One million tourists enjoy Cuba holidays during first quarter of 2010
The Minister of Tourism announced at 13th International Tourism Fair that the number of travellers taking Cuba holidays between January and April this year hit an all time high as more than a million visitors flocked to the Caribbean island.
Manuel Marrero, Cuba's Minister of Tourism, announced the record number of tourists enjoying Cuba holidays at the opening ceremony of the International Tourism Fair which was held in Cuba's capital city, Havana. Marrero stated:
"Although we didn't have a good start this year," he noted, "we managed to recover in March and April, concluding the quarter with 1,053,000 visitors -the highest number ever in Cuba."
The Ministry of Tourism is working alongside the government to improve business and tourism in Cuba with the help of new strategies and campaigns. One of these new strategies, Genuine Club, is due to be launched to promote destinations in Cuba to the rest of the world. This will involve the development and refurbishment of many Cuba hotels and resorts in an attempt to attract more visitors to take holidays in Cuba. Marrero added:
"A constant renovation, modernisation and development of our hotels will be complementing this strategy."
There are currently 50,000 rooms in operation in Cuba hotels, of which 65 percent are within four and five-star hotels. Plans are underway to add a further 20,000 rooms in the region within the next five years with the construction of new hotels in Varadero, Cayo Coco, and Cayo Santamaria. Marrero explained:
"In the last 20 years. Cuba's tourism industry has experimented one of the most important and dynamic development processes in the Americas and the Caribbean. In 1990, the country finished twenty-third on the list of countries with the most visitors. Now we're ninth on the list."
With many tourists enjoying Varadero Beach all inclusive holidays each year, efforts are being made to improve other regions of Cuba and plans are in place to improve the airport and harbour as well organise more international events to encourage more bussines travellers to book Cuba holidays. Currently, the majority of travellers expending their holidays in Cuba are from Canada but tourism officials are keen create a steady flow of visitors from European regions which have seen a recent dip.
"There are a series of reasons for this behaviour. Spain, for instance, is the only country that has increased its number of visitors to Cuba. But we will continue to strive to recover those clients," he added.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Indulge in a couples special retreat that includes a Deluxe Havana City Break and Luxury Adults-Only All Inclusive Beach Escape in Varadero
- The perfect 5* multi centre mixing exciting city life with a pampering beach retreat in romantic Cuba
- The luxury all suite Paradisus Princesa Del Mar Resort and Spa is situated on the pristine Varadero beach
- Melia Habana is the perfect base for exploring all that Cuba has to offer and also offers a free shuttle to and from the Old City Centre
Enjoy a summer holiday of a lifetime staying at two amazing hotels in both Havana and Varadero
- Enjoy water sports on the Varadero beach, relax by the hotel pool, sample a refreshing cocktail
- Book now to receive our exclusive Couples offer which includes a bottle of cava on arrival in both hotels, turndown service in the evenings and a guaranteed reservation in the a la carte restaurants in Varadero and much more
- Experience Havana's vintage vibe & Varadero's soft white-sand beaches all in one trip
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
The unlimited heaven of tranquility in a perfect setting
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
One of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the Capri is a legendary property with over...
Soak up the history of Havana as well as the magnificence of Varadero beach on an unforgettable twin centre holiday to...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Take a holiday to enjoy the abundant natural beauty of one of Cuba's leading resorts, Varadero. This locale is known for...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...