Celebrating the June Solstice with Cuba holidays
For the delight of those enjoying Cuba holidays during the end of this month, Havana's Planetarium will be open for visitors offering them a chance to witness the 20th June solstice and measure the maximum height of the sun on the horizon with telescopes.
Starry Cuba holidays can be enjoyed soon as by the end of the month a special solstice celebration is due to take place in Old Havana. During their holidays in Cuba astronomy lovers will be able to measure the maximum height of the sun on the horizon with refractor telescopes enabled at the Planetarium in the historic centre of Havana next 20th June, during the eve of the June solstice.
Marking the official arrival of the summer season for Cuba holidays whilst also highlighting the maximum duration of a day in the northern hemisphere, these astronomical celebrations will become a tribute to the sun in the scientific and cultural Institution in Old Havana, opened last December as part of the celebrations for the International Year of Astronomy.
Telescopic observations of planets and other stars visible that day against the night sky and the explanation of the astronomic significance of the date are also part of the activities planned by the astronomical Institution.
The initiative kickstarted as part of the celebrations for World Environment Day on 5th June which began with a massive participation of children with classroom-museum projects in the city's historic centre.
Curious travellers and astronomy-loving creatures will have the chance to take part in the programme during their Cuba holidays with the academic programme of the Planetarium including a cycle of interactive conferences focused on topics like the need of the sensors in space exploration, environmental monitoring and renewable sources of energy, with scholars from the Faculty of Physics, University of Havana.
Other interesting topics discussed at the astronomy event will be: The big bang panel of the pyramids: the challenges of the scientific world, as well as a lecture on the solar alternative.
For those interested in visiting it as part of their exploration of the city during their Havana holidays in Cuba, the planetarium, located in Plaza Vieja (Old Square) in Old Havana, has an astronomical computer graphics library, a theatre space with 65 seats, interactive games and a qualified staff of astronomers and physicists, who operate the equipment. Also a projector capable of capturing 6,500 stars and surrounded by a huge sphere representing the sun.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Dive into the warm water of Varadero beach and relax under the caribbean sunshine
- Enjoy a fantastic tour
- Book now and benefit from huge savings with the launch of the new Virgin Atlantic to Varadero offer!
- Suites feature a separate living area and Tropical suites feature breathtaking views of the sea
- Golf lovers can play on the nearby Varadero 18 hole golf course
Enjoy a wide range of added values, fun activities or relax and lie under the sun on exclusive private beach area in Varadero
- Never waste a minute of your holiday and enjoy all fun activities from waters sports to golf lessons at Bella Costa
- Memories Miramar Hotel has a fantastic location and is only a 5-minute walk from the nearest beach
- Experience Varadero to the fullest with fantastic options for couples, families or singles as there is something to suit everyone
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 4th May 2017
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
One of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the Capri is a legendary property with over...
Soak up the history of Havana as well as the magnificence of Varadero beach on an unforgettable twin centre holiday to...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
This 1920s colonial house is surrounded by lush vegetation and terrace areas and boasts a stunning array of antiques,...
Fancy a charming and adventurous holiday? Why not try our twin centre package that allows you to explore the contagious...