Jumeirah gives turtle appeal to Dubai hollidays with return of 25 specimens
In an effort to be enviromentally responsible and help preserve the eco-appeal of Dubai holidays, Jumeirah Hotels & Resorts recently teamed up with the Dubai Turtle Rehabilitation project to save 25 turtles, 23 of which were critically endangered species.
The Jumeirah group of Dubai hotels & resorts has been giving back to the communitiy in the form of an astonishing environmental rescue mission thanks to which those on future Dubai holidays will be able to appreciate more of the local fauna. Liasing with The Dubai Turtle Rehabilitation project, Jumeirah has announced the successful return of 25 turtles which are now back in the wild in Dubai since 8th June, 2010.
Nature lovers on Dubai holidays will now be able to visit these 25 lucky turtles which were released back to their natural habitat. The turtles consisted of 2 Green Chelonia Mydas turtles and 23 critically endangered Hawksbill Eretmochelys Imbricata turtles.
The Dubai Turtle Rehabilitation project evolved from a small-time operation to help with the occasional turtle stranding, but in 2009 alone over 68 turtles passed through the project and were released back into the sea. The latest turtles received several months of rehabilitation at Burj Al Arab and Madinat Jumeirah to ensure they were healthy prior to their release.
An ever-increasing local awareness of The Dubai Turtle Rehabilitation project and a growing interest from eco-travellers in search of natural wonders through green Dubai holidays, has led to progressively more and more turtles being received each year, especially the months from January through to April, when local waters can be down to 16C. Many of the turtles which pass through the project’s hands are due to the efforts of Emirates Marine Environmental Group and Dubai Municipality’s Environment Section, as well as contributions from individuals.
All the turtles that were released back into the wild have been fitted with flipper tags to help identify them. Moonlight, a 31 kilo Green turtle has also been fitted with a satellite tag sponsored by Burj Al Arab, and was named by the students of Year 1 at Dubai English Speaking School after winning the project’s naming competition.
Another turtle called Sabri, a Green Turtle who weighed in at 108.6 kilograms, was named by a Jumeirah supporter who won a competition which was run by Jumeirah across Twitter and Facebook to help raise awareness of the turtle’s plight.
Although much of the project’s work is carried out behind closed doors, Jumeirah Hotels & Resorts donated a large penned area at the Madinat Jumeirah Hotel, which is used by the project as a pre-release pen. This area provides an important chance to observe the behaviour of the turtles immediately prior to release, as well as providing an interface between the Public and the turtles, helping to greatly contribute to the local awareness. In excess of 1000 school children visit the project annually and receive guided tours and information on the turtles.
The Dubai Turtle Rehabilitation project is Dubai’s only turtle rehabilitation project and represents a collaboration between The Wildlife Protection Office and Jumeirah’s Aquarium team.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Dubai Browse all
Perfection is synonymous with this stunning property on Dubai's Palm Island
- There are 10 restaurants and bars serving a variety of cuisine from all over the globe
- Boasting the Talise Ottoman Spa, where guests can indulge in a host of relaxing treatments and therapies
- 300 AED SPA credit per person per stay for the hotel SPA
- Unlimited access to Wild Wadi Park plus free shuttle service to a selection of Dubai Shopping Malls
Take in the stunning 37 acre gardens of a property ideally situated in the heart of Dubai
- Good location from which to exploire Dubai's attractions such as the Burj Khalifa, Dubai Mall or the souks of Deira
- Complimentary shuttle transfer to the Dubai Parks & Resorts themepark. Buy your tickets with us!
- 14 restaurants and bars to suit every type of dining occassion, 4 swimming pools as well as rooms with a marble bath and spa tub
Treat your family to an unforgettable Arabian adventure and make a splash at the world's most extravagant aquatic hotel!
- Free Half Board with a huge range of dining options
- Free access to Aquaventure and Lost Chambers
- Experience the culinary gourmet adventure with over 22 world-class restaurants, lounges and bars including the Michelin star restaurant Nobu
The perfect location
- Enjoy All Inclusive in beautiful Mauritius and just unwind at the beach
- Combine the best of two worlds in one journey - relax in Mauritian paradise and experience stunning Dubai
- Experience world-class dining in both incredible countries
With a gorgeous location on the west crescent of the Palm Jumeirah, this exclusive and ultra-deluxe resort delivers...
One of the most sought-after locations in the magical city of Dubai is the artificial island of Jumeirah. Enjoy the...
The stunning Intercontinental Resort Mauritius awaits, overlooking the Bay of Balaclava located on a pristine white...
The Gloria Hotel & Apartments is a stunning suite and apartment hotel that is ideally located in the heart of Dubai. It...
Dubai has emerged as a top tourist destination for travellers across the globe. The city of Dubai in UAE reflects the...
Located in Deira, within old Dubai, the Hilton Garden Inn Dubai Al Muraqabat offers a prime opportunity to explore the...