Government launches Health Programme for safe Summer Cuba holidays
Cuba's health authorities have launched a special summer Health & Safety campaign aimed at reducing the risk factors that cause the most typical summer ailments and accidents in order to ensure safer, worry-free Cuba holidays for visitors and nationals.
In an effort to promote worry-free Cuba holidays and protect travellers and citizens alike from the rare flu attracks and respiratory infections, viral diseases and the odd mosquito bite rash, the Cuban Ministry of Public Health will carry out a prevention campaign during the summer months in order to reduce the incidence of minor diseases that are common during that period and that could damage the experience of visitors on Cuba holidays and hinder citizens from fully enjoying their well-earned summer breaks.
The ministry's latest Health & Safety strategy is aimed at reducing risk factors that are typical of the country's hottest months. Yet another way to promote itself as one of the safest holiday destinations in the Caribbean, this move follows the government's recent compulsory requirement to obtaint Travel Health Insurance before entering the country which applies to all travellers arriving to the island after 1st May 2010. The health insurance is obligatory whether visitors are foreign travellers who come to enjoy leisure Cuba holidays or if they are Cuban citizens living abroad and coming back to their homeland to visit friends and family.
Health actions go beyond the prevention and treatment of common summer ailiments and also include the prevention of traffic road accidents and drowning at beaches, rivers, swimming pools and dams, a serious issue for the country to monitor considering that approximately 100 people drown in Cuba every year. It is also true however that these are isolated cases by groups of Cuban youngster who swim in unsupervised areas. Drowning incidents hardly ever include a foreign traveller since they mostly take their Cuba holidays in protected resorts with supervised swimming pools and beaches.
In addition to all this, authorities will also carefully monitor diseases that are transmitted orally or by vectors ranging from acute respiratory infections, viral conjunctivitis and HIV-AIDS.
The experts however note that Cuba's epidemiological situation is stable, as no cases of hemorrhagic conjunctivitis have been reported, and only 29 cases of dengue and 9 cases of malaria have been reported in the whole country, none of wich have resulted in deaths.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Enjoy an amazing twin centre full of enjoyment for everyone at occidental miramar and breezes bella costa
The two hotels combine for an amazing holiday experience fit for everyone from couples to families at occidental miramar and breezes bella
- The Memories Miramar Havana is located in an elegant residential neighbourhood of Miramar and enjoys beautiful ocean views
- Both hotels offer fantastic amenities and facilities which makes the hotels a great choice for both families and couples
- Bella Costa is located on one of the world's finest beaches - Varadero
Enjoy a summer holiday of a lifetime staying at two amazing hotels in both Havana and Varadero
- Book now to receive our exclusive Couples offer which includes a bottle of cava on arrival in both hotels, turndown service in the evenings and a guaranteed reservation in the a la carte restaurants in Varadero and much more
- This offer includes a free Historical Havana Tour
- Experience Havana's vintage vibe & Varadero's soft white-sand beaches all in one trip
The unlimited heaven of tranquility in a perfect setting
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Soak up the history of Havana as well as the magnificence of Varadero beach on an unforgettable twin centre holiday to...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Bellevue Palma Real Varadero is a special hotel as it is authentically Cuban in every respect, from the food to the...