Increase expected in US travellers taking Sri Lanka holidays as travel restrictions lifted
The number of US travellers taking Sri Lanka holidays looks set to increase in the near future as travel restrictions are lifted on US citizens by Washington, while citing the region has a peaceful atmosphere a year after the end of the civil war.
The US State Department announced last week that it was lifting restrictions on travel to Sri Lanka for US citizens after naming the region as a peaceful place to travel to one year on after the end of the country's civil war. The State Department announced:
"The Travel Warning issued for Sri Lanka on November 19, 2009 has been cancelled, effective May 26, 2010. Department of State has cancelled the Travel Warning for Sri Lanka due to improvements in safety and security conditions throughout the country."
The lifting of the ban is expected to see an increase in the number of US travellers booking Sri Lanka holidays in the near future which will provide the region with a welcomed boost in tourism numbers.
Sri Lanka's Tourism Promotion Bureau has stated that tourism increased significantly within months of the island's 25 year long civil war ending. According to statistics, the number of tourist taking holidays in Sri Lanka rose 47 percent to 38,000 in April 2010 compared to the same period the previous year with an increase in visitors from Western Europe and South Asia.
Sri Lanka's Ambassador to the U.S, Jaliya Wickramasuriya, spoke of the announcement from Washington and said: "We have been working with the State Department for some time to lift this warning, and I am heartened that it has occurred during Minister Peiris' Washington visit."
The US State Department announced concluded: "The Government of Sri Lanka declared victory over the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (LTTE) on May 18, 2009. Since the war's declared end, the LTTE has not mounted any attacks in Colombo or elsewhere in Sri Lanka."
With the New York Times listing Sri Lanka as the number one destination to visit in 2010, the number of travellers from the US booking luxury and adventure Sri Lanka holidays is set to increase as the island offers miles of unspoilt white sandy beaches, lush forests, historical sites, mountainous terrain and a warm climate.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Sri Lanka Browse all
Discover the beautiful Sri Lankan nature, located beside a perfect strech beach on the Island's West Coast
- Beautifully located beside a perfect stretch of sandy beach on the island's west coast
- Modern and comfortable rooms with breathtaking sea views
- Choose from the open air terrace offering delicious traditional and international cuisines
Located in Negombo, on the west coast of Sri Lanka, Club Dolphin offers a relaxing and comfortable stay at the heart of one of Asia's most diverse countries.
- Cottages are spread throughout the gardens and have air conditioning, mini fridge and cable TV
- Club Dolphin is set in acres of coconut groves, beside a golden sand beach and backing onto a canal
- The hotel has two pools, one activity pool and a quiet pool, with the main pool winding through the resort
Enjoy the peace and quite with a good choice of amenities and great location to discover the world of Sri Lanka
- Warm atmosphere and chic design make for a comfortable stay
- Tripadvisor Award Winner with a certificate of excellence for 2015
- Enjoy the amazing traditional and international cuisines presented in tempting Ã la carte menus and buffet style
- price includes free Half Board Upgrade
The land of endless natural beauty, with ancient sight and cultural treasure, you'll be sure to embark on a holiday of a lifetime
- Unforgettable experience at Yala Safari
- English speaking chauffer guide during the roundtrip
- Transport in a comfortable vehicle
Sri Lanka has quietly become a leading tourist destination as tourists seek to soak up the sunshine that pours down on...
The Highlights of Sri Lanka Private Tour and Beach showcases some of the most cultural and historic sites in the world,...
A luxurious gem of a five-star hotel, the Heritance Ahungalla is a living piece of astounding architecture that allows...
Surrounded by vast paddy fields and exceptional natural beauty, the Kithala Resort is a true tropical haven as one...
Set upon Sri Lanka’s southern coast, the Hibiscus Beach Hotel offers tranquillity and seclusion at an affordable price....