Mexico celebrates China connection enticing Chinese visitors to take Mexico holidays
In order to drive attention from Chinese holidaymakers, The Mexican government recently organised a special competition to select the best kite designs as kite-flying is one of the favourite past-times that both of thse countries share.
In an effort to boost visits from Chinese holidaymakers taking beach Cancun holidays, the Mexican government recently organised a competition to select the best design for "papalotes" (kites) an art form of entertainment with strong ties that establish a connection between China and Mexico.
Gloria Guevara Manzo, Mexico's Secretary of Tourism, said in an interview with Xinhua that more than 500 companies submitted their entries for the competition in a hope to generate interest in Cancun holidays among the Chinese holiday market.
According to Xinhua, Guevara Manzo said Mexico hopes familiarity (with the kite connection for example) - with a Latin twist -- will entice Chinese visitors to take interest in Mexico holidays and the ever popular Cancun holidays. The main feature of the Mexico Pavilion at the Expo lies with the design of the "papalotes", a word that comes from the Nahuatl "papalote," which means butterfly or kite.
The Secretary of Tourism said "It was very difficult to choose the winner because you need to have a very special theme related to the connection between China and Mexico. "The kite is something that came from China and also very popular in Mexico," said Guevara, who was appointed to Mexico's Cabinet to promote the country abroad.
Visitors can also enjoy a typical mariachi performance, Mexican food, art and handicrafts. They can fly Mexican-made kites in the public square near the pavilion.
China is Mexico's second largest trade partner, but Chinese tourist numbers are relatively low. According to Mexico's embassy in China, fewer than 20,000 Chinese travel to Mexico each year.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Mexico and Cancun Browse all
Life doesn't get much better than a stay in the Riviera Maya, just a heart beat away from the awe-inspiring Tulum pyramids
- The FREE Unlimited Connectivity app allows guests to make local calls, send messages, emails and surf the web over the hotel's Wi-Fi. It's even possible to book Spa treatments, plan romantic dinners, check the resort map, book activities and more
- The proximity to the "best-preserved Mayan ruins in the Western Hemisphere"
- All-inclusive facilities include 9 restaurants, 7 bars, a private beach, 2 pools and more
Use up to $2000 resort credit to indulge in spa treatments, golf sessions or a selection of excursions that will make your Cancun holiday truly unforgettable.
- Duran Duran in concert at Moon Palace on 29th December (tickets additional cost)
- Winner of the Trip Advisor 2015 Travellers Choice Award
- Enjoy the impressive $2000 Resort Credit per booking that you can spend on golf, spa treatments, dolphin swims, visit to Chichen Itza, Express Tour of Tulum, Family fun days out at the Wet 'N' Wild Waterpark and much more
- Whether you are looking for an active holiday or a relaxing break, Moon Palace Resort is an ideal destination for travellers of all ages
The ideal romantic setting for honeymooners and lovers to enjoy an adults only haven
- Unwind at the lavish Secrets Spa by Pevonia complete with 17 massage rooms and a hypnotherapy circuit
- Unlimited-Luxury concept offering exceptional all-inclusive privileges
- The Adults only resort promises great parties and is just 20 minutes from the nightlife of Cancun
- Travel from May onwards and enjoy a fantastic upgrade to a Preferred Club Junior Suite Pool View
Escape and indulge yourself at the recently opened Secrets The Vine, a haven of natural beauty and elegance on the shores of the Yucatan Peninsula
- Stay in an adults only Uultra deluxe beachside haven in the heart of Cancun sure to provide the perfect base for a great holiday
- Huge Savings when staying in Preferred Club rooms or suites
- Enjoy complimentary green fees at the nearby Playa Mujeres Golf Club
- Unlimited-Luxury privileges include gourmet dining at 7 restaurants and unlimited top-shelf spirits at 8 bars
If you're searching for the perfect combination of beach fun and natural discovery, look no further. Home to ancient...
The Riviera Maya, admired for its history and its wondrous sugar-white sands, kaleidoscope of green palm trees,and deep...
Take a holiday to the Caribbean resort of Cancun in Mexico. In the magnificent Moon Palace Cancun you will be perfectly...
Rejuvenate in a peaceful and soothing atmosphere during a memorable holiday at the all-inclusive Gran Caribe Resort and...
Playacar is simply one of the most scintillating stretches of coastline in Mexico, if not the world. Take eight days to...
Step into every scuba divers paradise during an 8-day holiday to the beautiful Mexican island of Cozumel, where...