Future of Golfing Cuba Holidays Looks Promising but Still Far Off
The future of Cuba holidays and tourism could lie in the prospect of an 18-hole golf course overlooking the sparkling azure waters of the Caribbean Sea and situated east of the island's capital, Havana, if it gets the thumbs up from Cuban authorities
Thousands of golfing enthusiasts could soon be packing up their golf clubs and enjoying Cuba holidays at a new 18-hole golf course offering views overlooking the Caribbean Sea and the golden beaches of the Caribbean island. The proposed project will see the golf course being built just east of Havana, and will feature a swanky marina for yachts, luxury villas and a scenic artificial lake for the delight of golf lovers on Cuba holidays.
The project is waiting in line with at least a dozen others for the go-ahead from Cuban authorities so that construction can begin and the island is on the road to becoming a world famous golf destination.
Last month the Tourism Minister, Manuel Marrero, said the construction of golf courses and marinas will go ahead and letters of intent have already been signed between the island’s state-owned tourism company, Palmares and a number of investors from Spain, the UK, Canada and Vietnam.
Golfing travellers currently have just two courses to choose from to enjoy some golfing activity on their Cuba holidays; the 18 hole Varadero Golf Club which is situated in one of the most popular regions for tourists enjoying holidays to Cuba, and the Havana Golf Club which offers a nine-hole golf course which plays host to a series of annual world competitions.
Located just 90 miles of the coast of the United States, Cuba has the potential to become one of the world's leading golfing destinations and will attract thousands of golf lovers enjoying luxury Cuba holidays.
Chief Executive of London-based International Association of Golf Tour Operators, Peter Walton, said: "Cuba can be one of the strongest golf destinations in the Caribbean."
The majority of the proposed projects are planned along the north coast of Cuba in upmarket regions including Varadero, Havana, and Cayo Coco, and could also see the development of new Cuba hotels, luxury villas and apartments; supermarkets; Western restaurants; and shopping malls.
KPMG's analyst, Andrea Sartori, said: "The key ingredients of a successful golf destination are there -- The climate, the proximity to a major market, the flavour. However there are key issues that need to be resolved."
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Expect Luxury, comfort and relaxation!
- Enjoy spa treatments, water and land sports and more for a fun-filled break
- Relish fantastic eating and drinking options 24 hours a day
- Enjoy complimentary perks, including a bottle of sparkling wine, a romantic dinner for two, plus a 30 min massage per couple.
Fall in love with Havana and its captivating heritage before being dazzled by the pristine shores of Varadero
- Stunning hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly, offering the best of both worlds for adventure or relaxation
- Stay in a Sea View Room in Havana for all three nights, for an extra £20 per person
- Fly premium-economy class from an extra £199 per person, each way
- Little touches to make your holiday extra special, including a welcome cocktail and a bottle of cava upon arrival in Havana and Varadero
- Experience the world famous Varadero beach, where white sand is lapped by the clear waters when staying at Melia Varadero
Discover the relaxing Varadero and sink into sublim tranquillity
- Experience the beauty of Varadero Beach where you can relax and unwind on the tranquil white sandy beaches whilst enjoying the 24-hrs All-inclusive offered at the Luxurious Iberostar Varadero
- Stay in Havana's most highly rated hotel, with an iconic location facing Central Park
- Discover Cuba whilst staying at the 2 Top rated TripAdvisor hotels in Cuba
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Blau Varadero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
Travel to one of Cuba's hidden touristic gems, Varadero, where stretches of secluded beach await you at Blau Varadero....
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Beautifully perched on the panoramic Mensura Hill, surrounded by striking greenery, this blessed and secluded natural...
Explore the many entertaining sites of the famous Varadero beach in Cuba, while enjoying a peaceful 10-day getaway at...
Club Kawama depicts a traditional hacienda type atmosphere, but in actual fact it's an All Inclusive resort. Beautifully...