For future sustainability Caribbean holidays need renewable energy support from world leaders
Carlisle Powell, Nevis' Minister of Natural Resources and Public Utilities recently made a speech about the need for world leaders to engage in further cooperation with small Caribbean countries in order to adapt more sustainable measures.
During a recent conferenc focused around the topic of the sustainability of Caribbean holidays, Carlisle Powell, the Natural Resources and Public Utilities Minister in the Nevis Island Administration (NIA) said there was urgent need for continued and ongoing support from big world powers like Germany, who have become leaders in wind energy.
The comment came during a presentation in Berlin which was recently held before political, business, scientific and civil society representatives from Latin America and the Caribbean (LAC) and the European Union (EU), to discuss the challenges and perspectives world destinations including Caribbean holidays were facing with regards to needing closer technological cooperation in the field of renewable energy and energy efficiency.
“In the Caribbean, we have been talking a good talk about wind energy for the last 20 years and only Jamaica and Nevis have made any real advances. (...) As I flew into Berlin, I was greeted by the sight of several wind turbines making use of the free wind. In the Caribbean, we have so much wind that between June and October, we call them hurricanes.
“We urgently need continued support from countries like Germany where you have become leaders in wind energy. Help us to develop wind studies, Power Purchase Agreements, contracts, evaluation of data, legislation and tariffs,” he said.
On the topic of geothermal energy development, Mr. Powell pointed to a World Bank study on the Caribbean Interconnection which he said made compelling reading. The Natural Resource Minister described the proposed project as possibly the most important for small island states such of the region. He explained that all the islands had their own generation plant or plants that were expensive to purchase and maintain and used the example of Nevis to show the benefits of the project.
“Imagine one Caribbean interconnected with renewable energy produced cheaply in one state (Nevis) transported to high demand areas. In my small island of Nevis, at peak we use only 9MW of power. It is estimated that we may have as much as 900MW of geothermal power that can be harnessed. That is enough to export to the neighbouring islands so all of us can enjoy cheaper energy, lower our carbon foot print, reduce our drain on foreign exchange and have extra funds from the avoided costs for other government programmes,” he said.
In the area of education, Powell highlighted the importance of educating Caribbean people on the benefits of renewable energy was for the sustainable future of Caribbean holidays. “Let’s commit to do more. This more must include providing educational material to the entire population to show the benefits of renewable energy. It must include involving our people in projects where they will save money; such as the use of solar water heaters,” he said.
Powell also took the opportunity to challenge the small island states leaders to become more proactive in the renewable energy thrust. “Unfortunately, we only seem prepared to act when the price of oil rises; when the price falls our search to find alternate cheap sources of energy also falls. Let us remain focused on the urgent need to reduce our dependence on foreign oil,” were his final words.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Caribbean and Costa Rica Browse all
Stay close to all the action in a fabulous resort that's part of a beautiful ecological reserve and sits right next to Xcaret, Cancun's number one theme park.
- Enjoy access to 11 Restaurants and 10 Bars catering to every taste and occasion & access to 5 glorious Swimming Pools including 1 at Royal Level, 1 salt water pool only for adults and 1 children's pool
- This resort is a fantastic choice for an exciting family holiday that you will never forget,why not make it extra special by upgrading to visit the amazing Xcaret Park
- Limitless all-inclusive fun and thrills for everyone in a beautiful eco-reserve facing a glorious beach
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
- Book now and get a free upgrade to the sea view at Blau Varadero - limited availability
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
- Blau Vardero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
Use up to $2000 resort credit to indulge in spa treatments, golf sessions or a selection of excursions that will make your Cancun holiday truly unforgettable.
- Duran Duran in concert at Moon Palace on 29th December (tickets additional cost)
- Winner of the Trip Advisor 2015 Travellers Choice Award
- Enjoy the impressive $2000 Resort Credit per booking that you can spend on golf, spa treatments, dolphin swims, visit to Chichen Itza, Express Tour of Tulum, Family fun days out at the Wet 'N' Wild Waterpark and much more
- Whether you are looking for an active holiday or a relaxing break, Moon Palace Resort is an ideal destination for travellers of all ages
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
This 1920s colonial house is surrounded by lush vegetation and terrace areas and boasts a stunning array of antiques,...
Escape to the pristine beaches of the south coast of Barbados for a holiday you will never forget. This is the perfect...
St Lawrence Gap is famous for its many restaurants, great shopping and lively nightlife. This 1.3 km stretch of road,...