Major National Park Plans will boost Eco Tourism in Barbados
Eco-friendly travellers taking Barbados holidays will be pleased of the recently announced news by the Barbados government that plans for a National Park which will stretch from the north to the east of the Caribbean island, are now a priority.
The Barbados Government has announced plans to develop a National Park on the stunning Caribbean island which will bring an increase in travellers enjoying green holidays and a welcome boost in eco-tourism in Barbados. The proposed new National Park would run from the north to the south of the island, from Archer's Bay in St Lucy, to Consett Bay in St John.
According to the Dr. Denis Lowe, the Minister of the Environment, Water Resources and Drainage, the National Park would strive to ensure that the development activities would use sustainable land management approaches during the process and residents will continue to enjoy a high quality of life with as little disruption as possible. Dr Lowe said:
"Accordingly, communities will be encouraged to boost their livelihoods in a way that is not detrimental to the local ecology, through the employment of a number of policy measures."
The Soil Conservation Unit was put in place by the Barbados government and has been operating for over 50 years in the Scotland District of Barbados. The project has been employing engineering techniques to monitor the soil integrity and stability in the district to enable the successful implementation of the proposed National Park.
The National Park will not only prove to be beneficial to local residents with the growth and development of fishing communities, but also to the island's tourism sector as it will attract an increase in nature loving and eco-friendly travellers to book Barbados holidays.
As well as white sandy pristine beaches, sparkling azure waters, endless water activities, luxury accommodation and an all year round tropical climate, tourists on holidays in Barbados will be able to enjoy nature activities including hiking and observation of wildlife species including flora and fauna of the National Park.
After turbulent times in the Caribbean travel sector over the last 12 months due to the global recession, flight strikes, and volcanic ash cloud chaos, the news of the proposed National Park is welcomed by many.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 19:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Barbados Browse all
Enjoy Barbados at the perfect base on the south coast, stay in Worthing Court Apartment Hotel on beautiful Worthing Beach
- Situated across the road from the stunning Worthing Beach
- Comfortable and equipped units with air conditioning, a daily maid service and a balcony/patio
- Short walk away from shops, restaurants, sporting facilities, supermarkets, bars, night clubs and the beautiful Worthing Beach
Bask in glorious Caribbean sunshine at Ocean Two Resort & Residences and let every ounce of stress melt away as you gaze at the stunning turquoise waters lapping up the sparkling white sands.
- Summer 18 Sale now on with savings of upto 45% and complimentary Breakfast in any Bedroom Suites
- All apartment suites boast large sitting rooms, contemporary kitchens, flat-screen TVs and spectacular ocean views
- Adults Only Rooftop pool with panoramic views of Barbados and the Sea
- Located in St. Lawrence Gap on Dover Beach in Barbados' southern coast where plenty of restaurant, shops and bars are available
Sugar Bay is perfect for travelling solo, enjoying a romantic getaway or special family escape
- Premium All Inclusive hotel with a selection of dining options including a Steakhouse
- Enjoy a Hot Summer now on with savings of upto 40% plus $20 Spa Credit per person
- Ideally located only 15 minutes from the airport and 10 minutes from the capital, Bridgetown
- Enjoy a wide selection of activities including beach volleyball, wind surfing, jet skis, sailing and more
Enjoy Turtle Beach by Elegant Hotels, the all-suite resort thats warm service and superb facilities that complete a fun-filled holiday to beautiful Barbados
- Kids 16 and under stay, play and eat free
- Complimentary daily* rounds of Golf with round trip transportation and clubs are included
- Includes all meals, snacks and drinks as well as non-motorised water sports and Flying Fish Kids Club
- Enjoy five onsite restaurants and bars, or dine-around privileges at other participating Elegant Hotels
You can enjoy all the aspects of this charming island, as the elegant eco-friendly property is located near all the...
Escape to the pristine beaches of the south coast of Barbados for a holiday you will never forget at Coconut Court Beach...
Take a step back from day-to-day life and submerge in the peace and tranquillity that can be found at the fantastic...
Create unforgettable memories at the heart of Barbados' western coast at a collection of one bedroom apartments. Halcyon...
An intimate collection of One Bedroom Apartments located in the heart of the West Coast of Barbados. Travellers Palm...
St Lawrence Gap is famous for its many restaurants, great shopping and lively nightlife. This 1.3 km stretch of road,...