Record number of Canadians took Jamaica holidays during the winter season
A significant number of Canadian travellers were reported to have taken Jamaica holidays during the winter season, signalling an estimated 11% increase over the same period last year.
Over 130,000 Canadian visitors took Jamaica holidays during the 2009/10 winter tourist season, representing an estimate increase of around 11% over the same period last year.
Minister of Tourism, Edmund Bartlett, confirmed that these figures were the "strongest numbers" ever for Canadian visitors taking Jamaica holidays. He was speaking with a group of Canadian travel partners recently in Toronto.
Speaking to a group of Canadian travel partners, the Minister said that during the recent unrest in Jamaica the tourism infrastructure remained unaffected and continues to be open to serve Canadian travellers and world travellers from all backgrounds interested in making Jamaica their next holiday destination.
"Despite some of the concerns last month, we have had a healthy spring and we have good indications for the summer," Bartlett told the group.
Reminding the travel partners that Jamaica holidays are safe as the country represents a safe holiday destination for tourists, the Minister said the statistics reflected this fact, noting that crime against visitors is 0.1 %.
"Every year Jamaica welcomes millions of visitors from around the world, and the overwhelming majority of these visitors experience festivals, events, attractions and shopping completely free from incident," he explained.
Giving an update on the state of the country's tourism sector and Jamaica holidays in general, Bartlett said growth, which has blossomed over the last decade, has continued. He also noted that Jamaica holidays offer more attractions than any other Caribbean destination.
Turning to the Montego Bay Convention Centre, which is expected to be completed by January, the Minister said it is being designed as a modern state of the art facility, capable of hosting large and small meetings, conferences, exhibitions, banquets and other events.
"We will be able to host large groups of Canadians, like never before. The highly anticipated facility is being built on 35 acres of land, and is aimed at strengthening Jamaica's participation in the growing groups and convention market," Bartlett noted.
On the matter of Jamaica's two international airports, the Minister pointed out that they have both undergone upgrades.
"Jamaica is ready to welcome more visitors than ever before; process them efficiently and ensure that their vacation begins and ends with the high standard of excellence which they have come to know and expect from Jamaica," he said.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Jamaica Browse all
With a waterpark, onsite Robert Von Hagge Championship Golf Course and a spa for the ultimate in wellbeing, Hilton Rose Hall offers a dream holiday
- Indulge in a spa treatment or play a round of golf at Cinnamon Hill Golf Course
- Book and save over £500 per family with discounted rates for 2017 and 2018 and up to 2 Kids stay FREE
- Bask on the 2,500 foot private beach or enjoy Sugar Mill Falls park - The biggest aquatic park in the Caribbean
- Experience great all-inclusive options at 7 fantastic restaurants, bars and grills
Enjoy the priviliges of bygone days at secrets st. james montego bay, an Adults Only Romantic resort with Unlimited-Luxury Privileges
- Enjoy huge savings on this amazing hotel including 'Live It Up' for travel in 2018 slashing higher room category prices
- Relax & Unwind at the Secrets Spa by Pevonia or watch a live show at the open-air theatre
- Indulge in a host of international cuisine, or dine in with 24-hr room service
- Enjoy a range of activities including sailing, snorkelling, windsurfing and tennis
Luxury and romance at Secrets Wild Orchid Montego Bay
- Catamaran for the exclusive use by Secrets Resorts & Spas guests
- World-class Spa by Pevonia®
- Exclusively situated on Montego Bay’s breathtaking Peninsula, surrounded by the Caribbean Sea
- Huge savings when you upgrade to a Preferred Club room or Preferred Club Junior Suite
Immerse yourself in a vareity of complimentary activities, excursions and spa treatments
- Relish complimentary perks including a bottle of red wine upon arrival, spa treatments, tours, activities and much more
- Kids Stay, Play and Eat free!
- Incredible resort credit upto $2500 FREE to be used to swim with dolphins, upgrade your wine, spa treatments and much more!
Treat yourself to Jamaican sunshine perfectly paired with all-inclusive delights. Located on the white sand beaches of...
Experience firsthand the enchantment of Jamaica's magical Montego Bay as you enjoy the holiday of a lifetime. The Hilton...
An exclusive, romantic Jamaican holiday awaits you at the Secrets St. James Montego Bay on a secluded beach with a...
Spoil yourself with a week of sun and sand at one of Jamaica's most beautiful beaches. Your eight days in Rooms On The...
Take a sun-kissed break from the stresses of everyday life whilst on a getaway to the Caribbean. Nestled one mile away...
Bringing the essence of all things Jamaican to life, the Shaw Park Beach Hotel and Spa is the quintessential Caribbean...