New ecological attraction for Cuba holidays at Cayo Ratones Floristic Reserve
Soon naturalists on Cuba holidays will have a brand new eco-wonder to explore as the Cayo Ratones Natural Preserve is contemplating the idea of welcoming visitors on guided tours with a new project and environmental plan to leave the area intact.
A new place in Cuba has been under careful exploration with the perspective of converting it into a new eco-friendly tourist destination for Cuba holidays in this virtually uninhabited regoion. The potential for the future development of environmental education, the preservation of species and ecological tourism, has been under recent scrutiny and careful investigation to guarantee the creation and gradual application of a protection and conservation project in Cayo Ratones as part of the Managed Floristic Reserve category and add it to the list of the island’s rich eco-reserves and natural assets as one more attraction for eco travelleres to visit during Cuba holidays.
This breathtaking protected area, located among the slate heights of the San Juan y Martinez municipality sprawls across no less than 431,3 lush hectares, enchanting visitors with the richness and variety of colourful vegetation. And according to Master in Science Leo Chile, secretary of the Science and Technique Forum in the territory and manager of the Reserve, the file is being updated and a new management plan has been approved with the participation of the Ministry of Science, Technology and the Environment (CITMA), the Forest Ranger Department, the Forestry Unit of the territory and the Integral Forest Company of Pinar del Rio; all working together to make the possibility of Cuba holidays in this region a reality while preserving the ecosystem and cause as little disturbance to the environment as possible.
This magnificent natural spot amazes for its incredibly bouyant vegetation of pine grove forests, galleries, flat-topped hillocks and xeromorpha. Being home to no less than 374 species, 101 of them endemic of the region, and 11 in different categories of threat, it will be an enormous task to create new tours and special walks for visitors to enjoy during Cuba holidays without damaging the surroundings and not causing any disturbance to the endangered wildlife species that inhabit the area.
Among the endangered species is the metaxia rostrata fern that in 1999 constituted a new report for Cuba and the marathrum cubanum, a species typical of rainfall currents and one of the two unique species of the Podostemaceae family, the manager explained.
Animal lovers and bird watchers taking the opportunity to visit this reserve while on Cuba holidays will be treated to a range of species to see along the way. As part of the fauna to be spotted, many lucky visitors will get to see the elusive (Cuban Trogon) Cuba’s multicoloured national bird, the cartacuba (Cuban Tody), the humming bird, the negrito, the maja de Santamaria (Cuban Boa), varied species of lizards and jutias conga.
From the hydrographical point of view the area also includes a significant pluvial network, since the Ratones stream is the main tributary of San Juan river, and also has two rainfalls and several springs that keep a permanent water current.
While back in 1999 a wild fire damaged part of the area, it recovered very soon and now it seems it will be soon ready to be shown to tourists enjoying Cuba holidays close to this region.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
With great watersports galore, your winter-sun holiday can be one to remember in Cuba
- Try your hand at some adrenaline-pumping water sports including sailing, windsurfing and diving
- If you’re not up for a night on the tiles you can simply chill out at the resort and enjoy the evening’s entertainment
- If you’re a night-owl you won’t be able to resist Varadero’s buzzing nightlife
Discover the relaxing Varadero and sink into sublim tranquillity
- Experience the beauty of Varadero Beach where you can relax and unwind on the tranquil white sandy beaches whilst enjoying the 24-hrs All-inclusive offered at the Luxurious Iberostar Varadero
- Stay in Havana's most highly rated hotel, with an iconic location facing Central Park
- Discover Cuba whilst staying at the 2 Top rated TripAdvisor hotels in Cuba
Fall in love with Havana and its captivating heritage before being dazzled by the pristine shores of Varadero
- This package offers little touches to make your holiday extra special including a Welcome cocktail and a bottle of cava on arrival in Havana and Varadero
- You will be staying in luxurious hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly and offer the best of both worlds whether you are looking for adventure or relaxation
- Experience the best of the world famous Varadero Beach where white sand is lapped by the clear waters when staying at Melia Varadero
Combine exploring the iconic and pulsating city of Havana with a relaxing retreat to the stunning Varadero beach
- A Luxurious and comfortable stay with 5* amenities
- A Complimentary shuttle to the iconic city of Havana
- The plethora of activities and classes that will cater for every taste
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Start your holiday at The Melia Habana Hotel, located in the heart of the elegant Miramar district, overlooking the sea....
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...