Caribbean holidays could be put on hold for football fans until World Cup is over
The approaching FIFA World Cup is causing mixed feelings within the travel industry as tourists put Caribbean holidays on hold so they can watch the action from UK pubs, whilst others are booking holiday especially for the sporting event.
As the FIFA World Cup event quickly approaches, many travellers are putting their plans of going away on hold until the big event is over so that they can enjoy the action within their local pubs, living rooms, and outdoors areas on large TV screens.
This time of year is usually particularly popular with tourists going on European and Caribbean holidays but the timing of the sporting event has meant that many tourists have decided to wait until the World Cup is over before they head off into the sun. Because of this there may be a considerable gap in tourists travelling during the event which could be bad news for travel companies, hotels and airlines.
Media Manager of ulookubook.com, Ian Raine, says:
"The problem is, unlike most summers it's really difficult to predict demand this year. If they're unlucky the travel industry could end up with a glut of bookings at either end of the Cup but not much during it. There could be a huge and sudden surge in demand for low cost last minute holidays if England falls at the first hurdle. Or everyone might feel so depressed if England are sent home early that we all stay home. We just don't know."
For many others, the World Cup is the perfect excuse to book package holidays to destinations including Tenerife and Sharm el Sheikh so they can enjoy the live footage in comfort and guaranteed sunshine. Whilst Caribbean holidays are often a firm favourite for UK travellers because of the stunning scenery, tranquil environment, endless watersports activities and luxury accommodation, many tourists are putting these breaks on hold so that they can enjoy a more football enthused environment.
However, many Caribbean hotels and resorts are showing the action live on TV screens in lounges and bars and some are even creating a British Pub atmosphere for their UK guests.
Tenerife is set to see a high number of football enthusiasts over the next few weeks as most of the visitors to the island are usually from the UK or Germany. The island is said to already be gearing itself up for the arrival of sporting fans and nearly all of the bars will be showing the games live on large TV screens.
Sharm el Sheikh in Egypt is reported to be a favourite destination for football lovers during the World Cup. With a range of luxury accommodation as well as close proximity to some of the world's best diving spots, the less enthusiastic football guests will be able to enjoy a range of activities, pampering and shopping while partners and friends soak up the football fever.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Caribbean and Costa Rica Browse all
Use up to $2000 resort credit to indulge in spa treatments, golf sessions or a selection of excursions that will make your Cancun holiday truly unforgettable.
- Duran Duran in concert at Moon Palace on 29th December (tickets additional cost)
- Winner of the Trip Advisor 2015 Travellers Choice Award
- Enjoy the impressive $2000 Resort Credit per booking that you can spend on golf, spa treatments, dolphin swims, visit to Chichen Itza, Express Tour of Tulum, Family fun days out at the Wet 'N' Wild Waterpark and much more
- Whether you are looking for an active holiday or a relaxing break, Moon Palace Resort is an ideal destination for travellers of all ages
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
Fall in love with Havana and its captivating heritage before being dazzled by the pristine shores of Varadero
- This package offers little touches to make your holiday extra special including a Welcome cocktail and a bottle of cava on arrival in Havana and Varadero
- You will be staying in luxurious hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly and offer the best of both worlds whether you are looking for adventure or relaxation
- Experience the best of the world famous Varadero Beach where white sand is lapped by the clear waters when staying at Melia Varadero
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
- Blau Varadero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 28th Feb
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Take a holiday to the Caribbean resort of Cancun in Mexico. In the magnificent Moon Palace Cancun you will be perfectly...
Discover the cultural and historical treasures of Havana as you're treated to 5-star service at the Iberostar Parque...
You can enjoy all the aspects of this charming island, as the elegant eco-friendly property is located near all the...
Come to the beautiful island of Barbados and feel the magic of the Caribbean sun. Seven rejuvenating days in the...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...