First hurricane of the season forms in Mexico but poses no danger to Cancun holidays
The U.S National Hurricane Centre has announced the first hurricane of the year, which has been forming along Mexico's coast. However, at present the hurricane poses no danger to land and should be moving away from Mexico over the next few days.
The first hurricane of the Pacific season has formed off the coast of Mexico according to the United States National Hurricane Centre (NHC).
Hurricane Celia formed 350 miles off the coast of Acapulco, with the NHC now expecting “some strengthening” of the Category One storm over the next two days.
Celia became the first hurricane of the 2010 season in late June 2010. On June 22, 2010, the U.S. National Hurricane Center reported that Celia was a Category 2 hurricane, and that the storm could be expected to strengthen over the next 48 hours. The same day, the U.S. Navy's Joint Typhoon Warning Center (JTWC) reported that Celia had maximum sustained winds of 90 knots (170 kilometers per hour) with gusts up to 110 knots (200 kilometers per hour). As the storm was projected to move farther away from land, however, no coastal watches or warnings were in effect.
However, despite sustained winds of some 80 miles per hour, the hurricane presently presents no danger to land and is believed to be moving away from Mexico at a rate of nine miles per hour.
Mexico’s oil export facilities in the Gulf of Mexico are also well away from Celia’s path – with the centre of hurricane presently located near latitude 11.8 north, longitude 102.1 west.
The cyclone grew stronger Monday evening in the East Pacific Ocean and was upgraded to a Category 2. However, Celia was centered about 505 miles (815 kilometers) south of Manzanillo, Mexico and the storm is not seen as a threat to land. The hurricane is expected to continue moving west, away from the Mexican coast, for the next couple of days. Celia is expected to get stronger and could become a major hurricane on Tuesday.
Meteorologists have, however, raised concerns hurricanes in the Atlantic - which are expected to start in August - could disrupt efforts to stem the BP Gulf of Mexico oil spill off the US coast.
The news follows warnings from the British Met Office last week that as many as 27 storms could be recorded in the North Atlantic this year, well ahead of the long-term average of 12.4 storms per year.
Hurricane season is predicted to continue until November and Caribbean countries will be closely monitoring the situation up until that date to ensure the busy summer Caribbean holidays period remains a safe option for many travellers.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Mexico and Cancun Browse all
The ideal romantic setting for honeymooners and lovers to enjoy an adults only haven
- The Adults only resort promises great parties and is just 20 minutes from the nightlife of Cancun
- Unwind at the lavish Secrets Spa by Pevonia® complete with 17 massage rooms and a hypnotherapy circuit
- Unlimited-Luxury® concept offering exceptional all-inclusive privileges
Enjoy exclusive privileges on tap as part of the resort's signature Unlimited-Luxury all-inclusive concept.
- Retreat to one of the Mexican Caribbean's most coveted and secluded beach hideaways
- Something to keep everyone entertained at this fantastic family friendly resort
- Outdoor pool theater for shows and theme dinners
A secluded location at a beautiful all inclusive resort designed for adults only is perfect for a taste of romance enhanced by Mayan wonder
- Enjoy 24 hour room service, pool and beach waiter service, six swimming pools, water sports and more
- Experience fine dining and gourmet cuisine with a choice of nine restaurants
- Relax in style at this all-suite luxury resort situated on a white sand beach
Escape and indulge yourself at the recently opened Secrets The Vine, a haven of natural beauty and elegance on the shores of the Yucatan Peninsula
- Unlimited-Luxury® privileges include gourmet dining at 6 restaurants, a poolside grill, a cafe and unlimited top-shelf spirits at 6 bars and lounges
- Enjoy complimentary green fees at the nearby Playa Mujeres Golf Club
- Stay in an adults only ultra deluxe beachside haven in the heart of Cancun sure to provide the perfect base for a great holiday
- Signature element of wine with a winery including over 3000 varieties of wine.
If you're searching for the perfect combination of beach fun and natural discovery, look no further than Occidental at...
Take a holiday to the Caribbean resort of Cancun in Mexico. In the magnificent Moon Palace Cancun you will be perfectly...
Get away from it all with a once in a lifetime excursion to Cancun, one of Mexico's most celebrated resort towns. This...
A picturesque city on Mexico's Caribbean Sea coastline, Playa del Carmen is the perfect getaway for both families and...
Soak up the sun in limitless luxury surrounded by luscious gardens and an idyllic setting at Oasis Cancun Lite. Your...
Discover a world of entertainment and join in on the best, non-stop family fun at the all-inclusive Sea Adventure Resort...