African Governments advised to follow Kenya Airways model
African governments are being advised by airline officials to stop running airlines and follow Kenya airlines model maintaining some ownership whilst leaving the operations of the business to private operators who are experts in the area.
At an investors' breakfast briefing in Nairobi last week, Chief Executive Officer of one of the leading African airlines, Kenya Airways, Titus Naikuni, said that African governments should stop trying to run airlines and leave the operations to the experts.
"My advice to Tanzania and other African countries is that if they want to have profitable national carriers they should move the airline business from the governments. A government can still have some ownership but let the people who know how to run an airline do it," Naikuni said.
The Kenya government has a 23 percent stake in Kenya Airways but the government is not involved in the running or operations of the airline. The KLM group have a 26 percent stake in the airline but the majority of the shares (61 percent) are owned by public investors across Kenya and Africa.
Kenya Airways provide numerous holidays in Africa to travellers from all over the world. The airline operates flights to Nairobi, Dar es Salaam, Rwanda, Johannesburg, the Seychelles, Ghana, Liberia, Egypt, Sudan, Muscat, Dubai, Honk Kong, Bangkok, Paris, Amsterdam and London.
The recent statement came in light of the struggles of the Air Tanzania Company Limited (ATCL) who are struggling after an unsuccessful partnership with South African Airways. The government have since taken over the operations but things have worsened considerably. The government are looking for private investors but experts have advised them to liquidate the company and start again.
Naikuni has ruled out any possibility of a relationship with the struggling ATCL, despite previously tried efforts. He explained:
"We already have a good relationship with Precision Air through a 49 per cent ownership. Why should we need the second airline in Tanzania? Why don't we look at a relationship between ATCL and Precision Air, for example?"
However, despite this statement, Precision Air said that the airline is not looking to buy any shares in ATCL at present but is open to discussions. Managing Director of Precision Air, Alfonse Kioko, said:
"We tried in the past to acquire some stake in the ATCL when the government was looking for an investor but the response was not positive. So we gave up. We are, however, open to any kind of relationship, not necessarily through buying shares," he said.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays Browse all
Relax and unwind at this stunning resort without having to dig deep in your pocket.
- A fantastic all-inclusive programme with great the entertainment options including kids and teen club
- Luxury and comfortable accommodations with a spectacular views of the crystal blue Arabian Gulf
- Enjoy the secluded, glorious location on the beautiful, tranquil and pristine Marjan Island
Stay close to all the action in a fabulous resort that's part of a beautiful ecological reserve and sits right next to Xcaret, Cancun's number one theme park.
- Exclusive discount to the eco-archaeological Xcaret Park
- Enjoy access to 11 Restaurants and 10 Bars & access to 5 Swimming Pools
- Limitless all-inclusive fun and thrills for everyone in a beautiful eco-reserve facing a glorious beach
Spend wonderful days exploring India's most iconic landmarks, diving deep into a world of wonder with a wealth of spectacular sights to discover
- Includes entrance fees at all monuments as per the itinerary
- Enjoy a traditional rickshaw ride through Old Delhi, see the majestic Taj Mahal, experience traditional Rajasthani family dinner in vibrant Jaipur and much more
- An English-Speaking local Guide
An eco-tourist's dream - embark on an amazing journey of discovery with the perfect combination of comfort and adventure in tropical Costa Rica.
- Explore the amazing country of Costa Rica and discover all it's gems on this in depth tour with a fabulous beach stay
- During this tour you will experience various unique inclusions including a fantastic stay in tented accommodation under the stars in Arenal
- Enjoy various activities and exploration on this holiday including river rafting and much more with various optional tours to add
One of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the Capri is a legendary property with over...
Soak up the history of Havana as well as the magnificence of Varadero beach on an unforgettable twin centre holiday to...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
The Topaz Hotel is perfect for those who want to explore St Paul's bay and Malta's rugged countryside. Affordable and...
The Gloria Hotel & Apartments is a stunning suite and apartment hotel that is ideally located in the heart of Dubai. It...
Despite having opened its doors to guests in 2008, this boutique hotel has been around for much longer as it once was a...