Rise in Cuba holidays popularity will place region as number one caribbean destination
As the number if travellers taking Cuba holiday continues to increase, tourism stakeholders and officials have agreed that the Caribbean Spanish-speaking island has the potential to become the leading tourism destination in the region.
Attendees at this year's Caribbean Hotel and Tourism Investment Conference which was titled "Cuba- Will It Become The #1 Tourism Destination?", the Director of Britain's Cuba Initiative, David Jessop, and Dr Timothy Ashby, a specialist on Cuba's trade and investment strategies, both agreed that the stunning island looks set to become the top destination for travellers taking Caribbean holidays.
Ashby believes that the Cuba could move up from its number-three position to the top position in as little as two years if the US-Cuba travel embargo is lifted by President Barack Obama. He said:
"Cuba could easily be number one if the ban is lifted by the United States. They had well over 2.4 million visitors in 2009, and they were not from the US."
The Cuba government and the American Society of Travel Agents estimate that if the ban is lifted by US congress, there will be at least one million travelling to the region and enjoying Cuba holidays within one year and three million visitors within three years. The only setback for the predicted influx of visitors is the country's infrastructure which is not yet able to accommodate tourists with its current number of Cuba hotels and resorts.
"There would have to be significantly more investment in a wider range of branded hotels and attractions; there would have to be a much stronger top end of the market offering; and there would have to be a dramatic increase in airlift from the US, offering connections to both US citizens and others to travel freely in and out of Cuba. All of these are matters that Cuba itself will have to balance with its desire to maintain its unique culture and social system."
Cuba's new position is likely to be harmful to the smaller Caribbean islands except for the ones who can differentiate themselves from Cuban culture and continue to attract visitors. The number of travellers taking Cayman Islands, Bahamas, Virgin Islands and Jamaica holidays is not likely to be affected.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Expect Luxury, comfort and relaxation!
- Enjoy spa treatments, water and land sports and more for a fun-filled break
- Relish fantastic eating and drinking options 24 hours a day
- Enjoy complimentary perks, including a bottle of sparkling wine, a romantic dinner for two, plus a 30 min massage per couple.
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
Discover the relaxing Varadero and sink into sublim tranquillity
- Experience the beauty of Varadero Beach where you can relax and unwind on the tranquil white sandy beaches whilst enjoying the 24-hrs All-inclusive offered at the Luxurious Iberostar Varadero
- Stay in Havana's most highly rated hotel, with an iconic location facing Central Park
- Discover Cuba whilst staying at the 2 Top rated TripAdvisor hotels in Cuba
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Blau Varadero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Travel to one of Cuba's hidden touristic gems, Varadero, where stretches of secluded beach await you at Blau Varadero....
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Club Kawama depicts a traditional hacienda type atmosphere, but in actual fact it's an All Inclusive resort. Beautifully...