Record number of Canadians took Jamaica holidays during the winter season
A significant number of Canadian travellers were reported to have taken Jamaica holidays during the winter season, signalling an estimated 11% increase over the same period last year.
Over 130,000 Canadian visitors took Jamaica holidays during the 2009/10 winter tourist season, representing an estimate increase of around 11% over the same period last year.
Minister of Tourism, Edmund Bartlett, confirmed that these figures were the "strongest numbers" ever for Canadian visitors taking Jamaica holidays. He was speaking with a group of Canadian travel partners recently in Toronto.
Speaking to a group of Canadian travel partners, the Minister said that during the recent unrest in Jamaica the tourism infrastructure remained unaffected and continues to be open to serve Canadian travellers and world travellers from all backgrounds interested in making Jamaica their next holiday destination.
"Despite some of the concerns last month, we have had a healthy spring and we have good indications for the summer," Bartlett told the group.
Reminding the travel partners that Jamaica holidays are safe as the country represents a safe holiday destination for tourists, the Minister said the statistics reflected this fact, noting that crime against visitors is 0.1 %.
"Every year Jamaica welcomes millions of visitors from around the world, and the overwhelming majority of these visitors experience festivals, events, attractions and shopping completely free from incident," he explained.
Giving an update on the state of the country's tourism sector and Jamaica holidays in general, Bartlett said growth, which has blossomed over the last decade, has continued. He also noted that Jamaica holidays offer more attractions than any other Caribbean destination.
Turning to the Montego Bay Convention Centre, which is expected to be completed by January, the Minister said it is being designed as a modern state of the art facility, capable of hosting large and small meetings, conferences, exhibitions, banquets and other events.
"We will be able to host large groups of Canadians, like never before. The highly anticipated facility is being built on 35 acres of land, and is aimed at strengthening Jamaica's participation in the growing groups and convention market," Bartlett noted.
On the matter of Jamaica's two international airports, the Minister pointed out that they have both undergone upgrades.
"Jamaica is ready to welcome more visitors than ever before; process them efficiently and ensure that their vacation begins and ends with the high standard of excellence which they have come to know and expect from Jamaica," he said.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 17:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Jamaica Browse all
Surround yourself in the heart of negril soaking up the sun by day and enjoy the buzzing nightlife
- Metro Offer: Book and Save upto £100 per person!
- Activities at the resort includes windsurfing, sailing,water skiing and much more
- Trip Advisor Winners of Excellence
- Rooms with stunning views of the caribbean
Whether it's gliding down waterslides, riding a pirate ship or just relaxing on a lazy river at Pirate's Paradise Waterpark, there's fun for everyone guaranteed!
- The Montego Bay Marine Park location offers protected swimming areas and extraordinary snorkelling
- Summer just got better with upto two kids stay and play for FREE!
- Book now and take advantage of a fantastic room upgrade from a Deluxe Room to a Deluxe Ocean View Room
- Enjoy 24-hour access to food and beverage
Explore the area and enjoy an easy access to all attractions around Falmouth
- Fully equipped fitness centre, watersport activities, tennis court, golf and themed dining evenings to enjoy
- Within 30 minutes by car from Montego Bay International airport and downtown Montego
- Complimentary Wi-fi throughout the hotel
Freedom of choice is what it's all about at this adult-only hotel, hedonism ii designed for pure self indulgence of the body, spirit and soul
- 2018 Early Booking Offer: Stay 7 Pay 6, Stay 14 Pay 11!
- Dance the night away at the Famous Club Hurricane Nightclub
- Indulge in the wide selection of food & unlimited drinks including top shelf brands
- Enjoy a vast array of facilities including Kayaking, Water-Skiing, Snorkelling & more
Experience firsthand the enchantment of Jamaica's magical Montego Bay as you enjoy the holiday of a lifetime. The Hilton...
Enjoy the perfect setting for a romantic honeymoon or tropical wedding at the all inclusive Mangos Jamaica. This adults...
An exclusive, romantic Jamaican holiday awaits you at the Secrets St. James Montego Bay on a secluded beach with a...
Spoil yourself with a week of sun and sand at one of Jamaica's most beautiful beaches. Your eight days in Rooms On The...
Holiday Inn Sunspree Resort Montego Bay offers a magical location on the beachfront nestled amidst luxury tropical...
Bringing the essence of all things Jamaican to life, the Shaw Park Beach Hotel and Spa is the quintessential Caribbean...