Caribbean Tourism Chairman calls for protection against impact of climate change
The Chairman of the Caribbean Tourism Organisation (CTO), who is responsible for policies concerning Caribbean holidays and the tourism industry, has called for new initiatives to help protect the region and its assets from the impact of climate change.
Hon. John Maginley, Chairman of the Caribbean Tourism Organisation (CTO), addressed the 400 delegates who attended the 11th Annual Caribbean Conference on Sustainable Tourism Development on Sunday 9 May and told them that the region must do all it can to ease the effects of the impact of natural disasters.
The Caribbean is susceptible to natural disasters including hurricanes and earthquakes and the recent earthquake in Haiti proved the destruction and devastation these natural disasters can cause. Mr Maginley said:
"We know what it's like to have to cope with storms. We know what it feels like to deal with periodic drought; and most recently, we have experienced the trauma of earthquakes here in our region, a phenomenon from which the People of Haiti are only now beginning to recover. With disasters like these the time is surely right to aggressively push for initiatives that protect and preserve our region's unmatched assets."
With more travellers enjoying Caribbean holidays each year, it is important that whilst measures are being put in place for climate change, the region must remain competitive as a tourist destination and continue to encourage visitors to take holidays in the Caribbean. Mr Maginley, who is also the Tourism Minister for Antigua and Barbuda, added:
"This after all, is the primary means of sustenance for the vast majority of the citizens of the Caribbean. This means we must produce a superb tourism product that is sustainable and which clearly distinguishes us from our competitors."
The event is taking place at the Lloyd Erskine Sandiford Centre in Barbados and last three days. Delegates will debate issues and discuss recommendations for the sustainability and viability of the Caribbean's tourism sector. Attendees include the Deputy Prime Minister of Barbados, Roundel Stuart, representatives of international and regional institutions and ministers of government and will include presentations from the eco-tourism editor of National Geographic Travellers, Jonathan Tortilla who will share his expertise and suggest ways to secure sustainable tourism and continue to entice visitors to enjoy Caribbean holidays.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Caribbean and Costa Rica Browse all
Escape to Cuba's sunkissed sands and enjoy what Club Amigo Aguas Azules has to offer for an amazing price!
- Varadero History and Nature Tour Included
- Located on one of the best beaches in Varadero
- Excellent selection of 4 restaurants, 3 a la carte and a choice of 4 bars
Stay close to all the action in a fabulous resort that's part of a beautiful ecological reserve and sits right next to Xcaret, Cancun's number one theme park.
- Exclusive discount to the eco-archaeological Xcaret Park
- Enjoy access to 11 Restaurants and 10 Bars & access to 5 Swimming Pools
- Limitless all-inclusive fun and thrills for everyone in a beautiful eco-reserve facing a glorious beach
Enjoy an amazing twin centre full of enjoyment for everyone at occidental miramar and breezes bella costa
The two hotels combine for an amazing holiday experience fit for everyone from couples to families at occidental miramar and breezes bella
- The Memories Miramar Havana is located in an elegant residential neighbourhood of Miramar and enjoys beautiful ocean views
- Both hotels offer fantastic amenities and facilities which makes the hotels a great choice for both families and couples
- Bella Costa is located on one of the world's finest beaches - Varadero
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
If you're searching for the perfect combination of beach fun and natural discovery, look no further. Home to ancient...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Fancy a charming and adventurous holiday? Why not try our twin centre package that allows you to explore the contagious...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...