Government launches Health Programme for safe Summer Cuba holidays
Cuba's health authorities have launched a special summer Health & Safety campaign aimed at reducing the risk factors that cause the most typical summer ailments and accidents in order to ensure safer, worry-free Cuba holidays for visitors and nationals.
In an effort to promote worry-free Cuba holidays and protect travellers and citizens alike from the rare flu attracks and respiratory infections, viral diseases and the odd mosquito bite rash, the Cuban Ministry of Public Health will carry out a prevention campaign during the summer months in order to reduce the incidence of minor diseases that are common during that period and that could damage the experience of visitors on Cuba holidays and hinder citizens from fully enjoying their well-earned summer breaks.
The ministry's latest Health & Safety strategy is aimed at reducing risk factors that are typical of the country's hottest months. Yet another way to promote itself as one of the safest holiday destinations in the Caribbean, this move follows the government's recent compulsory requirement to obtaint Travel Health Insurance before entering the country which applies to all travellers arriving to the island after 1st May 2010. The health insurance is obligatory whether visitors are foreign travellers who come to enjoy leisure Cuba holidays or if they are Cuban citizens living abroad and coming back to their homeland to visit friends and family.
Health actions go beyond the prevention and treatment of common summer ailiments and also include the prevention of traffic road accidents and drowning at beaches, rivers, swimming pools and dams, a serious issue for the country to monitor considering that approximately 100 people drown in Cuba every year. It is also true however that these are isolated cases by groups of Cuban youngster who swim in unsupervised areas. Drowning incidents hardly ever include a foreign traveller since they mostly take their Cuba holidays in protected resorts with supervised swimming pools and beaches.
In addition to all this, authorities will also carefully monitor diseases that are transmitted orally or by vectors ranging from acute respiratory infections, viral conjunctivitis and HIV-AIDS.
The experts however note that Cuba's epidemiological situation is stable, as no cases of hemorrhagic conjunctivitis have been reported, and only 29 cases of dengue and 9 cases of malaria have been reported in the whole country, none of wich have resulted in deaths.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Enjoy the long list of fun options for all the family or bask on Varadero's pure white sands
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 31st Jul 2017
- Sample a host of activities including snorkelling, kayaking, windsurfing, golf and more.
- Located on a gorgeous stretch of Varadero beach.
- Enjoy 24-hour all-inclusive service.
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
- Book now and get a free upgrade to the sea view at Blau Varadero - limited availability
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
- Blau Vardero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
The unlimited heaven of tranquillity in a perfect setting
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...
Enjoy a hearty welcome from hosts that exude contagious Cuban charm on an escape to Cuba. Explore not only the vibrant...