Future of Golfing Cuba Holidays Looks Promising but Still Far Off
The future of Cuba holidays and tourism could lie in the prospect of an 18-hole golf course overlooking the sparkling azure waters of the Caribbean Sea and situated east of the island's capital, Havana, if it gets the thumbs up from Cuban authorities
Thousands of golfing enthusiasts could soon be packing up their golf clubs and enjoying Cuba holidays at a new 18-hole golf course offering views overlooking the Caribbean Sea and the golden beaches of the Caribbean island. The proposed project will see the golf course being built just east of Havana, and will feature a swanky marina for yachts, luxury villas and a scenic artificial lake for the delight of golf lovers on Cuba holidays.
The project is waiting in line with at least a dozen others for the go-ahead from Cuban authorities so that construction can begin and the island is on the road to becoming a world famous golf destination.
Last month the Tourism Minister, Manuel Marrero, said the construction of golf courses and marinas will go ahead and letters of intent have already been signed between the island’s state-owned tourism company, Palmares and a number of investors from Spain, the UK, Canada and Vietnam.
Golfing travellers currently have just two courses to choose from to enjoy some golfing activity on their Cuba holidays; the 18 hole Varadero Golf Club which is situated in one of the most popular regions for tourists enjoying holidays to Cuba, and the Havana Golf Club which offers a nine-hole golf course which plays host to a series of annual world competitions.
Located just 90 miles of the coast of the United States, Cuba has the potential to become one of the world's leading golfing destinations and will attract thousands of golf lovers enjoying luxury Cuba holidays.
Chief Executive of London-based International Association of Golf Tour Operators, Peter Walton, said: "Cuba can be one of the strongest golf destinations in the Caribbean."
The majority of the proposed projects are planned along the north coast of Cuba in upmarket regions including Varadero, Havana, and Cayo Coco, and could also see the development of new Cuba hotels, luxury villas and apartments; supermarkets; Western restaurants; and shopping malls.
KPMG's analyst, Andrea Sartori, said: "The key ingredients of a successful golf destination are there -- The climate, the proximity to a major market, the flavour. However there are key issues that need to be resolved."
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Dive into the warm water of Varadero beach and relax under the caribbean sunshine
- Book now and benefit from huge savings with the launch of the new Virgin Atlantic to Varadero offer!
- Suites feature a separate living area and Tropical suites feature breathtaking views of the sea
- Golf lovers can play on the nearby Varadero 18 hole golf course
Enjoy a wide range of added values, fun activities or relax and lie under the sun on exclusive private beach area in Varadero
- Never waste a minute of your holiday and enjoy all fun activities from waters sports to golf lessons at Breezes Bella Costa
- Experience Varadero to the fullest with fantastic options for couples, families or singles as there is something to suit everyone
- Memories Miramar Hotel has a fantastic location and is only a 5-minute walk from the nearest beach
Combine exploring the iconic and pulsating city of Havana with a relaxing summer retreat to the stunning Varadero beach.
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- The plethora of activities and classes that will cater for every taste.
- A Complimentary shuttle to the iconic city of Havana
- A Luxurious and comfortable stay with 5* amenities
The unlimited heaven of tranquility in a perfect setting
- Well located in the heart of Havana's historic Old town, close to Central Park and minutes away from the National Theatre, the Capitol and Hemingway's favourite bar, the Floridita
- Iberostar Parque Central is a great base to discover all this unique city has to offer
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero such as erobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and much more.
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Discover the cultural and historical treasures of Havana as you're treated to 5-star service at the Iberostar Parque...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...
Fancy a charming and adventurous holiday? Why not try our twin centre package that allows you to explore the contagious...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...