A French Carnival Spin for St Lucia holidays this Summer
This year St Lucia's carnival season is set to receive more attention than ever as a French group of radio and tvbroadcasters is set to document the whole thing from the very beginning in an effort to better portray St Lucia's rich heritage and culture.
The most fun-filled event for St Lucia holidays this summer and the island's premiere cultural showpiece, the St Lucia Carnival, is receiving additional overseas exposure this year thanks to a special connection to a French-based media outlet. Just last week, the island played host to a 3-member broadcast crew from Martinique's national radio and television station, RFO (Radio-Télévision Française d' Outre-Mer) for a special documentary highlighting the kind of activities worldwide travellers could be enjoying while on their St Lucia holidays during the carnival season.
Facilitated by the Saint Lucia Tourist Board, the RFO broadcasting team started documenting the 2010 summer carnival season which officially got underway on Sunday, 6th June at Samaans Park.
The team was led by RFO's Director of Caribbean Affairs Max Maurice-Madelon who, over the past 10 years, has played a pivotal role in getting French media authorities to pay greater attention to the rich and diverse cultural heritage that can be found on St Lucia holidays. Maurice-Madelon says that although RFO has previously covered other big island events such as the Saint Lucia Jazz and Carnival celebrations for close to a decade, this year marks the first time that coverage is being provided right from the start of the festival.
The RFO team will return to carnivalistic St Lucia holidays during the peak of carnival celebrations from 16-21 July 2010, to document the Carnival Queen show and the two-day Parade of the Bands. The team will produce an hour-long documentary on the street parade together with two half-hour shows. The first will showcase events staged at various venues like Samaans Park, while the other will highlight the participation of a Martiniquan band in local carnival. It will trace their departure in Fort-de-France on board L'Express des Iles to their arrival at Port Castries, their interaction with Cultural Development Foundation officials and their actual participation in the carnival jump up on Carnival Monday and Tuesday.
Commenting on how this initiative will help promote St Lucia holidays by capturing the carnival season in a much more detailed fashion and covering a wider scope, Saint Lucia's Director of Tourism Louis Lewis declared: "The French market of Martinique and Guadeloupe has always been a priority for Saint Lucia and continues to hold tremendous potential for further boosting tourist arrivals and increasing revenues." According to Lewis, "all is being done to further expose Saint Lucia and its many offerings to as wide a cross section of that market as possible, and the Saint Lucia Carnival serves as the perfect vehicle for doing that."
Last year, a record number of carnival bands from Martinique and Guadeloupe participated in the Saint Lucia Carnival.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In St Lucia Browse all
Experience a fabulous family comfort at Bay Gardens Inn
- Free daily breakfast and a private terrace and balcony in every room
- Enjoy a taste of the Caribbean at Creole Pot restaurant, with island favourites prepared each morning
- All Guests gain complimentary access to Bay Gardens Beach Resort's Splash Island Water Park and Water sports!
- Delight in a wide variety of massages and therapies at the beutiful La Mer Spa
Discover Castries' lively atmosphere, then head to your intimate luxury hideaway in the stunningly secluded Choc Bay.
- Winter Sale: Save £900 in a upgraded Honeymoon Hideaway Luxury Poolside Room
- Discover a perfect place for relaxation and rejuvenation at Red Lane Spa
- Dine beneath the stars at the Bayside Restaurant and enjoy complimentary golfing at the nearby Sandals La Toc
- Get unlimited scuba diving fully included as part of your experience!
Guests will be delighted by this couples only resort, set on an expansive stretch of the golden sandy beach
- Book a standard coach transfer and get a FREE Upgrade to a Private Transfer - Must book before 25th October 2016
- The resort offers a refined yet fun atmosphere and a superb range of dining options and leisure facilities
- The red lane spa offers exclusive services ideal for relaxation and rejuvenation
- Enjoy a round of golf at the 9 hole golf course, laze by the pool, try the range of water sports or dance the night away at the nightclub
Life in Rodney Bay offers stunning sunsets, an exquisite beach and bars, clubs and restaurants - Blu St Lucia is perfectly placed to enjoy all
- Only a few minutes away from the famous Rodney bay village where you can enjoy the night life of St Lucia
- Guests can choose from rooms with a private verandah or direct access to the pool. Suites have private sun decks and junior suites can connect with adjacent suites to offer family accommodation.
- Families can enjoy wonderful on-site facilities including a swimming pool, fitness centre, tennis and a Harlequin Kiddies' club. All day dining and drinks are served in the restaurant and there's an ice cream shop and a boutique.
Take a trip to the southern reaches of Santa Lucia and discover the delights of one of the most sought after resorts...
This holiday take time to refresh your body and revitalise your soul with an eight-day excursion to the west coast of...
Experience the romantic getaway you and your loved one have always fantasised about with eight days on the picturesque...
Let yourself be taken on an unforgettable journey of jazz at the 25th anniversary of the St Lucia Jazz & Arts festival....
Experience the ultimate Caribbean holiday with eight unforgettable days in St. Lucia. This is where Mother Nature brings...
Turn your dream of a Caribbean holiday into a reality and discover one of the most exotic islands in the world. Come...