Jumeirah gives turtle appeal to Dubai hollidays with return of 25 specimens
In an effort to be enviromentally responsible and help preserve the eco-appeal of Dubai holidays, Jumeirah Hotels & Resorts recently teamed up with the Dubai Turtle Rehabilitation project to save 25 turtles, 23 of which were critically endangered species.
The Jumeirah group of Dubai hotels & resorts has been giving back to the communitiy in the form of an astonishing environmental rescue mission thanks to which those on future Dubai holidays will be able to appreciate more of the local fauna. Liasing with The Dubai Turtle Rehabilitation project, Jumeirah has announced the successful return of 25 turtles which are now back in the wild in Dubai since 8th June, 2010.
Nature lovers on Dubai holidays will now be able to visit these 25 lucky turtles which were released back to their natural habitat. The turtles consisted of 2 Green Chelonia Mydas turtles and 23 critically endangered Hawksbill Eretmochelys Imbricata turtles.
The Dubai Turtle Rehabilitation project evolved from a small-time operation to help with the occasional turtle stranding, but in 2009 alone over 68 turtles passed through the project and were released back into the sea. The latest turtles received several months of rehabilitation at Burj Al Arab and Madinat Jumeirah to ensure they were healthy prior to their release.
An ever-increasing local awareness of The Dubai Turtle Rehabilitation project and a growing interest from eco-travellers in search of natural wonders through green Dubai holidays, has led to progressively more and more turtles being received each year, especially the months from January through to April, when local waters can be down to 16C. Many of the turtles which pass through the project’s hands are due to the efforts of Emirates Marine Environmental Group and Dubai Municipality’s Environment Section, as well as contributions from individuals.
All the turtles that were released back into the wild have been fitted with flipper tags to help identify them. Moonlight, a 31 kilo Green turtle has also been fitted with a satellite tag sponsored by Burj Al Arab, and was named by the students of Year 1 at Dubai English Speaking School after winning the project’s naming competition.
Another turtle called Sabri, a Green Turtle who weighed in at 108.6 kilograms, was named by a Jumeirah supporter who won a competition which was run by Jumeirah across Twitter and Facebook to help raise awareness of the turtle’s plight.
Although much of the project’s work is carried out behind closed doors, Jumeirah Hotels & Resorts donated a large penned area at the Madinat Jumeirah Hotel, which is used by the project as a pre-release pen. This area provides an important chance to observe the behaviour of the turtles immediately prior to release, as well as providing an interface between the Public and the turtles, helping to greatly contribute to the local awareness. In excess of 1000 school children visit the project annually and receive guided tours and information on the turtles.
The Dubai Turtle Rehabilitation project is Dubai’s only turtle rehabilitation project and represents a collaboration between The Wildlife Protection Office and Jumeirah’s Aquarium team.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Dubai Browse all
Experience the best of all worlds in Dubai - exceptional accommodation, restauarants, sandy beaches and unmatched shoppin, all for an unbeatable price
- Exlusive Free Half Board upgrade (book by 11 November 2017)!!!
- Delight yourself in a culinary adventure with a selection of 16 dining options to tickle your taste buds
- Club Level rooms available providing access additional amenities and exclusive lounge access
- Located on the spectacular Jumeirah Beach adjacent to the Dubai Marina and only 10 minutes from the Emirates shopping mall
With over 20 restaurants and bars, you will be amazed by the variety of fine fare on offer to enhance your holiday.
- Complimentary services include a 1-2 hour scuba diving session
- Free Half Board on selected dates
- Venture next door with complimentary access to the Wild Wadi Water Park to cool yourself from the summer sun
The perfect location
- Enjoy All Inclusive in beautiful Mauritius and just unwind at the beach
- Combine the best of two worlds in one journey - relax in Mauritian paradise and experience stunning Dubai
- Experience world-class dining in both incredible countries
Discover the beauty of Mauritius and the buzz of Dubai
- Exclusive Added Values in Mauritius: Dinner on the beach for two with fresh fruits on arrival in the room (book by 20 December)
- Intercontinental Mauritius is located on one of the most marvellous parts of the island
- Fantastic selection of facilities and amenities await at the Intercontinental Mauritius, including free Wi-Fi, children's club and fun activities for all ages.
- Stay at the Hyatt Regency Dubai, the only hotel with a restaurant that has a 360 degree view
Habtoor Grand Resort & Spa enjoys a fabulous location beside the world famous Jumeirah Beach overlooking the Dubai...
With a gorgeous location on the west crescent of the Palm Jumeirah, this exclusive and ultra-deluxe resort delivers...
Enjoy the stretches of sand and unlimited sunshine available here as you savour the comforts of Atlantis, The Palm. One...
The first Sofitel SO brand in the world is a luxury Eco resort, set in an oasis of nature in the south of Mauritius,...
With all the modern facilities and comforts you would expect from a 4* hotel, this hotel is set within central Al Barsha...
Situated right at the heart of the Port Rashid district, the Hilton Garden Inn Dubai Al Mina sits ideally between the...