Jamaica holidays' main hotspots completely unaffected by violence in capital
After having received many cancellations from worldwide tourists due to arrive in the country to enjoy Jamaica holidays, the Caribbean island is doing all it can to reassure travellers that except for Kingston, all other beach resorts are completely safe.
Jamaica Tourist Board insists on reassuring holidaymakers that taking Jamaica holidays is still a safe and appealing option in most other tourist areas aside from the troublesome capital of Kingston as they assure tourists that the that the main beach holiday zones remain unaffected by the violence in Kingston.
Director of Tourism John Lynch said: “Travellers to the areas of Jamaica including Montego Bay, Ocho Rios, Port Antonio, Negril and the South Coast are some four hours away from the area of concern. Tourist areas remain safe and normal daily activities continue in the resort areas, and cruise port facilities.”
A number of flights were being diverted to Sangster International Airport in Montego Bay to minimise any safety risks.
“Our primary concern is for the safety of those travelling to Jamaica, so at this time we recommend visitors fly into Montego Bay,” he added.
He went on to add that there had been no violence in the resorts and it does not anticipate any problems or present any danger for Jamaica holidays in these areas. “We hope this situation will be resolved quickly,” he added.
Meanwhile in the capital of Kingston and nearby St Andrew, police have stepped up their presence and the area has been isolated in an attempt to contain the disturbances.
Jamaican police say at least 73 people are now known to have been killed in four days of clashes as police hunted for an alleged drug lord in Kingston.
Most of the dead were young men, some suspected of being armed, while at least three police and soldiers also died, officials said.
It is not known if Christopher “Dudus” Coke, who is wanted by the US, is still in Jamaica.
The search has centred on his Tivoli Gardens stronghold. Police said they had recovered more than 70 bodies and thousands of rounds of ammunition. More than 500 people have been arrested over four days, mostly in Tivoli Gardens where some people loyal to Mr Coke had pledged to support him at any cost.
But despite Jamaica holidays being safe in most other tourist areas, travel to Kingston remains strictly off limits as reports suggest the violence has not ended - sporadic gunfire was heard in the nearby slum of Denham Town.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 17:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Jamaica Browse all
Surround yourself in the heart of negril soaking up the sun by day and enjoy the buzzing nightlife
- Metro Offer: Book and Save upto £100 per person!
- Activities at the resort includes windsurfing, sailing,water skiing and much more
- Trip Advisor Winners of Excellence
- Rooms with stunning views of the caribbean
With a waterpark, onsite Robert Von Hagge Championship Golf Course and a spa for the ultimate in wellbeing, Hilton Rose Hall offers a dream holiday
- Indulge in a spa treatment or play a round of golf at Cinnamon Hill Golf Course
- Experience great all-inclusive options at 7 fantastic restaurants, bars and grills
- Bask on the 2,500 foot private beach or enjoy Sugar Mill Falls park - The biggest aquatic park in the Caribbean
Luxury and romance at Secrets Wild Orchid Montego Bay
- Catamaran for the exclusive use by Secrets Resorts & Spas guests
- World-class Spa by Pevonia®
- Exclusively situated on Montego Bay’s breathtaking Peninsula, surrounded by the Caribbean Sea
- Huge savings when you upgrade to a Preferred Club room or Preferred Club Junior Suite
Explore the area and enjoy an easy access to all attractions around Falmouth at Mangos Jamaica
- Fully equipped fitness centre, watersport activities, tennis court, golf and themed dining evenings to enjoy
- Within 30 minutes by car from Montego Bay International airport and downtown Montego
- Complimentary Wi-fi throughout the hotel
Enjoy the perfect setting for a romantic honeymoon or tropical wedding at the all inclusive Mangos Jamaica. This adults...
Experience firsthand the enchantment of Jamaica's magical Montego Bay as you enjoy the holiday of a lifetime. The Hilton...
Montego Bay is simply a postcard made real. It is one of Jamaica's premier resorts, covered in fine white sands and...
Spoil yourself with a week of sun and sand at one of Jamaica's most beautiful beaches. Your eight days in Rooms On The...
Nestled upon a stunning beach The Rondel Village Hotel is within close proximity to the entertainment and activities...
Holiday Inn Sunspree Resort Montego Bay offers a magical location on the beachfront nestled amidst luxury tropical...