Cuba holidays for the fishing enthusiasts as Marlin Fishing Tournament takes place this week in Havana
The 60th edition of the International Ernest Hemingway Needlefish Tournament has been taking place in Cuba's capital of Havana during this week. As many as 130 competitors from 20 countries have arrived to the island to participate in the competition.
For the delight of many fishing aficionados on Cuba holidays this week, the latest 60th edition of the Ernest Hemingway International Needlefish Tournament is currently taking place in Havana at the Marina Hemingway. With the event being devoted this year to the 50th anniversary of the first and only meeting held between Cuban Revolution leader Fidel Castro and the celebrated US novelist, Ernest Hemingway, a special round of celebratory events and seminars will be taking place alongside the competition.
To kick-start the event a special meeting was held for sports journalists and curious holidaymakers attending the event during their Cuba holidays. To add to the seminars and lectures plans, screenings of images on the life in Cuba of the author of The Old Man and the Sea were shown, and the cancellation of a stamp was done to mark the 60th anniversary of the event, held for the first time on 26th May, 1950 -one of the oldest of its kind in the world.
This annual competition was started by Hemingway himself in 1950 during the time that he lived on the island and much to the joy of many fishing aficionados who take the excuse to enjoy fishy Cuba holidays, it has continued to take place every year since. The long coral reefs off the Cuban coast create rich feeding grounds and virtually untouched habitats, a bounty that attracts migrating populations of marlin, tuna and wahoo.
The event in Havana’s Hemingway Marina this week included the unveiling of a plaque to commemorate the occasion in which Fidel and the Nobel Literature Prize winner coincided in the competition.
One of the most important fishing events of the year, the International Needlefish Tournament always manage to attract a big crowd of onlookers on Cuba holidays as well as professional countries from several countries worldwwide.
For this year’s edition over 130 fishermen from some 20 nations came to attend the fishing event. Countries like the United States, Canada, Russia, Holland, Mexico and France are all participating with France being the last country to have won the Hemingway Cup in last year’s previous competition, making it a 3-time winner of the event.
Fishing started from Tuesday, 25th May and will last until Saturday, 29th May under the modality of Tag & Release, in order to protect the species. The participants will try to obtain the largest amount of points for catching specimens like the Blue Marlin, White Marlin, Sailfish and Spearfish.
The opening of the event was preceded by the presentation of the themes “Circular biodegradable Hooks” in charge of Rob Kramer, president of the International Game Fish Association (IGFA), and “Objectives of the Billfish Foundation”, by its president, Ellen Peel.
The Fishing Tournament is Held annually and convened by the Hemingway International Nautical Club and the Cuban Tourism Ministry, and is one of the island’s main recreational and sports events, also promoting Cuba holidays for the fishing amateurs and professionals.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 18:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
With great watersports galore, your winter-sun holiday can be one to remember in Cuba
- Try your hand at some adrenaline-pumping water sports including sailing, windsurfing and diving
- If you’re not up for a night on the tiles you can simply chill out at the resort and enjoy the evening’s entertainment
- If you’re a night-owl you won’t be able to resist Varadero’s buzzing nightlife
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
Discover the relaxing Varadero and sink into sublim tranquillity
- Experience the beauty of Varadero Beach where you can relax and unwind on the tranquil white sandy beaches whilst enjoying the 24-hrs All-inclusive offered at the Luxurious Iberostar Varadero
- Stay in Havana's most highly rated hotel, with an iconic location facing Central Park
- Discover Cuba whilst staying at the 2 Top rated TripAdvisor hotels in Cuba
Fall in love with Havana and its captivating heritage before being dazzled by the pristine shores of Varadero
- This package offers little touches to make your holiday extra special including a Welcome cocktail and a bottle of cava on arrival in Havana and Varadero
- You will be staying in luxurious hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly and offer the best of both worlds whether you are looking for adventure or relaxation
- Experience the best of the world famous Varadero Beach where white sand is lapped by the clear waters when staying at Melia Varadero
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Start your holiday at The Melia Habana Hotel, located in the heart of the elegant Miramar district, overlooking the sea....
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
This carefully selected combination of hotels combines a stay in Havana with a stay upon the coast of Varadero. Start...