Future of Golfing Cuba Holidays Looks Promising but Still Far Off
The future of Cuba holidays and tourism could lie in the prospect of an 18-hole golf course overlooking the sparkling azure waters of the Caribbean Sea and situated east of the island's capital, Havana, if it gets the thumbs up from Cuban authorities
Thousands of golfing enthusiasts could soon be packing up their golf clubs and enjoying Cuba holidays at a new 18-hole golf course offering views overlooking the Caribbean Sea and the golden beaches of the Caribbean island. The proposed project will see the golf course being built just east of Havana, and will feature a swanky marina for yachts, luxury villas and a scenic artificial lake for the delight of golf lovers on Cuba holidays.
The project is waiting in line with at least a dozen others for the go-ahead from Cuban authorities so that construction can begin and the island is on the road to becoming a world famous golf destination.
Last month the Tourism Minister, Manuel Marrero, said the construction of golf courses and marinas will go ahead and letters of intent have already been signed between the island’s state-owned tourism company, Palmares and a number of investors from Spain, the UK, Canada and Vietnam.
Golfing travellers currently have just two courses to choose from to enjoy some golfing activity on their Cuba holidays; the 18 hole Varadero Golf Club which is situated in one of the most popular regions for tourists enjoying holidays to Cuba, and the Havana Golf Club which offers a nine-hole golf course which plays host to a series of annual world competitions.
Located just 90 miles of the coast of the United States, Cuba has the potential to become one of the world's leading golfing destinations and will attract thousands of golf lovers enjoying luxury Cuba holidays.
Chief Executive of London-based International Association of Golf Tour Operators, Peter Walton, said: "Cuba can be one of the strongest golf destinations in the Caribbean."
The majority of the proposed projects are planned along the north coast of Cuba in upmarket regions including Varadero, Havana, and Cayo Coco, and could also see the development of new Cuba hotels, luxury villas and apartments; supermarkets; Western restaurants; and shopping malls.
KPMG's analyst, Andrea Sartori, said: "The key ingredients of a successful golf destination are there -- The climate, the proximity to a major market, the flavour. However there are key issues that need to be resolved."
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Fall in love with Havana and its captivating heritage before being dazzled by the pristine shores of Varadero
- You will be staying in luxurious hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly and offer the best of both worlds whether you are looking to adventure or relax
- Experience the best of the world famous Varadero Beach where white sand is lapped by clear water when staying at Melia Varadero
- Enjoy a Welcome cocktail and a bottle of cava on arrival in Havana and Varadero
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 18th Oct
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
- Blau Vardero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
One of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the Capri is a legendary property with over...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Start your holiday at The Melia Habana Hotel, located in the heart of the elegant Miramar district, overlooking the sea....
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Explore the historic and cultural wonders of Cuba's spellbinding capital as you unwind over an eight-day getaway. Havana...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...