward Cuba.
It is urgent for Menéndez - who is U.S.-born, has never been to Cuba and doesn't know the reality of the Cuban people's daily life and the positive outcome that an interaction between Cubans and Americans on Cuba holidays could bring for both nations.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
The unlimited heaven of tranquillity in a perfect setting
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
Fall in love with Havana and its captivating heritage before being dazzled by the pristine shores of Varadero
- You will be staying in luxurious hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly and offer the best of both worlds whether you are looking to adventure or relax
- Experience the best of the world famous Varadero Beach where white sand is lapped by clear water when staying at Melia Varadero
- Enjoy a Welcome cocktail and a bottle of cava on arrival in Havana and Varadero
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 18th Oct
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
- Blau Vardero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
One of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the Capri is a legendary property with over...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Start your holiday at The Melia Habana Hotel, located in the heart of the elegant Miramar district, overlooking the sea....
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Explore the historic and cultural wonders of Cuba's spellbinding capital as you unwind over an eight-day getaway. Havana...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...