African Governments advised to follow Kenya Airways model
African governments are being advised by airline officials to stop running airlines and follow Kenya airlines model maintaining some ownership whilst leaving the operations of the business to private operators who are experts in the area.
At an investors' breakfast briefing in Nairobi last week, Chief Executive Officer of one of the leading African airlines, Kenya Airways, Titus Naikuni, said that African governments should stop trying to run airlines and leave the operations to the experts.
"My advice to Tanzania and other African countries is that if they want to have profitable national carriers they should move the airline business from the governments. A government can still have some ownership but let the people who know how to run an airline do it," Naikuni said.
The Kenya government has a 23 percent stake in Kenya Airways but the government is not involved in the running or operations of the airline. The KLM group have a 26 percent stake in the airline but the majority of the shares (61 percent) are owned by public investors across Kenya and Africa.
Kenya Airways provide numerous holidays in Africa to travellers from all over the world. The airline operates flights to Nairobi, Dar es Salaam, Rwanda, Johannesburg, the Seychelles, Ghana, Liberia, Egypt, Sudan, Muscat, Dubai, Honk Kong, Bangkok, Paris, Amsterdam and London.
The recent statement came in light of the struggles of the Air Tanzania Company Limited (ATCL) who are struggling after an unsuccessful partnership with South African Airways. The government have since taken over the operations but things have worsened considerably. The government are looking for private investors but experts have advised them to liquidate the company and start again.
Naikuni has ruled out any possibility of a relationship with the struggling ATCL, despite previously tried efforts. He explained:
"We already have a good relationship with Precision Air through a 49 per cent ownership. Why should we need the second airline in Tanzania? Why don't we look at a relationship between ATCL and Precision Air, for example?"
However, despite this statement, Precision Air said that the airline is not looking to buy any shares in ATCL at present but is open to discussions. Managing Director of Precision Air, Alfonse Kioko, said:
"We tried in the past to acquire some stake in the ATCL when the government was looking for an investor but the response was not positive. So we gave up. We are, however, open to any kind of relationship, not necessarily through buying shares," he said.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays Browse all
Relax and unwind at this stunning resort without having to dig deep in your pocket
- Luxury and comfortable accommodations with a spectacular views of the crystal blue Arabian Gulf
- A fantastic all-inclusive programme with great entertainment options including kids and teen club
- Enjoy the secluded, glorious location on the beautiful, tranquil and pristine Marjan Island
Spend wonderful days exploring India's most iconic landmarks, diving deep into a world of wonder with a wealth of spectacular sights to discover
- Immersive tour that will introduce you to India - Home to the cities of Delhi, Agra and Jaipur, the golden triangle is an area of extraordinary cultural wealth and splendour
- Experience the bustling street life of Delhi, a city like no other, with teeming bazaars and the Great Mosque in Old Delhi
- Visit Jaipur's Hawa Mahal, an icon of Rajashtani architecture and the ethereally beautiful Taj Mahal of Agra
Treat your family to an unforgettable Arabian adventure and make a splash at the world's most extravagant aquatic hotel!
- Exciting marine and entertainment attractions that the whole family can enjoy
- Free Half Board with a huge range of dining options
- Free access to Aquaventure and Lost Chambers
- Experience the culinary gourmet adventure with over 22 world-class restaurants, lounges and bars including the Michelin star restaurant Nobu
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Blau Varadero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Discover the cultural and historical treasures of Havana as you're treated to 5-star service at the Iberostar Parque...
Situated just minutes from the Bugibba promenade, Sunflower hotel enjoys an excellent location in the popular area of...
Located in Deira, within old Dubai, the Hilton Garden Inn Dubai Al Muraqabat offers a prime opportunity to explore the...
Located in the city centre business district, the DoubleTree by Hilton Ras Al Khaimah combines stylish accommodation and...