Sandos Caracol Eco hotel receives "Travelife Award" for excelling at providing sustainable Cancun holidays
Having earned one of the most prestigious honours in the travel industry, the Sandos Caracol Eco Resort & Spa is the proud receiver of the Gold Travelife Award, in recognition of its ongoing efforts to support sustainability in Mexico's Riviera Maya.
Sandos Caracol Eco Resort & Spa has garnered the prestigious Gold Travelife Award for its commitment to sustainability in the Riviera Maya, Mexico.
“We have been working extremely hard to lead the way when it comes to implementing projects and programs, and involving our staff and guests to participate in activities that will benefit the environment,” said Jacques De Paep, director of sales and marketing, Sandos Hotels & Resorts. “The Gold Award is the highest level awarded by Travelife and we are honored that our commitment is being recognized,” he added.
In order to earn a Travelife Award, the resort is reviewed and monitored by the Travelife Audit which conducts site inspections to ensure superior management of energy, water, chemical usage and community relations. Additionally, Travelife representatives administer employee interviews and reviews employment records and energy bills. There are three levels of awards including Bronze, Silver and Gold. Sandos Hotels & Resorts took home the highest level, the Gold Award, which recognizes the resort’s commitment to sustainability, efforts to encourage others to become involved, initiatives to seek out new opportunities for improvement, and effectiveness to communicate its progress to others.
The extensive variety of ecological programs at Sandos Caracol Eco Resort & Spa includes:
- Reducing Carbon footprint – Sandos Caracol Eco Resort & Spa features a unit that uses new technologies including a pilot system and solar panels to reduce the carbon footprint (CO2 emissions) by 75%. In the near future, the technology will be used on other buildings throughout the resort.- Educating guests – All guests can enjoy a complimentary Eco Tour with a guide that helps participants observe the extraordinary details that the Mayan jungle holds including treasures such as 16 natural cenotes, indigenous animals and exotic fauna. Couples are also given the opportunity to participate in a Romantic Canoe Ride through the cenotes.
- The Sandos Eco Club has been created within the hotel and consists of hotel employees that work closely with the community to engage in beach and neighborhood clean-ups as well as support local children’s foundations.
- An “Extinguish the Light Ignites the Life” program to encourage all personal and guests to save electricity by shutting off lights and air conditioners when leaving rooms.
- “The water that you waste today will be needed tomorrow” is a program that has been designed to reduce unnecessary water use. All personal are encouraged to engage in practices to conserve water and guests are informed of ways that they can help through the resort’s Eco TV channel as well as informational fliers in hotel rooms.
- The use of biodegradable products throughout the hotel.
- Personnel training on environmental practices and techniques.
- Respect to the resort environment by reproducing indigenous plants and protecting and reproducing indigenous wildlife.
- Recycling and separating trash. The resort partnered with a local company, Publimedia Recycling, to collect and separate trash. Recyclable materials are brought to recycling centers in Playa del Carmen.
- Enhancing the fresh water flow system to allow nutrients to flow to mangroves and out to Coral Reefs.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Mexico and Cancun Browse all
Use up to $2000 resort credit to indulge in spa treatments, golf sessions or a selection of excursions that will make your Cancun holiday truly unforgettable.
- Duran Duran in concert at Moon Palace on 29th December (tickets additional cost)
- Winner of the Trip Advisor 2015 Travellers Choice Award
- Enjoy the impressive $2000 Resort Credit per booking that you can spend on golf, spa treatments, dolphin swims, visit to Chichen Itza, Express Tour of Tulum, Family fun days out at the Wet 'N' Wild Waterpark and much more
- Whether you are looking for an active holiday or a relaxing break, Moon Palace Resort is an ideal destination for travellers of all ages
The ideal romantic setting for honeymooners and lovers to enjoy an adults only haven
- Unwind at the lavish Secrets Spa by Pevonia complete with 17 massage rooms and a hypnotherapy circuit
- Unlimited-Luxury concept offering exceptional all-inclusive privileges
- The Adults only resort promises great parties and is just 20 minutes from the nightlife of Cancun
- Travel from May onwards and enjoy a fantastic upgrade to a Preferred Club Junior Suite Pool View
A secluded location at a beautiful all inclusive resort designed for adults only is perfect for a taste of romance enhanced by Mayan wonder
- Enjoy 24 hour room service, pool and beach waiter service, six swimming pools, water sports and more
- Experience fine dining and gourmet cuisine with a choice of nine restaurants
- Relax in style at this all-suite luxury resort situated on a white sand beach
Escape and indulge yourself at the recently opened Secrets The Vine, a haven of natural beauty and elegance on the shores of the Yucatan Peninsula
- Stay in an adults only Uultra deluxe beachside haven in the heart of Cancun sure to provide the perfect base for a great holiday
- Huge Savings when staying in Preferred Club rooms or suites
- Enjoy complimentary green fees at the nearby Playa Mujeres Golf Club
- Unlimited-Luxury privileges include gourmet dining at 7 restaurants and unlimited top-shelf spirits at 8 bars
If you're searching for the perfect combination of beach fun and natural discovery, look no further. Home to ancient...
The Riviera Maya, admired for its history and its wondrous sugar-white sands, kaleidoscope of green palm trees,and deep...
Take a holiday to the Caribbean resort of Cancun in Mexico. In the magnificent Moon Palace Cancun you will be perfectly...
For the ideal combination of natural beauty and fun-filled activities, look no further than Sunscape Sabor Cozumel....
Playacar is simply one of the most scintillating stretches of coastline in Mexico, if not the world. Take eight days to...
Take a trip to the sunny side of life with an 8-day excursion to Mexico's lovely Caribbean Sea coastline. This is widely...