Celebrating Chinese culture during Cuba holidays
Those going on Cuba holidays in the next couple of weeks will be able to celebrate Chinese culture in a rare festival event to be held on 17th and 18th July in Havana, offering them the chance to explore how Cubans with Chinese descent preserve traditions
Energetic, culture lovers from all backgrounds will be able to enjoy a rare and unique festival during their Cuba holidays in Havana if they happen to be travelling to the island this July. On 17th and 18th July this year Cuba will hold a Chinese festival at the Havana ExpoCuba Fairground, an official said revealed on Tuesday.
Highlighting the many aspects of Chinese culture that have left a mark on the island since the first early arrivals of Cantonese immigrants during the 1800s. Even when the island nowadays only has a total of less than 300 pure-blooded Chinese Cubans in the whole country, the culture has been somewhat preserved by its mixed descendants, that still carry slight Chinese features inherited from their ancestors.
The scheduled activities include a performance of the Shenzhen Aihua Chinese Folk and Traditional Orchestra, which will offer two concerts in the capital city on Wednesday afternoon and on Thursday night, said Alfredo Ruiz from the city's culture ministry.
Cuba counts with over 150 years of Chinese culture in its history and those planning to take Cuba holidays during the festival can give their Cuba holidays a rare Oriental twist as they take part in celebrations of Far Eastern traditions.
The two-day event will also see a performance of the Cuban School of Wushu, parades of Chinese ethnic costumes and photo exhibitions.
Photo exhibitions are also on display and the Shenzhen Aihua Chinese Folk and Traditional Orchestra will play two concerts on the first afternoon and second evening, the publication continues, citing Alfredo Ruiz from the Culture Ministry.
Tours of Havana might take in some of the proceedings as most of the events are scheduled to appear in the capital city, the news source remarks.
Those still hungry for more Chinese culture during their Cuba holidays, can visit Havana's Chinese Quarter or Barrio Chino, a small neighbourhood with plenty of Chinese restaurants serving delicious Asian dishes with a Cuban twist. Some of the restaurants are so popular among locals and visitors that during the evenings diners may have to queue up to get in. So planning ahead is a must, depending which Chinese restaurant you choose to dine in, to find out about what the best ones are, ask locally or ask staff working at front desks of Havana hotels.
Those interested in the arts of dance can also plan ahead and take Autumn Cuba holidays to attend the International Ballet Festival, scheduled to take place in the island between October 28th and November 6th, What's on When has informed.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 19:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
With great watersports galore, your winter-sun holiday can be one to remember in Cuba
- Try your hand at some adrenaline-pumping water sports including sailing, windsurfing and diving
- If you’re not up for a night on the tiles you can simply chill out at the resort and enjoy the evening’s entertainment
- If you’re a night-owl you won’t be able to resist Varadero’s buzzing nightlife
A superb combination of great accommodation and exciting activities make this resort one of Cuba's hottest properties
- Previous winner of the Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence, and ranked in the top 5 Hotels in Varadero
- Full range of Spa treatments for a more relaxing break, or a selection of water and land sports to choose from for the more active traveller
- Enjoy a range of tours and excursions
- Couples can benefit from a free bottle of sparkling wine and a romantic dinner for two, plus a 30 min massage per couple
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 08th Feb
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
- Blau Varadero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Start your holiday at The Melia Habana Hotel, located in the heart of the elegant Miramar district, overlooking the sea....
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...