Record number of Canadians took Jamaica holidays during the winter season
A significant number of Canadian travellers were reported to have taken Jamaica holidays during the winter season, signalling an estimated 11% increase over the same period last year.
Over 130,000 Canadian visitors took Jamaica holidays during the 2009/10 winter tourist season, representing an estimate increase of around 11% over the same period last year.
Minister of Tourism, Edmund Bartlett, confirmed that these figures were the "strongest numbers" ever for Canadian visitors taking Jamaica holidays. He was speaking with a group of Canadian travel partners recently in Toronto.
Speaking to a group of Canadian travel partners, the Minister said that during the recent unrest in Jamaica the tourism infrastructure remained unaffected and continues to be open to serve Canadian travellers and world travellers from all backgrounds interested in making Jamaica their next holiday destination.
"Despite some of the concerns last month, we have had a healthy spring and we have good indications for the summer," Bartlett told the group.
Reminding the travel partners that Jamaica holidays are safe as the country represents a safe holiday destination for tourists, the Minister said the statistics reflected this fact, noting that crime against visitors is 0.1 %.
"Every year Jamaica welcomes millions of visitors from around the world, and the overwhelming majority of these visitors experience festivals, events, attractions and shopping completely free from incident," he explained.
Giving an update on the state of the country's tourism sector and Jamaica holidays in general, Bartlett said growth, which has blossomed over the last decade, has continued. He also noted that Jamaica holidays offer more attractions than any other Caribbean destination.
Turning to the Montego Bay Convention Centre, which is expected to be completed by January, the Minister said it is being designed as a modern state of the art facility, capable of hosting large and small meetings, conferences, exhibitions, banquets and other events.
"We will be able to host large groups of Canadians, like never before. The highly anticipated facility is being built on 35 acres of land, and is aimed at strengthening Jamaica's participation in the growing groups and convention market," Bartlett noted.
On the matter of Jamaica's two international airports, the Minister pointed out that they have both undergone upgrades.
"Jamaica is ready to welcome more visitors than ever before; process them efficiently and ensure that their vacation begins and ends with the high standard of excellence which they have come to know and expect from Jamaica," he said.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Jamaica Browse all
Enjoy the affordable Holiday Inn Resort Montego Bay with a fantastic location
- Two Children, 12 years of age and younger stay and eat free of charge
- Choose thrilling water sports while your kids enjoy the Children's activity centre
- Summer 2018 Sale now extended, save £250 per person
- Enjoy buffet or a la carte meals as part of the All Inclusive concept at five on-site restaurants
With a waterpark, onsite Robert Von Hagge Championship Golf Course and a spa for the ultimate in wellbeing, Hilton Rose Hall offers a dream holiday
- 2 Kids 14 and under stay and play free
- Famous for Watersports available on the beach plus a selection of other activities like the championship golf course
- Experience great all-inclusive options at 7 fantastic restaurants, bars and grills from fine dining or casual
Indulge and revel in the lap of luxury at Secrets Wild Orchid Montego Bay with that special someone when you visit Jamaica.
- Have an enjoyable evening with the nightly theme parties & live entertainment
- This adults-only hotel boasts ultimate tranquility and Unlimited All Inclusive
- Enjoy endless daytime activities such snorkelling, sailing, basketball, introductory scuba lessons & more
Discreet luxury at your beck and call under Jamaican sunshine with everything you love, with virtually no limits
Let the most romantic of retreats seduce you and a loved one into a sheer state atof bliss when you stay at Couples Sans Souci.
- Summer Savings with incredible discounts of up to 42% for travel up until 2019
- Includes unlimited premium alcoholic beverages, 24 hour casual to gourmet dining, complimentary airport transfers and more
- Exclusive offsite excursions come included in the package including Dunn's River Falls and Margaritaville
Treat yourself to Jamaican sunshine perfectly paired with all-inclusive delights at Sunscape Splash Montego Bay. Located...
Experience firsthand the enchantment of Jamaica's magical Montego Bay as you enjoy the holiday of a lifetime. The Hilton...
Montego Bay is simply a picture postcard made real. Secrets Wild Orchid sits in one of Jamaica's premier resorts,...
Spoil yourself with a week of sun and sand at one of Jamaica's most beautiful beaches. Your eight days in Rooms On The...
Treat yourself to a week in the island of sun, tropical beauty and reggae music. Your place of retreat will be the place...
Take a sun-kissed break from the stresses of everyday life whilst on a getaway to the Caribbean. Nestled one mile away...