Government launches Health Programme for safe Summer Cuba holidays
Cuba's health authorities have launched a special summer Health & Safety campaign aimed at reducing the risk factors that cause the most typical summer ailments and accidents in order to ensure safer, worry-free Cuba holidays for visitors and nationals.
In an effort to promote worry-free Cuba holidays and protect travellers and citizens alike from the rare flu attracks and respiratory infections, viral diseases and the odd mosquito bite rash, the Cuban Ministry of Public Health will carry out a prevention campaign during the summer months in order to reduce the incidence of minor diseases that are common during that period and that could damage the experience of visitors on Cuba holidays and hinder citizens from fully enjoying their well-earned summer breaks.
The ministry's latest Health & Safety strategy is aimed at reducing risk factors that are typical of the country's hottest months. Yet another way to promote itself as one of the safest holiday destinations in the Caribbean, this move follows the government's recent compulsory requirement to obtaint Travel Health Insurance before entering the country which applies to all travellers arriving to the island after 1st May 2010. The health insurance is obligatory whether visitors are foreign travellers who come to enjoy leisure Cuba holidays or if they are Cuban citizens living abroad and coming back to their homeland to visit friends and family.
Health actions go beyond the prevention and treatment of common summer ailiments and also include the prevention of traffic road accidents and drowning at beaches, rivers, swimming pools and dams, a serious issue for the country to monitor considering that approximately 100 people drown in Cuba every year. It is also true however that these are isolated cases by groups of Cuban youngster who swim in unsupervised areas. Drowning incidents hardly ever include a foreign traveller since they mostly take their Cuba holidays in protected resorts with supervised swimming pools and beaches.
In addition to all this, authorities will also carefully monitor diseases that are transmitted orally or by vectors ranging from acute respiratory infections, viral conjunctivitis and HIV-AIDS.
The experts however note that Cuba's epidemiological situation is stable, as no cases of hemorrhagic conjunctivitis have been reported, and only 29 cases of dengue and 9 cases of malaria have been reported in the whole country, none of wich have resulted in deaths.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 19:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Delight in the best Cuba has to offer with this stunning beach and city twin centre holiday
- Add Havana half-day tour from £49pp, taking in Revolution Square, Malecón and the UNESCO World Heritage Site of Old Havana
- Iberostar Tainos is designed in the style of a traditional Caribbean village with two-storey bungalows that comprise spacious and elegant rooms
- Enjoy a historic stay in Havana at the NH Capri Hotel, which opened in 1957 and was initially run by the mafia
A superb combination of great accommodation and exciting activities make this resort one of Cuba's hottest properties
- Previous winner of the Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence, and ranked in the top 5 Hotels in Varadero
- Full range of Spa treatments for a more relaxing break, or a selection of water and land sports to choose from for the more active traveller
- Enjoy a range of tours and excursions
- Couples can benefit from a free bottle of sparkling wine and a romantic dinner for two, plus a 30 min massage per couple
Fall in love with Havana and its captivating heritage before being dazzled by the pristine shores of Varadero
- This package offers little touches to make your holiday extra special including a Welcome cocktail and a bottle of cava on arrival in Havana and Varadero
- You will be staying in luxurious hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly and offer the best of both worlds whether you are looking for adventure or relaxation
- Experience the best of the world famous Varadero Beach where white sand is lapped by the clear waters when staying at Melia Varadero
Soak up the history and culture in Havana before a luxurious stay at one of Varadero's most stunning beachfront resorts
- Rooftop swimming pool and jacuzzi at Parque Central where you can look over the spectacular city of Havana
- Bella Vista sits on Varadero's pristine stretch of beach with 24-Hour all-inclusive services
- Endless range of facilities and activities for the perfect stay in your beachfront paradise
- Discover Havana’s timeless, charismatic and bustling streets with a Havana city tour
One of Havana's most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the NH Capri is a legendary property with over...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Discover the cultural and historical treasures of Havana as you're treated to 5-star service at the Iberostar Parque...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Escape to Cuba on your next holiday and book a stay at the Villa Tortuga Hotel in Varadero. It is an all inclusive hotel...
Club Kawama depicts a traditional hacienda type atmosphere, but in actual fact it's an All Inclusive resort. Beautifully...