Rise in Cuba holidays popularity will place region as number one caribbean destination
As the number if travellers taking Cuba holiday continues to increase, tourism stakeholders and officials have agreed that the Caribbean Spanish-speaking island has the potential to become the leading tourism destination in the region.
Attendees at this year's Caribbean Hotel and Tourism Investment Conference which was titled "Cuba- Will It Become The #1 Tourism Destination?", the Director of Britain's Cuba Initiative, David Jessop, and Dr Timothy Ashby, a specialist on Cuba's trade and investment strategies, both agreed that the stunning island looks set to become the top destination for travellers taking Caribbean holidays.
Ashby believes that the Cuba could move up from its number-three position to the top position in as little as two years if the US-Cuba travel embargo is lifted by President Barack Obama. He said:
"Cuba could easily be number one if the ban is lifted by the United States. They had well over 2.4 million visitors in 2009, and they were not from the US."
The Cuba government and the American Society of Travel Agents estimate that if the ban is lifted by US congress, there will be at least one million travelling to the region and enjoying Cuba holidays within one year and three million visitors within three years. The only setback for the predicted influx of visitors is the country's infrastructure which is not yet able to accommodate tourists with its current number of Cuba hotels and resorts.
"There would have to be significantly more investment in a wider range of branded hotels and attractions; there would have to be a much stronger top end of the market offering; and there would have to be a dramatic increase in airlift from the US, offering connections to both US citizens and others to travel freely in and out of Cuba. All of these are matters that Cuba itself will have to balance with its desire to maintain its unique culture and social system."
Cuba's new position is likely to be harmful to the smaller Caribbean islands except for the ones who can differentiate themselves from Cuban culture and continue to attract visitors. The number of travellers taking Cayman Islands, Bahamas, Virgin Islands and Jamaica holidays is not likely to be affected.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Enjoy the long list of fun options for all the family or bask on Varadero's pure white sands
- Sample a host of activities including snorkelling, kayaking, windsurfing, golf and more.
- Enjoy 24-hour all-inclusive service.
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 29th May 2017
- Located on a gorgeous stretch of Varadero beach.
- Exclusive Free upgrade to the Bungalow Suite
Soak up the Caribbean sun on Varadero’s white sands
- The state of the art facilities and décor, that ensure a comfortable stay
- The daytime activities program & Kids club.
- The perfect location along one of the most spectacular stretches of beach in Cuba.
The unlimited heaven of tranquility in a perfect setting
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
This 1920s colonial house is surrounded by lush vegetation and terrace areas and boasts a stunning array of antiques,...
Look out onto the day to day life of Havana's streets from the Casa Santy's balconies, with its great location and a...