Future of Golfing Cuba Holidays Looks Promising but Still Far Off
The future of Cuba holidays and tourism could lie in the prospect of an 18-hole golf course overlooking the sparkling azure waters of the Caribbean Sea and situated east of the island's capital, Havana, if it gets the thumbs up from Cuban authorities
Thousands of golfing enthusiasts could soon be packing up their golf clubs and enjoying Cuba holidays at a new 18-hole golf course offering views overlooking the Caribbean Sea and the golden beaches of the Caribbean island. The proposed project will see the golf course being built just east of Havana, and will feature a swanky marina for yachts, luxury villas and a scenic artificial lake for the delight of golf lovers on Cuba holidays.
The project is waiting in line with at least a dozen others for the go-ahead from Cuban authorities so that construction can begin and the island is on the road to becoming a world famous golf destination.
Last month the Tourism Minister, Manuel Marrero, said the construction of golf courses and marinas will go ahead and letters of intent have already been signed between the island’s state-owned tourism company, Palmares and a number of investors from Spain, the UK, Canada and Vietnam.
Golfing travellers currently have just two courses to choose from to enjoy some golfing activity on their Cuba holidays; the 18 hole Varadero Golf Club which is situated in one of the most popular regions for tourists enjoying holidays to Cuba, and the Havana Golf Club which offers a nine-hole golf course which plays host to a series of annual world competitions.
Located just 90 miles of the coast of the United States, Cuba has the potential to become one of the world's leading golfing destinations and will attract thousands of golf lovers enjoying luxury Cuba holidays.
Chief Executive of London-based International Association of Golf Tour Operators, Peter Walton, said: "Cuba can be one of the strongest golf destinations in the Caribbean."
The majority of the proposed projects are planned along the north coast of Cuba in upmarket regions including Varadero, Havana, and Cayo Coco, and could also see the development of new Cuba hotels, luxury villas and apartments; supermarkets; Western restaurants; and shopping malls.
KPMG's analyst, Andrea Sartori, said: "The key ingredients of a successful golf destination are there -- The climate, the proximity to a major market, the flavour. However there are key issues that need to be resolved."
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Enjoy the long list of fun options for all the family or bask on Varadero's pure white sands
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 31st Jul 2017
- Sample a host of activities including snorkelling, kayaking, windsurfing, golf and more.
- Located on a gorgeous stretch of Varadero beach.
- Enjoy 24-hour all-inclusive service.
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
- Book now and get a free upgrade to the sea view at Blau Varadero - limited availability
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
- Blau Vardero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
A superb combination of great accommodation and exciting activities make this resort one of Cuba's hottest properties
- Book now and get a free upgrade to the sea view - limited availability
- Enjoy a complimentary Cultural Presentation
- Previous winner of the Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence, and ranked in the top 5 Hotels in Varadero
- Full range of Spa treatments for a more relaxing break, or a selection of water and land sports to choose from for the more active traveller
- Couples can benefit from a free bottle of sparkling wine and a romantic dinner for two, plus a 30 min massage per couple
The unlimited heaven of tranquility in a perfect setting
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
This 1920s colonial house is surrounded by lush vegetation and terrace areas and boasts a stunning array of antiques,...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...