Celebrating the June Solstice with Cuba holidays
For the delight of those enjoying Cuba holidays during the end of this month, Havana's Planetarium will be open for visitors offering them a chance to witness the 20th June solstice and measure the maximum height of the sun on the horizon with telescopes.
Starry Cuba holidays can be enjoyed soon as by the end of the month a special solstice celebration is due to take place in Old Havana. During their holidays in Cuba astronomy lovers will be able to measure the maximum height of the sun on the horizon with refractor telescopes enabled at the Planetarium in the historic centre of Havana next 20th June, during the eve of the June solstice.
Marking the official arrival of the summer season for Cuba holidays whilst also highlighting the maximum duration of a day in the northern hemisphere, these astronomical celebrations will become a tribute to the sun in the scientific and cultural Institution in Old Havana, opened last December as part of the celebrations for the International Year of Astronomy.
Telescopic observations of planets and other stars visible that day against the night sky and the explanation of the astronomic significance of the date are also part of the activities planned by the astronomical Institution.
The initiative kickstarted as part of the celebrations for World Environment Day on 5th June which began with a massive participation of children with classroom-museum projects in the city's historic centre.
Curious travellers and astronomy-loving creatures will have the chance to take part in the programme during their Cuba holidays with the academic programme of the Planetarium including a cycle of interactive conferences focused on topics like the need of the sensors in space exploration, environmental monitoring and renewable sources of energy, with scholars from the Faculty of Physics, University of Havana.
Other interesting topics discussed at the astronomy event will be: The big bang panel of the pyramids: the challenges of the scientific world, as well as a lecture on the solar alternative.
For those interested in visiting it as part of their exploration of the city during their Havana holidays in Cuba, the planetarium, located in Plaza Vieja (Old Square) in Old Havana, has an astronomical computer graphics library, a theatre space with 65 seats, interactive games and a qualified staff of astronomers and physicists, who operate the equipment. Also a projector capable of capturing 6,500 stars and surrounded by a huge sphere representing the sun.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
With great watersports galore, your winter-sun holiday can be one to remember in Cuba
- Try your hand at some adrenaline-pumping water sports including sailing, windsurfing and diving
- If you’re not up for a night on the tiles you can simply chill out at the resort and enjoy the evening’s entertainment
- If you’re a night-owl you won’t be able to resist Varadero’s buzzing nightlife
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 08th Feb
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
- Blau Varadero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
Discover the relaxing Varadero and sink into sublim tranquillity
- Experience the beauty of Varadero Beach where you can relax and unwind on the tranquil white sandy beaches whilst enjoying the 24-hrs All-inclusive offered at the Luxurious Iberostar Varadero
- Stay in Havana's most highly rated hotel, with an iconic location facing Central Park
- Discover Cuba whilst staying at the 2 Top rated TripAdvisor hotels in Cuba
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Start your holiday at The Melia Habana Hotel, located in the heart of the elegant Miramar district, overlooking the sea....
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
This carefully selected combination of hotels combines a stay in Havana with a stay upon the coast of Varadero. Start...