Caribbean holidays could be put on hold for football fans until World Cup is over
The approaching FIFA World Cup is causing mixed feelings within the travel industry as tourists put Caribbean holidays on hold so they can watch the action from UK pubs, whilst others are booking holiday especially for the sporting event.
As the FIFA World Cup event quickly approaches, many travellers are putting their plans of going away on hold until the big event is over so that they can enjoy the action within their local pubs, living rooms, and outdoors areas on large TV screens.
This time of year is usually particularly popular with tourists going on European and Caribbean holidays but the timing of the sporting event has meant that many tourists have decided to wait until the World Cup is over before they head off into the sun. Because of this there may be a considerable gap in tourists travelling during the event which could be bad news for travel companies, hotels and airlines.
Media Manager of ulookubook.com, Ian Raine, says:
"The problem is, unlike most summers it's really difficult to predict demand this year. If they're unlucky the travel industry could end up with a glut of bookings at either end of the Cup but not much during it. There could be a huge and sudden surge in demand for low cost last minute holidays if England falls at the first hurdle. Or everyone might feel so depressed if England are sent home early that we all stay home. We just don't know."
For many others, the World Cup is the perfect excuse to book package holidays to destinations including Tenerife and Sharm el Sheikh so they can enjoy the live footage in comfort and guaranteed sunshine. Whilst Caribbean holidays are often a firm favourite for UK travellers because of the stunning scenery, tranquil environment, endless watersports activities and luxury accommodation, many tourists are putting these breaks on hold so that they can enjoy a more football enthused environment.
However, many Caribbean hotels and resorts are showing the action live on TV screens in lounges and bars and some are even creating a British Pub atmosphere for their UK guests.
Tenerife is set to see a high number of football enthusiasts over the next few weeks as most of the visitors to the island are usually from the UK or Germany. The island is said to already be gearing itself up for the arrival of sporting fans and nearly all of the bars will be showing the games live on large TV screens.
Sharm el Sheikh in Egypt is reported to be a favourite destination for football lovers during the World Cup. With a range of luxury accommodation as well as close proximity to some of the world's best diving spots, the less enthusiastic football guests will be able to enjoy a range of activities, pampering and shopping while partners and friends soak up the football fever.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Caribbean and Costa Rica Browse all
Dive into the warm water of Varadero beach and relax under the caribbean sunshine
- Book now and benefit from huge savings with the launch of the new Virgin Atlantic to Varadero offer!
- Suites feature a separate living area and Tropical suites feature breathtaking views of the sea
- Golf lovers can play on the nearby Varadero 18 hole golf course
Discover Be Live Collection Punta Cana's pristine white beaches, swaying palms and pulsating Latin vibe
Enjoy a fabulous holiday by the sparkling turquoise beaches of Punta Cana where you'll find endless fun as well as plenty of relaxing options
- Enjoy 24-Hour All-Inclusive Service
- Enjoy unlimited access to a fantastic beach that's perfect for snorkelling
- Great facilities for all the family plus children stay for half the price
Enjoy the exciting nightlife the Melia Marina Varadero Hotel has to offer, whilst relaxing during the day in the beautiful accommodation
- Melia Marina Varadero Hotel is ideally located 300m from the beach in an ecological reserve with a dolphinarium and caves to explore
- Incredible all-inclusive benefits with dining at 9 restaurants at Melia Marina Varadero Hotel
- Excellent watersports facilities including yachting, fishing and diving
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
If you're searching for the perfect combination of beach fun and natural discovery, look no further. Home to ancient...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Fancy a charming and adventurous holiday? Why not try our twin centre package that allows you to explore the contagious...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...