UNESCO's General Director Receives Havana's historian and praises cultural value of Cuba holidays
One of Cuba's most highly acclaimed historians and the one responsible for re-storing many of Havana's historical buildings and monuments; Eusebio Leal has been received in France by UNESCO's General Director to hold discussions about patrimony & culture
The protector of Cuba holidays in Havana and the city's historian, Eusebio Leal, recently flew out to France to hold an interview with UNESCO's General Director, Irina Bokova, with whom he dialogued about patrimony, culture, development and other historic topics concerning the island.
Leal explained to Prensa Latina about his stay in France, while went into details regarding his interview with the head of the United Nations entity.
The Cuban intellectual, who received last year the UNESCO Medal of the World Decade of Cultural Development, arrived to this capital invited by the highest authority of that institution.
Leal, who also has the order of the French Honour Legion in the official grade, said that it was a very useful exchange of opinions, in which they discussed about historic themes relating Latin America and of topics which were of her personal interest, such as Cuba and Bulgaria.
During the meeting, to which Leal attended accompanied by the Cuban ambassador to UNESCO, Mary Florez, they also dialogued about the San Gerónimo university college, a university school attached to the University of Havana aimed at creating new historians and culture experts that prolonged and preserved the cultural and historical value of Cuba holidays.
This institution, located in the historic center of the Cuban capital, forms specialists in preservation work and patrimony management, has been of great interest to Bokova, commented Leal.
It was very nice of her by remembering also her visit to our capital when she was only a candidate to General Director, he added. The historian ended his visit to France with this meeting.
Some days before, he took part in the opening of the academic curse of Humanity of Bordeaux University. Leal commented that he offered a conference to present the project of the restoration of the historic Centre of Havana in all its cultural, social and community values.
During his time in France historian visited the city of Rochelle (centre best) and had an interview with the directors of the museums and patrimony of Aquitania.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Dive into the warm water of Varadero beach and relax under the caribbean sunshine
- Enjoy a fantastic tour
- Book now and benefit from huge savings with the launch of the new Virgin Atlantic to Varadero offer!
- Suites feature a separate living area and Tropical suites feature breathtaking views of the sea
- Golf lovers can play on the nearby Varadero 18 hole golf course
A superb combination of great accommodation and exciting activities make this resort one of Cuba's hottest properties
- Enjoy a complimentary Cultural Presentation
- Previous winner of the Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence, and ranked in the top 5 Hotels in Varadero
- Full range of Spa treatments for a more relaxing break, or a selection of water and land sports to choose from for the more active traveller
- Couples can benefit from a free bottle of sparkling wine and a romantic dinner for two, plus a 30 min massage per couple
Enjoy a summer holiday of a lifetime staying at two amazing hotels in both Havana and Varadero
- Book now to receive our exclusive Couples offer which includes a bottle of cava on arrival in both hotels, turndown service in the evenings and a guaranteed reservation in the a la carte restaurants in Varadero and much more
- This offer includes a free Historical Havana Tour
- Experience Havana's vintage vibe & Varadero's soft white-sand beaches all in one trip
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Soak up the history of Havana as well as the magnificence of Varadero beach on an unforgettable twin centre holiday to...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Bellevue Palma Real Varadero is a special hotel as it is authentically Cuban in every respect, from the food to the...