A French Carnival Spin for St Lucia holidays this Summer
This year St Lucia's carnival season is set to receive more attention than ever as a French group of radio and tvbroadcasters is set to document the whole thing from the very beginning in an effort to better portray St Lucia's rich heritage and culture.
The most fun-filled event for St Lucia holidays this summer and the island's premiere cultural showpiece, the St Lucia Carnival, is receiving additional overseas exposure this year thanks to a special connection to a French-based media outlet. Just last week, the island played host to a 3-member broadcast crew from Martinique's national radio and television station, RFO (Radio-Télévision Française d' Outre-Mer) for a special documentary highlighting the kind of activities worldwide travellers could be enjoying while on their St Lucia holidays during the carnival season.
Facilitated by the Saint Lucia Tourist Board, the RFO broadcasting team started documenting the 2010 summer carnival season which officially got underway on Sunday, 6th June at Samaans Park.
The team was led by RFO's Director of Caribbean Affairs Max Maurice-Madelon who, over the past 10 years, has played a pivotal role in getting French media authorities to pay greater attention to the rich and diverse cultural heritage that can be found on St Lucia holidays. Maurice-Madelon says that although RFO has previously covered other big island events such as the Saint Lucia Jazz and Carnival celebrations for close to a decade, this year marks the first time that coverage is being provided right from the start of the festival.
The RFO team will return to carnivalistic St Lucia holidays during the peak of carnival celebrations from 16-21 July 2010, to document the Carnival Queen show and the two-day Parade of the Bands. The team will produce an hour-long documentary on the street parade together with two half-hour shows. The first will showcase events staged at various venues like Samaans Park, while the other will highlight the participation of a Martiniquan band in local carnival. It will trace their departure in Fort-de-France on board L'Express des Iles to their arrival at Port Castries, their interaction with Cultural Development Foundation officials and their actual participation in the carnival jump up on Carnival Monday and Tuesday.
Commenting on how this initiative will help promote St Lucia holidays by capturing the carnival season in a much more detailed fashion and covering a wider scope, Saint Lucia's Director of Tourism Louis Lewis declared: "The French market of Martinique and Guadeloupe has always been a priority for Saint Lucia and continues to hold tremendous potential for further boosting tourist arrivals and increasing revenues." According to Lewis, "all is being done to further expose Saint Lucia and its many offerings to as wide a cross section of that market as possible, and the Saint Lucia Carnival serves as the perfect vehicle for doing that."
Last year, a record number of carnival bands from Martinique and Guadeloupe participated in the Saint Lucia Carnival.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In St Lucia Browse all
Be seduced by golden sunsets, fine dining and the crystal-clear water of the Caribbean Sea at the recently renovated St James Club, Morgan's Bay.
- Children stay and eat FREE when sharing with 2 adults!
- A selection of complimentary activities available, Non-motorised water sports including: windsurfing, hobbie cat sailing, snorkelling and kayaks
- 4 restaurants and 4 bars to suit every taste on your All Inclusive stay!
Go for a Premium all-inclusive experience where children and grown-ups each have their own world of endless fun, adventure and indulgement.
- Save up to a fantastic 58%!! and the 1st Child STAYS FREE
- Please note hotel is closed for renovations on 1st-30th September 17
- Experience St Lucia's only water park attraction with beach, several swimming pools, waterfalls, lazy river and water slides
- Enjoy complimentary round trip transfers from Hewanorra International Airport
- Enjoy FREE $500 resort credit when staying a minimum of 7 nights to be used on tours, spa treatments, photography services and the in resort boutique
Enjoy your stay in St Lucia's only resort with the iconic view of both Pitons mountains as they rise in splendour from the azure Caribbean Sea
- St. Lucia's only resort with the iconic view of both the Piti & Gros Piton mountains floating upon the Caribbean Sea
- A private estate of 600 lush tropical acres bordering two soft-sand Caribbean beaches with unspoiled coral reefs just offshore
- Perfect resort for travelling divers - PADI Dive Center available
It doesn't get any better than this perfect escape, designed for couples looking for an intimate and romantic experience
- Exclusive offer: Massive Savings of upto £750 per person!
- Recently refurbished, including the addition of a new "toes in the sand" restaurant
- All beverages included, such as Premium Brand Alcohol and Wine by the bottle at dinner
- Water Sports and Scuba Boat Dives with Personalized Instruction
This holiday take time to refresh your body and revitalise your soul with an eight-day excursion to the west coast of...
Find peace and quiet as you enjoy the astounding natural beauty which surrounds the Marigot Bay hotel during an 8-day...
Take a trip to the southern reaches of Santa Lucia and discover the delights of one of the most sought after resorts...
Let yourself be taken on an unforgettable journey of jazz at the 25th anniversary of the St Lucia Jazz & Arts festival....
Experience the ultimate Caribbean holiday with eight unforgettable days in St. Lucia. This is where Mother Nature brings...
Burrowed upon Rodney Bay, The All-inclusive Rex Papillion Hotel offers direct access to the pristine white sands of...