Cuba holidays enjoying the most successful period
Cuba holidays are currently experienced an unprecedented boost in popularity as the island registers the 4 most successful consecutive months in the history of Cuba travel since the country starting working in generating tourism from abroad.
The holiday industry in Cuba seems to be enjoying a good momentum as the popularity of Cuba has been steadily rising since the beginning of 2010, with the number of tourist arrivals having increased for the first quarter of year. The amount of worldwide travellers taking Cuba holidays has grown to unprecedented margins as the island government reports the most successful 4 months in the history of Cuba travel since the island started promoting tourism as an important source of income for the country.
Cuba’s Tourism Minister Manuel Marrero reported that more than 1.05 million foreigners had come on Cuba holidays as of the end of April, signalling the most-successful four-month span since Cuba began promoting large-scale tourism from abroad.
Addressing a large group of tourism officials attending Cuba's annual FITCUBA 2010 tourism fair, which is being held this week at the Morro Castle in Havana, a Spanish fort built in centuries ago, that guards the sea entrance to Havana, Marrero also said Cuba may exceed the 2.5 million target of foreign visitors arriving in the country in 2010.
"We began with January and February really bad - bad because of the financial crisis, because of many factors," Marrero told his audience. "But March and April have been very good."
Last year, Cuban tourism rose 3.5%, with more than 2.4 million tourists visiting the island, mostly from Europe and Canada, despite the global recession (also largely due to the competitive prices Cuba holidays offered in comparison to other Caribbean holiday destinations).
According to Marrero, 50% more Cuban-Americans visited early this year than during the same period last year, but offered no statistics regarding this segment of the Cuba holiday market. He added that Cuba currently has 50,000 hotel rooms nationwide, many in establishments jointly operated by the government and private companies in Europe.
Marrero also said that in order to generate further growth in Cuba holidays, the government has approved construction of residential projects linked to resorts. He said the government has green-lighted "real estate for tourist purposes."
Investment firms in Canada and Europe have proposed building golf courses coupled with luxury housing under long-term leases with Cuba's government.The decision would allow Cuba's "entrance into new segments and the realization of investments in areas with tourism potential that have yet to be exploited," Marrero added on a final note.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 17:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Escape to Cuba's sunkissed sands and enjoy what Starfish Varadero has to offer for an amazing price!
- Stay entertained with daily activities, land sports, water sports and lively shows
- Located on one of the best beaches in Varadero
- Excellent selection of 4 restaurants, 3 a la carte and a choice of 4 bars
Enjoy the long list of fun options for all the family or bask on Varadero's pure white sands
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 31st Jul 2017
- Sample a host of activities including snorkelling, kayaking, windsurfing, golf and more.
- Located on a gorgeous stretch of Varadero beach.
- Enjoy 24-hour all-inclusive service.
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
This 1920s colonial house is surrounded by lush vegetation and terrace areas and boasts a stunning array of antiques,...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...