Leading Travel Agents and Officials call on new government to reform Travel Taxes
Travel agents and travel brands are urging the new coalition government to scrap the proposed increase in Air Passenger Duty and instead make changes to the financial protection scheme for the Air Travel Organisers' Licence.
Leading travel agents, tour operators and industry officials spoke at a recent Association of British Travel Agents' (ABTA) conference and urged the new appointed government to scrap the APD rises which are due to be effective from later this year and concentrate their efforts on improving the financial protection scheme for the Air Travel Organisers' Licence (ATOL) which protects consumers.
The new coalition Conservative-Liberal Democrat government announced that they intend to scrap individual Air Passenger Duty and introduce a per-plan tax instead but travel agents and consumers are worried that these plans will not be put in place before the APD increases are due in November this year.
A controversial banding system is currently in place which bases APD on capital cities. For example from November, a family of four enjoying Barbados holidays will pay £600 in APD for premium flights to the Caribbean island, but the APD would be considerably lower if the family were flying to further afield destinations such as Hawaii.
Dermot Blastland, the Managing Director of TUI Travel UK, is urging the government to look at the impact the rising taxes will have on an already fragile market and dismissed reports that APD is a considered a green tax.
"APD doesn't encourage environmentally-sensible behaviour, as there is no incentive to get rid of inefficient aircraft. Travel is a very price-sensitive market, not at all a well-heeled, easy-to-tax area," Blastland said.
With ongoing disruption caused by strikes from British Airways and the volcanic ash cloud recently closing British airspace, the UK travel market is experiencing turbulent times as well as recovering from the aftermath of the global recession.
Chief Executive of ABTA, Mark Tanzer said:
"We face unprecedented upheaval on many levels: customers are less confident than they were before the volcanic ash cloud, we have civil unrest in some of our core destinations, and there are the BA strikes. What we need are fair taxes that don't suppress demand."
Last month ABTA carried out a campaign aimed at urging UK travellers to book their breaks with their travel agents and members to ensure that they are covered in the wake of the volcanic ash crisis.
The campaign's strap line for a series of regional print adverts read: "When it comes to having a great holiday, don't leave anything to chance."
It is hoped that the outcome of this will lead to more travellers booking ATOL protected holidays where consumers can enjoy stress-free breaks during these turbulent times.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Caribbean and Costa Rica Browse all
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
Use up to $2500 resort credit to indulge in spa treatments, golf sessions or a selection of excursions that will make your Cancun holiday truly unforgettable.
- Don't miss out on this incredible offer Kids 17 and under stay, play and eat free
- The Illusionists are appearing at the resort from 22nd December - 3rd Jan & The amazing Backstreet Boys are appearing on the 29th December*
- Awesome resort credits with up to $2500 to spend on spa treatments, dolphin swims, access to the Wet 'N' Wild waterpark and much more
Fall in love with Havana and its captivating heritage before being dazzled by the pristine shores of Varadero
- This package offers little touches to make your holiday extra special including a Welcome cocktail and a bottle of cava on arrival in Havana and Varadero
- You will be staying in luxurious hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly and offer the best of both worlds whether you are looking for adventure or relaxation
- Experience the best of the world famous Varadero Beach where white sand is lapped by the clear waters when staying at Melia Varadero
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Blau Varadero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Take a holiday to the Caribbean resort of Cancun in Mexico. In the magnificent Moon Palace Cancun you will be perfectly...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...
Club Kawama depicts a traditional hacienda type atmosphere, but in actual fact it's an All Inclusive resort. Beautifully...