Cuba holidays for the fishing enthusiasts as Marlin Fishing Tournament takes place this week in Havana
The 60th edition of the International Ernest Hemingway Needlefish Tournament has been taking place in Cuba's capital of Havana during this week. As many as 130 competitors from 20 countries have arrived to the island to participate in the competition.
For the delight of many fishing aficionados on Cuba holidays this week, the latest 60th edition of the Ernest Hemingway International Needlefish Tournament is currently taking place in Havana at the Marina Hemingway. With the event being devoted this year to the 50th anniversary of the first and only meeting held between Cuban Revolution leader Fidel Castro and the celebrated US novelist, Ernest Hemingway, a special round of celebratory events and seminars will be taking place alongside the competition.
To kick-start the event a special meeting was held for sports journalists and curious holidaymakers attending the event during their Cuba holidays. To add to the seminars and lectures plans, screenings of images on the life in Cuba of the author of The Old Man and the Sea were shown, and the cancellation of a stamp was done to mark the 60th anniversary of the event, held for the first time on 26th May, 1950 -one of the oldest of its kind in the world.
This annual competition was started by Hemingway himself in 1950 during the time that he lived on the island and much to the joy of many fishing aficionados who take the excuse to enjoy fishy Cuba holidays, it has continued to take place every year since. The long coral reefs off the Cuban coast create rich feeding grounds and virtually untouched habitats, a bounty that attracts migrating populations of marlin, tuna and wahoo.
The event in Havana’s Hemingway Marina this week included the unveiling of a plaque to commemorate the occasion in which Fidel and the Nobel Literature Prize winner coincided in the competition.
One of the most important fishing events of the year, the International Needlefish Tournament always manage to attract a big crowd of onlookers on Cuba holidays as well as professional countries from several countries worldwwide.
For this year’s edition over 130 fishermen from some 20 nations came to attend the fishing event. Countries like the United States, Canada, Russia, Holland, Mexico and France are all participating with France being the last country to have won the Hemingway Cup in last year’s previous competition, making it a 3-time winner of the event.
Fishing started from Tuesday, 25th May and will last until Saturday, 29th May under the modality of Tag & Release, in order to protect the species. The participants will try to obtain the largest amount of points for catching specimens like the Blue Marlin, White Marlin, Sailfish and Spearfish.
The opening of the event was preceded by the presentation of the themes “Circular biodegradable Hooks” in charge of Rob Kramer, president of the International Game Fish Association (IGFA), and “Objectives of the Billfish Foundation”, by its president, Ellen Peel.
The Fishing Tournament is Held annually and convened by the Hemingway International Nautical Club and the Cuban Tourism Ministry, and is one of the island’s main recreational and sports events, also promoting Cuba holidays for the fishing amateurs and professionals.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Expect Luxury, comfort and relaxation!
- Enjoy spa treatments, water and land sports and more for a fun-filled break
- Relish fantastic eating and drinking options 24 hours a day
- Enjoy complimentary perks, including a bottle of sparkling wine, a romantic dinner for two, plus a 30 min massage per couple.
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
Fall in love with Havana and its captivating heritage before being dazzled by the pristine shores of Varadero
- Stunning hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly, offering the best of both worlds for adventure or relaxation
- Stay in a Sea View Room in Havana for all three nights, for an extra £20 per person
- Fly premium-economy class from an extra £199 per person, each way
- Little touches to make your holiday extra special, including a welcome cocktail and a bottle of cava upon arrival in Havana and Varadero
- Experience the world famous Varadero beach, where white sand is lapped by the clear waters when staying at Melia Varadero
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Blau Varadero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Travel to one of Cuba's hidden touristic gems, Varadero, where stretches of secluded beach await you at Blau Varadero....
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Beautifully perched on the panoramic Mensura Hill, surrounded by striking greenery, this blessed and secluded natural...
Explore the many entertaining sites of the famous Varadero beach in Cuba, while enjoying a peaceful 10-day getaway at...
This all-inclusive resort plays host to one of the finest white sandy beaches in the world. The luscious coral reef is...