Barbados holidays eyeing the Health Tourism Industry
To counteract the effect of the fluctuating global economic climate and become less dependent seasonal leisure tourism, Barbados is turning its head to health and tourism travel as they plan to start catering for this growing segment in the travel sector.
Barbados has outlined plans to develop its health and wellness tourism sector to help overcome the reliance of the country’s travel industry on the seasonality of Barbados holidays and the vagaries of the global economic climate.
The Barbados Minister of Tourism, Richard Sealy, has said that health and wellness tourism is growing faster than the overall travel and tourism industry, and according the island plans to develop its health and wellness market to appeal to a different kind of Barbados holidays for cosmetic and health-conscious travellers.
A recent study by the Barbados Hotel and Tourism Association (BHTA) found that Barbados needs to do more to capitalise on this profitable niche market. The study reported that as wellness tourism is not seasonal, and that there is year round potential for cosmetic surgery and non-invasive treatments.
While many hotels on Barbados offer spa packages, there is a lack of other well-being facilities that package accommodation and treatment together to attract long-stay visitors. The BHTA report highlighted that Barbados can be a major player in fertility treatments, given the success of the Barbados Fertility Centre (BFC), which in 2005 launched an IVF package.
Ministry of Health Secretary, Senator Irene Sandiford-Garner, said the island could reap the rewards of a global aging population with increasing demands for cosmetic surgery, spas and retirement communities.
The other target market she identified was among the younger population, particularly in the U.S., seeking holidays that offer spa facilities, fitness and addiction treatment. She says that the island’s established tourism infrastructure, with its capacity to support the movement of customers and provide world-class hotel services, is the platform for developing the country’s health and wellness tourism market.
“Our markets offer attractive environments for the delivery of a health tourism product. Our proximity to the North American and European markets, climate and ambient environment, lower labour costs, reliable communications and transport infrastructure, first-class hotel and tourism services, an educated population, and well-trained practitioners in an established health and medical service in both public and private sectors, make Barbados a prime destination for visitors seeking health services.”
A government Task Force on Health and Wellness Travel last year recommended that the government seek technical assistance to undertake a study and development plan; draft a Health and Wellness Tourism Development Incentives Act; establish a wellness council; develop new legislation to address medical tourism; and establish coordinating bodies to manage the six sectors outlined in the Health Tourism Continuum for Development in Barbados of; wellness promotion, complementary and alternative medicine, healthy food alternatives, assisted living, universal access to tourism products and services and conventional medicine.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 18:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Barbados Browse all
Located on the south coast of Barbados with breathtaking ocean views is where Butterfly Beach can be located
- Just 25 minutes to the capital Bridgetown and 10 minutes from the airport
- New Special offer! Discounted Rates plus come check out the upgraded in room facilities!
- Benefit from the self catering service or the fabulous restaurant offering international and Caribbean cuisine
- The Butterfly Beach Hotel is set beside Oistin's Bay with access to two white sand beaches
Stretching along a blessed mile of powdery soft sands, Almond Beach Resort is the perfect place for endless family fun.
- The Kids Club has an outdoor playground and kids-only pool while the Teen Centre for over 13s offers a great variety of fun activities
- Fantastic location 30 minutes to Bridgetown, 5 minutes to Speightstown and 15 minutes to Holetown, there is plenty to explore around the Almond Beach Resort
- Enjoy a Complimentary Island Safari Tour, A fantastic FREE power Boat Trip with a Swim With Turtles and a FREE Half day Island Coach Tour
Enjoy Turtle Beach by Elegant Hotels, the all-suite resort thats warm service and superb facilities that complete a fun-filled holiday to beautiful Barbados
- NEW! From October 2017 Enjoy complimentary daily* rounds of Golf with round trip transportation and clubs are included
- Includes all meals, snacks and drinks as well as non-motorised water sports and Flying Fish Kids Club
- Don't miss out on this incredible offer Kids 16 and under stay, play and eat free
- Enjoy five onsite restaurants and bars, or dine-around privileges at other participating Elegant Hotels
The tranquil spa and relaxation space at Tamarind by Elegant Hotels complements the beauty of the sea and sand as well as the chic contemporary design.
- Incredible savings of up to 50%, extra savings now available in the February sale
- Enjoy complimentary motorised water sports and Kids Club
- Book the Elegance Dine Around Half Board or Full Board Meal Plans and also dine at the Oceanfront Italian Restaurant Daphne's for Dinner.
- Only 20 minutes from the island capital of Bridgetown
Escape to the pristine beaches of the south coast of Barbados for a holiday you will never forget at Coconut Court Beach...
This is the place to be if you're looking for a sun-drenched holiday by the sea. Rostrevor Hotel is one of the most...
Everyone dreams about a holiday with their loved one or family where they can enjoy unlimited sunshine on an idyllic...
You can enjoy all the aspects of this charming island, as the elegant eco-friendly property is located near all the...
Come to the beautiful island of Barbados and feel the magic of the Caribbean sun. Seven rejuvenating days in the...
St Lawrence Gap is famous for its many restaurants, great shopping and lively nightlife. This 1.3 km stretch of road,...