Caribbean Tourism Chairman calls for protection against impact of climate change
The Chairman of the Caribbean Tourism Organisation (CTO), who is responsible for policies concerning Caribbean holidays and the tourism industry, has called for new initiatives to help protect the region and its assets from the impact of climate change.
Hon. John Maginley, Chairman of the Caribbean Tourism Organisation (CTO), addressed the 400 delegates who attended the 11th Annual Caribbean Conference on Sustainable Tourism Development on Sunday 9 May and told them that the region must do all it can to ease the effects of the impact of natural disasters.
The Caribbean is susceptible to natural disasters including hurricanes and earthquakes and the recent earthquake in Haiti proved the destruction and devastation these natural disasters can cause. Mr Maginley said:
"We know what it's like to have to cope with storms. We know what it feels like to deal with periodic drought; and most recently, we have experienced the trauma of earthquakes here in our region, a phenomenon from which the People of Haiti are only now beginning to recover. With disasters like these the time is surely right to aggressively push for initiatives that protect and preserve our region's unmatched assets."
With more travellers enjoying Caribbean holidays each year, it is important that whilst measures are being put in place for climate change, the region must remain competitive as a tourist destination and continue to encourage visitors to take holidays in the Caribbean. Mr Maginley, who is also the Tourism Minister for Antigua and Barbuda, added:
"This after all, is the primary means of sustenance for the vast majority of the citizens of the Caribbean. This means we must produce a superb tourism product that is sustainable and which clearly distinguishes us from our competitors."
The event is taking place at the Lloyd Erskine Sandiford Centre in Barbados and last three days. Delegates will debate issues and discuss recommendations for the sustainability and viability of the Caribbean's tourism sector. Attendees include the Deputy Prime Minister of Barbados, Roundel Stuart, representatives of international and regional institutions and ministers of government and will include presentations from the eco-tourism editor of National Geographic Travellers, Jonathan Tortilla who will share his expertise and suggest ways to secure sustainable tourism and continue to entice visitors to enjoy Caribbean holidays.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Caribbean and Costa Rica Browse all
Dive into the warm water of Varadero beach and relax under the caribbean sunshine
- Book now and benefit from huge savings with the launch of the new Virgin Atlantic to Varadero offer!
- Suites feature a separate living area and Tropical suites feature breathtaking views of the sea
- Golf lovers can play on the nearby Varadero 18 hole golf course
Stay close to all the action in a fabulous resort that's part of a beautiful ecological reserve and sits right next to Xcaret, Cancun's number one theme park.
- This resort is a fantastic choice for an exciting family holiday that you will never forget,why not make it extra special by upgrading to visit the amazing Xcaret Park
- Limitless all-inclusive fun and thrills for everyone in a beautiful eco-reserve facing a glorious beach
- Enjoy access to 11 Restaurants and 10 Bars catering to every taste and occasion & access to 5 glorious Swimming Pools
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
Use up to $2000 resort credit to indulge in spa treatments, golf sessions or a selection of excursions that will make your Cancun holiday truly unforgettable.
- Duran Duran in concert at Moon Palace on 29th December (tickets additional cost)
- Winner of the Trip Advisor 2015 Travellers Choice Award
- Enjoy the impressive $2000 Resort Credit per booking that you can spend on golf, spa treatments, dolphin swims, visit to Chichen Itza, Express Tour of Tulum, Family fun days out at the Wet 'N' Wild Waterpark and much more
- Whether you are looking for an active holiday or a relaxing break, Moon Palace Resort is an ideal destination for travellers of all ages
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
If you're searching for the perfect combination of beach fun and natural discovery, look no further. Home to ancient...
This 1920s colonial house is surrounded by lush vegetation and terrace areas and boasts a stunning array of antiques,...
Fancy a charming and adventurous holiday? Why not try our twin centre package that allows you to explore the contagious...
Enjoy a hearty welcome from hosts that exude contagious Cuban charm on an escape to Cuba. Explore not only the vibrant...