Mexico celebrates China connection enticing Chinese visitors to take Mexico holidays
In order to drive attention from Chinese holidaymakers, The Mexican government recently organised a special competition to select the best kite designs as kite-flying is one of the favourite past-times that both of thse countries share.
In an effort to boost visits from Chinese holidaymakers taking beach Cancun holidays, the Mexican government recently organised a competition to select the best design for "papalotes" (kites) an art form of entertainment with strong ties that establish a connection between China and Mexico.
Gloria Guevara Manzo, Mexico's Secretary of Tourism, said in an interview with Xinhua that more than 500 companies submitted their entries for the competition in a hope to generate interest in Cancun holidays among the Chinese holiday market.
According to Xinhua, Guevara Manzo said Mexico hopes familiarity (with the kite connection for example) - with a Latin twist -- will entice Chinese visitors to take interest in Mexico holidays and the ever popular Cancun holidays. The main feature of the Mexico Pavilion at the Expo lies with the design of the "papalotes", a word that comes from the Nahuatl "papalote," which means butterfly or kite.
The Secretary of Tourism said "It was very difficult to choose the winner because you need to have a very special theme related to the connection between China and Mexico. "The kite is something that came from China and also very popular in Mexico," said Guevara, who was appointed to Mexico's Cabinet to promote the country abroad.
Visitors can also enjoy a typical mariachi performance, Mexican food, art and handicrafts. They can fly Mexican-made kites in the public square near the pavilion.
China is Mexico's second largest trade partner, but Chinese tourist numbers are relatively low. According to Mexico's embassy in China, fewer than 20,000 Chinese travel to Mexico each year.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 19:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Mexico and Cancun Browse all
Stay close to all the action in a fabulous resort that's part of a beautiful ecological reserve and sits right next to Xcaret, Cancun's number one theme park.
- This resort is a fantastic choice for an exciting family holiday that you will never forget, why not make it extra special by upgrading to visit the amazing Xcaret Park (extra charges apply)
- Limitless all-inclusive fun and thrills for everyone in a beautiful eco-reserve facing a glorious beach
- Enjoy access to 11 Restaurants and 10 Bars catering to every taste and occasion & access to 7 glorious Swimming Pools including 1 at Royal Level, 1 salt water pool only for adults and 1 children's pool
Use up to $2000 resort credit to indulge in spa treatments, golf sessions or a selection of excursions that will make your Cancun holiday truly unforgettable.
- Duran Duran in concert at Moon Palace on 29th December (tickets additional cost)
- Winner of the Trip Advisor 2015 Travellers Choice Award
- Enjoy the impressive $2000 Resort Credit per booking that you can spend on golf, spa treatments, dolphin swims, visit to Chichen Itza, Express Tour of Tulum, Family fun days out at the Wet 'N' Wild Waterpark and much more
- Whether you are looking for an active holiday or a relaxing break, Moon Palace Resort is an ideal destination for travellers of all ages
The ideal romantic setting for honeymooners and lovers to enjoy an adults only haven
- The Adults only resort promises great parties and is just 20 minutes from the nightlife of Cancun
- Unwind at the lavish Secrets Spa by Pevonia® complete with 17 massage rooms and a hypnotherapy circuit
- Unlimited-Luxury® concept offering exceptional all-inclusive privileges
Escape and indulge yourself at the recently opened Secrets The Vine, a haven of natural beauty and elegance on the shores of the Yucatan Peninsula
- Unlimited-Luxury® privileges include gourmet dining at 6 restaurants, a poolside grill, a cafe and unlimited top-shelf spirits at 6 bars and lounges
- Enjoy complimentary green fees at the nearby Playa Mujeres Golf Club
- Stay in an adults only ultra deluxe beachside haven in the heart of Cancun sure to provide the perfect base for a great holiday
- Signature element of wine with a winery including over 3000 varieties of wine.
If you're searching for the perfect combination of beach fun and natural discovery, look no further than Occidental at...
The Riviera Maya has long been one of the touristic gems of the Americas. The Now Sapphire Riviera Cancun is set just...
Whether looking for a relaxing retreat with your partner, or simply searching for some peace and intimacy by yourself, a...
Soak up the sun in limitless luxury surrounded by luscious gardens and an idyllic setting at Oasis Cancun Lite. Your...
No matter if you're returning or if this is your first time to Cancun, days full of entertainment and fine dining at the...
Take advantage of the amazing perks available at the all-inclusive Grand Ocean Oasis Sens while on a long 15-day holiday...