Cuba holidays for the fishing enthusiasts as Marlin Fishing Tournament takes place this week in Havana
The 60th edition of the International Ernest Hemingway Needlefish Tournament has been taking place in Cuba's capital of Havana during this week. As many as 130 competitors from 20 countries have arrived to the island to participate in the competition.
For the delight of many fishing aficionados on Cuba holidays this week, the latest 60th edition of the Ernest Hemingway International Needlefish Tournament is currently taking place in Havana at the Marina Hemingway. With the event being devoted this year to the 50th anniversary of the first and only meeting held between Cuban Revolution leader Fidel Castro and the celebrated US novelist, Ernest Hemingway, a special round of celebratory events and seminars will be taking place alongside the competition.
To kick-start the event a special meeting was held for sports journalists and curious holidaymakers attending the event during their Cuba holidays. To add to the seminars and lectures plans, screenings of images on the life in Cuba of the author of The Old Man and the Sea were shown, and the cancellation of a stamp was done to mark the 60th anniversary of the event, held for the first time on 26th May, 1950 -one of the oldest of its kind in the world.
This annual competition was started by Hemingway himself in 1950 during the time that he lived on the island and much to the joy of many fishing aficionados who take the excuse to enjoy fishy Cuba holidays, it has continued to take place every year since. The long coral reefs off the Cuban coast create rich feeding grounds and virtually untouched habitats, a bounty that attracts migrating populations of marlin, tuna and wahoo.
The event in Havana’s Hemingway Marina this week included the unveiling of a plaque to commemorate the occasion in which Fidel and the Nobel Literature Prize winner coincided in the competition.
One of the most important fishing events of the year, the International Needlefish Tournament always manage to attract a big crowd of onlookers on Cuba holidays as well as professional countries from several countries worldwwide.
For this year’s edition over 130 fishermen from some 20 nations came to attend the fishing event. Countries like the United States, Canada, Russia, Holland, Mexico and France are all participating with France being the last country to have won the Hemingway Cup in last year’s previous competition, making it a 3-time winner of the event.
Fishing started from Tuesday, 25th May and will last until Saturday, 29th May under the modality of Tag & Release, in order to protect the species. The participants will try to obtain the largest amount of points for catching specimens like the Blue Marlin, White Marlin, Sailfish and Spearfish.
The opening of the event was preceded by the presentation of the themes “Circular biodegradable Hooks” in charge of Rob Kramer, president of the International Game Fish Association (IGFA), and “Objectives of the Billfish Foundation”, by its president, Ellen Peel.
The Fishing Tournament is Held annually and convened by the Hemingway International Nautical Club and the Cuban Tourism Ministry, and is one of the island’s main recreational and sports events, also promoting Cuba holidays for the fishing amateurs and professionals.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Escape to Cuba's sunkissed sands for an amazing price!
- The all-inclusive plan features 1 buffet restaurant, 2 A la carte, 3 snack bars and 3 bars.
- The Location on one of Varadero's best virgin beaches.
- Enjoy varied entertainment, including water sports, beach volleyball, tennis, evening performances and more.
Enjoy the long list of fun options for all the family or bask on Varadero's pure white sands
- Located on a gorgeous stretch of Varadero beach.
- Enjoy 24-hour all-inclusive service.
- Sample a host of activities including snorkelling, kayaking, windsurfing, golf and more.
Escape to the simply stunning warm waters of Varadero beach
- Enjoy an all-inclusive deal offering Italian and Cuban cuisines, 7 bars and a disco.
- Unwind with a massage or in the Jacuzzi and relish the relaxed, adults-only ambience.
- Enjoy a wide range of activities, including watersports, tennis, dance lessons and entertainment.
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Fancy a charming and adventurous holiday? Why not try our twin centre package that allows you to explore the contagious...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...