New ecological attraction for Cuba holidays at Cayo Ratones Floristic Reserve
Soon naturalists on Cuba holidays will have a brand new eco-wonder to explore as the Cayo Ratones Natural Preserve is contemplating the idea of welcoming visitors on guided tours with a new project and environmental plan to leave the area intact.
A new place in Cuba has been under careful exploration with the perspective of converting it into a new eco-friendly tourist destination for Cuba holidays in this virtually uninhabited regoion. The potential for the future development of environmental education, the preservation of species and ecological tourism, has been under recent scrutiny and careful investigation to guarantee the creation and gradual application of a protection and conservation project in Cayo Ratones as part of the Managed Floristic Reserve category and add it to the list of the island’s rich eco-reserves and natural assets as one more attraction for eco travelleres to visit during Cuba holidays.
This breathtaking protected area, located among the slate heights of the San Juan y Martinez municipality sprawls across no less than 431,3 lush hectares, enchanting visitors with the richness and variety of colourful vegetation. And according to Master in Science Leo Chile, secretary of the Science and Technique Forum in the territory and manager of the Reserve, the file is being updated and a new management plan has been approved with the participation of the Ministry of Science, Technology and the Environment (CITMA), the Forest Ranger Department, the Forestry Unit of the territory and the Integral Forest Company of Pinar del Rio; all working together to make the possibility of Cuba holidays in this region a reality while preserving the ecosystem and cause as little disturbance to the environment as possible.
This magnificent natural spot amazes for its incredibly bouyant vegetation of pine grove forests, galleries, flat-topped hillocks and xeromorpha. Being home to no less than 374 species, 101 of them endemic of the region, and 11 in different categories of threat, it will be an enormous task to create new tours and special walks for visitors to enjoy during Cuba holidays without damaging the surroundings and not causing any disturbance to the endangered wildlife species that inhabit the area.
Among the endangered species is the metaxia rostrata fern that in 1999 constituted a new report for Cuba and the marathrum cubanum, a species typical of rainfall currents and one of the two unique species of the Podostemaceae family, the manager explained.
Animal lovers and bird watchers taking the opportunity to visit this reserve while on Cuba holidays will be treated to a range of species to see along the way. As part of the fauna to be spotted, many lucky visitors will get to see the elusive (Cuban Trogon) Cuba’s multicoloured national bird, the cartacuba (Cuban Tody), the humming bird, the negrito, the maja de Santamaria (Cuban Boa), varied species of lizards and jutias conga.
From the hydrographical point of view the area also includes a significant pluvial network, since the Ratones stream is the main tributary of San Juan river, and also has two rainfalls and several springs that keep a permanent water current.
While back in 1999 a wild fire damaged part of the area, it recovered very soon and now it seems it will be soon ready to be shown to tourists enjoying Cuba holidays close to this region.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Fall in love with Havana and its captivating heritage before being dazzled by the pristine shores of Varadero
- You will be staying in luxurious hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly and offer the best of both worlds whether you are looking to adventure or relax
- Experience the best of the world famous Varadero Beach where white sand is lapped by clear water when staying at Melia Varadero
- Enjoy a Welcome cocktail and a bottle of cava on arrival in Havana and Varadero
The unlimited heaven of tranquillity in a perfect setting
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
One of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the Capri is a legendary property with over...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Start your holiday at The Melia Habana Hotel, located in the heart of the elegant Miramar district, overlooking the sea....
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Explore the historic and cultural wonders of Cuba's spellbinding capital as you unwind over an eight-day getaway. Havana...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...