Starwood plans further expansion with more India hotels
Starwood Hotels & Resorts have confirmed ambitious expansion plans in India with the transformation of some of their India hotels to be re-branded under their Luxury Collection to provide exclusive luxury holiday experiences for discerning travellers.
Giving special attention to India holidays and treating them as the most important market after China in Asia Pacific, Starwood Hotels & Resorts have set out a target to double their properties from the current 19 India hotels over the next five years. Starwood is known for its globally popular brands such as Sheraton, Le Meridien and Westin, all of which have a strong presence in the India holidays market.
“India is the fastest growing Asia Pacific market for international visitor spending. With domestic travel rapidly growing, it is now easier to work with the Indian government and the business environment in general has shown significant improvement in the last few years. Our importance to the Indian market might even overtake China in a few years.” - Starwood Hotels & Resorts-Asia Pacific's President, Miguel Ko said when explaining the company’s strong emphasis on the India holidays industry and travel sector.
ITC Hotels, which has used the Sheraton brand for 10 of its properties since 1979, today renewed its 3-decade old contract with Starwood to use its most premium brand, Luxury Collection, at seven of their India hotels. ITC's Luxury Collection will be making its entry into the India luxury holidays market with an exclusive arrangement with ITC to provide exclusive luxury holiday experiences throughout this fascinating holiday destination.
The 7 ITC Sheraton properties to be converted to Luxury Collection are ITC Maurya in Delhi, ITC Maratha and ITC Grand Central in Mumbai, ITC Sonar in Kolkata, ITC Windsor in Bangalore, ITC Kakatiya in Hyderabad and ITC Mughal in Agra. Though Starwood’s contracts with ITC Hotels and others such as Vatika for Westin are franchise-based, the hotelier is looking at “putting equity on the ground”. “That is how serious we are,” Ko said adding to the idea that Starwood was firmly establishing its presence in the market for luxury holidays in India.
While the co-branding franchise arrangement still needs to be vetted by the Foreign Investors Promotion Board, ITC said it would continue to own and manage all the 7 luxury hotel properties while Starwood would be responsible for marketing and distributing the Luxury Collection hotels overseas. Both companies are optimistic that re-branding would occur by the beginning of next month.
Nakul Anand, chief executive officer, ITC Hotels said that the impact of the re-branding on the hotels’ average room rates has to be still worked out with the price increases accordingly adjusting to the new quality of luxury holidays they'de be providing. “Today, the rates are determined by market forces and the fact that demand is far greater than supply. We are still working on the economics of the upgrade,” he explained.
The new contract also includes the re-branding of WelcomHotel New Delhi as a Sheraton, while the Chola and the Park in Chennai and the Rajputana in Jaipur will continue to retain their Sheraton connections.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In India Browse all
Spend wonderful days exploring India's most iconic landmarks, diving deep into a world of wonder with a wealth of spectacular sights to discover
- Includes entrance fees at all monuments as per the itinerary
- Enjoy a traditional rickshaw ride through Old Delhi, see the majestic Taj Mahal, experience traditional Rajasthani family dinner in vibrant Jaipur and much more
- An English-Speaking local Guide
Explore India's famed landmarks and rich culture on an all-encompassing adventure that leaves no stone unturned
- Call now to upgrade to a private tour, including a private car and driver, and personal local guides
- Envisage many world renowned sights including the Taj Mahal with amazing inclusions to experience such as an exclusive Rajasthani Feast
- During the tour you'll be able to enjoy various extras including a bicycle rickshaw ride in Old Delhi, a Chambal River Safari and much more
Go on a holiday of a lifetime visiting many of the must see tourist spots and more secluded parts that will memorable memories
- Experience the amazing "Lowering of the Flag" ceremony
- Experience a traditional Rajasthani family dinner in vibrant Jaipur
- An English-Speaking local Guide
Follow in the footsteps of the characters from The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel Film on This Amazing India Tour
Go on a holiday like no other on this stunning India tour visting various famous sights sure to live long in the memory
- You will visit the famous 'Best Exotic Marigold Hotel', Ravla Khempur was originally a tribal chieftain's palace but now it operates as an equestrian hotel in the village of Khempur
- During this tour you will have the services of an Englsih speaking local guide all transfers will be in air conditioned vehicles
- Take advantage of the various extras include on the tour such as an Elephant ride at Amber Fort, Bicycle Rickshaw in Old Delhi and a fabulous lunch at Castle Kanota
Uncover the charms of India as you spend eight days touring some of its most important touristic sites. The Golden...
Be introduced to the magic of India with the perfect 9 night tour encompassing amazing sights through the cities of...
Enjoy an India adventure with this ten night tour of some of India's most mystical cities and attractions. This is a...
Nazri Resort has a prime location on the edge of the white sandy Baga Beach set in lush greenery and is flanked by the...
Discover the untold treasures of the capital of the Indian state of Kerala with an eight-day excursion to Trivandrum. It...
Ideally located on the shore of the longest beach, The Zuri White Sands, Goa Resort and Casino is perfect for those...