Government launches Health Programme for safe Summer Cuba holidays
Cuba's health authorities have launched a special summer Health & Safety campaign aimed at reducing the risk factors that cause the most typical summer ailments and accidents in order to ensure safer, worry-free Cuba holidays for visitors and nationals.
In an effort to promote worry-free Cuba holidays and protect travellers and citizens alike from the rare flu attracks and respiratory infections, viral diseases and the odd mosquito bite rash, the Cuban Ministry of Public Health will carry out a prevention campaign during the summer months in order to reduce the incidence of minor diseases that are common during that period and that could damage the experience of visitors on Cuba holidays and hinder citizens from fully enjoying their well-earned summer breaks.
The ministry's latest Health & Safety strategy is aimed at reducing risk factors that are typical of the country's hottest months. Yet another way to promote itself as one of the safest holiday destinations in the Caribbean, this move follows the government's recent compulsory requirement to obtaint Travel Health Insurance before entering the country which applies to all travellers arriving to the island after 1st May 2010. The health insurance is obligatory whether visitors are foreign travellers who come to enjoy leisure Cuba holidays or if they are Cuban citizens living abroad and coming back to their homeland to visit friends and family.
Health actions go beyond the prevention and treatment of common summer ailiments and also include the prevention of traffic road accidents and drowning at beaches, rivers, swimming pools and dams, a serious issue for the country to monitor considering that approximately 100 people drown in Cuba every year. It is also true however that these are isolated cases by groups of Cuban youngster who swim in unsupervised areas. Drowning incidents hardly ever include a foreign traveller since they mostly take their Cuba holidays in protected resorts with supervised swimming pools and beaches.
In addition to all this, authorities will also carefully monitor diseases that are transmitted orally or by vectors ranging from acute respiratory infections, viral conjunctivitis and HIV-AIDS.
The experts however note that Cuba's epidemiological situation is stable, as no cases of hemorrhagic conjunctivitis have been reported, and only 29 cases of dengue and 9 cases of malaria have been reported in the whole country, none of wich have resulted in deaths.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 17:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Enjoy a wide range of added values, fun activities or relax and lie under the sun on exclusive private beach area in Varadero
- Never waste a minute of your holiday and enjoy all fun activities from waters sports to golf lessons at Bella Costa
- Memories Miramar Hotel has a fantastic location and is only a 5-minute walk from the nearest beach
- Experience Varadero to the fullest with fantastic options for couples, families or singles as there is something to suit everyone
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 4th May 2017
A superb combination of great accommodation and exciting activities make this resort one of Cuba's hottest properties
- Enjoy a complimentary Cultural Presentation
- Previous winner of the Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence, and ranked in the top 5 Hotels in Varadero
- Full range of Spa treatments for a more relaxing break, or a selection of water and land sports to choose from for the more active traveller
- Couples can benefit from a free bottle of sparkling wine and a romantic dinner for two, plus a 30 min massage per couple
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
One of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the Capri is a legendary property with over...
Soak up the history of Havana as well as the magnificence of Varadero beach on an unforgettable twin centre holiday to...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
This 1920s colonial house is surrounded by lush vegetation and terrace areas and boasts a stunning array of antiques,...
Fancy a charming and adventurous holiday? Why not try our twin centre package that allows you to explore the contagious...