World Cup boosts popularity of Africa holidays
The world is buzzing with football euphoria and this seems to be having a positive effect on the country in which the World Cup is being hosted this year, as South Africa enjoys an unprecedented tourism boom with all the world's attention being drawn here
Confirming the expectations of many in the Africa travel and tourism industry, the FIFA World Cup 2010 being currently held in the African continent has significantly boosted the popularity of Africa holidays among football and non-football fans alike. As much attention has been turned to the southern continent, South Africa hotels are enjoying a great momentum as rooms started to fill up very quickly before the games started, signalling a bright summer for Africa holidays and putting South Africa holidays firmly on the map.
South Africa has now officially greeted and welcomed the world as the FIFA World Cup kicked off on 11th June 2010 and in doing so it received millions of football fanatics coming to enjoy sporty South Africa holidays. Data from STR Global, the leading provider of market information to the global hotel industry, showed that prior to the start of the tournament and in-line with many other parts of the world, the country’s revenue per available room (RevPAR) had began to trend upward during 2010. Nationwide RevPAR registered a small increase of 1.3 % between April 2010 and April 2009. Furthermore, whilst the supply of available rooms has been increasing steadily compared with the previous year as hoteliers gear up to host fans from all over the world, the change in demand, measured as occupied rooms, has also begun to trend upwards in 2010 as seen in the graph below. The peaks for RevPAR and demand during June 2009 coincided with the hosting of the Confederation Cup, the prelude to this year’s competition.
The additional new supply in host cities has negatively affected year-to-date RevPAR results.. All markets reported year-on-year occupancy declines, which drove the RevPAR decreases. Despite falling occupancies Cape Town, Nelspruit and Pretoria have still managed to register modest increases in average daily rate (ADR).
As experienced by other host nations in the past, the long-term influence of the FIFA World Cup on the image and promotion of South Africa holidays to the millions watching on TV should provide a positive boost for future hotel demand of hotels in South Africa.
“The immediate impact of the thousands of visitors on the hospitality industry will be reported by STR Global”, said Elizabeth Randall, managing director of STR Global. “With a sample of hotels covering more than 40,000 rooms in South Africa, we are the ‘go to’ resource when it comes to understanding the performance of the South African hotel market”.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Africa Browse all
Explore the historical surroundings and have a comfortable stay at Mercure Cairo le Sphinx
- Only 35 kilometres from Cairo's international airport
- Guests can enjoy the swimming pool or benefit from the Jacuzzi and all massage treatments the hotel offers
- Rooftop terrace with a memorable breathtaking views of the pyramids
Best of Cape Town, Garden Route & Safari tour is your perfect choice to find out about the country, its history and culture.
- Your journey includes 3 exciting game drives to spot Africa's "Big Five": lion, elephant, buffalo, leopard and rhinoceros
- Highlights includes: Cape Town Garden Route seeing the Cango Caves and the Swartberg Mountain, safari game drives, The Winelands, Monkeyland, Knysna Forest and more
- Excellent services included in the tour: 10 days Toyoto Corolla Car rental with GPS and additional driver option
Unique experience to discover the beautiful nature of South Africa and the dynamic life of Dubai
- More than ten different Food and Beverage Outlets for your choice at Hyatt Regency Dubai
- extraordinary South Africa tour gives you the flexibility to discover the beauty of this amazing country at your own speed
- Your hotel in Dubai enjoys a fantastic locaiton in the heart of the historic Deira within walking distance to the gold souks
Relaxing and unforgetable experince with 11 nights tour including an excellent range of facilities
- Experience the fruitful lifestyle of the Cape Region
- Discover the spectacular landscapes of the Kruger region
- Travel to Karongwe Private Game Reserve to get exclusive access, day and night, to a wide range of animals including the "Big Five"
Sharm El Sheikh is one of Egypt's best kept secrets. Spend six blissful days here enjoying the beauty of the Sinai...
South Africa is one of the most diverse countries in the world, a place where you will find exotic combinations of...
Overview South Africa is one of the most diverse countries in the world, a place where you will find exotic...
HIGHLIGHTS TOUR SAFARI, WINELANDS & CAPE TOWN South Africa is one of the most diverse countries in the world, a place...
Perfectly positioned right at the heart of Marrakesh's chic and trendy Hivernage district, a modern neighbourhood in...
Located on the Atlantic coast at the mouth of the Souss Valley, Agadir is Morocco’s slice of coastal cool....
Beautifully crafted to reflect modern Andalusian style, a Spanish region that was for long conquered by the Moroccan...