A French Carnival Spin for St Lucia holidays this Summer
This year St Lucia's carnival season is set to receive more attention than ever as a French group of radio and tvbroadcasters is set to document the whole thing from the very beginning in an effort to better portray St Lucia's rich heritage and culture.
The most fun-filled event for St Lucia holidays this summer and the island's premiere cultural showpiece, the St Lucia Carnival, is receiving additional overseas exposure this year thanks to a special connection to a French-based media outlet. Just last week, the island played host to a 3-member broadcast crew from Martinique's national radio and television station, RFO (Radio-Télévision Française d' Outre-Mer) for a special documentary highlighting the kind of activities worldwide travellers could be enjoying while on their St Lucia holidays during the carnival season.
Facilitated by the Saint Lucia Tourist Board, the RFO broadcasting team started documenting the 2010 summer carnival season which officially got underway on Sunday, 6th June at Samaans Park.
The team was led by RFO's Director of Caribbean Affairs Max Maurice-Madelon who, over the past 10 years, has played a pivotal role in getting French media authorities to pay greater attention to the rich and diverse cultural heritage that can be found on St Lucia holidays. Maurice-Madelon says that although RFO has previously covered other big island events such as the Saint Lucia Jazz and Carnival celebrations for close to a decade, this year marks the first time that coverage is being provided right from the start of the festival.
The RFO team will return to carnivalistic St Lucia holidays during the peak of carnival celebrations from 16-21 July 2010, to document the Carnival Queen show and the two-day Parade of the Bands. The team will produce an hour-long documentary on the street parade together with two half-hour shows. The first will showcase events staged at various venues like Samaans Park, while the other will highlight the participation of a Martiniquan band in local carnival. It will trace their departure in Fort-de-France on board L'Express des Iles to their arrival at Port Castries, their interaction with Cultural Development Foundation officials and their actual participation in the carnival jump up on Carnival Monday and Tuesday.
Commenting on how this initiative will help promote St Lucia holidays by capturing the carnival season in a much more detailed fashion and covering a wider scope, Saint Lucia's Director of Tourism Louis Lewis declared: "The French market of Martinique and Guadeloupe has always been a priority for Saint Lucia and continues to hold tremendous potential for further boosting tourist arrivals and increasing revenues." According to Lewis, "all is being done to further expose Saint Lucia and its many offerings to as wide a cross section of that market as possible, and the Saint Lucia Carnival serves as the perfect vehicle for doing that."
Last year, a record number of carnival bands from Martinique and Guadeloupe participated in the Saint Lucia Carnival.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 17:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In St Lucia Browse all
Be seduced by golden sunsets, fine dining and the crystalline waters of the Caribbean Sea at the recently renovated St James Club, Morgan's Bay.
- Exclusive Half Term special offer, limited availability so book now!
- Kids can enjoy a playground as well as a kids' club open daily for 2 to 11 year olds
- Non-motorised water sports including hobie cat sailing, snorkelling and kayaks
Guests will be delighted by Sandals Regency La Toc Golf Resort and Spa , set on an expansive stretch of the golden sandy beach
- The red lane spa offers exclusive services ideal for relaxation and rejuvenation
- Enjoy HALF PRICE luxury accommodation with 'The Sandals Upto 60% off SALE’
- Enjoy a round of golf at the 9 hole golf course, laze by the pool, try the range of water sports or dance the night away at the nightclub
- The resort offers a refined yet fun atmosphere and a superb range of Global Gourmet® options and leisure facilities
It doesn't get any better than this perfect escape, designed for couples looking for an intimate and romantic experience
- Recently refurbished, including the addition of a new "toes in the sand" restaurant
- All beverages included, such as Premium Brand Alcohol and Wine by the bottle at dinner
- Water Sports and Scuba Boat Dives with Personalized Instruction
With 30 cottage style suites, lush tropical garden, and a secluded sandy beach, the hotel is sure to make your tropical getaway truly unforgettable.
- Visit the hotel's Open Air Spa Pavilion to enjoy a variety of beauty treatments and relaxing massages as well as the soothing sounds of the garden and the cooling tropical breeze.
- Have some fun in the sun and on the water with a variety of watersports available, including hobie cat sailing, kayaking, snorkelling, and more.
- Enjoy a variety of Exclusive Experiences offered by the hotel, including daily Yoga and Pilates classes, hiking tours, and an open air fitness area.
This holiday take time to refresh your body and revitalise your soul with an eight-day excursion to the west coast of...
Take a trip to the southern reaches of Santa Lucia and discover the delights of one of the most sought after resorts...
Sandals Halcyon Beach, located on the immaculate, sun-kissed sands of Choc Bay, is the ideal getaway for those looking...
Let yourself be taken on an unforgettable journey of jazz at the 25th anniversary of the St Lucia Jazz & Arts festival....
Experience the ultimate Caribbean holiday with eight unforgettable days in St. Lucia. This is where Mother Nature brings...
Turn your dream of a Caribbean holiday into a reality and discover one of the most exotic islands in the world. Come...