U.S. newspaper says a lift to the ban on Cuba holidays for American is highly likely
A recent publication by online American newspaper Politics Daily says that relations between the U.S. and Cuban governments have been slowly and secretly thawing out which could soon mean a lift to the Cuba travel ban imposed on Americans citizens.
The prospect of Cuba holidays for American citizens is apparently looking brighter and nearer each day, or so confirms the US online newspaper Politics Daily in its recent articles titled "Cuba Travel Ban: Is the End in Sight?". In the published articles the newspaper says that relations between Havana and Washington seemed to have regressed in the past year. "But quietly, without fanfare, there's been some tilting toward lifting the travel ban entirely and hints that some substantive talks may be going on between the two countries", the article says.
It seems that as soon as by the end of July when the law currently banning Cuba travel and Cuba holidays for American citizens is reviewed, a majority of votes could make it possible for the law to be erradicated. According to the online newspaper, "little-publicized meetings have taken place in the past few months between high-level officials while working-level talks are continuing on such safe issues as direct-mail service, dealing with hurricanes, fighting drug smuggling and the Gulf oil spill disaster that might spread to the beaches of Cuba's northern coast".
"At the same time, both chambers of Congress are seriously considering bipartisan legislation to end the travel ban and loosen some embargo restrictions. But high hopes on anything having to do with Cuba have often been dashed in past decades, so sponsors of the legislation are not making too much noise", the publication said.
Politics Daily report that in the Senate, Byron L. Dorgan, a North Dakota Democrat who announced he will not run for another term, has been a vigorous champion of the bill and said recently it could pass this year. "The measure (S428), which Dorgan and Republican Sen. Michael Enzi of Wyoming introduced in March 2009, has wide support from a variety of groups like the U.S. Chamber of Commerce, the American Farm Bureau Federation and Human Rights Watch".
The online publication said the tourism industry – hoteliers, cruise lines, tour operators, charter companies and travel agencies interested in investing in the Cuba holidays market -- has long been clamoring for an end to the ban, enacted along with a partial trade embargo in October 1960, after Cuba expropriated American properties on the island. "Known as 'el bloqueo' in Cuba, the ban restricts Americans from doing business in or with Cuba, although thousands make the trip illegally every year by way of Mexico, Canada or the Bahamas" according to Politics Daily.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 19:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Delight in the best Cuba has to offer with this stunning beach and city twin centre holiday
- Add Havana half-day tour from £49pp, taking in Revolution Square, Malecón and the UNESCO World Heritage Site of Old Havana
- Iberostar Tainos is designed in the style of a traditional Caribbean village with two-storey bungalows that comprise spacious and elegant rooms
- Enjoy a historic stay in Havana at the NH Capri Hotel, which opened in 1957 and was initially run by the mafia
A superb combination of great accommodation and exciting activities make this resort one of Cuba's hottest properties
- Previous winner of the Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence, and ranked in the top 5 Hotels in Varadero
- Full range of Spa treatments for a more relaxing break, or a selection of water and land sports to choose from for the more active traveller
- Enjoy a range of tours and excursions
- Couples can benefit from a free bottle of sparkling wine and a romantic dinner for two, plus a 30 min massage per couple
Fall in love with Havana and its captivating heritage before being dazzled by the pristine shores of Varadero
- This package offers little touches to make your holiday extra special including a Welcome cocktail and a bottle of cava on arrival in Havana and Varadero
- You will be staying in luxurious hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly and offer the best of both worlds whether you are looking for adventure or relaxation
- Experience the best of the world famous Varadero Beach where white sand is lapped by the clear waters when staying at Melia Varadero
Soak up the history and culture in Havana before a luxurious stay at one of Varadero's most stunning beachfront resorts
- Rooftop swimming pool and jacuzzi at Parque Central where you can look over the spectacular city of Havana
- Bella Vista sits on Varadero's pristine stretch of beach with 24-Hour all-inclusive services
- Endless range of facilities and activities for the perfect stay in your beachfront paradise
- Discover Havana’s timeless, charismatic and bustling streets with a Havana city tour
One of Havana's most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the NH Capri is a legendary property with over...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Discover the cultural and historical treasures of Havana as you're treated to 5-star service at the Iberostar Parque...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Escape to Cuba on your next holiday and book a stay at the Villa Tortuga Hotel in Varadero. It is an all inclusive hotel...
Club Kawama depicts a traditional hacienda type atmosphere, but in actual fact it's an All Inclusive resort. Beautifully...