Cuba holidays for the fishing enthusiasts as Marlin Fishing Tournament takes place this week in Havana
The 60th edition of the International Ernest Hemingway Needlefish Tournament has been taking place in Cuba's capital of Havana during this week. As many as 130 competitors from 20 countries have arrived to the island to participate in the competition.
For the delight of many fishing aficionados on Cuba holidays this week, the latest 60th edition of the Ernest Hemingway International Needlefish Tournament is currently taking place in Havana at the Marina Hemingway. With the event being devoted this year to the 50th anniversary of the first and only meeting held between Cuban Revolution leader Fidel Castro and the celebrated US novelist, Ernest Hemingway, a special round of celebratory events and seminars will be taking place alongside the competition.
To kick-start the event a special meeting was held for sports journalists and curious holidaymakers attending the event during their Cuba holidays. To add to the seminars and lectures plans, screenings of images on the life in Cuba of the author of The Old Man and the Sea were shown, and the cancellation of a stamp was done to mark the 60th anniversary of the event, held for the first time on 26th May, 1950 -one of the oldest of its kind in the world.
This annual competition was started by Hemingway himself in 1950 during the time that he lived on the island and much to the joy of many fishing aficionados who take the excuse to enjoy fishy Cuba holidays, it has continued to take place every year since. The long coral reefs off the Cuban coast create rich feeding grounds and virtually untouched habitats, a bounty that attracts migrating populations of marlin, tuna and wahoo.
The event in Havana’s Hemingway Marina this week included the unveiling of a plaque to commemorate the occasion in which Fidel and the Nobel Literature Prize winner coincided in the competition.
One of the most important fishing events of the year, the International Needlefish Tournament always manage to attract a big crowd of onlookers on Cuba holidays as well as professional countries from several countries worldwwide.
For this year’s edition over 130 fishermen from some 20 nations came to attend the fishing event. Countries like the United States, Canada, Russia, Holland, Mexico and France are all participating with France being the last country to have won the Hemingway Cup in last year’s previous competition, making it a 3-time winner of the event.
Fishing started from Tuesday, 25th May and will last until Saturday, 29th May under the modality of Tag & Release, in order to protect the species. The participants will try to obtain the largest amount of points for catching specimens like the Blue Marlin, White Marlin, Sailfish and Spearfish.
The opening of the event was preceded by the presentation of the themes “Circular biodegradable Hooks” in charge of Rob Kramer, president of the International Game Fish Association (IGFA), and “Objectives of the Billfish Foundation”, by its president, Ellen Peel.
The Fishing Tournament is Held annually and convened by the Hemingway International Nautical Club and the Cuban Tourism Ministry, and is one of the island’s main recreational and sports events, also promoting Cuba holidays for the fishing amateurs and professionals.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Dive into the warm water of Varadero beach and relax under the caribbean sunshine
- Enjoy a fantastic tour
- Book now and benefit from huge savings with the launch of the new Virgin Atlantic to Varadero offer!
- Suites feature a separate living area and Tropical suites feature breathtaking views of the sea
- Golf lovers can play on the nearby Varadero 18 hole golf course
A superb combination of great accommodation and exciting activities make this resort one of Cuba's hottest properties
- Enjoy a complimentary Cultural Presentation
- Previous winner of the Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence, and ranked in the top 5 Hotels in Varadero
- Full range of Spa treatments for a more relaxing break, or a selection of water and land sports to choose from for the more active traveller
- Couples can benefit from a free bottle of sparkling wine and a romantic dinner for two, plus a 30 min massage per couple
The unlimited heaven of tranquility in a perfect setting
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Soak up the history of Havana as well as the magnificence of Varadero beach on an unforgettable twin centre holiday to...
One of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the Capri is a legendary property with over...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
This 1920s colonial house is surrounded by lush vegetation and terrace areas and boasts a stunning array of antiques,...
Look out onto the day to day life of Havana's streets from the Casa Santy's balconies, with its great location and a...