For the safety of Caribbean holidays countries in the region renew hurricane hurricane and earthquake coverage
In order to better prepare the region's inhabitants as well as look after the safety of prospective visitors, all members of the Caribbean Catastrophe Risk Insurance Facility have renewed their hurricane and earthquake policies for the 2010/2011 season.
All sixteen members of the Caribbean Catastrophe Risk Insurance Facility (CCRIF) have renewed their policies for hurricane and earthquake coverage for the 2010/11 year beginning on 1 June – the start of the hurricane season.
The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration forecast estimates an 85% chance of an above normal hurricane season this year. This could have serious implications for Caribbean islands and potential losses, especially given the poor economic conditions still affecting the region. This therefore makes the need for CCRIF even stronger.
For 2010/2011, policy pricing was again reduced as part of CCRIF’s planned strategy to minimise premium costs to its participating countries. Another change to the new policies is that they are now based on CCRIF’s second generation model which represents the levels of hurricane and earthquake risks faced in the Caribbean region at higher resolution than the initial model.
For example, the hurricane model now explicitly includes losses due to storm surge. Completion of the new modelling platform will also enable CCRIF to more easily develop and implement additional products beyond hurricane and earthquake coverage, for example the excess rainfall product, which is expected to be available by year-end.
These two factors contributed to some changes in coverage characteristics selected by governments and also led to a general increase in coverage limits for the 2010/11 policies. Most countries maintained premiums at the same level as last year.
As a result of increased appreciation of seismic risk following the Haiti earthquake in January, twelve countries increased their coverage limit for earthquakes.
In recognition of the exceptional fiscal challenges which the region continues to face this year due to the global economic crisis, CCRIF explored a number of channels to ease the premium burden on participants.
This included internal mechanisms as well as engagement with the donor community. A number of countries were able to take advantage of these channels, and CCRIF will continue to pursue opportunities for providing assistance and attracting funding to build disaster resilience within its member governments and the broader Caribbean region.
Recognising that current policies provide a cost-effective solution for just one part of the larger comprehensive disaster management process, CCRIF continues to develop partnerships throughout the region and around the world to assist in better understanding and implementing a broad range of disaster risk management tools to support sustainable development in the face of growing natural catastrophe risk.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 17:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Caribbean and Costa Rica Browse all
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
Fall in love with Havana and its captivating heritage before being dazzled by the pristine shores of Varadero
- You will be staying in luxurious hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly and offer the best of both worlds whether you are looking to adventure or relax
- Experience the best of the world famous Varadero Beach where white sand is lapped by clear water when staying at Melia Varadero
- Enjoy a Welcome cocktail and a bottle of cava on arrival in Havana and Varadero
Use up to $2000 resort credit to indulge in spa treatments, golf sessions or a selection of excursions that will make your Cancun holiday truly unforgettable.
- Duran Duran in concert at Moon Palace on 29th December (tickets additional cost)
- Winner of the Trip Advisor 2015 Travellers Choice Award
- Enjoy the impressive $2000 Resort Credit per booking that you can spend on golf, spa treatments, dolphin swims, visit to Chichen Itza, Express Tour of Tulum, Family fun days out at the Wet 'N' Wild Waterpark and much more
- Whether you are looking for an active holiday or a relaxing break, Moon Palace Resort is an ideal destination for travellers of all ages
The unlimited heaven of tranquillity in a perfect setting
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Start your holiday at The Melia Habana Hotel, located in the heart of the elegant Miramar district, overlooking the sea....
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...
Look out onto the day to day life of Havana's streets from the Casa Santy's balconies, with its great location and a...