Tourists enjoying Barbados holidays increases by 27 percent
Despite turbulent economic times in the travel industry recently, the number of travellers enjoying Barbados holidays is continuing to increase by more than 26 percent as the islands offers festivals, sporting events and direct flights for visitors.
At this week's annual celebrations of Caribbean Week in New York, the increase in U.S travellers taking Barbados holidays was a topic of discussion as the island implements initiatives to attract more visitors the island during the recent challenging economic times in the travel sector.
Richard Sealy, the Minister of Tourism for Barbados, said:
"We have taken many steps to increase the accessibility and lure of our island nation, and are proud to report rising numbers of U.S. visitors this year, a market extremely important to us."
"Through strategic programs appealing to a wide variety of travellers, coupled with our increased direct airlift, we have successfully proven that we, as a destination, have so much more to share than just sun, sea, and sand, and have made it easier than ever to get to Barbados. Our island has so much to offer, and we look forward to continuing to welcome U.S. visitors to our shores and keep them returning with our warm Barbadian hospitality."
The rise in tourists enjoying holidays in Barbados has been helped along by a number of new initiatives launched by tourism officials to the island by introducing more sporting events and festivals including the ICC World Twenty/20 Cricket 2010; the Sentebale Charity Polo Event with royal guests, Prince Harry and Prince Seeiso of Lesotho; the Barbados Jazz Festival with performances from Smokey Robinson; the 11th Annual Caribbean Tourism Organization (CTO) Sustainable Tourism Conference; and the Food & Wine Rum festival which is scheduled for November this year and will feature culinary experts, Marcus Samuelsson and Tom Colicchio.
Direct flights to the islands are bringing more US travellers straight to their Barbados holidays and many airlines are increasing their Caribbean flight services. American Airlines provide direct flights to Barbados from Miami and New York; JetBlue from JFK, New York; Delta flights from Atlanta; and new flights from US Airways scheduled to start this autumn from Charlotte.
The increase in visitors booking Barbados holidays will be welcomed by local businesses and workers as well as Barbados hotels and resorts. Barbados hotels, resorts and local business will all benefit from the 26.6 percent increase in U.S travellers this year – an impressive 10,018 more visitors in comparison to the same time last year.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Barbados Browse all
Enjoy Barbados at the perfect base on the south coast, stay in Worthing Court Apartment Hotel on beautiful Worthing Beach
- All the rooms are comfortable and come equipped with air conditioning, a daily maid service and a balcony/patio
- Short walk away from shops, restaurants, sporting facilities, supermarkets, bars, night clubs and the beautiful Worthing Beach
- Taste delicious local cuisine at the poolside courtyard bistro
Located on the south coast of Barbados with breathtaking ocean views is where Butterfly Beach can be located
- Just 25 minutes to the capital Bridgetown and 10 minutes from the airport
- New Special offer! Discounted Rates plus come check out the upgraded in room facilities!
- Benefit from the self catering service or the fabulous restaurant offering international and Caribbean cuisine
- The Butterfly Beach Hotel is set beside Oistin's Bay with access to two white sand beaches
Stretching along a blessed mile of powdery soft sands, Almond Beach Resort is the perfect place for endless family fun.
- The Kids Club has an outdoor playground and kids-only pool while the Teen Centre for over 13s offers a great variety of fun activities
- Fantastic location 30 minutes to Bridgetown, 5 minutes to Speightstown and 15 minutes to Holetown, there is plenty to explore around the Almond Beach Resort
- Enjoy a Complimentary Island Safari Tour, A fantastic FREE power Boat Trip with a Swim With Turtles and a FREE Half day Island Coach Tour
Enjoy Turtle Beach by Elegant Hotels, the all-suite resort thats warm service and superb facilities that complete a fun-filled holiday to beautiful Barbados
- NEW! From October 2017 Enjoy complimentary daily* rounds of Golf with round trip transportation and clubs are included
- Includes all meals, snacks and drinks as well as non-motorised water sports and Flying Fish Kids Club
- Don't miss out on this incredible offer Kids 16 and under stay, play and eat free
- Enjoy five onsite restaurants and bars, or dine-around privileges at other participating Elegant Hotels
Escape to the pristine beaches of the south coast of Barbados for a holiday you will never forget at Coconut Court Beach...
This is the place to be if you're looking for a sun-drenched holiday by the sea. Rostrevor Hotel is one of the most...
Everyone dreams about a holiday with their loved one or family where they can enjoy unlimited sunshine on an idyllic...
Come to the beautiful island of Barbados and feel the magic of the Caribbean sun. Seven rejuvenating days in the...
You can enjoy all the aspects of this charming island, as the elegant eco-friendly property is located near all the...
St Lawrence Gap is famous for its many restaurants, great shopping and lively nightlife. This 1.3 km stretch of road,...