Jamaica holidays' main hotspots completely unaffected by violence in capital
After having received many cancellations from worldwide tourists due to arrive in the country to enjoy Jamaica holidays, the Caribbean island is doing all it can to reassure travellers that except for Kingston, all other beach resorts are completely safe.
Jamaica Tourist Board insists on reassuring holidaymakers that taking Jamaica holidays is still a safe and appealing option in most other tourist areas aside from the troublesome capital of Kingston as they assure tourists that the that the main beach holiday zones remain unaffected by the violence in Kingston.
Director of Tourism John Lynch said: “Travellers to the areas of Jamaica including Montego Bay, Ocho Rios, Port Antonio, Negril and the South Coast are some four hours away from the area of concern. Tourist areas remain safe and normal daily activities continue in the resort areas, and cruise port facilities.”
A number of flights were being diverted to Sangster International Airport in Montego Bay to minimise any safety risks.
“Our primary concern is for the safety of those travelling to Jamaica, so at this time we recommend visitors fly into Montego Bay,” he added.
He went on to add that there had been no violence in the resorts and it does not anticipate any problems or present any danger for Jamaica holidays in these areas. “We hope this situation will be resolved quickly,” he added.
Meanwhile in the capital of Kingston and nearby St Andrew, police have stepped up their presence and the area has been isolated in an attempt to contain the disturbances.
Jamaican police say at least 73 people are now known to have been killed in four days of clashes as police hunted for an alleged drug lord in Kingston.
Most of the dead were young men, some suspected of being armed, while at least three police and soldiers also died, officials said.
It is not known if Christopher “Dudus” Coke, who is wanted by the US, is still in Jamaica.
The search has centred on his Tivoli Gardens stronghold. Police said they had recovered more than 70 bodies and thousands of rounds of ammunition. More than 500 people have been arrested over four days, mostly in Tivoli Gardens where some people loyal to Mr Coke had pledged to support him at any cost.
But despite Jamaica holidays being safe in most other tourist areas, travel to Kingston remains strictly off limits as reports suggest the violence has not ended - sporadic gunfire was heard in the nearby slum of Denham Town.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Jamaica Browse all
Surround yourself in the heart of negril soaking up the sun by day and enjoy the buzzing nightlife
- Activities at the resort includes windsurfing, sailing,water skiing and much more
- Trip Advisor Winners of Excellence
- Rooms with stunning views of the caribbean
Discover Unlimited-Fun® with warm Jamaican hospitality in Montego Bay with a complimentary upgrade and resort coupons
Whether it's gliding down waterslides, riding a pirate ship or just relaxing on a lazy river at Pirate's Paradise Waterpark, there's fun for everyone guaranteed!
- Book and receive an upgrade to the next available room category plus $200 resort coupons per room
- Pirate's Paradise Waterpark on-site featuring a pirate ship and two waterslides
- The Montego Bay Marine Park location offers protected swimming areas and extraordinary snorkelling
Explore the area and enjoy an easy access to all attractions around Falmouth at Mangos Jamaica
- Within 30 minutes by car from Montego Bay International airport and downtown Montego
- Fully equipped fitness centre, watersport activities, tennis court, golf and themed dining evenings to enjoy
- Located on Trelawny Bay and its beautiful beach
Immerse yourself in a vareity of complimentary activities, excursions and spa treatments at Moon Palace Jamaica
- Relish complimentary perks including a bottle of red wine upon arrival, spa treatments, tours, activities and much more
- Don't miss out on this incredible offer Kids 17 and under stay, play and eat free
- Incredible resort credit upto $2500 FREE to be used to swim with dolphins, upgrade your wine, spa treatments and much more!
Holiday Inn Resort offers a magical location on the beachfront nestled amidst luxury tropical gardens. The resort has a...
Treat yourself to Jamaican sunshine perfectly paired with all-inclusive delights. Located on the white sand beaches of...
Experience firsthand the enchantment of Jamaica's magical Montego Bay as you enjoy the holiday of a lifetime. The Hilton...
Treat yourself to a week in the island of sun, tropical beauty and reggae music. Your place of retreat will be the place...
Spoil yourself with a week of sun and sand at one of Jamaica's most beautiful beaches. Your eight days in Rooms On The...
Take a sun-kissed break from the stresses of everyday life whilst on a getaway to the Caribbean. Nestled one mile away...