Jamaica holidays' main hotspots completely unaffected by violence in capital
After having received many cancellations from worldwide tourists due to arrive in the country to enjoy Jamaica holidays, the Caribbean island is doing all it can to reassure travellers that except for Kingston, all other beach resorts are completely safe.
Jamaica Tourist Board insists on reassuring holidaymakers that taking Jamaica holidays is still a safe and appealing option in most other tourist areas aside from the troublesome capital of Kingston as they assure tourists that the that the main beach holiday zones remain unaffected by the violence in Kingston.
Director of Tourism John Lynch said: “Travellers to the areas of Jamaica including Montego Bay, Ocho Rios, Port Antonio, Negril and the South Coast are some four hours away from the area of concern. Tourist areas remain safe and normal daily activities continue in the resort areas, and cruise port facilities.”
A number of flights were being diverted to Sangster International Airport in Montego Bay to minimise any safety risks.
“Our primary concern is for the safety of those travelling to Jamaica, so at this time we recommend visitors fly into Montego Bay,” he added.
He went on to add that there had been no violence in the resorts and it does not anticipate any problems or present any danger for Jamaica holidays in these areas. “We hope this situation will be resolved quickly,” he added.
Meanwhile in the capital of Kingston and nearby St Andrew, police have stepped up their presence and the area has been isolated in an attempt to contain the disturbances.
Jamaican police say at least 73 people are now known to have been killed in four days of clashes as police hunted for an alleged drug lord in Kingston.
Most of the dead were young men, some suspected of being armed, while at least three police and soldiers also died, officials said.
It is not known if Christopher “Dudus” Coke, who is wanted by the US, is still in Jamaica.
The search has centred on his Tivoli Gardens stronghold. Police said they had recovered more than 70 bodies and thousands of rounds of ammunition. More than 500 people have been arrested over four days, mostly in Tivoli Gardens where some people loyal to Mr Coke had pledged to support him at any cost.
But despite Jamaica holidays being safe in most other tourist areas, travel to Kingston remains strictly off limits as reports suggest the violence has not ended - sporadic gunfire was heard in the nearby slum of Denham Town.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 19:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Jamaica Browse all
Enjoy the affordable Holiday Inn Resort Montego Bay with a fantastic location
- Two Children, 12 years of age and younger stay and eat free of charge
- Choose thrilling water sports while your kids enjoy the Children's activity centre
- Summer 2018 Sale now extended, save £250 per person
- Enjoy buffet or a la carte meals as part of the All Inclusive concept at five on-site restaurants
Whether it's gliding down waterslides, riding a pirate ship or just relaxing on a lazy river at Pirate's Paradise Waterpark, there's fun for everyone guaranteed!
- July Special offers now in place with savings until 2019
- Unlimited-Fun® All Inclusive Resort with a selection of dining options for all the family
- On-site Waterpark featuring a Pirate ship, a lazy river and two waterslides
Indulge and revel in the lap of luxury at Secrets Wild Orchid Montego Bay with that special someone when you visit Jamaica.
- Have an enjoyable evening with the nightly theme parties & live entertainment
- This adults-only hotel boasts ultimate tranquility and Unlimited All Inclusive
- Enjoy endless daytime activities such snorkelling, sailing, basketball, introductory scuba lessons & more
Discreet luxury at your beck and call under Jamaican sunshine with everything you love, with virtually no limits
Let the most romantic of retreats seduce you and a loved one into a sheer state atof bliss when you stay at Couples Sans Souci.
- Summer Savings with incredible discounts of up to 42% for travel up until 2019
- Includes unlimited premium alcoholic beverages, 24 hour casual to gourmet dining, complimentary airport transfers and more
- Exclusive offsite excursions come included in the package including Dunn's River Falls and Margaritaville
Treat yourself to Jamaican sunshine perfectly paired with all-inclusive delights at Sunscape Splash Montego Bay. Located...
Experience firsthand the enchantment of Jamaica's magical Montego Bay as you enjoy the holiday of a lifetime. The Hilton...
Montego Bay is simply a picture postcard made real. Secrets Wild Orchid sits in one of Jamaica's premier resorts,...
Spoil yourself with a week of sun and sand at one of Jamaica's most beautiful beaches. Your eight days in Rooms On The...
Treat yourself to a week in the island of sun, tropical beauty and reggae music. Your place of retreat will be the place...
Take a sun-kissed break from the stresses of everyday life whilst on a getaway to the Caribbean. Nestled one mile away...