Leading Travel Agents and Officials call on new government to reform Travel Taxes
Travel agents and travel brands are urging the new coalition government to scrap the proposed increase in Air Passenger Duty and instead make changes to the financial protection scheme for the Air Travel Organisers' Licence.
Leading travel agents, tour operators and industry officials spoke at a recent Association of British Travel Agents' (ABTA) conference and urged the new appointed government to scrap the APD rises which are due to be effective from later this year and concentrate their efforts on improving the financial protection scheme for the Air Travel Organisers' Licence (ATOL) which protects consumers.
The new coalition Conservative-Liberal Democrat government announced that they intend to scrap individual Air Passenger Duty and introduce a per-plan tax instead but travel agents and consumers are worried that these plans will not be put in place before the APD increases are due in November this year.
A controversial banding system is currently in place which bases APD on capital cities. For example from November, a family of four enjoying Barbados holidays will pay £600 in APD for premium flights to the Caribbean island, but the APD would be considerably lower if the family were flying to further afield destinations such as Hawaii.
Dermot Blastland, the Managing Director of TUI Travel UK, is urging the government to look at the impact the rising taxes will have on an already fragile market and dismissed reports that APD is a considered a green tax.
"APD doesn't encourage environmentally-sensible behaviour, as there is no incentive to get rid of inefficient aircraft. Travel is a very price-sensitive market, not at all a well-heeled, easy-to-tax area," Blastland said.
With ongoing disruption caused by strikes from British Airways and the volcanic ash cloud recently closing British airspace, the UK travel market is experiencing turbulent times as well as recovering from the aftermath of the global recession.
Chief Executive of ABTA, Mark Tanzer said:
"We face unprecedented upheaval on many levels: customers are less confident than they were before the volcanic ash cloud, we have civil unrest in some of our core destinations, and there are the BA strikes. What we need are fair taxes that don't suppress demand."
Last month ABTA carried out a campaign aimed at urging UK travellers to book their breaks with their travel agents and members to ensure that they are covered in the wake of the volcanic ash crisis.
The campaign's strap line for a series of regional print adverts read: "When it comes to having a great holiday, don't leave anything to chance."
It is hoped that the outcome of this will lead to more travellers booking ATOL protected holidays where consumers can enjoy stress-free breaks during these turbulent times.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Caribbean and Costa Rica Browse all
Dive into the warm water of Varadero beach and relax under the caribbean sunshine
- Enjoy a fantastic tour
- Book now and benefit from huge savings with the launch of the new Virgin Atlantic to Varadero offer!
- Suites feature a separate living area and Tropical suites feature breathtaking views of the sea
- Golf lovers can play on the nearby Varadero 18 hole golf course
Use up to $2000 resort credit to indulge in spa treatments, golf sessions or a selection of excursions that will make your Cancun holiday truly unforgettable.
- Duran Duran in concert at Moon Palace on 29th December (tickets additional cost)
- Winner of the Trip Advisor 2015 Travellers Choice Award
- Enjoy the impressive $2000 Resort Credit per booking that you can spend on golf, spa treatments, dolphin swims, visit to Chichen Itza, Express Tour of Tulum, Family fun days out at the Wet 'N' Wild Waterpark and much more
- Whether you are looking for an active holiday or a relaxing break, Moon Palace Resort is an ideal destination for travellers of all ages
Enjoy a summer holiday of a lifetime staying at two amazing hotels in both Havana and Varadero
- Book now to receive our exclusive Couples offer which includes a bottle of cava on arrival in both hotels, turndown service in the evenings and a guaranteed reservation in the a la carte restaurants in Varadero and much more
- This offer includes a free Historical Havana Tour
- Experience Havana's vintage vibe & Varadero's soft white-sand beaches all in one trip
The unlimited heaven of tranquility in a perfect setting
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Soak up the history of Havana as well as the magnificence of Varadero beach on an unforgettable twin centre holiday to...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
You can enjoy all the aspects of this charming island, as the elegant eco-friendly property is located near all the...
Escape to the pristine beaches of the south coast of Barbados for a holiday you will never forget. This is the perfect...
St Lawrence Gap is famous for its many restaurants, great shopping and lively nightlife. This 1.3 km stretch of road,...