Jamaica holidays' main hotspots completely unaffected by violence in capital
After having received many cancellations from worldwide tourists due to arrive in the country to enjoy Jamaica holidays, the Caribbean island is doing all it can to reassure travellers that except for Kingston, all other beach resorts are completely safe.
Jamaica Tourist Board insists on reassuring holidaymakers that taking Jamaica holidays is still a safe and appealing option in most other tourist areas aside from the troublesome capital of Kingston as they assure tourists that the that the main beach holiday zones remain unaffected by the violence in Kingston.
Director of Tourism John Lynch said: “Travellers to the areas of Jamaica including Montego Bay, Ocho Rios, Port Antonio, Negril and the South Coast are some four hours away from the area of concern. Tourist areas remain safe and normal daily activities continue in the resort areas, and cruise port facilities.”
A number of flights were being diverted to Sangster International Airport in Montego Bay to minimise any safety risks.
“Our primary concern is for the safety of those travelling to Jamaica, so at this time we recommend visitors fly into Montego Bay,” he added.
He went on to add that there had been no violence in the resorts and it does not anticipate any problems or present any danger for Jamaica holidays in these areas. “We hope this situation will be resolved quickly,” he added.
Meanwhile in the capital of Kingston and nearby St Andrew, police have stepped up their presence and the area has been isolated in an attempt to contain the disturbances.
Jamaican police say at least 73 people are now known to have been killed in four days of clashes as police hunted for an alleged drug lord in Kingston.
Most of the dead were young men, some suspected of being armed, while at least three police and soldiers also died, officials said.
It is not known if Christopher “Dudus” Coke, who is wanted by the US, is still in Jamaica.
The search has centred on his Tivoli Gardens stronghold. Police said they had recovered more than 70 bodies and thousands of rounds of ammunition. More than 500 people have been arrested over four days, mostly in Tivoli Gardens where some people loyal to Mr Coke had pledged to support him at any cost.
But despite Jamaica holidays being safe in most other tourist areas, travel to Kingston remains strictly off limits as reports suggest the violence has not ended - sporadic gunfire was heard in the nearby slum of Denham Town.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Jamaica Browse all
Whether it's gliding down waterslides, riding a pirate ship or just relaxing on a lazy river at Pirate's Paradise Waterpark, there's fun for everyone guaranteed!
- The Montego Bay Marine Park location offers protected swimming areas and extraordinary snorkelling
- Summer just got better with upto two kids stay and play for FREE!
- Enjoy 24-hour access to food and beverage
Located within 15 minutes from Sangster's International Airport and 5 minutes from three world-class golf courses
- Enjoy Exclusive April Offers with incredible savings
- A variety of water sports or leave your daily stress behind and relax with the magical spa services
- Luxury accommodations combined with breathtaking ocean views
- A wide selection of restaurants with international gourmet buffet, where you can enjoy a variety of cuisine from breakfast pastries to classic Jamaican fare
Enjoy the priviliges of bygone days at secrets st. james montego bay, an Adults Only Romantic resort with Unlimited-Luxury Privileges
- Relax & Unwind at the Secrets Spa by Pevonia or watch a live show at the open-air theatre
- Indulge in a host of international cuisine, or dine in with 24-hr room service
- Huge savings when you upgrade to a Preferred Club room or Preferred Club Junior Suite
- Enjoy a range of activities including sailing, snorkelling, windsurfing and tennis
Freedom of choice is what it's all about at this adult-only hotel, hedonism ii designed for pure self indulgence of the body, spirit and soul
- 2018 Early Booking Offer: Stay 7 Pay 6, Stay 14 Pay 11!
- Dance the night away at the Famous Club Hurricane Nightclub
- Indulge in the wide selection of food & unlimited drinks including top shelf brands
- Enjoy a vast array of facilities including Kayaking, Water-Skiing, Snorkelling & more
Enjoy the perfect setting for a romantic honeymoon or tropical wedding at the all inclusive Mangos Jamaica. This adults...
Experience firsthand the enchantment of Jamaica's magical Montego Bay as you enjoy the holiday of a lifetime. The Hilton...
Montego Bay is simply a postcard made real. It is one of Jamaica's premier resorts, covered in fine white sands and...
Spoil yourself with a week of sun and sand at one of Jamaica's most beautiful beaches. Your eight days in Rooms On The...
Nestled upon a stunning beach The Rondel Village Hotel is within close proximity to the entertainment and activities...
Holiday Inn Sunspree Resort Montego Bay offers a magical location on the beachfront nestled amidst luxury tropical...