Rise in Cuba holidays popularity will place region as number one caribbean destination
As the number if travellers taking Cuba holiday continues to increase, tourism stakeholders and officials have agreed that the Caribbean Spanish-speaking island has the potential to become the leading tourism destination in the region.
Attendees at this year's Caribbean Hotel and Tourism Investment Conference which was titled "Cuba- Will It Become The #1 Tourism Destination?", the Director of Britain's Cuba Initiative, David Jessop, and Dr Timothy Ashby, a specialist on Cuba's trade and investment strategies, both agreed that the stunning island looks set to become the top destination for travellers taking Caribbean holidays.
Ashby believes that the Cuba could move up from its number-three position to the top position in as little as two years if the US-Cuba travel embargo is lifted by President Barack Obama. He said:
"Cuba could easily be number one if the ban is lifted by the United States. They had well over 2.4 million visitors in 2009, and they were not from the US."
The Cuba government and the American Society of Travel Agents estimate that if the ban is lifted by US congress, there will be at least one million travelling to the region and enjoying Cuba holidays within one year and three million visitors within three years. The only setback for the predicted influx of visitors is the country's infrastructure which is not yet able to accommodate tourists with its current number of Cuba hotels and resorts.
"There would have to be significantly more investment in a wider range of branded hotels and attractions; there would have to be a much stronger top end of the market offering; and there would have to be a dramatic increase in airlift from the US, offering connections to both US citizens and others to travel freely in and out of Cuba. All of these are matters that Cuba itself will have to balance with its desire to maintain its unique culture and social system."
Cuba's new position is likely to be harmful to the smaller Caribbean islands except for the ones who can differentiate themselves from Cuban culture and continue to attract visitors. The number of travellers taking Cayman Islands, Bahamas, Virgin Islands and Jamaica holidays is not likely to be affected.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 17:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Dive into the warm water of Varadero beach and relax under the caribbean sunshine
- Book now and benefit from huge savings with the launch of the new Virgin Atlantic to Varadero offer!
- Suites feature a separate living area and Tropical suites feature breathtaking views of the sea
- Golf lovers can play on the nearby Varadero 18 hole golf course
Enjoy the exciting nightlife the Melia Marina Varadero Hotel has to offer, whilst relaxing during the day in the beautiful accommodation
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 10th Jul 2017
- Melia Marina Varadero Hotel is ideally located 300m from the beach in an ecological reserve with a dolphinarium and caves to explore
- Incredible all-inclusive benefits with dining at 9 restaurants at Melia Marina Varadero Hotel
- Excellent watersports facilities including yachting, fishing and diving
- Book now and get a free upgrade to the sea view at Melia Habana - limited availability
Stay at a Havana hotel brimming with history then head off to a brand-new beachfront resort in Varadero
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
Stay in two top ranked hotels on a twin centre holiday that blends luxury and historically perfectly to create a holiday of a lifetime
- Take advantage of an amazing room upgrade from a Standard Room to a Sea View Room at NH Capri
- Stay in two of the top ranked hotels in Cuba, perfectly paired to offer you a holiday like no other
- Royalton Hicacos is a luxurious resort located one of the finest beaches in Varadero where there is a little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa and activity program
- NH Capri is located in the heart of cultural Havana and is embroiled in history being one of the most popular hotels with the gangsters of the 1950’s
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
This 1920s colonial house is surrounded by lush vegetation and terrace areas and boasts a stunning array of antiques,...
Look out onto the day to day life of Havana's streets from the Casa Santy's balconies, with its great location and a...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...