Mexico celebrates China connection enticing Chinese visitors to take Mexico holidays
In order to drive attention from Chinese holidaymakers, The Mexican government recently organised a special competition to select the best kite designs as kite-flying is one of the favourite past-times that both of thse countries share.
In an effort to boost visits from Chinese holidaymakers taking beach Cancun holidays, the Mexican government recently organised a competition to select the best design for "papalotes" (kites) an art form of entertainment with strong ties that establish a connection between China and Mexico.
Gloria Guevara Manzo, Mexico's Secretary of Tourism, said in an interview with Xinhua that more than 500 companies submitted their entries for the competition in a hope to generate interest in Cancun holidays among the Chinese holiday market.
According to Xinhua, Guevara Manzo said Mexico hopes familiarity (with the kite connection for example) - with a Latin twist -- will entice Chinese visitors to take interest in Mexico holidays and the ever popular Cancun holidays. The main feature of the Mexico Pavilion at the Expo lies with the design of the "papalotes", a word that comes from the Nahuatl "papalote," which means butterfly or kite.
The Secretary of Tourism said "It was very difficult to choose the winner because you need to have a very special theme related to the connection between China and Mexico. "The kite is something that came from China and also very popular in Mexico," said Guevara, who was appointed to Mexico's Cabinet to promote the country abroad.
Visitors can also enjoy a typical mariachi performance, Mexican food, art and handicrafts. They can fly Mexican-made kites in the public square near the pavilion.
China is Mexico's second largest trade partner, but Chinese tourist numbers are relatively low. According to Mexico's embassy in China, fewer than 20,000 Chinese travel to Mexico each year.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Mexico and Cancun Browse all
Stay close to all the action in a fabulous resort that's part of a beautiful ecological reserve and sits right next to Xcaret, Cancun's number one theme park.
- Exclusive discount to the eco-archaeological Xcaret Park
- Enjoy access to 11 Restaurants and 10 Bars & access to 5 Swimming Pools
- Limitless all-inclusive fun and thrills for everyone in a beautiful eco-reserve facing a glorious beach
Life doesn't get much better than a stay in the Riviera Maya, just a heart beat away from the awe-inspiring Tulum pyramids
- The FREE Unlimited Connectivity app allows guests to make local calls, send messages, emails and surf the web over the hotel's Wi-Fi. It's even possible to book Spa treatments, plan romantic dinners, check the resort map, book activities and more
- The proximity to the "best-preserved Mayan ruins in the Western Hemisphere"
- All-inclusive facilities include 9 restaurants, 7 bars, a private beach, 2 pools and more
Let the Caribbean sunshine make you glow from the inside out when you stay at Cancun's Golden Parnassus resort - a truly luxurious all inclusive retreat where you'll be wanting for nothing.
- Take advantage of the superb facilities and enjoy a range of activities including water sports, mini golf and tennis
- A luxury all inclusive resort offering a relaxing adults-only environment ideal for a pampering beach holiday or romantic honeymoon
- Ideal location set by a beautiful white sand beach in Cancun with sweeping views of the Mexican Caribbean
Escape and indulge yourself at the recently opened Secrets The Vine, a haven of natural beauty and elegance on the shores of the Yucatan Peninsula
- Stay in an adults only Uultra deluxe beachside haven in the heart of Cancun sure to provide the perfect base for a great holiday
- Huge Savings when staying in Preferred Club rooms or suites
- Enjoy complimentary green fees at the nearby Playa Mujeres Golf Club
- Unlimited-Luxury privileges include gourmet dining at 7 restaurants and unlimited top-shelf spirits at 8 bars
If you're searching for the perfect combination of beach fun and natural discovery, look no further. Home to ancient...
The Riviera Maya, admired for its history and its wondrous sugar-white sands, kaleidoscope of green palm trees,and deep...
Take a holiday to the Caribbean resort of Cancun in Mexico. In the magnificent Moon Palace Cancun you will be perfectly...
Take a trip to the sunny side of life with an 8-day excursion to Mexico's lovely Caribbean Sea coastline. This is widely...
Playa del Carmen is one of the most beautiful beaches in the world. Spend eight days revelling in the fine white sands...
For the ideal combination of natural beauty and fun-filled activities, look no further than Sunscape Sabor Cozumel....