U.S. newspaper says a lift to the ban on Cuba holidays for American is highly likely
A recent publication by online American newspaper Politics Daily says that relations between the U.S. and Cuban governments have been slowly and secretly thawing out which could soon mean a lift to the Cuba travel ban imposed on Americans citizens.
The prospect of Cuba holidays for American citizens is apparently looking brighter and nearer each day, or so confirms the US online newspaper Politics Daily in its recent articles titled "Cuba Travel Ban: Is the End in Sight?". In the published articles the newspaper says that relations between Havana and Washington seemed to have regressed in the past year. "But quietly, without fanfare, there's been some tilting toward lifting the travel ban entirely and hints that some substantive talks may be going on between the two countries", the article says.
It seems that as soon as by the end of July when the law currently banning Cuba travel and Cuba holidays for American citizens is reviewed, a majority of votes could make it possible for the law to be erradicated. According to the online newspaper, "little-publicized meetings have taken place in the past few months between high-level officials while working-level talks are continuing on such safe issues as direct-mail service, dealing with hurricanes, fighting drug smuggling and the Gulf oil spill disaster that might spread to the beaches of Cuba's northern coast".
"At the same time, both chambers of Congress are seriously considering bipartisan legislation to end the travel ban and loosen some embargo restrictions. But high hopes on anything having to do with Cuba have often been dashed in past decades, so sponsors of the legislation are not making too much noise", the publication said.
Politics Daily report that in the Senate, Byron L. Dorgan, a North Dakota Democrat who announced he will not run for another term, has been a vigorous champion of the bill and said recently it could pass this year. "The measure (S428), which Dorgan and Republican Sen. Michael Enzi of Wyoming introduced in March 2009, has wide support from a variety of groups like the U.S. Chamber of Commerce, the American Farm Bureau Federation and Human Rights Watch".
The online publication said the tourism industry – hoteliers, cruise lines, tour operators, charter companies and travel agencies interested in investing in the Cuba holidays market -- has long been clamoring for an end to the ban, enacted along with a partial trade embargo in October 1960, after Cuba expropriated American properties on the island. "Known as 'el bloqueo' in Cuba, the ban restricts Americans from doing business in or with Cuba, although thousands make the trip illegally every year by way of Mexico, Canada or the Bahamas" according to Politics Daily.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Escape to Cuba's sunkissed sands for an amazing price!
- The all-inclusive plan features 1 buffet restaurant, 2 A la carte, 3 snack bars and 3 bars.
- The Location on one of Varadero's best virgin beaches.
- Enjoy varied entertainment, including water sports, beach volleyball, tennis, evening performances and more.
Enjoy a wide range of added values, fun activities or relax and lie under the sun on exclusive private beach area in Varadero
- Never waste a minute of your holiday and enjoy all fun activities from waters sports to golf lessons at Breezes Bella Costa
- Experience Varadero to the fullest with fantastic options for couples, families or singles as there is something to suit everyone
- Memories Miramar Hotel has a fantastic location and is only a 5-minute walk from the nearest beach
Enjoy a summer holiday of a lifetime staying at two amazing hotels in both Havana and Varadero
- Book now to receive our exclusive Couples offer which includes a bottle of cava on arrival in both hotels, turndown service in the evenings and a guaranteed reservation in the a la carte restaurants in Varadero and much more
- This offer includes a free Historical Havana Tour
- Experience Havana's vintage vibe & Varadero's soft white-sand beaches all in one trip
The unlimited heaven of tranquility in a perfect setting
- Well located in the heart of Havana's historic Old town, close to Central Park and minutes away from the National Theatre, the Capitol and Hemingway's favourite bar, the Floridita
- Iberostar Parque Central is a great base to discover all this unique city has to offer
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero such as erobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and much more.
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Discover the cultural and historical treasures of Havana as you're treated to 5-star service at the Iberostar Parque...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Beautifully perched on the panoramic Mensura Hill, surrounded by striking greenery, this blessed and secluded natural...
Pernik Hotel is a comfortable tourist hotel located in a quiet green area near downtown Holguin. This hotel is close to...