Cuba holidays enjoying the most successful period
Cuba holidays are currently experienced an unprecedented boost in popularity as the island registers the 4 most successful consecutive months in the history of Cuba travel since the country starting working in generating tourism from abroad.
The holiday industry in Cuba seems to be enjoying a good momentum as the popularity of Cuba has been steadily rising since the beginning of 2010, with the number of tourist arrivals having increased for the first quarter of year. The amount of worldwide travellers taking Cuba holidays has grown to unprecedented margins as the island government reports the most successful 4 months in the history of Cuba travel since the island started promoting tourism as an important source of income for the country.
Cuba’s Tourism Minister Manuel Marrero reported that more than 1.05 million foreigners had come on Cuba holidays as of the end of April, signalling the most-successful four-month span since Cuba began promoting large-scale tourism from abroad.
Addressing a large group of tourism officials attending Cuba's annual FITCUBA 2010 tourism fair, which is being held this week at the Morro Castle in Havana, a Spanish fort built in centuries ago, that guards the sea entrance to Havana, Marrero also said Cuba may exceed the 2.5 million target of foreign visitors arriving in the country in 2010.
"We began with January and February really bad - bad because of the financial crisis, because of many factors," Marrero told his audience. "But March and April have been very good."
Last year, Cuban tourism rose 3.5%, with more than 2.4 million tourists visiting the island, mostly from Europe and Canada, despite the global recession (also largely due to the competitive prices Cuba holidays offered in comparison to other Caribbean holiday destinations).
According to Marrero, 50% more Cuban-Americans visited early this year than during the same period last year, but offered no statistics regarding this segment of the Cuba holiday market. He added that Cuba currently has 50,000 hotel rooms nationwide, many in establishments jointly operated by the government and private companies in Europe.
Marrero also said that in order to generate further growth in Cuba holidays, the government has approved construction of residential projects linked to resorts. He said the government has green-lighted "real estate for tourist purposes."
Investment firms in Canada and Europe have proposed building golf courses coupled with luxury housing under long-term leases with Cuba's government.The decision would allow Cuba's "entrance into new segments and the realization of investments in areas with tourism potential that have yet to be exploited," Marrero added on a final note.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 19:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Delight in the best Cuba has to offer with this stunning beach and city twin centre holiday
- Add Havana half-day tour from £49pp, taking in Revolution Square, Malecón and the UNESCO World Heritage Site of Old Havana
- Iberostar Tainos is designed in the style of a traditional Caribbean village with two-storey bungalows that comprise spacious and elegant rooms
- Enjoy a historic stay in Havana at the NH Capri Hotel, which opened in 1957 and was initially run by the mafia
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
A superb combination of great accommodation and exciting activities make this resort one of Cuba's hottest properties
- Previous winner of the Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence, and ranked in the top 5 Hotels in Varadero
- Full range of Spa treatments for a more relaxing break, or a selection of water and land sports to choose from for the more active traveller
- Enjoy a range of tours and excursions
- Couples can benefit from a free bottle of sparkling wine and a romantic dinner for two, plus a 30 min massage per couple
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
- Blau Varadero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 28th Feb
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
One of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the Capri is a legendary property with over...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Start your holiday at The Melia Habana Hotel, located in the heart of the elegant Miramar district, overlooking the sea....
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Club Kawama depicts a traditional hacienda type atmosphere, but in actual fact it's an All Inclusive resort. Beautifully...
Escape to Cuba on your next holiday and book a stay at the Villa Tortuga Hotel in Varadero. It is an all inclusive hotel...