Caribbean Tourism Chairman calls for protection against impact of climate change
The Chairman of the Caribbean Tourism Organisation (CTO), who is responsible for policies concerning Caribbean holidays and the tourism industry, has called for new initiatives to help protect the region and its assets from the impact of climate change.
Hon. John Maginley, Chairman of the Caribbean Tourism Organisation (CTO), addressed the 400 delegates who attended the 11th Annual Caribbean Conference on Sustainable Tourism Development on Sunday 9 May and told them that the region must do all it can to ease the effects of the impact of natural disasters.
The Caribbean is susceptible to natural disasters including hurricanes and earthquakes and the recent earthquake in Haiti proved the destruction and devastation these natural disasters can cause. Mr Maginley said:
"We know what it's like to have to cope with storms. We know what it feels like to deal with periodic drought; and most recently, we have experienced the trauma of earthquakes here in our region, a phenomenon from which the People of Haiti are only now beginning to recover. With disasters like these the time is surely right to aggressively push for initiatives that protect and preserve our region's unmatched assets."
With more travellers enjoying Caribbean holidays each year, it is important that whilst measures are being put in place for climate change, the region must remain competitive as a tourist destination and continue to encourage visitors to take holidays in the Caribbean. Mr Maginley, who is also the Tourism Minister for Antigua and Barbuda, added:
"This after all, is the primary means of sustenance for the vast majority of the citizens of the Caribbean. This means we must produce a superb tourism product that is sustainable and which clearly distinguishes us from our competitors."
The event is taking place at the Lloyd Erskine Sandiford Centre in Barbados and last three days. Delegates will debate issues and discuss recommendations for the sustainability and viability of the Caribbean's tourism sector. Attendees include the Deputy Prime Minister of Barbados, Roundel Stuart, representatives of international and regional institutions and ministers of government and will include presentations from the eco-tourism editor of National Geographic Travellers, Jonathan Tortilla who will share his expertise and suggest ways to secure sustainable tourism and continue to entice visitors to enjoy Caribbean holidays.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 18:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Caribbean and Costa Rica Browse all
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
Discover the relaxing Varadero and sink into sublim tranquillity
- Experience the beauty of Varadero Beach where you can relax and unwind on the tranquil white sandy beaches whilst enjoying the 24-hrs All-inclusive offered at the Luxurious Iberostar Varadero
- Stay in Havana's most highly rated hotel, with an iconic location facing Central Park
- Discover Cuba whilst staying at the 2 Top rated TripAdvisor hotels in Cuba
Fall in love with Havana and its captivating heritage before being dazzled by the pristine shores of Varadero
- This package offers little touches to make your holiday extra special including a Welcome cocktail and a bottle of cava on arrival in Havana and Varadero
- You will be staying in luxurious hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly and offer the best of both worlds whether you are looking for adventure or relaxation
- Experience the best of the world famous Varadero Beach where white sand is lapped by the clear waters when staying at Melia Varadero
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Blau Varadero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Take a holiday to the Caribbean resort of Cancun in Mexico. In the magnificent Moon Palace Cancun you will be perfectly...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...
Club Kawama depicts a traditional hacienda type atmosphere, but in actual fact it's an All Inclusive resort. Beautifully...