U.S. newspaper says a lift to the ban on Cuba holidays for American is highly likely
A recent publication by online American newspaper Politics Daily says that relations between the U.S. and Cuban governments have been slowly and secretly thawing out which could soon mean a lift to the Cuba travel ban imposed on Americans citizens.
The prospect of Cuba holidays for American citizens is apparently looking brighter and nearer each day, or so confirms the US online newspaper Politics Daily in its recent articles titled "Cuba Travel Ban: Is the End in Sight?". In the published articles the newspaper says that relations between Havana and Washington seemed to have regressed in the past year. "But quietly, without fanfare, there's been some tilting toward lifting the travel ban entirely and hints that some substantive talks may be going on between the two countries", the article says.
It seems that as soon as by the end of July when the law currently banning Cuba travel and Cuba holidays for American citizens is reviewed, a majority of votes could make it possible for the law to be erradicated. According to the online newspaper, "little-publicized meetings have taken place in the past few months between high-level officials while working-level talks are continuing on such safe issues as direct-mail service, dealing with hurricanes, fighting drug smuggling and the Gulf oil spill disaster that might spread to the beaches of Cuba's northern coast".
"At the same time, both chambers of Congress are seriously considering bipartisan legislation to end the travel ban and loosen some embargo restrictions. But high hopes on anything having to do with Cuba have often been dashed in past decades, so sponsors of the legislation are not making too much noise", the publication said.
Politics Daily report that in the Senate, Byron L. Dorgan, a North Dakota Democrat who announced he will not run for another term, has been a vigorous champion of the bill and said recently it could pass this year. "The measure (S428), which Dorgan and Republican Sen. Michael Enzi of Wyoming introduced in March 2009, has wide support from a variety of groups like the U.S. Chamber of Commerce, the American Farm Bureau Federation and Human Rights Watch".
The online publication said the tourism industry – hoteliers, cruise lines, tour operators, charter companies and travel agencies interested in investing in the Cuba holidays market -- has long been clamoring for an end to the ban, enacted along with a partial trade embargo in October 1960, after Cuba expropriated American properties on the island. "Known as 'el bloqueo' in Cuba, the ban restricts Americans from doing business in or with Cuba, although thousands make the trip illegally every year by way of Mexico, Canada or the Bahamas" according to Politics Daily.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Enjoy the long list of fun options for all the family or bask on Varadero's pure white sands
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 20th Sep
- Sample a host of activities including snorkelling, kayaking, windsurfing, golf and more.
- Enjoy 24-hour all-inclusive service.
- Located on a gorgeous stretch of Varadero beach.
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
- Blau Vardero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
One of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the Capri is a legendary property with over...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Start your holiday at The Melia Habana Hotel, located in the heart of the elegant Miramar district, overlooking the sea....
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Explore the historic and cultural wonders of Cuba's spellbinding capital as you unwind over an eight-day getaway. Havana...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...