Caribbean holidays could be put on hold for football fans until World Cup is over
The approaching FIFA World Cup is causing mixed feelings within the travel industry as tourists put Caribbean holidays on hold so they can watch the action from UK pubs, whilst others are booking holiday especially for the sporting event.
As the FIFA World Cup event quickly approaches, many travellers are putting their plans of going away on hold until the big event is over so that they can enjoy the action within their local pubs, living rooms, and outdoors areas on large TV screens.
This time of year is usually particularly popular with tourists going on European and Caribbean holidays but the timing of the sporting event has meant that many tourists have decided to wait until the World Cup is over before they head off into the sun. Because of this there may be a considerable gap in tourists travelling during the event which could be bad news for travel companies, hotels and airlines.
Media Manager of ulookubook.com, Ian Raine, says:
"The problem is, unlike most summers it's really difficult to predict demand this year. If they're unlucky the travel industry could end up with a glut of bookings at either end of the Cup but not much during it. There could be a huge and sudden surge in demand for low cost last minute holidays if England falls at the first hurdle. Or everyone might feel so depressed if England are sent home early that we all stay home. We just don't know."
For many others, the World Cup is the perfect excuse to book package holidays to destinations including Tenerife and Sharm el Sheikh so they can enjoy the live footage in comfort and guaranteed sunshine. Whilst Caribbean holidays are often a firm favourite for UK travellers because of the stunning scenery, tranquil environment, endless watersports activities and luxury accommodation, many tourists are putting these breaks on hold so that they can enjoy a more football enthused environment.
However, many Caribbean hotels and resorts are showing the action live on TV screens in lounges and bars and some are even creating a British Pub atmosphere for their UK guests.
Tenerife is set to see a high number of football enthusiasts over the next few weeks as most of the visitors to the island are usually from the UK or Germany. The island is said to already be gearing itself up for the arrival of sporting fans and nearly all of the bars will be showing the games live on large TV screens.
Sharm el Sheikh in Egypt is reported to be a favourite destination for football lovers during the World Cup. With a range of luxury accommodation as well as close proximity to some of the world's best diving spots, the less enthusiastic football guests will be able to enjoy a range of activities, pampering and shopping while partners and friends soak up the football fever.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Caribbean and Costa Rica Browse all
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Exclusive Free Havana city tour, visiting Revolution Square, Malecón and the UNESCO World Heritage Site of Old Havana
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 15th Nov
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
Stay close to all the action in a fabulous resort that's part of a beautiful ecological reserve and sits right next to Xcaret, Cancun's number one theme park.
- This resort is a fantastic choice for an exciting family holiday that you will never forget, why not make it extra special by upgrading to visit the amazing Xcaret Park (extra charges apply)
- Limitless all-inclusive fun and thrills for everyone in a beautiful eco-reserve facing a glorious beach
- Enjoy access to 11 Restaurants and 10 Bars catering to every taste and occasion & access to 7 glorious Swimming Pools including 1 at Royal Level, 1 salt water pool only for adults and 1 children's pool
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
Use up to $2000 resort credit to indulge in spa treatments, golf sessions or a selection of excursions that will make your Cancun holiday truly unforgettable.
- Duran Duran in concert at Moon Palace on 29th December (tickets additional cost)
- Winner of the Trip Advisor 2015 Travellers Choice Award
- Enjoy the impressive $2000 Resort Credit per booking that you can spend on golf, spa treatments, dolphin swims, visit to Chichen Itza, Express Tour of Tulum, Family fun days out at the Wet 'N' Wild Waterpark and much more
- Whether you are looking for an active holiday or a relaxing break, Moon Palace Resort is an ideal destination for travellers of all ages
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Discover the cultural and historical treasures of Havana as you're treated to 5-star service at the Iberostar Parque...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Explore the historic and cultural wonders of Cuba's spellbinding capital as you unwind over an eight-day getaway. Havana...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...