Celebrating Chinese culture during Cuba holidays
Those going on Cuba holidays in the next couple of weeks will be able to celebrate Chinese culture in a rare festival event to be held on 17th and 18th July in Havana, offering them the chance to explore how Cubans with Chinese descent preserve traditions
Energetic, culture lovers from all backgrounds will be able to enjoy a rare and unique festival during their Cuba holidays in Havana if they happen to be travelling to the island this July. On 17th and 18th July this year Cuba will hold a Chinese festival at the Havana ExpoCuba Fairground, an official said revealed on Tuesday.
Highlighting the many aspects of Chinese culture that have left a mark on the island since the first early arrivals of Cantonese immigrants during the 1800s. Even when the island nowadays only has a total of less than 300 pure-blooded Chinese Cubans in the whole country, the culture has been somewhat preserved by its mixed descendants, that still carry slight Chinese features inherited from their ancestors.
The scheduled activities include a performance of the Shenzhen Aihua Chinese Folk and Traditional Orchestra, which will offer two concerts in the capital city on Wednesday afternoon and on Thursday night, said Alfredo Ruiz from the city's culture ministry.
Cuba counts with over 150 years of Chinese culture in its history and those planning to take Cuba holidays during the festival can give their Cuba holidays a rare Oriental twist as they take part in celebrations of Far Eastern traditions.
The two-day event will also see a performance of the Cuban School of Wushu, parades of Chinese ethnic costumes and photo exhibitions.
Photo exhibitions are also on display and the Shenzhen Aihua Chinese Folk and Traditional Orchestra will play two concerts on the first afternoon and second evening, the publication continues, citing Alfredo Ruiz from the Culture Ministry.
Tours of Havana might take in some of the proceedings as most of the events are scheduled to appear in the capital city, the news source remarks.
Those still hungry for more Chinese culture during their Cuba holidays, can visit Havana's Chinese Quarter or Barrio Chino, a small neighbourhood with plenty of Chinese restaurants serving delicious Asian dishes with a Cuban twist. Some of the restaurants are so popular among locals and visitors that during the evenings diners may have to queue up to get in. So planning ahead is a must, depending which Chinese restaurant you choose to dine in, to find out about what the best ones are, ask locally or ask staff working at front desks of Havana hotels.
Those interested in the arts of dance can also plan ahead and take Autumn Cuba holidays to attend the International Ballet Festival, scheduled to take place in the island between October 28th and November 6th, What's on When has informed.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Enjoy the long list of fun options for all the family or bask on Varadero's pure white sands
- Located on a gorgeous stretch of Varadero beach.
- Enjoy 24-hour all-inclusive service.
- Sample a host of activities including snorkelling, kayaking, windsurfing, golf and more.
Enjoy an amazing twin centre full of enjoyment for everyone at occidental miramar and breezes bella costa
The two hotels combine for an amazing holiday experience fit for everyone from couples to families at occidental miramar and breezes bella
- The Memories Miramar Havana is located in an elegant residential neighbourhood of Miramar and enjoys beautiful ocean views
- Both hotels offer fantastic amenities and facilities which makes the hotels a great choice for both families and couples
- Bella Costa is located on one of the world's finest beaches - Varadero
Experience Vibrant Havana and relaxing Varadero at melia habana hotel and melia marina varadero hotel
Enjoy a summer holiday of a lifetime staying at two amazing hotels in both Havana and Varadero that will give you the perfect opportunity to explore all that Cuba has to offer at melia habana hotel and melia marina varadero hotel
- Book early and benefit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Melia Marina Varadero offers modern amenities and services including a fitness centre, spa and a kids club
- Exclusive extras are offered in both hotels, including a romantic dinner for two in Varadero and a half day tour in Havana
- Melia Habana enjoys an excellent location in Miramar, close to old Havana and offers stunning views of the city and its northern coast
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Fancy a charming and adventurous holiday? Why not try our twin centre package that allows you to explore the contagious...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...