Cuba holidays closer than ever to becoming a reality for American citizens
After the House Agriculture Committee approved House Resolution 4645, which if granted would lift the current travel ban to Cuba imposed on American citizens, there is much hope that soon Americans will be able to travel to the island without restrictions
Cuba travel and taking Cuba holidays may soon become a reality for American citizens who up to now had been banned from travelling to the island due to a 50-year long policy that strictly prohibits Americans from entering the Caribbean nation, with the exception only of those with Cuban relatives living in the island.
And yes, during the policy's 50-year long lifespan we have heard this before, but this time it seems it could actually happen after a motion was approved, signalling the biggest step ever towards allowing Americans to visit the island and take sunny breaks in "the pearl of the Caribbean".
Last Wednesday, the House Agriculture Committee approved House Resolution 4645, which would lift the travel ban to Cuba, the only country in the world to which the U.S. government prohibits visits by its citizens, whether for business or leisure.
Passing the resolution was an important first step toward bringing the bill to a vote on the House floor. It would be the first time in many years that there would be a floor vote scheduled - and a real chance to repeal the travel restrictions and once and for all see Americans freely taking Cuba holidays.
"We applaud the Agriculture Committee for recommending H.R. 4645 to the House for a full vote to finally put an end to this Cold War relic," said attorney Anjana Samant from the Centre for Constitutional Rights "Upholding open dialogue, free exchange of ideas and the human right to travel are essential to a democracy - it is time to end the hypocrisy of U.S. policy toward Cuba."
"This bill, which will put more American food on Cuba's tables, and put more American visitors on Cuba's streets, will be good for our economy and provide needed support for the Cuban people," said CDA executive director Sarah Stephens.
On the other as should have been expected - recalcitrant anti-Castro politicians and lobbyists are mobilising against the legislation and pushing forward to keep Americans from taking holidays in Cuba and injecting money into the communist Castro government.
As reported in the Congressional newspaper The Hill, Cuban-American Sen. Robert Menéndez (D-N.J.) issued a statement on Wednesday stating his intention to block the bill. As Senatorial Campaign Committee chairman, Menéndez has in the past used his influence to put the brakes on any attempt by the Obama administration to improve relations with Havana.
"I oppose and will filibuster any attempt to pass the [Peterson-Moran] bill in the Senate," said Menéndez in reaffirming his undying support for the United States' 50-year-old policy toward Cuba.
It is urgent for Menéndez - who is U.S.-born, has never been to Cuba and doesn't know the reality of the Cuban people's daily life and the positive outcome that an interaction between Cubans and Americans on Cuba holidays could bring for both nations.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Dive into the warm water of Varadero beach and relax under the caribbean sunshine
- Enjoy a fantastic tour
- Book now and benefit from huge savings with the launch of the new Virgin Atlantic to Varadero offer!
- Suites feature a separate living area and Tropical suites feature breathtaking views of the sea
- Golf lovers can play on the nearby Varadero 18 hole golf course
A superb combination of great accommodation and exciting activities make this resort one of Cuba's hottest properties
- Previous winner of the Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence, and ranked in the top 5 Hotels in Varadero
- Full range of Spa treatments for a more relaxing break, or a selection of water and land sports to choose from for the more active traveller
- Couples can benefit from a free bottle of sparkling wine and a romantic dinner for two, plus a 30 min massage per couple
Indulge in a couples special retreat that includes a Deluxe Havana City Break and Luxury Adults-Only All Inclusive Beach Escape in Varadero
- The perfect 5* multi centre mixing exciting city life with a pampering beach retreat in romantic Cuba
- The luxury all suite Paradisus Princesa Del Mar Resort and Spa is situated on the pristine Varadero beach
- Melia Habana is the perfect base for exploring all that Cuba has to offer and also offers a free shuttle to and from the Old City Centre
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Soak up the history of Havana as well as the magnificence of Varadero beach on an unforgettable twin centre holiday to...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Bellevue Palma Real Varadero is a special hotel as it is authentically Cuban in every respect, from the food to the...