Jamaica holidays' main hotspots completely unaffected by violence in capital
After having received many cancellations from worldwide tourists due to arrive in the country to enjoy Jamaica holidays, the Caribbean island is doing all it can to reassure travellers that except for Kingston, all other beach resorts are completely safe.
Jamaica Tourist Board insists on reassuring holidaymakers that taking Jamaica holidays is still a safe and appealing option in most other tourist areas aside from the troublesome capital of Kingston as they assure tourists that the that the main beach holiday zones remain unaffected by the violence in Kingston.
Director of Tourism John Lynch said: “Travellers to the areas of Jamaica including Montego Bay, Ocho Rios, Port Antonio, Negril and the South Coast are some four hours away from the area of concern. Tourist areas remain safe and normal daily activities continue in the resort areas, and cruise port facilities.”
A number of flights were being diverted to Sangster International Airport in Montego Bay to minimise any safety risks.
“Our primary concern is for the safety of those travelling to Jamaica, so at this time we recommend visitors fly into Montego Bay,” he added.
He went on to add that there had been no violence in the resorts and it does not anticipate any problems or present any danger for Jamaica holidays in these areas. “We hope this situation will be resolved quickly,” he added.
Meanwhile in the capital of Kingston and nearby St Andrew, police have stepped up their presence and the area has been isolated in an attempt to contain the disturbances.
Jamaican police say at least 73 people are now known to have been killed in four days of clashes as police hunted for an alleged drug lord in Kingston.
Most of the dead were young men, some suspected of being armed, while at least three police and soldiers also died, officials said.
It is not known if Christopher “Dudus” Coke, who is wanted by the US, is still in Jamaica.
The search has centred on his Tivoli Gardens stronghold. Police said they had recovered more than 70 bodies and thousands of rounds of ammunition. More than 500 people have been arrested over four days, mostly in Tivoli Gardens where some people loyal to Mr Coke had pledged to support him at any cost.
But despite Jamaica holidays being safe in most other tourist areas, travel to Kingston remains strictly off limits as reports suggest the violence has not ended - sporadic gunfire was heard in the nearby slum of Denham Town.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 17:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Jamaica Browse all
Surround yourself in the heart of negril soaking up the sun by day and enjoy the buzzing nightlife
- Metro Offer: Book and Save upto £100 per person!
- Activities at the resort includes windsurfing, sailing,water skiing and much more
- Trip Advisor Winners of Excellence
- Rooms with stunning views of the caribbean
Whether it's gliding down waterslides, riding a pirate ship or just relaxing on a lazy river at Pirate's Paradise Waterpark, there's fun for everyone guaranteed!
- The Montego Bay Marine Park location offers protected swimming areas and extraordinary snorkelling
- Summer just got better with upto two kids stay and play for FREE!
- Book now and take advantage of a fantastic room upgrade from a Deluxe Room to a Deluxe Ocean View Room
- Enjoy 24-hour access to food and beverage
Freedom of choice is what it's all about at this adult-only hotel, hedonism ii designed for pure self indulgence of the body, spirit and soul
- 2018 Early Booking Offer: Stay 7 Pay 6, Stay 14 Pay 11!
- Dance the night away at the Famous Club Hurricane Nightclub
- Indulge in the wide selection of food & unlimited drinks including top shelf brands
- Enjoy a vast array of facilities including Kayaking, Water-Skiing, Snorkelling & more
Enjoy free round-trip transfers and complimentary golf at the nearby Negril Hill Golf Course
- Enjoy a holiday of a lifetime with various extras including free round trip transfers and complimentary 18-hole golf at the nearby Negril Hill Golf Course
- Complimentary excursions including a trip to a popular sunset bar or a brillant catamaran cruise
- 24-Hour Gourmet Dining, Premium Alcoholic Beverages & Soft Drinks at a choice of 5 unique restaurants and 4 Bars including a Swim-up bar
- Incredible Savings of up to 50%, book and save up to £800 per person!
Experience firsthand the enchantment of Jamaica's magical Montego Bay as you enjoy the holiday of a lifetime. The Hilton...
Enjoy the perfect setting for a romantic honeymoon or tropical wedding at the all inclusive Mangos Jamaica. This adults...
An exclusive, romantic Jamaican holiday awaits you at the Secrets St. James Montego Bay on a secluded beach with a...
Spoil yourself with a week of sun and sand at one of Jamaica's most beautiful beaches. Your eight days in Rooms On The...
Holiday Inn Sunspree Resort Montego Bay offers a magical location on the beachfront nestled amidst luxury tropical...
Bringing the essence of all things Jamaican to life, the Shaw Park Beach Hotel and Spa is the quintessential Caribbean...