Caribbean Tourism Chairman calls for protection against impact of climate change
The Chairman of the Caribbean Tourism Organisation (CTO), who is responsible for policies concerning Caribbean holidays and the tourism industry, has called for new initiatives to help protect the region and its assets from the impact of climate change.
Hon. John Maginley, Chairman of the Caribbean Tourism Organisation (CTO), addressed the 400 delegates who attended the 11th Annual Caribbean Conference on Sustainable Tourism Development on Sunday 9 May and told them that the region must do all it can to ease the effects of the impact of natural disasters.
The Caribbean is susceptible to natural disasters including hurricanes and earthquakes and the recent earthquake in Haiti proved the destruction and devastation these natural disasters can cause. Mr Maginley said:
"We know what it's like to have to cope with storms. We know what it feels like to deal with periodic drought; and most recently, we have experienced the trauma of earthquakes here in our region, a phenomenon from which the People of Haiti are only now beginning to recover. With disasters like these the time is surely right to aggressively push for initiatives that protect and preserve our region's unmatched assets."
With more travellers enjoying Caribbean holidays each year, it is important that whilst measures are being put in place for climate change, the region must remain competitive as a tourist destination and continue to encourage visitors to take holidays in the Caribbean. Mr Maginley, who is also the Tourism Minister for Antigua and Barbuda, added:
"This after all, is the primary means of sustenance for the vast majority of the citizens of the Caribbean. This means we must produce a superb tourism product that is sustainable and which clearly distinguishes us from our competitors."
The event is taking place at the Lloyd Erskine Sandiford Centre in Barbados and last three days. Delegates will debate issues and discuss recommendations for the sustainability and viability of the Caribbean's tourism sector. Attendees include the Deputy Prime Minister of Barbados, Roundel Stuart, representatives of international and regional institutions and ministers of government and will include presentations from the eco-tourism editor of National Geographic Travellers, Jonathan Tortilla who will share his expertise and suggest ways to secure sustainable tourism and continue to entice visitors to enjoy Caribbean holidays.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Caribbean and Costa Rica Browse all
Stay close to all the action in a fabulous resort that's part of a beautiful ecological reserve and sits right next to Xcaret, Cancun's number one theme park.
- Exclusive discount to the eco-archaeological Xcaret Park
- Enjoy access to 11 Restaurants and 10 Bars & access to 5 Swimming Pools
- Limitless all-inclusive fun and thrills for everyone in a beautiful eco-reserve facing a glorious beach
Use up to $2500 resort credit to indulge in spa treatments, golf sessions or a selection of excursions that will make your Cancun holiday truly unforgettable.
- Fantastic all-inclusive package providing all meals, snacks, unlimited premium beverages, 24-hour room service and more
- Awesome resort credits with up to $2500 to spend on spa treatments, dolphin swims, access to the Wet 'N' Wild waterpark and much more
- Enjoy fantastic access to the newly opening Grand Section which includes ten new restaurants and 6 bars, a waterpark, a new spa with 64 treatment rooms, a theatre and a bowling alley, plus another Playroom Kids’ club and Wired Teens lounge
- Kids Stay, Play and Eat free
An eco-tourist's dream - embark on an amazing journey of discovery with the perfect combination of comfort and adventure in tropical Costa Rica.
- Explore the amazing country of Costa Rica and discover all it's gems on this in depth tour with a fabulous beach stay
- During this tour you will experience various unique inclusions including a fantastic stay in tented accommodation under the stars in Arenal
- Enjoy various activities and exploration on this holiday including river rafting and much more with various optional tours to add
Enjoy a summer holiday of a lifetime staying at two amazing hotels in both Havana and Varadero
- Book now to receive our exclusive Couples offer which includes a bottle of cava on arrival in both hotels, turndown service in the evenings and a guaranteed reservation in the a la carte restaurants in Varadero and much more
- This offer includes a free Historical Havana Tour
- Experience Havana's vintage vibe & Varadero's soft white-sand beaches all in one trip
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Soak up the history of Havana as well as the magnificence of Varadero beach on an unforgettable twin centre holiday to...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
You can enjoy all the aspects of this charming island, as the elegant eco-friendly property is located near all the...
Escape to the pristine beaches of the south coast of Barbados for a holiday you will never forget. This is the perfect...
St Lawrence Gap is famous for its many restaurants, great shopping and lively nightlife. This 1.3 km stretch of road,...