Future of Golfing Cuba Holidays Looks Promising but Still Far Off
The future of Cuba holidays and tourism could lie in the prospect of an 18-hole golf course overlooking the sparkling azure waters of the Caribbean Sea and situated east of the island's capital, Havana, if it gets the thumbs up from Cuban authorities
Thousands of golfing enthusiasts could soon be packing up their golf clubs and enjoying Cuba holidays at a new 18-hole golf course offering views overlooking the Caribbean Sea and the golden beaches of the Caribbean island. The proposed project will see the golf course being built just east of Havana, and will feature a swanky marina for yachts, luxury villas and a scenic artificial lake for the delight of golf lovers on Cuba holidays.
The project is waiting in line with at least a dozen others for the go-ahead from Cuban authorities so that construction can begin and the island is on the road to becoming a world famous golf destination.
Last month the Tourism Minister, Manuel Marrero, said the construction of golf courses and marinas will go ahead and letters of intent have already been signed between the island’s state-owned tourism company, Palmares and a number of investors from Spain, the UK, Canada and Vietnam.
Golfing travellers currently have just two courses to choose from to enjoy some golfing activity on their Cuba holidays; the 18 hole Varadero Golf Club which is situated in one of the most popular regions for tourists enjoying holidays to Cuba, and the Havana Golf Club which offers a nine-hole golf course which plays host to a series of annual world competitions.
Located just 90 miles of the coast of the United States, Cuba has the potential to become one of the world's leading golfing destinations and will attract thousands of golf lovers enjoying luxury Cuba holidays.
Chief Executive of London-based International Association of Golf Tour Operators, Peter Walton, said: "Cuba can be one of the strongest golf destinations in the Caribbean."
The majority of the proposed projects are planned along the north coast of Cuba in upmarket regions including Varadero, Havana, and Cayo Coco, and could also see the development of new Cuba hotels, luxury villas and apartments; supermarkets; Western restaurants; and shopping malls.
KPMG's analyst, Andrea Sartori, said: "The key ingredients of a successful golf destination are there -- The climate, the proximity to a major market, the flavour. However there are key issues that need to be resolved."
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Discover Cuba's vibrant capital and stunning Varadero beach, getting the best of both during summer 2017
Combine exploring Havana's bustling neighbourhoods, with a relaxing beach holiday, with this amazing twin centre summer holiday package deal
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 25th April 2017
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Easy access to some of the most iconic neighbourhoods in Havana, including the old colonial area
- Relax, unwind and rejuvenate your mind body and soul at the beauty salon and spa
- Exceptionally friendly and welcoming staff that go the extra mile
A superb combination of great accommodation and exciting activities make this resort one of Cuba's hottest properties
- Enjoy a complimentary Cultural Presentation
- Previous winner of the Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence, and ranked in the top 5 Hotels in Varadero
- Full range of Spa treatments for a more relaxing break, or a selection of water and land sports to choose from for the more active traveller
- Couples can benefit from a free bottle of sparkling wine and a romantic dinner for two, plus a 30 min massage per couple
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
The unlimited heaven of tranquility in a perfect setting
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
Soak up the history of Havana as well as the magnificence of Varadero beach on an unforgettable twin centre holiday to...
One of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the Capri is a legendary property with over...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
This 1920s colonial house is surrounded by lush vegetation and terrace areas and boasts a stunning array of antiques,...
Look out onto the day to day life of Havana's streets from the Casa Santy's balconies, with its great location and a...