Cuba holidays at the Hotel Nacional in Havana classed as unique as hotel receives award
Having long been one of Havana's most iconic hotels, the legendary Hotel Nacional has recently received the Excellency Award 2010 by British Tour Operator Thomas Cook, in recognition of the outstanding Cuba holiday experiences it creates for its customers
In recognition for having stood for long as one of Havana's landmark buildings and most prestiged of Cuba hotels, El Hotel Nacional de Cuba was recently awarded the Excellency Award 2010. This prestigious honour was awarded by British tour operator Thomas Cook in correspondence with the customer feedback received after returning from their Cuba holidays at the hotel and the various inspections carried out by the company this during the year.
The award was received by the general direction of the hotel, along with all its entire staff, reported being satisfied to receive this important recognition in the year the hotel called the nation turns 80 anniversary.
Thomas Cook represents a large part of total British customers who visit the hotel, most of whom are attracted by its rich history and legendary allure.
Ofent described as a "worldly hotel” on the coastal salient of Punta Brava, on the Taganana hill, toward the far end of the San Lazaro cove --customary site of pirate landings--, the Hotel Nacional de Cuba, opened on December 30, 1930 and has ever since been the “flagship” of Gran Caribe hotels and an iconic building many photograph (on purpose or accidentally as it looks over the Malecon) during their holidays in Cuba.
On the headland of Punta Brava, Corregidor Don Luis Aguilar chastised the British during the seige and assault of Havana. The hotel’s most famous and luxurious restaurant is named after him. Visitors are captivated by the galleries of the gardens that recollect monastic cloisters of Moorish-Spanish arcades, the main hall resembling three parallel aisles of a Medieval church, or the simulated beams of the ceiling that recall an old Catalan monastery with Arab reminiscences. Its eclectic architecture combining Art-Deco, neoclassic and neocolonial designs, the handsome Apartment of the Republic with its direct entrance and the necessary privacy for state guests, and its comfortable Presidential Suite have, time and again, attracted many distinguished personalities from the fields of art, literature, politics, commerce, science and business.
Among its first illustrious guests were artists, actors and writers such as Johny Weissmuller, Buster Keaton, Jose Mujica, Jorge Negrete, Agustin Lara, Tyrone Power, Romulo Gallegos, Errol Flyn, Marlon Brando and the famous Ernest Hemingway, who donated a blue fish specimen to the “Sirena” bar. The guestlist includes well known Italian American gangsters Santos Traficante, Meyer Lansky, Lucky Luciano and Frank Costello. The hotel’s reputation as a deluxe host is backed by patrons such as Winston Churchill, the Duke and Duchess of Windsor, scientist Alexander Flemming, and innumerable Ibero American Heads of State and European monarchs.
The hotel was refurbished in the late 50’s, when all the comforts that make it competitive were added without altering the original layout.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 19:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Delight in the best Cuba has to offer with this stunning beach and city twin centre holiday
- Add Havana half-day tour from £49pp, taking in Revolution Square, Malecón and the UNESCO World Heritage Site of Old Havana
- Iberostar Tainos is designed in the style of a traditional Caribbean village with two-storey bungalows that comprise spacious and elegant rooms
- Enjoy a historic stay in Havana at the NH Capri Hotel, which opened in 1957 and was initially run by the mafia
A superb combination of great accommodation and exciting activities make this resort one of Cuba's hottest properties
- Previous winner of the Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence, and ranked in the top 5 Hotels in Varadero
- Full range of Spa treatments for a more relaxing break, or a selection of water and land sports to choose from for the more active traveller
- Enjoy a range of tours and excursions
- Couples can benefit from a free bottle of sparkling wine and a romantic dinner for two, plus a 30 min massage per couple
Fall in love with Havana and its captivating heritage before being dazzled by the pristine shores of Varadero
- This package offers little touches to make your holiday extra special including a Welcome cocktail and a bottle of cava on arrival in Havana and Varadero
- You will be staying in luxurious hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly and offer the best of both worlds whether you are looking for adventure or relaxation
- Experience the best of the world famous Varadero Beach where white sand is lapped by the clear waters when staying at Melia Varadero
Soak up the history and culture in Havana before a luxurious stay at one of Varadero's most stunning beachfront resorts
- Rooftop swimming pool and jacuzzi at Parque Central where you can look over the spectacular city of Havana
- Bella Vista sits on Varadero's pristine stretch of beach with 24-Hour all-inclusive services
- Endless range of facilities and activities for the perfect stay in your beachfront paradise
- Discover Havana’s timeless, charismatic and bustling streets with a Havana city tour
One of Havana's most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the NH Capri is a legendary property with over...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Discover the cultural and historical treasures of Havana as you're treated to 5-star service at the Iberostar Parque...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Escape to Cuba on your next holiday and book a stay at the Villa Tortuga Hotel in Varadero. It is an all inclusive hotel...
Club Kawama depicts a traditional hacienda type atmosphere, but in actual fact it's an All Inclusive resort. Beautifully...