Increase expected in US travellers taking Sri Lanka holidays as travel restrictions lifted
The number of US travellers taking Sri Lanka holidays looks set to increase in the near future as travel restrictions are lifted on US citizens by Washington, while citing the region has a peaceful atmosphere a year after the end of the civil war.
The US State Department announced last week that it was lifting restrictions on travel to Sri Lanka for US citizens after naming the region as a peaceful place to travel to one year on after the end of the country's civil war. The State Department announced:
"The Travel Warning issued for Sri Lanka on November 19, 2009 has been cancelled, effective May 26, 2010. Department of State has cancelled the Travel Warning for Sri Lanka due to improvements in safety and security conditions throughout the country."
The lifting of the ban is expected to see an increase in the number of US travellers booking Sri Lanka holidays in the near future which will provide the region with a welcomed boost in tourism numbers.
Sri Lanka's Tourism Promotion Bureau has stated that tourism increased significantly within months of the island's 25 year long civil war ending. According to statistics, the number of tourist taking holidays in Sri Lanka rose 47 percent to 38,000 in April 2010 compared to the same period the previous year with an increase in visitors from Western Europe and South Asia.
Sri Lanka's Ambassador to the U.S, Jaliya Wickramasuriya, spoke of the announcement from Washington and said: "We have been working with the State Department for some time to lift this warning, and I am heartened that it has occurred during Minister Peiris' Washington visit."
The US State Department announced concluded: "The Government of Sri Lanka declared victory over the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (LTTE) on May 18, 2009. Since the war's declared end, the LTTE has not mounted any attacks in Colombo or elsewhere in Sri Lanka."
With the New York Times listing Sri Lanka as the number one destination to visit in 2010, the number of travellers from the US booking luxury and adventure Sri Lanka holidays is set to increase as the island offers miles of unspoilt white sandy beaches, lush forests, historical sites, mountainous terrain and a warm climate.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Sri Lanka Browse all
Enjoy a wonderful beachside haven of tranquillity, days of luxury and the chance to see the island's green hills carpeted by lush plantations
- All rooms feature a Balcony or Terrace with spectacular views
- Enjoy the huge selection of activities including Volleyball, Tennis, Squash & more
- Relax at the Ayurveda Wellness & Spa with the best quality services that will make your stay unforgettable
Private tour visiting many great cities such as Sigiriya, Polonnaruwa and Kandy
- English speaking chauffer guide for the Entire Round Tour
- Enjoy the game drive through Minneriya National Park which is a home to sambar deer, leopards and elephants and features the ancient Minneriya Tank
- The Highlights of Sri Lanka Private Tour showcases some of the most interesting cultural and historic sites in the world
The land of endless natural beauty, with ancient sight and cultural treasure, you'll be sure to embark on a holiday of a lifetime
- Unforgettable experience at Yala Safari
- English speaking chauffer guide during the roundtrip
- Transport in a comfortable vehicle
Marvel at the Magnificent Taj Mahal and discover the Forts of Rajasthan then head south to enjoy an all inclusive beach holiday in Sri Lanka
- Enjoy a Horse Carriage & ride while visiting the Taj Mahal & Elephant Ride to Amber Fort*
- Enjoy a Rajasthani Feast in Jaipur
- Complete your stay with an All Inclusive break in Sri Lanka - Staying at the Beachside Haven Tangerine Beach
Sri Lanka has quietly become a leading tourist destination as tourists seek to soak up the sunshine that pours down on...
The Highlights of Sri Lanka Private Tour and Beach showcases some of the most cultural and historic sites in the world,...
Sri Lanka is the land of endless natural beauty, with ancient sight and cultural treasure, you'll be sure to embark on a...
Surrounded by vast paddy fields and exceptional natural beauty, the Kithala Resort is a true tropical haven as one...
Set upon Sri Lanka’s southern coast, the Hibiscus Beach Hotel offers tranquillity and seclusion at an affordable price....