Starwood plans further expansion with more India hotels
Starwood Hotels & Resorts have confirmed ambitious expansion plans in India with the transformation of some of their India hotels to be re-branded under their Luxury Collection to provide exclusive luxury holiday experiences for discerning travellers.
Giving special attention to India holidays and treating them as the most important market after China in Asia Pacific, Starwood Hotels & Resorts have set out a target to double their properties from the current 19 India hotels over the next five years. Starwood is known for its globally popular brands such as Sheraton, Le Meridien and Westin, all of which have a strong presence in the India holidays market.
“India is the fastest growing Asia Pacific market for international visitor spending. With domestic travel rapidly growing, it is now easier to work with the Indian government and the business environment in general has shown significant improvement in the last few years. Our importance to the Indian market might even overtake China in a few years.” - Starwood Hotels & Resorts-Asia Pacific's President, Miguel Ko said when explaining the company’s strong emphasis on the India holidays industry and travel sector.
ITC Hotels, which has used the Sheraton brand for 10 of its properties since 1979, today renewed its 3-decade old contract with Starwood to use its most premium brand, Luxury Collection, at seven of their India hotels. ITC's Luxury Collection will be making its entry into the India luxury holidays market with an exclusive arrangement with ITC to provide exclusive luxury holiday experiences throughout this fascinating holiday destination.
The 7 ITC Sheraton properties to be converted to Luxury Collection are ITC Maurya in Delhi, ITC Maratha and ITC Grand Central in Mumbai, ITC Sonar in Kolkata, ITC Windsor in Bangalore, ITC Kakatiya in Hyderabad and ITC Mughal in Agra. Though Starwood’s contracts with ITC Hotels and others such as Vatika for Westin are franchise-based, the hotelier is looking at “putting equity on the ground”. “That is how serious we are,” Ko said adding to the idea that Starwood was firmly establishing its presence in the market for luxury holidays in India.
While the co-branding franchise arrangement still needs to be vetted by the Foreign Investors Promotion Board, ITC said it would continue to own and manage all the 7 luxury hotel properties while Starwood would be responsible for marketing and distributing the Luxury Collection hotels overseas. Both companies are optimistic that re-branding would occur by the beginning of next month.
Nakul Anand, chief executive officer, ITC Hotels said that the impact of the re-branding on the hotels’ average room rates has to be still worked out with the price increases accordingly adjusting to the new quality of luxury holidays they'de be providing. “Today, the rates are determined by market forces and the fact that demand is far greater than supply. We are still working on the economics of the upgrade,” he explained.
The new contract also includes the re-branding of WelcomHotel New Delhi as a Sheraton, while the Chola and the Park in Chennai and the Rajputana in Jaipur will continue to retain their Sheraton connections.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In India Browse all
Enjoy the highlights of Cochin, Periyar National Park and Alleppey which is on everyones must-visit list for Kerala
Glimpses of Kerala allows you to see the unique geographical features that have made it one of the most sought after tourist destinations in Asia
- Add on private tours from an extra Â£99 per person, Â£300Â off the Âusual price (includes private car, driver and guides)
- Add a 7-night Golden Triangle tour (Delhi, Agra and Jaipur) from Â£499 per person
- Add three nights at the beachfront Samudra hotel in Kovalam, with breakfast, from Â£170 more per person including transfers
- Enjoy various extras on the tour including Half day sightseeing of Cochin, Kathakali dance performance, boat ride on Lake Periya and Guided walk through a Spice plantation
- The Houseboat offers a floating holiday on the backwaters highway with Rainbow Cruises and is perhaps the most enchanting holiday experience in the world
- English speaking guide will be available throughout your once in a life-time trip
A magical journey on the fastest train in India - A truly once-in-a-lifetime experience to see the Golden Triangle
Travel through the heart of this wonderful country unearthing many hidden gems and witnessing many of India's most famous landmarks and monuments
- Enjoy various excursions along the way such as a rickshaw ride in Old Delhi, Jeep ride ascending Amber Fort and a Rajasthani feast with a local family, all included
- Journey on the fastest train in India, the country's very own 'Bullet Train' that was launched in April 2016
- Travel between New Delhi, Agra and Jaipur, with English speaking local guides for sightseeing and excursion tours
Marvel at the Magnificent Taj Mahal and discover the Forts of Rajasthan then head south to enjoy an all inclusive beach holiday in Sri Lanka
- Enjoy a Horse Carriage & ride while visiting the Taj Mahal & Elephant Ride to Amber Fort*
- Enjoy a Rajasthani Feast in Jaipur
- Complete your stay with an All Inclusive break in Sri Lanka - Staying at the Beachside Haven Tangerine Beach
Relax and make the most of your holiday with the 11 nights Superior Golden Triangle and Superior Shimla Highlights
- All transfers, excursions and sightseeing tours will be by air-conditioned
- Services of an English-Speaking local Guide shall be provided for the sightseeing & excursion tours as per the itinerary
- Entrance fees at all monuments (one time only) as per the itinerary
Uncover the charms of India as you spend eight days touring some of its most important touristic sites. The Golden...
Be introduced to the magic of India with the perfect 9 night tour encompassing amazing sights through the cities of...
Travelling by train, the ever-changing scenery will slowly unfold as you move from city to city on this exciting...
Nazri Resort has a prime location on the edge of the white sandy Baga Beach set in lush greenery and is flanked by the...
Discover the untold treasures of the capital of the Indian state of Kerala with an eight-day excursion to Trivandrum. It...
India can make a strong claim to be the most exciting and rewarding travel destination in the world. From the...