Are traditional Barbados holidays and the hotel industry at risk?
The traditional Barbados hotel could be dying out as more luxury high end properties and resorts are being introduced into the Caribbean region to attract the wealthier travellers who expect more on their Barbados holidays.
According to the Barbados Hotel and Tourism Association's website, they represent "over 80% of the total room stock on the island" which is divided into three categories. These days, the luxury 'A' and 'B' Class include large resorts and hotels in Barbados as well smaller properties, apartments, and even guest houses, leaving little room for a traditional Barbados hotel which offers a simpler yet authentic travel experience for travellers on Barbados holidays.
The average occupancy levels in Barbados hotels during 2009 are as follows:
These statistics, together with the statement on Barbados Hotels and Tourism Association's website regarding representing all registered properties in Barbados, show that over 3,094 rooms in Barbados hotel were empty every single night of 2009.
The figures are alarming for tourism officials and businesses specialising in tourism in Barbados, particularly as occupancy levels in the first quarter of 2010 do not look much more encouraging. January was the only month which saw a rise in tourists taking Barbados breaks, with many of these choosing all inclusive Barbados holidays. However, February, usually the island's busiest month, saw a decrease in visitors from 82% during the same period in 2009 to 63% this year.
There are a number of Barbados hotels which are still operating despite not being registered with the Barbados Hotel and Tourism Association, a legal requirement, and occupancy figures cannot be included from these properties. Tourism officials are planning to put marketing strategies in place to encourage more visitors to the region but it seems that the traditional Barbados hotel could sadly a thing of the past as large international hospitality groups sweep into the region with their luxury properties and all inclusive resorts.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Barbados Browse all
Enjoy Barbados at the perfect base on the south coast, stay in Worthing Court Apartment Hotel on beautiful Worthing Beach
- Situated across the road from the stunning Worthing Beach
- Comfortable and equipped units with air conditioning, a daily maid service and a balcony/patio
- Short walk away from shops, restaurants, sporting facilities, supermarkets, bars, night clubs and the beautiful Worthing Beach
Be perfectly positioned just a heartbeat away from all the action in Bridgetown and The Gap at Coconut Court Beach Hotel
- Only a short distance from the capital of Bridgetown and St Lawrence Gap; places with lively nightlife and world class restaurants and shops
- FREE roadtrip airport transfers, FREE Bottle of Pirate Punch on arrival, A FREE bottle of Sparkling Wine for Honeymooners and FREE transfers to Bridgetown for shopping
- Savings of up to 40% now available plus up to two children stay and play FREE for stays in 2018 and 2019
Bask in glorious Caribbean sunshine at Ocean Two Resort & Residences and let every ounce of stress melt away as you gaze at the stunning turquoise waters lapping up the sparkling white sands.
- Summer 18 Sale now on with savings of upto 45% and complimentary Breakfast in any Bedroom Suites
- All apartment suites boast large sitting rooms, contemporary kitchens, flat-screen TVs and spectacular ocean views
- Adults Only Rooftop pool with panoramic views of Barbados and the Sea
Enjoy Turtle Beach by Elegant Hotels, the all-suite resort thats warm service and superb facilities that complete a fun-filled holiday to beautiful Barbados
- Exclusive last minute DOUBLE FREE room upgrade to Deluxe Ocean View Suite as seen on Secret Escapes
- Kids 16 and under stay, play and eat free
- Enjoy five onsite restaurants and bars, or dine-around privileges at other participating Elegant Hotels
You can enjoy all the aspects of this charming island, as the elegant eco-friendly property is located near all the...
Escape to the pristine beaches of the south coast of Barbados for a holiday you will never forget at Coconut Court Beach...
Set in lush gardens beside the azure waters of the Caribbean Sea, The Club Barbados is a tranquil and relaxing haven....
Create unforgettable memories at the heart of Barbados' western coast at a collection of one bedroom apartments. Halcyon...
An intimate collection of One Bedroom Apartments located in the heart of the West Coast of Barbados. Travellers Palm...
St Lawrence Gap is famous for its many restaurants, great shopping and lively nightlife. This 1.3 km stretch of road,...