Increase expected in US travellers taking Sri Lanka holidays as travel restrictions lifted
The number of US travellers taking Sri Lanka holidays looks set to increase in the near future as travel restrictions are lifted on US citizens by Washington, while citing the region has a peaceful atmosphere a year after the end of the civil war.
The US State Department announced last week that it was lifting restrictions on travel to Sri Lanka for US citizens after naming the region as a peaceful place to travel to one year on after the end of the country's civil war. The State Department announced:
"The Travel Warning issued for Sri Lanka on November 19, 2009 has been cancelled, effective May 26, 2010. Department of State has cancelled the Travel Warning for Sri Lanka due to improvements in safety and security conditions throughout the country."
The lifting of the ban is expected to see an increase in the number of US travellers booking Sri Lanka holidays in the near future which will provide the region with a welcomed boost in tourism numbers.
Sri Lanka's Tourism Promotion Bureau has stated that tourism increased significantly within months of the island's 25 year long civil war ending. According to statistics, the number of tourist taking holidays in Sri Lanka rose 47 percent to 38,000 in April 2010 compared to the same period the previous year with an increase in visitors from Western Europe and South Asia.
Sri Lanka's Ambassador to the U.S, Jaliya Wickramasuriya, spoke of the announcement from Washington and said: "We have been working with the State Department for some time to lift this warning, and I am heartened that it has occurred during Minister Peiris' Washington visit."
The US State Department announced concluded: "The Government of Sri Lanka declared victory over the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (LTTE) on May 18, 2009. Since the war's declared end, the LTTE has not mounted any attacks in Colombo or elsewhere in Sri Lanka."
With the New York Times listing Sri Lanka as the number one destination to visit in 2010, the number of travellers from the US booking luxury and adventure Sri Lanka holidays is set to increase as the island offers miles of unspoilt white sandy beaches, lush forests, historical sites, mountainous terrain and a warm climate.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Sri Lanka Browse all
Enjoy the peace and quite with a good choice of amenities and great location to discover the world of Sri Lanka
- Warm atmosphere and chic design make for a comfortable stay
- Tripadvisor Award Winner with a certificate of excellence for 2015
- Price includes free Half Board Upgrade
- Enjoy the amazing traditional and international cuisines presented in tempting a la carte menus and buffet style
Discover local life in a fishing village, explore rainforests, Temples and much more on Sri Lanka's West Coast, and enjoy great value for money
- All rooms include a balcony or terrace with either Partial Sea View or Ocean View
- Enjoy Yoga, Snooker, access to 2 Swimming Pools & much more
- Access to the Sahana Spa and leave your daily stress behind with the magical touch of various spa treatments
Embark on a holiday of a lifetime with this amazing twin centre special offer
- Indulge your senses with the amazing spa treatments at the Avani Kalutara
- Enjoy an authentic Rajasthani meal with a local Indian family in Jaipur
- Buy some amazing souvenirs made by sculptors who claim to be direct descendants of the craftsmen who built the Taj Mahal
Take advantage of this twin destination combination treat
- Enjoy themed nights with flavours from around the world in Sri Lanka
- Discover the wonder of Old and New Delhi with a guided, full day city tour
- Visit the City Palace, an overwhelming complex of exquisite palaces, gardens and courtyards, decorative art and carved doorways
Discover a world of peace and relaxation at the all-inclusive Mermaid Hotel Club in the gorgeous Kalutura Beach, Sri...
The Highlights of Sri Lanka Private Tour and Beach showcases some of the most cultural and historic sites in the world,...
Sri Lanka is the land of endless natural beauty, with ancient sight and cultural treasure, you'll be sure to embark on a...
With the most strikingly beautiful of settings, amongst green coconut groves and facing the golden sands just at the...
Take a trip to Sri Lanka and enjoy the warm hospitality at Avani Bentota. It is a resort located along the popular...
There are few better places from which to enjoy the calming effect of the Indian Ocean breeze than the Sri Lankan town...
Avani Bentota is set in eight acres of lush frangipanis and coconut palms by the golden sands of Bentota. This hotel...