Best Western plans to make a move on the Cuba holiday market as "the hottest Caribbean holiday destination"
Thinking ahead and getting ready for when the U.S embargo on Cuba is finally lifted, Best Western is already eyeing the profitable travel market of Cuba holidays with the intention of investing in Cuba's tourism sector as soon as made possible.
Encouraged by the fact that Cuba holidays seem to be at their best momentum, enjoying a massive success with a whopping number of more than 2.4 million tourists who visited the island in 2009, up 3.3 % from 2008’s record, the American giant hotelier Best Western has set its eye on investing in the island's blooming holiday market once (and if) the American embargo is lifted.
Already speculating about the many possibilites free Cuba travel could pose for the American travel market, Best Western is keenly awaiting for change. Public opinion polls in the U.S. indicated that two-thirds of travellers, including 55 % of Cuban-Americans favour an end to all restrictions on travel to Cuba and visiting the island for leisure purposes and Cuba holidays.
The Travel Restriction Reform and Export Enhancement Act, currently prohibits the U.S. president from regulating travel to and from Cuba and liberalise agricultural trade. The ending of such tight restrictions and measures could be brought to a vote in the House of Representatives as early as July 2010, and many travel companies across the pond are watching expectantly. If the bill were to pass the House, it will be attached to a Senate appropriations bill and, if approved, would go to President Obama, who already has said he would sign it into law. This would open travel to Cuba for all U.S. citizens from as soon as 2011, and the island already expects a massive invasion of Americans going on Cuba holidays as soon as this happens.
Speaking about the future of U.S relations with other countries a statement read “There’s a growing sense in the business community that if we’re going to trade with North Korea, Vietnam, Russia and some countries in the Middle East, why aren’t we trading with Cuba?” said Thomas J. Donahue, president of the U.S. Chamber of Commerce (back in 2001) “People are asking fundamental questions about a policy that’s clearly illogical”.
A report entitled, “Cuba at the Crossroads: The Role of the U.S. Hospitality Industry in Cuba Tourism Initiatives” published by Cornell University Research back in 2007 stated:
“The process of rapprochement can only start with the lifting of the U.S. embargo on Cuba. To that end, we encourage U.S. hospitality business interests of all types to urge the executive branch and Congress to eliminate the embargo, which has arguably outlived its original purpose…
"We see a historic opportunity for profitable investment in a “new Cuba”… we contend that now is the time to advance prescriptive, forward-thinking insight designed to shift the thinking of the U.S. business community about Cuba and, in so doing, shift the thinking of the Cuban government, businesses, and people about their neighbours to the worth.”
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 17:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
A superb combination of great accommodation and exciting activities make this resort one of Cuba's hottest properties
- Previous winner of the Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence, and ranked in the top 5 Hotels in Varadero
- Full range of Spa treatments for a more relaxing break, or a selection of water and land sports to choose from for the more active traveller
- Couples can benefit from a free bottle of sparkling wine and a romantic dinner for two, plus a 30 min massage per couple
With great watersports galore, your winter-sun holiday can be one to remember in Cuba
- Try your hand at some adrenaline-pumping water sports including sailing, windsurfing and diving
- If you’re not up for a night on the tiles you can simply chill out at the resort and enjoy the evening’s entertainment
- If you’re a night-owl you won’t be able to resist Varadero’s buzzing nightlife
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Exclusive Free Havana city tour, visiting Revolution Square, Malecón and the UNESCO World Heritage Site of Old Havana
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 15th Nov
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
Combine exploring the iconic and pulsating city of Havana with a relaxing retreat to the stunning Varadero beach
- A Luxurious and comfortable stay with 5* amenities
- A Complimentary shuttle to the iconic city of Havana
- The plethora of activities and classes that will cater for every taste
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...