Cuba holidays closer than ever to becoming a reality for American citizens
After the House Agriculture Committee approved House Resolution 4645, which if granted would lift the current travel ban to Cuba imposed on American citizens, there is much hope that soon Americans will be able to travel to the island without restrictions
Cuba travel and taking Cuba holidays may soon become a reality for American citizens who up to now had been banned from travelling to the island due to a 50-year long policy that strictly prohibits Americans from entering the Caribbean nation, with the exception only of those with Cuban relatives living in the island.
And yes, during the policy's 50-year long lifespan we have heard this before, but this time it seems it could actually happen after a motion was approved, signalling the biggest step ever towards allowing Americans to visit the island and take sunny breaks in "the pearl of the Caribbean".
Last Wednesday, the House Agriculture Committee approved House Resolution 4645, which would lift the travel ban to Cuba, the only country in the world to which the U.S. government prohibits visits by its citizens, whether for business or leisure.
Passing the resolution was an important first step toward bringing the bill to a vote on the House floor. It would be the first time in many years that there would be a floor vote scheduled - and a real chance to repeal the travel restrictions and once and for all see Americans freely taking Cuba holidays.
"We applaud the Agriculture Committee for recommending H.R. 4645 to the House for a full vote to finally put an end to this Cold War relic," said attorney Anjana Samant from the Centre for Constitutional Rights "Upholding open dialogue, free exchange of ideas and the human right to travel are essential to a democracy - it is time to end the hypocrisy of U.S. policy toward Cuba."
"This bill, which will put more American food on Cuba's tables, and put more American visitors on Cuba's streets, will be good for our economy and provide needed support for the Cuban people," said CDA executive director Sarah Stephens.
On the other as should have been expected - recalcitrant anti-Castro politicians and lobbyists are mobilising against the legislation and pushing forward to keep Americans from taking holidays in Cuba and injecting money into the communist Castro government.
As reported in the Congressional newspaper The Hill, Cuban-American Sen. Robert Menéndez (D-N.J.) issued a statement on Wednesday stating his intention to block the bill. As Senatorial Campaign Committee chairman, Menéndez has in the past used his influence to put the brakes on any attempt by the Obama administration to improve relations with Havana.
"I oppose and will filibuster any attempt to pass the [Peterson-Moran] bill in the Senate," said Menéndez in reaffirming his undying support for the United States' 50-year-old policy toward Cuba.
It is urgent for Menéndez - who is U.S.-born, has never been to Cuba and doesn't know the reality of the Cuban people's daily life and the positive outcome that an interaction between Cubans and Americans on Cuba holidays could bring for both nations.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Delight in the best Cuba has to offer with this stunning beach and city twin centre holiday
- Add Havana half-day tour from £49pp, taking in Revolution Square, Malecón and the UNESCO World Heritage Site of Old Havana
- Iberostar Tainos is designed in the style of a traditional Caribbean village with two-storey bungalows that comprise spacious and elegant rooms
- Enjoy a historic stay in Havana at the NH Capri Hotel, which opened in 1957 and was initially run by the mafia
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
Discover the relaxing Varadero and sink into sublim tranquillity
- Experience the beauty of Varadero Beach where you can relax and unwind on the tranquil white sandy beaches whilst enjoying the 24-hrs All-inclusive offered at the Luxurious Iberostar Varadero
- Stay in Havana's most highly rated hotel, with an iconic location facing Central Park
- Discover Cuba whilst staying at the 2 Top rated TripAdvisor hotels in Cuba
Soak up the history and culture in Havana before a luxurious stay at one of Varadero's most stunning beachfront resorts
- Rooftop swimming pool and jacuzzi at Parque Central where you can look over the spectacular city of Havana
- Bella Vista sits on Varadero's pristine stretch of beach with 24-Hour all-inclusive services
- Endless range of facilities and activities for the perfect stay in your beachfront paradise
- Discover Havana’s timeless, charismatic and bustling streets with a Havana city tour
One of Havana's most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the NH Capri is a legendary property with over...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Discover the cultural and historical treasures of Havana as you're treated to 5-star service at the Iberostar Parque...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Look out onto the day to day life of Havana's streets from the Casa Santy's balconies, with its great location and a...