U.S. newspaper says a lift to the ban on Cuba holidays for American is highly likely
A recent publication by online American newspaper Politics Daily says that relations between the U.S. and Cuban governments have been slowly and secretly thawing out which could soon mean a lift to the Cuba travel ban imposed on Americans citizens.
The prospect of Cuba holidays for American citizens is apparently looking brighter and nearer each day, or so confirms the US online newspaper Politics Daily in its recent articles titled "Cuba Travel Ban: Is the End in Sight?". In the published articles the newspaper says that relations between Havana and Washington seemed to have regressed in the past year. "But quietly, without fanfare, there's been some tilting toward lifting the travel ban entirely and hints that some substantive talks may be going on between the two countries", the article says.
It seems that as soon as by the end of July when the law currently banning Cuba travel and Cuba holidays for American citizens is reviewed, a majority of votes could make it possible for the law to be erradicated. According to the online newspaper, "little-publicized meetings have taken place in the past few months between high-level officials while working-level talks are continuing on such safe issues as direct-mail service, dealing with hurricanes, fighting drug smuggling and the Gulf oil spill disaster that might spread to the beaches of Cuba's northern coast".
"At the same time, both chambers of Congress are seriously considering bipartisan legislation to end the travel ban and loosen some embargo restrictions. But high hopes on anything having to do with Cuba have often been dashed in past decades, so sponsors of the legislation are not making too much noise", the publication said.
Politics Daily report that in the Senate, Byron L. Dorgan, a North Dakota Democrat who announced he will not run for another term, has been a vigorous champion of the bill and said recently it could pass this year. "The measure (S428), which Dorgan and Republican Sen. Michael Enzi of Wyoming introduced in March 2009, has wide support from a variety of groups like the U.S. Chamber of Commerce, the American Farm Bureau Federation and Human Rights Watch".
The online publication said the tourism industry – hoteliers, cruise lines, tour operators, charter companies and travel agencies interested in investing in the Cuba holidays market -- has long been clamoring for an end to the ban, enacted along with a partial trade embargo in October 1960, after Cuba expropriated American properties on the island. "Known as 'el bloqueo' in Cuba, the ban restricts Americans from doing business in or with Cuba, although thousands make the trip illegally every year by way of Mexico, Canada or the Bahamas" according to Politics Daily.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Escape to Cuba's sunkissed sands and enjoy what Club Amigo Aguas Azules has to offer for an amazing price!
- All inclusive features a buffet restaurant, 2 a la carte restaurants and a choice of 4 bars (Local Sprits, Wine, beer & soft drinks served)
- Fantastic all-inclusive package with unlimited drinks 24/7
- Excellent selection of bars and restaurants Offers 4 restaurants, 3 a la carte and a choice of 4 bars
Combine exploring the iconic and pulsating city of Havana with a relaxing summer retreat to the stunning Varadero beach.
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- The plethora of activities and classes that will cater for every taste.
- A Complimentary shuttle to the iconic city of Havana
- A Luxurious and comfortable stay with 5* amenities
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then move on the shores of Cuba's most famous beach.
- Be swept away by the amazing panoramic views of Havana from Capri's rooftop swimming pool
- Full range of Spa treatments for a more relaxing break at Blau Varadero, or a selection of water and land sports to choose from for the more active traveller
- Enjoy a fantastic Havana City Tour
- Get the honeymoon package with late check out, turn down service, special room upgrade and other services
An unforgettable holiday experience combining the vibrant life of Havana and the relaxing beach at Varadero
- Upgrade to The Royalton Hicacos Diamond Club and benefit from personalized check in, exclusive beach area, room service 24 hours and much more
- Benefit from the multiple swimming pools and a wide variety of non-motorised water sports in Varadero
- Couples can enjoy little 'extras' at Melia Habana Hotel, offering a sparkling wine and chocolates on arrival
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Take a holiday to enjoy the abundant natural beauty of one of Cuba's leading resorts, Varadero. This locale is known for...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Escape to Cuba on your next holiday and book a stay at the Villa Tortuga Hotel in Varadero. It is an all inclusive hotel...