African Governments advised to follow Kenya Airways model
African governments are being advised by airline officials to stop running airlines and follow Kenya airlines model maintaining some ownership whilst leaving the operations of the business to private operators who are experts in the area.
At an investors' breakfast briefing in Nairobi last week, Chief Executive Officer of one of the leading African airlines, Kenya Airways, Titus Naikuni, said that African governments should stop trying to run airlines and leave the operations to the experts.
"My advice to Tanzania and other African countries is that if they want to have profitable national carriers they should move the airline business from the governments. A government can still have some ownership but let the people who know how to run an airline do it," Naikuni said.
The Kenya government has a 23 percent stake in Kenya Airways but the government is not involved in the running or operations of the airline. The KLM group have a 26 percent stake in the airline but the majority of the shares (61 percent) are owned by public investors across Kenya and Africa.
Kenya Airways provide numerous holidays in Africa to travellers from all over the world. The airline operates flights to Nairobi, Dar es Salaam, Rwanda, Johannesburg, the Seychelles, Ghana, Liberia, Egypt, Sudan, Muscat, Dubai, Honk Kong, Bangkok, Paris, Amsterdam and London.
The recent statement came in light of the struggles of the Air Tanzania Company Limited (ATCL) who are struggling after an unsuccessful partnership with South African Airways. The government have since taken over the operations but things have worsened considerably. The government are looking for private investors but experts have advised them to liquidate the company and start again.
Naikuni has ruled out any possibility of a relationship with the struggling ATCL, despite previously tried efforts. He explained:
"We already have a good relationship with Precision Air through a 49 per cent ownership. Why should we need the second airline in Tanzania? Why don't we look at a relationship between ATCL and Precision Air, for example?"
However, despite this statement, Precision Air said that the airline is not looking to buy any shares in ATCL at present but is open to discussions. Managing Director of Precision Air, Alfonse Kioko, said:
"We tried in the past to acquire some stake in the ATCL when the government was looking for an investor but the response was not positive. So we gave up. We are, however, open to any kind of relationship, not necessarily through buying shares," he said.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 17:30 GMT
Popular Holidays Browse all
Relax and unwind at this stunning resort without having to dig deep in your pocket.
- A fantastic all-inclusive programme with great the entertainment options including kids and teen club
- Luxury and comfortable accommodations with a spectacular views of the crystal blue Arabian Gulf
- Enjoy the secluded, glorious location on the beautiful, tranquil and pristine Marjan Island
Fun and relaxation for all the family - there's something for everyone at Laguna Beach, come and discover it for yourself.
- Romantic boutique hotel at the beautiful Fisherman's Cove
- Winner of TripAdvisor Certificate of Excellence for three years in a row
- Complimentary watersport like glass bottom boat, windsurfing, kayaks, snorkeling and more
An eco-tourist's dream - embark on an amazing journey of discovery with the perfect combination of comfort and adventure in tropical Costa Rica.
- Explore the amazing country of Costa Rica and discover all it's gems on this in depth tour with a fabulous beach stay
- During this tour you will experience various unique inclusions including a fantastic stay in tented accommodation under the stars in Arenal
- Enjoy various activities and exploration on this holiday including river rafting and much more with various optional tours to add
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Uncover the charms of India as you spend eight days touring some of its most important touristic sites. The Golden...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Soak up the history of Havana as well as the magnificence of Varadero beach on an unforgettable twin centre holiday to...
Situated just minutes from the Bugibba promenade, Sunflower hotel enjoys an excellent location in the popular area of...
The 4* Ramada Deira hotel boasts comfortable, modern and grand interiors and facilities, as well as easy access to the...
Located in the city centre business district, the DoubleTree by Hilton Ras Al Khaimah combines stylish accommodation and...