UNESCO's General Director Receives Havana's historian and praises cultural value of Cuba holidays
One of Cuba's most highly acclaimed historians and the one responsible for re-storing many of Havana's historical buildings and monuments; Eusebio Leal has been received in France by UNESCO's General Director to hold discussions about patrimony & culture
The protector of Cuba holidays in Havana and the city's historian, Eusebio Leal, recently flew out to France to hold an interview with UNESCO's General Director, Irina Bokova, with whom he dialogued about patrimony, culture, development and other historic topics concerning the island.
Leal explained to Prensa Latina about his stay in France, while went into details regarding his interview with the head of the United Nations entity.
The Cuban intellectual, who received last year the UNESCO Medal of the World Decade of Cultural Development, arrived to this capital invited by the highest authority of that institution.
Leal, who also has the order of the French Honour Legion in the official grade, said that it was a very useful exchange of opinions, in which they discussed about historic themes relating Latin America and of topics which were of her personal interest, such as Cuba and Bulgaria.
During the meeting, to which Leal attended accompanied by the Cuban ambassador to UNESCO, Mary Florez, they also dialogued about the San Gerónimo university college, a university school attached to the University of Havana aimed at creating new historians and culture experts that prolonged and preserved the cultural and historical value of Cuba holidays.
This institution, located in the historic center of the Cuban capital, forms specialists in preservation work and patrimony management, has been of great interest to Bokova, commented Leal.
It was very nice of her by remembering also her visit to our capital when she was only a candidate to General Director, he added. The historian ended his visit to France with this meeting.
Some days before, he took part in the opening of the academic curse of Humanity of Bordeaux University. Leal commented that he offered a conference to present the project of the restoration of the historic Centre of Havana in all its cultural, social and community values.
During his time in France historian visited the city of Rochelle (centre best) and had an interview with the directors of the museums and patrimony of Aquitania.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
With great watersports galore, your winter-sun holiday can be one to remember in Cuba
- Try your hand at some adrenaline-pumping water sports including sailing, windsurfing and diving
- If you’re not up for a night on the tiles you can simply chill out at the resort and enjoy the evening’s entertainment
- If you’re a night-owl you won’t be able to resist Varadero’s buzzing nightlife
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Blau Varadero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Exclusive Free Havana city tour, visiting Revolution Square, Malecón and the UNESCO World Heritage Site of Old Havana
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 15th Nov
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
Combine exploring the iconic and pulsating city of Havana with a relaxing retreat to the stunning Varadero beach
- A Luxurious and comfortable stay with 5* amenities
- A Complimentary shuttle to the iconic city of Havana
- The plethora of activities and classes that will cater for every taste
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Explore the historic and cultural wonders of Cuba's spellbinding capital as you unwind over an eight-day getaway. Havana...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...