Celebrating Chinese culture during Cuba holidays
Those going on Cuba holidays in the next couple of weeks will be able to celebrate Chinese culture in a rare festival event to be held on 17th and 18th July in Havana, offering them the chance to explore how Cubans with Chinese descent preserve traditions
Energetic, culture lovers from all backgrounds will be able to enjoy a rare and unique festival during their Cuba holidays in Havana if they happen to be travelling to the island this July. On 17th and 18th July this year Cuba will hold a Chinese festival at the Havana ExpoCuba Fairground, an official said revealed on Tuesday.
Highlighting the many aspects of Chinese culture that have left a mark on the island since the first early arrivals of Cantonese immigrants during the 1800s. Even when the island nowadays only has a total of less than 300 pure-blooded Chinese Cubans in the whole country, the culture has been somewhat preserved by its mixed descendants, that still carry slight Chinese features inherited from their ancestors.
The scheduled activities include a performance of the Shenzhen Aihua Chinese Folk and Traditional Orchestra, which will offer two concerts in the capital city on Wednesday afternoon and on Thursday night, said Alfredo Ruiz from the city's culture ministry.
Cuba counts with over 150 years of Chinese culture in its history and those planning to take Cuba holidays during the festival can give their Cuba holidays a rare Oriental twist as they take part in celebrations of Far Eastern traditions.
The two-day event will also see a performance of the Cuban School of Wushu, parades of Chinese ethnic costumes and photo exhibitions.
Photo exhibitions are also on display and the Shenzhen Aihua Chinese Folk and Traditional Orchestra will play two concerts on the first afternoon and second evening, the publication continues, citing Alfredo Ruiz from the Culture Ministry.
Tours of Havana might take in some of the proceedings as most of the events are scheduled to appear in the capital city, the news source remarks.
Those still hungry for more Chinese culture during their Cuba holidays, can visit Havana's Chinese Quarter or Barrio Chino, a small neighbourhood with plenty of Chinese restaurants serving delicious Asian dishes with a Cuban twist. Some of the restaurants are so popular among locals and visitors that during the evenings diners may have to queue up to get in. So planning ahead is a must, depending which Chinese restaurant you choose to dine in, to find out about what the best ones are, ask locally or ask staff working at front desks of Havana hotels.
Those interested in the arts of dance can also plan ahead and take Autumn Cuba holidays to attend the International Ballet Festival, scheduled to take place in the island between October 28th and November 6th, What's on When has informed.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Dive into the warm water of Varadero beach and relax under the caribbean sunshine
- Enjoy a fantastic Varadero City Tour
- Suites feature a separate living area and Tropical suites feature breathtaking views of the sea
- Golf lovers can play on the nearby Varadero 18 hole golf course
- Book now and benefit from huge savings with the launch of the new Virgin Atlantic to Varadero offer!
Escape to Cuba's sunkissed sands and enjoy what Club Amigo Aguas Azules has to offer for an amazing price!
- All inclusive features a buffet restaurant, 2 a la carte restaurants and a choice of 4 bars (Local Sprits, Wine, beer & soft drinks served)
- Fantastic all-inclusive package with unlimited drinks 24/7
- Excellent selection of bars and restaurants Offers 4 restaurants, 3 a la carte and a choice of 4 bars
Combine exploring the iconic and pulsating city of Havana with a relaxing summer retreat to the stunning Varadero beach.
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- The plethora of activities and classes that will cater for every taste.
- A Complimentary shuttle to the iconic city of Havana
- A Luxurious and comfortable stay with 5* amenities
An unforgettable holiday experience combining the vibrant life of Havana and the relaxing beach at Varadero
- Upgrade to The Royalton Hicacos Diamond Club and benefit from personalized check in, exclusive beach area, room service 24 hours and much more
- Benefit from the multiple swimming pools and a wide variety of non-motorised water sports in Varadero
- Couples can enjoy little 'extras' at Melia Habana Hotel, offering a sparkling wine and chocolates on arrival
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Take a holiday to enjoy the abundant natural beauty of one of Cuba's leading resorts, Varadero. This locale is known for...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Escape to Cuba on your next holiday and book a stay at the Villa Tortuga Hotel in Varadero. It is an all inclusive hotel...