World class facilities for disabled travellers on Barbados holidays
The Barbados Council for the Disabled has been praised for their ongoing efforts to provide comfortable and hassle-free Barbados holidays for people with disabilities, thanks to their Fully Accessible Barbados (FAB) programme.
Catering for the market of disabled travellers, the Barbados Council for the Disabled has stepped up to offer those with disabilities great Barbados holidays during which they are well looked after. During the recent 11th Annual Caribbean Conference on Sustainable Tourism Development (STC-11) theBarbados Deputy Leader of the Senate, Kerry-Ann Ifill said that the Barbados Council for the Disabled has created a unique world-class product, especially crafted for the disabled to enjoy great and accessible Barbados holidays. According to Ifill the Council is "keeping the right balance" through its great and innovative programme - Fully Accessible Barbados (FAB).
Ifill added that FAB was a new wave in the Caribbean holidays world and that this Barbados programme was setting a fine example for other Caribbean holiday destinations to follow. "It's quite a small wave currently - more of a ripple in the distance - but it's set to become a veritable tsunami. Its pioneers are those who believe hotels, restaurants and places of interest should welcome all guests equally, regardless of any disability they might have."
While praising and congratulating the newly renovated Harrisons Cave for signing onto the programme, she expressed how many more Barbados hotels should follow suit and look into upgrading their accessibility facilities to comply with the programme and become a disability-friendly hotel catering to this sensitive segment of the Barbados holidays market. She also added that FAB was intended not only to help but also to award public and private sector initiatives that had made their facilities and services accessible for all. Ms. Ifill also highlighted that the programme was also designed to promote Barbados holidays as an ideal Caribbean destination with the country being an inclusive society, and it helped raise the awareness of the local business community to the benefits of receiving an access award. Furthermore, the programme also aims to raise the standard of service delivery by incorporating a "universal design".
In the Senator's own words - "ultimately, accessible tourism in Barbados and the Caribbean is an issue of equity, economics, and citizenship. Quite simply, if countries and service providers are not preparing for the inevitable ageing of the population and the increasing expectations of people with disabilities, they are not acting in a socially-sustainable manner".
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 18:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Barbados Browse all
Located on the south coast of Barbados with breathtaking ocean views is where Butterfly Beach can be located
- Walking distance to Oistins Bay where the popular Oistins Fish Fry is held every Friday night
- Tradtional Bajan Style hotel that is walking distance from shops, bars and St Lawrence Gap
- Award winning family hotel with many repeat guests over the years
- June Sale now on with savings of upto 20% for travel up until 2019
Be perfectly positioned just a heartbeat away from all the action in Bridgetown and The Gap at Coconut Court Beach Hotel
- The family run hotel prides itself on the exceptionally friendly welcome staff extend to all guests
- FREE transfers, FREE Bottle of Pirate Punch on arrival, A FREE bottle of Sparkling Wine for Honeymooners and FREE transfers to Bridgetown for shopping
- Free room upgrade to next available room
- Savings of upto 45% now available plus up to two children stay and play FREE
Bask in glorious Caribbean sunshine at Ocean Two Resort & Residences and let every ounce of stress melt away as you gaze at the stunning turquoise waters lapping up the sparkling white sands.
- Summer 18 Sale now on with savings of upto 45% and complimentary Breakfast in any Bedroom Suites
- All apartment suites boast large sitting rooms, contemporary kitchens, flat-screen TVs and spectacular ocean views
- Adults Only Rooftop pool with panoramic views of Barbados and the Sea
- Located in St. Lawrence Gap on Dover Beach in Barbados' southern coast where plenty of restaurant, shops and bars are available
Enjoy Turtle Beach by Elegant Hotels, the all-suite resort thats warm service and superb facilities that complete a fun-filled holiday to beautiful Barbados
- Kids 16 and under stay, play and eat free
- Complimentary daily* rounds of Golf with round trip transportation and clubs are included
- Includes all meals, snacks and drinks as well as non-motorised water sports and Flying Fish Kids Club
- Enjoy five onsite restaurants and bars, or dine-around privileges at other participating Elegant Hotels
You can enjoy all the aspects of this charming island, as the elegant eco-friendly property is located near all the...
Escape to the pristine beaches of the south coast of Barbados for a holiday you will never forget at Coconut Court Beach...
Take a step back from day-to-day life and submerge in the peace and tranquillity that can be found at the fantastic...
Create unforgettable memories at the heart of Barbados' western coast at a collection of one bedroom apartments. Halcyon...
An intimate collection of One Bedroom Apartments located in the heart of the West Coast of Barbados. Travellers Palm...
St Lawrence Gap is famous for its many restaurants, great shopping and lively nightlife. This 1.3 km stretch of road,...