Government launches Health Programme for safe Summer Cuba holidays
Cuba's health authorities have launched a special summer Health & Safety campaign aimed at reducing the risk factors that cause the most typical summer ailments and accidents in order to ensure safer, worry-free Cuba holidays for visitors and nationals.
In an effort to promote worry-free Cuba holidays and protect travellers and citizens alike from the rare flu attracks and respiratory infections, viral diseases and the odd mosquito bite rash, the Cuban Ministry of Public Health will carry out a prevention campaign during the summer months in order to reduce the incidence of minor diseases that are common during that period and that could damage the experience of visitors on Cuba holidays and hinder citizens from fully enjoying their well-earned summer breaks.
The ministry's latest Health & Safety strategy is aimed at reducing risk factors that are typical of the country's hottest months. Yet another way to promote itself as one of the safest holiday destinations in the Caribbean, this move follows the government's recent compulsory requirement to obtaint Travel Health Insurance before entering the country which applies to all travellers arriving to the island after 1st May 2010. The health insurance is obligatory whether visitors are foreign travellers who come to enjoy leisure Cuba holidays or if they are Cuban citizens living abroad and coming back to their homeland to visit friends and family.
Health actions go beyond the prevention and treatment of common summer ailiments and also include the prevention of traffic road accidents and drowning at beaches, rivers, swimming pools and dams, a serious issue for the country to monitor considering that approximately 100 people drown in Cuba every year. It is also true however that these are isolated cases by groups of Cuban youngster who swim in unsupervised areas. Drowning incidents hardly ever include a foreign traveller since they mostly take their Cuba holidays in protected resorts with supervised swimming pools and beaches.
In addition to all this, authorities will also carefully monitor diseases that are transmitted orally or by vectors ranging from acute respiratory infections, viral conjunctivitis and HIV-AIDS.
The experts however note that Cuba's epidemiological situation is stable, as no cases of hemorrhagic conjunctivitis have been reported, and only 29 cases of dengue and 9 cases of malaria have been reported in the whole country, none of wich have resulted in deaths.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 18:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Fall in love with Havana and its captivating heritage before being dazzled by the pristine shores of Varadero
- Stunning hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly, offering the best of both worlds for adventure or relaxation
- Stay in a Sea View Room in Havana for all three nights, for an extra £20 per person
- Fly premium-economy class from an extra £199 per person, each way
- Little touches to make your holiday extra special, including a welcome cocktail and a bottle of cava upon arrival in Havana and Varadero
- Experience the world famous Varadero beach, where white sand is lapped by the clear waters when staying at Melia Varadero
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Blau Varadero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Travel to one of Cuba's hidden touristic gems, Varadero, where stretches of secluded beach await you at Blau Varadero....
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Beautifully perched on the panoramic Mensura Hill, surrounded by striking greenery, this blessed and secluded natural...
Explore the many entertaining sites of the famous Varadero beach in Cuba, while enjoying a peaceful 10-day getaway at...
Club Kawama depicts a traditional hacienda type atmosphere, but in actual fact it's an All Inclusive resort. Beautifully...