Minister of Tourism Anticipates Sports Tourism Link with Brazil as GOL launches New Barbados Flights
As the low cost airline, GOL, launches new flights from Brazil to Barbados, the routes not only offer opportunities for Barbados holidays but they will also open up the sporting prospects which could also prove to be beneficial to the island's tourism.
According to the Minister of Tourism, Richard Sealy, the new flight links between Brazil and Barbados could open up the opportunities for sport and cultural events which will benefit the Caribbean island’s tourism sector and increase the number of travellers booking Barbados holidays.
Sealy stated a Barbados Tourism Authority Press Conference that he believe sports including football, polo, and hockey could benefit from the new series of flights which have recently been launched by GOL airline.
Sealy said: “There are all kinds of opportunities for many sports, namely football, hockey and polo. I would like to think that sports tourism could benefit a great deal from teams coming from Brazil, the largest country in South America."
“It may not necessarily be a national team but there are club, state and school sides who would relish the chance to visit here.
“I will wait to see to what extent some of the sporting organizations here will take advantage of it. The prices are affordable. It is certainly cheaper than going to Europe,” he added.
Last weekend, the low-cost airline, GOL, launched non-stop six-hour flights from Sao Paolo-Guarulhos International Airport in Brazil to Grantley Adams International Airport in Bridgetown, Barbados, providing a new route for travellers taking holidays in Barbados and Brazil.
GOLS’s GOL's Market Vice-President, Claudia Pagnano, said: "We will be the only Brazilian airline to offer regular flights to Barbados.
"Our operation will reduce the journey time of Brazilians visiting this destination by several hours. Currently the fastest route is via the United States."
Travellers can set off on their Barbados holidays on a 737 aircraft which will operate on a weekly basis departing Sao Paulo on Saturdays at 4:35pm local time and arriving in Bridgetown at 9:15pm. The return flights will depart Bridgetown at 10:00pm on Saturdays and arrive in Sao Paulo on Sundays at 4:35am local time.
The new route is expected to increase the number of travellers from Brazil enjoying Caribbean holidays and open up the opportunities for world-class cultural, musical, and sporting events on the tropical Caribbean island.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Barbados Browse all
Enjoy Barbados at the perfect base on the south coast, stay in Worthing Court Apartment Hotel on beautiful Worthing Beach
- Situated across the road from the stunning Worthing Beach
- Comfortable and equipped units with air conditioning, a daily maid service and a balcony/patio
- Short walk away from shops, restaurants, sporting facilities, supermarkets, bars, night clubs and the beautiful Worthing Beach
Located on the south coast of Barbados with breathtaking ocean views is where Butterfly Beach can be located
- Tradtional Bajan Style hotel that is walking distance from shops, bars and St Lawrence Gap
- Walking distance to Oistins Bay where the popular Oistins Fish Fry is held every Friday night
- Award winning family hotel with many repeat guests over the years
- June Sale extended - with savings of upto 20% for travel up until 2019
The Rostrevor Hotel is a great value, family-run hotel on a prime beachfront setting in St Lawrence Gap , the fashionable and lively strip of Barbados
- Easy access to the shops, bars & restaurants of fashionable St. Lawrence Gap
- One of the most affordable self-catering hotels in Barbados
- Boasts several Trip Advisor Certificates of Excellence and a 2016 Travellers' Choice Award
Be perfectly positioned just a heartbeat away from all the action in Bridgetown and The Gap at Coconut Court Beach Hotel
- Only a short distance from the capital of Bridgetown and St Lawrence Gap; places with lively nightlife and world class restaurants and shops
- FREE roadtrip airport transfers, FREE Bottle of Pirate Punch on arrival, A FREE bottle of Sparkling Wine for Honeymooners and FREE transfers to Bridgetown for shopping
- The family run hotel prides itself on the exceptionally friendly welcome staff extend to all guests
- Savings of up to 40% now available plus up to two children stay and play FREE for stays in 2018 and 2019
You can enjoy all the aspects of this charming island, as the elegant eco-friendly property is located near all the...
Escape to the pristine beaches of the south coast of Barbados for a holiday you will never forget at Coconut Court Beach...
Set in lush gardens beside the azure waters of the Caribbean Sea, The Club Barbados is a tranquil and relaxing haven....
Create unforgettable memories at the heart of Barbados' western coast at a collection of one bedroom apartments. Halcyon...
An intimate collection of One Bedroom Apartments located in the heart of the West Coast of Barbados. Travellers Palm...
St Lawrence Gap is famous for its many restaurants, great shopping and lively nightlife. This 1.3 km stretch of road,...