One million tourists enjoy Cuba holidays during first quarter of 2010
The Minister of Tourism announced at 13th International Tourism Fair that the number of travellers taking Cuba holidays between January and April this year hit an all time high as more than a million visitors flocked to the Caribbean island.
Manuel Marrero, Cuba's Minister of Tourism, announced the record number of tourists enjoying Cuba holidays at the opening ceremony of the International Tourism Fair which was held in Cuba's capital city, Havana. Marrero stated:
"Although we didn't have a good start this year," he noted, "we managed to recover in March and April, concluding the quarter with 1,053,000 visitors -the highest number ever in Cuba."
The Ministry of Tourism is working alongside the government to improve business and tourism in Cuba with the help of new strategies and campaigns. One of these new strategies, Genuine Club, is due to be launched to promote destinations in Cuba to the rest of the world. This will involve the development and refurbishment of many Cuba hotels and resorts in an attempt to attract more visitors to take holidays in Cuba. Marrero added:
"A constant renovation, modernisation and development of our hotels will be complementing this strategy."
There are currently 50,000 rooms in operation in Cuba hotels, of which 65 percent are within four and five-star hotels. Plans are underway to add a further 20,000 rooms in the region within the next five years with the construction of new hotels in Varadero, Cayo Coco, and Cayo Santamaria. Marrero explained:
"In the last 20 years. Cuba's tourism industry has experimented one of the most important and dynamic development processes in the Americas and the Caribbean. In 1990, the country finished twenty-third on the list of countries with the most visitors. Now we're ninth on the list."
With many tourists enjoying Varadero Beach all inclusive holidays each year, efforts are being made to improve other regions of Cuba and plans are in place to improve the airport and harbour as well organise more international events to encourage more bussines travellers to book Cuba holidays. Currently, the majority of travellers expending their holidays in Cuba are from Canada but tourism officials are keen create a steady flow of visitors from European regions which have seen a recent dip.
"There are a series of reasons for this behaviour. Spain, for instance, is the only country that has increased its number of visitors to Cuba. But we will continue to strive to recover those clients," he added.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 19:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
A superb combination of great accommodation and exciting activities make this resort one of Cuba's hottest properties
- Previous winner of the Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence, and ranked in the top 5 Hotels in Varadero
- Full range of Spa treatments for a more relaxing break, or a selection of water and land sports to choose from for the more active traveller
- Enjoy a range of tours and excursions
- Couples can benefit from a free bottle of sparkling wine and a romantic dinner for two, plus a 30 min massage per couple
Discover the relaxing Varadero and sink into sublim tranquillity
- Experience the beauty of Varadero Beach where you can relax and unwind on the tranquil white sandy beaches whilst enjoying the 24-hrs All-inclusive offered at the Luxurious Iberostar Varadero
- Stay in Havana's most highly rated hotel, with an iconic location facing Central Park
- Discover Cuba whilst staying at the 2 Top rated TripAdvisor hotels in Cuba
Soak up the history and culture in Havana before a luxurious stay at one of Varadero's most stunning beachfront resorts
- Rooftop swimming pool and jacuzzi at Parque Central where you can look over the spectacular city of Havana
- Bella Vista sits on Varadero's pristine stretch of beach with 24-Hour all-inclusive services
- Endless range of facilities and activities for the perfect stay in your beachfront paradise
- Discover Havana’s timeless, charismatic and bustling streets with a Havana city tour
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
One of Havana's most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the NH Capri is a legendary property with over...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Discover the cultural and historical treasures of Havana as you're treated to 5-star service at the Iberostar Parque...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Escape to Cuba on your next holiday and book a stay at the Villa Tortuga Hotel in Varadero. It is an all inclusive hotel...
Club Kawama depicts a traditional hacienda type atmosphere, but in actual fact it's an All Inclusive resort. Beautifully...