International Tourism Conference to discuss the future of Cuba holidays to be held in Havana
The US-Cuba travel dilemma continues to drive much heated debate across all those interested from both sides. Travel agents and tour operators continue to speculate about the possibility of Cuba holidays for American citizens once the travel ban is lifted
Exploring the opening of Cuba holidays to the American travel and tourism market, the International Convention of Tourist Studies is scheduled to held in Havana, Cuba from 12th -16th July, 2010. Complete information and a registration form will be available in Spanish and English at cietcuba.com for those companies, businesses and organisations interested on Cuba hollidays and wishing to participate
As Cuba holidays are rapidly becoming a prime holiday destination in the Caribbean and a top choice for worldwide tourists who each year decide to take Caribbean holidays. The island registered a record-breaking number of 2.4 million visitors to the island last year. Specialists in the travel and tourism sector from all countries but the US can choose to attend to these seminars and conferences held around the subject of Cuba holidays, their present, their future and the many possibilities. American participation is currently hampered by regulations seeking to forbid Cuban organised academic conferences.
The rules were promulgated in 2004 by the Bush Administration for reasons of domestic politics and have not yet been modified by President Obama. However, according to the Washington Post, the White House had been "expected to further loosen remaining travel restrictions for all Americans" in April 2009.
The Hill newspaper reported more specifically that the original intent was to "allow U.S. citizens to travel to Cuba for cultural, academic and humanitarian purposes", but only unlimited Cuban American family reunion visits were authorized to avoid a battle with Cuban-American Senator Robert Menendez (D, NJ).
If the Administration does not finish the job by permitting all educational travel soon enough, qualified Americans can still legally travel to Cuba for purposes of full time professional research under a general license that does not require application.
The legislation in the US Congress (HR 4645, S 3112) that will finally restore to all Americans the right to legally take Cuba holidays has a reasonable chance of passage this summer.
Recent polls report that 61 to 67% of Americans favor the end of restrictions on Cuba travel and 33 to 38% wish to make the journey themselves.
Estimates are that 500,000 to one million US citizens will go in the first year after the ban is lifted and the numbers will grow substantially and quickly.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Fall in love with Havana and its captivating heritage before being dazzled by the pristine shores of Varadero
- Exclusive Free Havana city tour, visiting Revolution Square, Malecón and the UNESCO World Heritage Site of Old Havana
- You will be staying in luxurious hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly and offer the best of both worlds whether you are looking to adventure or relax
- Experience the best of the world famous Varadero Beach where white sand is lapped by clear water when staying at Melia Varadero
- Enjoy a Welcome cocktail and a bottle of cava on arrival in Havana and Varadero
Indulge in a couples special retreat that includes a Deluxe Havana City Break and Luxury Adults-Only All Inclusive Beach Escape in Varadero
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 15th Dec
- The perfect 5* multi centre - mixing exciting city life with a pampering beach retreat in romantic Cuba
- The luxury adults-only all-suite hotel Paradisus Princesa Del Mar Resort and Spa is situated on the pristine Varadero beach
- Melia Habana is the perfect base for exploring all that Havana has to offer
Discover the relaxing Varadero and sink into sublim tranquillity
- Experience the beauty of Varadero Beach where you can relax and unwind on the tranquil white sandy beaches whilst enjoying the 24-hrs All-inclusive offered at the Luxurious Iberostar Varadero
- Stay in Havana's most highly rated hotel, with an iconic location facing Central Park
- Discover Cuba whilst staying at the 2 Top rated TripAdvisor hotels in Cuba
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Submerge yourself into the interesting culture of Old Havana while you spend 8 days at one of its most centric and...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Explore the historic and cultural wonders of Cuba's spellbinding capital as you unwind over an eight-day getaway. Havana...