African Governments advised to follow Kenya Airways model
African governments are being advised by airline officials to stop running airlines and follow Kenya airlines model maintaining some ownership whilst leaving the operations of the business to private operators who are experts in the area.
At an investors' breakfast briefing in Nairobi last week, Chief Executive Officer of one of the leading African airlines, Kenya Airways, Titus Naikuni, said that African governments should stop trying to run airlines and leave the operations to the experts.
"My advice to Tanzania and other African countries is that if they want to have profitable national carriers they should move the airline business from the governments. A government can still have some ownership but let the people who know how to run an airline do it," Naikuni said.
The Kenya government has a 23 percent stake in Kenya Airways but the government is not involved in the running or operations of the airline. The KLM group have a 26 percent stake in the airline but the majority of the shares (61 percent) are owned by public investors across Kenya and Africa.
Kenya Airways provide numerous holidays in Africa to travellers from all over the world. The airline operates flights to Nairobi, Dar es Salaam, Rwanda, Johannesburg, the Seychelles, Ghana, Liberia, Egypt, Sudan, Muscat, Dubai, Honk Kong, Bangkok, Paris, Amsterdam and London.
The recent statement came in light of the struggles of the Air Tanzania Company Limited (ATCL) who are struggling after an unsuccessful partnership with South African Airways. The government have since taken over the operations but things have worsened considerably. The government are looking for private investors but experts have advised them to liquidate the company and start again.
Naikuni has ruled out any possibility of a relationship with the struggling ATCL, despite previously tried efforts. He explained:
"We already have a good relationship with Precision Air through a 49 per cent ownership. Why should we need the second airline in Tanzania? Why don't we look at a relationship between ATCL and Precision Air, for example?"
However, despite this statement, Precision Air said that the airline is not looking to buy any shares in ATCL at present but is open to discussions. Managing Director of Precision Air, Alfonse Kioko, said:
"We tried in the past to acquire some stake in the ATCL when the government was looking for an investor but the response was not positive. So we gave up. We are, however, open to any kind of relationship, not necessarily through buying shares," he said.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays Browse all
A resort where there is something for everyone
- FAMILY PACKAGES for a family of 2 adults & 2 kids below 12
- A fantastic all-inclusive programme with great the entertainment options including kids and teen club
- up to 2 children eat and stay for free
Stay at the luxurious Dreams resort with various benefits
- Enjoy moonlit themed parties, great music shows and outdoor cinema screenings on the beach
- A wide choice of a la carte themed restaurants and chic bars ensure there is something to suit everyone
- The Explorer's Kids Club has a fully supervised children's programme with various different activities
Use up to $2000 resort credit to indulge in spa treatments, golf sessions or a selection of excursions that will make your Cancun holiday truly unforgettable.
- Duran Duran in concert at Moon Palace on 29th December (tickets additional cost)
- Winner of the Trip Advisor 2015 Travellers Choice Award
- Enjoy the impressive $2000 Resort Credit per booking that you can spend on golf, spa treatments, dolphin swims, visit to Chichen Itza, Express Tour of Tulum, Family fun days out at the Wet 'N' Wild Waterpark and much more
- Whether you are looking for an active holiday or a relaxing break, Moon Palace Resort is an ideal destination for travellers of all ages
Do the castaway experience in style and live your Robinson Crusoe dream
- Lose yourself in over 3 km of pristine beaches and aquamarine lagoons
- Beautiful bungalows nestled in the tropical gardens or on the beach, right over the lagoon
- Sample mouth-watering delights at a wide selection of dining options from flavours of the Orient to Mediterranean delights
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Start your holiday at The Melia Habana Hotel, located in the heart of the elegant Miramar district, overlooking the sea....
Take a holiday to the Caribbean resort of Cancun in Mexico. In the magnificent Moon Palace Cancun you will be perfectly...
Situated just minutes from the Bugibba promenade, Sunflower hotel enjoys an excellent location in the popular area of...
A warm welcome awaits you behind the striking geometric façade of Holiday Inn Express Dubai-Jumeirah, 20 minutes by taxi...
This stunning 4 star property, Novotel Abu Dhabi Al Bustan hotel, offers guests an ideal base from which to discover Abu...