Tourists enjoying Barbados holidays increases by 27 percent
Despite turbulent economic times in the travel industry recently, the number of travellers enjoying Barbados holidays is continuing to increase by more than 26 percent as the islands offers festivals, sporting events and direct flights for visitors.
At this week's annual celebrations of Caribbean Week in New York, the increase in U.S travellers taking Barbados holidays was a topic of discussion as the island implements initiatives to attract more visitors the island during the recent challenging economic times in the travel sector.
Richard Sealy, the Minister of Tourism for Barbados, said:
"We have taken many steps to increase the accessibility and lure of our island nation, and are proud to report rising numbers of U.S. visitors this year, a market extremely important to us."
"Through strategic programs appealing to a wide variety of travellers, coupled with our increased direct airlift, we have successfully proven that we, as a destination, have so much more to share than just sun, sea, and sand, and have made it easier than ever to get to Barbados. Our island has so much to offer, and we look forward to continuing to welcome U.S. visitors to our shores and keep them returning with our warm Barbadian hospitality."
The rise in tourists enjoying holidays in Barbados has been helped along by a number of new initiatives launched by tourism officials to the island by introducing more sporting events and festivals including the ICC World Twenty/20 Cricket 2010; the Sentebale Charity Polo Event with royal guests, Prince Harry and Prince Seeiso of Lesotho; the Barbados Jazz Festival with performances from Smokey Robinson; the 11th Annual Caribbean Tourism Organization (CTO) Sustainable Tourism Conference; and the Food & Wine Rum festival which is scheduled for November this year and will feature culinary experts, Marcus Samuelsson and Tom Colicchio.
Direct flights to the islands are bringing more US travellers straight to their Barbados holidays and many airlines are increasing their Caribbean flight services. American Airlines provide direct flights to Barbados from Miami and New York; JetBlue from JFK, New York; Delta flights from Atlanta; and new flights from US Airways scheduled to start this autumn from Charlotte.
The increase in visitors booking Barbados holidays will be welcomed by local businesses and workers as well as Barbados hotels and resorts. Barbados hotels, resorts and local business will all benefit from the 26.6 percent increase in U.S travellers this year – an impressive 10,018 more visitors in comparison to the same time last year.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Barbados Browse all
Enjoy Barbados at the perfect base on the south coast, stay in Worthing Court Apartment Hotel on beautiful Worthing Beach
- Situated across the road from the stunning Worthing Beach
- Comfortable and equipped units with air conditioning, a daily maid service and a balcony/patio
- Short walk away from shops, restaurants, sporting facilities, supermarkets, bars, night clubs and the beautiful Worthing Beach
Located on the south coast of Barbados with breathtaking ocean views is where Butterfly Beach can be located
- Walking distance to Oistins Bay where the popular Oistins Fish Fry is held every Friday night
- Tradtional Bajan Style hotel that is walking distance from shops, bars and St Lawrence Gap
- Award winning family hotel with many repeat guests over the years
- June Sale now on with savings of upto 20% for travel up until 2019
Sugar Bay is perfect for travelling solo, enjoying a romantic getaway or special family escape
- Premium All Inclusive hotel with a selection of dining options including a Steakhouse
- Enjoy a Hot Summer now on with savings of upto 40% plus $20 Spa Credit per person
- Ideally located only 15 minutes from the airport and 10 minutes from the capital, Bridgetown
- Enjoy a wide selection of activities including beach volleyball, wind surfing, jet skis, sailing and more
Discover intimate and traditional Bajan flavour at The Club Barbados Resort and Spa
- Ambient and Tranquil Resort that has a signature Spa, two restaurants & three bars including a true Bajan rum shop
- Adults-Only, All Inclusive Resort located on Barbado's West Coast
- Save up to 50% off with the May FLASH SALE
- Complimentary water sports are included from water skiing, windsurfing, hobbie-cats, paddle boarding, snorkelling & reef fishing
You can enjoy all the aspects of this charming island, as the elegant eco-friendly property is located near all the...
Escape to the pristine beaches of the south coast of Barbados for a holiday you will never forget at Coconut Court Beach...
Take a step back from day-to-day life and submerge in the peace and tranquillity that can be found at the fantastic...
Create unforgettable memories at the heart of Barbados' western coast at a collection of one bedroom apartments. Halcyon...
An intimate collection of One Bedroom Apartments located in the heart of the West Coast of Barbados. Travellers Palm...
St Lawrence Gap is famous for its many restaurants, great shopping and lively nightlife. This 1.3 km stretch of road,...