A French Carnival Spin for St Lucia holidays this Summer
This year St Lucia's carnival season is set to receive more attention than ever as a French group of radio and tvbroadcasters is set to document the whole thing from the very beginning in an effort to better portray St Lucia's rich heritage and culture.
The most fun-filled event for St Lucia holidays this summer and the island's premiere cultural showpiece, the St Lucia Carnival, is receiving additional overseas exposure this year thanks to a special connection to a French-based media outlet. Just last week, the island played host to a 3-member broadcast crew from Martinique's national radio and television station, RFO (Radio-Télévision Française d' Outre-Mer) for a special documentary highlighting the kind of activities worldwide travellers could be enjoying while on their St Lucia holidays during the carnival season.
Facilitated by the Saint Lucia Tourist Board, the RFO broadcasting team started documenting the 2010 summer carnival season which officially got underway on Sunday, 6th June at Samaans Park.
The team was led by RFO's Director of Caribbean Affairs Max Maurice-Madelon who, over the past 10 years, has played a pivotal role in getting French media authorities to pay greater attention to the rich and diverse cultural heritage that can be found on St Lucia holidays. Maurice-Madelon says that although RFO has previously covered other big island events such as the Saint Lucia Jazz and Carnival celebrations for close to a decade, this year marks the first time that coverage is being provided right from the start of the festival.
The RFO team will return to carnivalistic St Lucia holidays during the peak of carnival celebrations from 16-21 July 2010, to document the Carnival Queen show and the two-day Parade of the Bands. The team will produce an hour-long documentary on the street parade together with two half-hour shows. The first will showcase events staged at various venues like Samaans Park, while the other will highlight the participation of a Martiniquan band in local carnival. It will trace their departure in Fort-de-France on board L'Express des Iles to their arrival at Port Castries, their interaction with Cultural Development Foundation officials and their actual participation in the carnival jump up on Carnival Monday and Tuesday.
Commenting on how this initiative will help promote St Lucia holidays by capturing the carnival season in a much more detailed fashion and covering a wider scope, Saint Lucia's Director of Tourism Louis Lewis declared: "The French market of Martinique and Guadeloupe has always been a priority for Saint Lucia and continues to hold tremendous potential for further boosting tourist arrivals and increasing revenues." According to Lewis, "all is being done to further expose Saint Lucia and its many offerings to as wide a cross section of that market as possible, and the Saint Lucia Carnival serves as the perfect vehicle for doing that."
Last year, a record number of carnival bands from Martinique and Guadeloupe participated in the Saint Lucia Carnival.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 17:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In St Lucia Browse all
Discover Ocean Views and St Lucian magic In Morgan Bay with a free room upgrade and upto half price accomodation
Be seduced by golden sunsets, fine dining and the crystal-clear water of the Caribbean Sea at St James Club, Morgan's Bay.
- Take advantage of savings up to 50% for travel in 2017 and 2018, Room upgrades or have Christmas on us!
- A selection of complimentary activities available, Non-motorised water sports including: windsurfing, hobbie cat sailing, snorkelling and kayaks
- 4 restaurants and 4 bars to suit every taste included in your all inclusive plan
- 1 Child stays and eats free in a Premium Double or 2 Children stay free in a Family Suite
Go for a Premium all-inclusive experience where children and grown-ups each have their own world of endless fun, adventure and indulgement.
- Experience St Lucia's only water park attraction with beach, several swimming pools, waterfalls, lazy river and water slides
- Enjoy FREE $500 resort credit savings when staying a minimum of 7 nights to be used on tours, spa treatments, photography services and the in resort boutique
- Enjoy complimentary round trip transfers from Hewanorra International Airport
- Save up to a fantastic 60%!! and the 1st Child STAYS FREE plus 50% for Christmas & New Year
Discover Castries' lively atmosphere, then head to your intimate luxury hideaway Sandals Halcyon Beach St. Lucia
- Luxury Included® - All Included, All Unlimited, All the Time with the choice of upto 27 five Star Global Gourmet™ restaurants and 7 bars
- Enjoy HALF PRICE luxury accommodation with 'The Sandals Upto 60% off SALE’
- Discover a perfect place for relaxation and rejuvenation at Red Lane Spa®
- Dine beneath the stars at the Bayside Restaurant or enjoy complimentary golfing at the nearby Sandals Regency La Toc Golf Resort & Spa
It doesn't get any better than this perfect escape, designed for couples looking for an intimate and romantic experience
- Recently refurbished, including the addition of a new "toes in the sand" restaurant
- All beverages included, such as Premium Brand Alcohol and Wine by the bottle at dinner
- Water Sports and Scuba Boat Dives with Personalized Instruction
This holiday take time to refresh your body and revitalise your soul with an eight-day excursion to the west coast of...
Take a trip to the southern reaches of Santa Lucia and discover the delights of one of the most sought after resorts...
Sandals Halcyon Beach, located on the immaculate, sun-kissed sands of Choc Bay, is the ideal getaway for those looking...
Let yourself be taken on an unforgettable journey of jazz at the 25th anniversary of the St Lucia Jazz & Arts festival....
Experience the ultimate Caribbean holiday with eight unforgettable days in St. Lucia. This is where Mother Nature brings...
Turn your dream of a Caribbean holiday into a reality and discover one of the most exotic islands in the world. Come...