Rise in Cuba holidays popularity will place region as number one caribbean destination
As the number if travellers taking Cuba holiday continues to increase, tourism stakeholders and officials have agreed that the Caribbean Spanish-speaking island has the potential to become the leading tourism destination in the region.
Attendees at this year's Caribbean Hotel and Tourism Investment Conference which was titled "Cuba- Will It Become The #1 Tourism Destination?", the Director of Britain's Cuba Initiative, David Jessop, and Dr Timothy Ashby, a specialist on Cuba's trade and investment strategies, both agreed that the stunning island looks set to become the top destination for travellers taking Caribbean holidays.
Ashby believes that the Cuba could move up from its number-three position to the top position in as little as two years if the US-Cuba travel embargo is lifted by President Barack Obama. He said:
"Cuba could easily be number one if the ban is lifted by the United States. They had well over 2.4 million visitors in 2009, and they were not from the US."
The Cuba government and the American Society of Travel Agents estimate that if the ban is lifted by US congress, there will be at least one million travelling to the region and enjoying Cuba holidays within one year and three million visitors within three years. The only setback for the predicted influx of visitors is the country's infrastructure which is not yet able to accommodate tourists with its current number of Cuba hotels and resorts.
"There would have to be significantly more investment in a wider range of branded hotels and attractions; there would have to be a much stronger top end of the market offering; and there would have to be a dramatic increase in airlift from the US, offering connections to both US citizens and others to travel freely in and out of Cuba. All of these are matters that Cuba itself will have to balance with its desire to maintain its unique culture and social system."
Cuba's new position is likely to be harmful to the smaller Caribbean islands except for the ones who can differentiate themselves from Cuban culture and continue to attract visitors. The number of travellers taking Cayman Islands, Bahamas, Virgin Islands and Jamaica holidays is not likely to be affected.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 19:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Enjoy the long list of fun options for all the family or bask on Varadero's pure white sands
- Located on a gorgeous stretch of Varadero beach.
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 28th Feb
- Sample a host of activities including snorkelling, kayaking, windsurfing, golf and more.
- Enjoy 24-hour all-inclusive service.
Discover the relaxing Varadero and sink into sublim tranquillity
- Experience the beauty of Varadero Beach where you can relax and unwind on the tranquil white sandy beaches whilst enjoying the 24-hrs All-inclusive offered at the Luxurious Iberostar Varadero
- Stay in Havana's most highly rated hotel, with an iconic location facing Central Park
- Discover Cuba whilst staying at the 2 Top rated TripAdvisor hotels in Cuba
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
Fall in love with Havana and its captivating heritage before being dazzled by the pristine shores of Varadero
- This package offers little touches to make your holiday extra special including a Welcome cocktail and a bottle of cava on arrival in Havana and Varadero
- You will be staying in luxurious hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly and offer the best of both worlds whether you are looking for adventure or relaxation
- Experience the best of the world famous Varadero Beach where white sand is lapped by the clear waters when staying at Melia Varadero
One of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the Capri is a legendary property with over...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Start your holiday at The Melia Habana Hotel, located in the heart of the elegant Miramar district, overlooking the sea....
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Club Kawama depicts a traditional hacienda type atmosphere, but in actual fact it's an All Inclusive resort. Beautifully...
Escape to Cuba on your next holiday and book a stay at the Villa Tortuga Hotel in Varadero. It is an all inclusive hotel...