Prime Minister praises local efforts for driving large number of tourists to Jamaica holidays
During the JAPEX 2010 forum being currently held in Jamaica, the country's Prime Minister was eager to congratulate and thank those working in the travel sector for their ongoing efforts to boost the number of tourist arrivals to Jamaica holidays
Praising the national efforts for pushing the Jamaica holiday product Prime Minister, Bruce Golding, officially opened the Jamaica Product Exchange fair (JAPEX) 2010 on Tuesday night in Montego Bay, highlight the efforts of local stakeholders in the tourism industry for their hard work in selling Jamaica holidays.
Golding said that despite the widespread downturn in the global economy, Jamaica holidays have continued to attract a record number of tourists, outdoing a number of leading Caribbean holiday destinations and Central American destinations. He credited such a success to the courage and determination of local players, thanking them for their ongoing efforts in boosting Jamaica holidays and enhancing the quality standards of the Jamaica holiday product.
"We try to be humble about it but the figures do not lie. Last year, we led the entire Caribbean region in terms of improving our stopover arrivals - 3 .6 per cent, when so many other destinations were in the negative column," – the Prime Minister said during his opening speech.
"As a nation, we are proud of the Jamaican product, a great part of which is the people involved in the industry," - he added during the function held at Sandals Cay.
The Prime Minister also expressed his gratitude to the wholesalers and tour operators for the focus they have maintained on the island and its tourism offerings.
On his part, Edmund Bartlett, Minister of Tourism, proudly announced that from one million available airline seats, Jamaica holidays were able to attract a record number of 700,000 visitors for the winter season, which ended on 15th April, 2010.
"We now have 1 .3 million seats for summer and if we (achieve) the 70 per cent projection that I make, it will be another record, because we would be bringing in over 900,000 visitors throughout the summer," he declared while calling on the wholesalers to keep up the good promotion and campaigning work to sell Jamaica holidays.
The JAPEX fair is the premier trade show for the local Jamaican travel industry, providing the ideal forum for leading suppliers of the Jamaican tourism product to meet, interact, network and negotiate with travel wholesalers and tour operators from around the world.
This time around more than 200 wholesalers from across the world are in Montego Bay to participate in the 3-day event being held at the luxury Half Moon Hotel in Rose Hall.
Having reached its 20th edition, JAPEX is staged jointly by the Jamaica Hotel and Tourist Association (JHTA) and the Jamaica Tourist Board (JTB), while being supported by every Jamaican organisation and travel company involved in the development, promotion and sale of the island's tourism product.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Jamaica Browse all
Whether it's gliding down waterslides, riding a pirate ship or just relaxing on a lazy river at Pirate's Paradise Waterpark, there's fun for everyone guaranteed!
- The Montego Bay Marine Park location offers protected swimming areas and extraordinary snorkelling
- Summer just got better with upto two kids stay and play for FREE!
- Enjoy 24-hour access to food and beverage
Located within 15 minutes from Sangster's International Airport and 5 minutes from three world-class golf courses
- Enjoy Exclusive April Offers with incredible savings
- A variety of water sports or leave your daily stress behind and relax with the magical spa services
- Luxury accommodations combined with breathtaking ocean views
- A wide selection of restaurants with international gourmet buffet, where you can enjoy a variety of cuisine from breakfast pastries to classic Jamaican fare
Enjoy the priviliges of bygone days at secrets st. james montego bay, an Adults Only Romantic resort with Unlimited-Luxury Privileges
- Relax & Unwind at the Secrets Spa by Pevonia or watch a live show at the open-air theatre
- Indulge in a host of international cuisine, or dine in with 24-hr room service
- Huge savings when you upgrade to a Preferred Club room or Preferred Club Junior Suite
- Enjoy a range of activities including sailing, snorkelling, windsurfing and tennis
Freedom of choice is what it's all about at this adult-only hotel, hedonism ii designed for pure self indulgence of the body, spirit and soul
- Dance the night away at the Famous Club Hurricane Nightclub
- Indulge in the wide selection of food & unlimited drinks including top shelf brands
- Enjoy a vast array of facilities including Kayaking, Water-Skiing, Snorkelling & more
Enjoy the perfect setting for a romantic honeymoon or tropical wedding at the all inclusive Mangos Jamaica. This adults...
Experience firsthand the enchantment of Jamaica's magical Montego Bay as you enjoy the holiday of a lifetime. The Hilton...
Montego Bay is simply a postcard made real. It is one of Jamaica's premier resorts, covered in fine white sands and...
Spoil yourself with a week of sun and sand at one of Jamaica's most beautiful beaches. Your eight days in Rooms On The...
Nestled upon a stunning beach The Rondel Village Hotel is within close proximity to the entertainment and activities...
Located in New Kingston, the Knutsford Court Hotel offers a laidback atmosphere within a beautiful tropical setting....