African Governments advised to follow Kenya Airways model
African governments are being advised by airline officials to stop running airlines and follow Kenya airlines model maintaining some ownership whilst leaving the operations of the business to private operators who are experts in the area.
At an investors' breakfast briefing in Nairobi last week, Chief Executive Officer of one of the leading African airlines, Kenya Airways, Titus Naikuni, said that African governments should stop trying to run airlines and leave the operations to the experts.
"My advice to Tanzania and other African countries is that if they want to have profitable national carriers they should move the airline business from the governments. A government can still have some ownership but let the people who know how to run an airline do it," Naikuni said.
The Kenya government has a 23 percent stake in Kenya Airways but the government is not involved in the running or operations of the airline. The KLM group have a 26 percent stake in the airline but the majority of the shares (61 percent) are owned by public investors across Kenya and Africa.
Kenya Airways provide numerous holidays in Africa to travellers from all over the world. The airline operates flights to Nairobi, Dar es Salaam, Rwanda, Johannesburg, the Seychelles, Ghana, Liberia, Egypt, Sudan, Muscat, Dubai, Honk Kong, Bangkok, Paris, Amsterdam and London.
The recent statement came in light of the struggles of the Air Tanzania Company Limited (ATCL) who are struggling after an unsuccessful partnership with South African Airways. The government have since taken over the operations but things have worsened considerably. The government are looking for private investors but experts have advised them to liquidate the company and start again.
Naikuni has ruled out any possibility of a relationship with the struggling ATCL, despite previously tried efforts. He explained:
"We already have a good relationship with Precision Air through a 49 per cent ownership. Why should we need the second airline in Tanzania? Why don't we look at a relationship between ATCL and Precision Air, for example?"
However, despite this statement, Precision Air said that the airline is not looking to buy any shares in ATCL at present but is open to discussions. Managing Director of Precision Air, Alfonse Kioko, said:
"We tried in the past to acquire some stake in the ATCL when the government was looking for an investor but the response was not positive. So we gave up. We are, however, open to any kind of relationship, not necessarily through buying shares," he said.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays Browse all
Treat your family to an unforgettable Arabian adventure and make a splash at the world's most extravagant aquatic hotel!
- Experience the culinary gourmet adventure with over 22 world-class restaurants, lounges and bars including the Michelin star restaurant Nobu
- Free access to Aquaventure and Lost Chambers
- Free upgrade to half board on selected dates and two children stay free when sharing with parents
Stay close to all the action in a fabulous resort that's part of a beautiful ecological reserve and sits right next to Xcaret, Cancun's number one theme park.
- Exclusive discount to the eco-archaeological Xcaret Park
- Enjoy access to 11 Restaurants and 10 Bars & access to 5 Swimming Pools
- Limitless all-inclusive fun and thrills for everyone in a beautiful eco-reserve facing a glorious beach
While staying at the hotel you will be able to enjoy Unlimited-Luxury sure to make your Dominican Republic holiday one to never forget
- Five swimming pools including an infinity pool, a children’s pool, a salt water pool and two private Preferred Club pools
- Adults at Now Onyx have full access to Breathless Punta Cana next door including a casino, the After Dark nightclub, the relax Spa by Pevonia®, a fitness center and 20 additional dining and bar options
- All ground floor suites are swim up suites offering access to a pool directly from their terrace
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
One of the most sought-after locations in the magical city of Dubai is the artificial island of Jumeirah. Enjoy the...
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Perfectly positioned right at the heart of Marrakesh's chic and trendy Hivernage district, a modern neighbourhood in...
Situated right at the heart of the Port Rashid district, the Hilton Garden Inn Dubai Al Mina sits ideally between the...
Offering superb accommodation with a wide range of facilities, Yas Island Rotana is conveniently located on the...