Cuba holidays enjoying the most successful period
Cuba holidays are currently experienced an unprecedented boost in popularity as the island registers the 4 most successful consecutive months in the history of Cuba travel since the country starting working in generating tourism from abroad.
The holiday industry in Cuba seems to be enjoying a good momentum as the popularity of Cuba has been steadily rising since the beginning of 2010, with the number of tourist arrivals having increased for the first quarter of year. The amount of worldwide travellers taking Cuba holidays has grown to unprecedented margins as the island government reports the most successful 4 months in the history of Cuba travel since the island started promoting tourism as an important source of income for the country.
Cuba’s Tourism Minister Manuel Marrero reported that more than 1.05 million foreigners had come on Cuba holidays as of the end of April, signalling the most-successful four-month span since Cuba began promoting large-scale tourism from abroad.
Addressing a large group of tourism officials attending Cuba's annual FITCUBA 2010 tourism fair, which is being held this week at the Morro Castle in Havana, a Spanish fort built in centuries ago, that guards the sea entrance to Havana, Marrero also said Cuba may exceed the 2.5 million target of foreign visitors arriving in the country in 2010.
"We began with January and February really bad - bad because of the financial crisis, because of many factors," Marrero told his audience. "But March and April have been very good."
Last year, Cuban tourism rose 3.5%, with more than 2.4 million tourists visiting the island, mostly from Europe and Canada, despite the global recession (also largely due to the competitive prices Cuba holidays offered in comparison to other Caribbean holiday destinations).
According to Marrero, 50% more Cuban-Americans visited early this year than during the same period last year, but offered no statistics regarding this segment of the Cuba holiday market. He added that Cuba currently has 50,000 hotel rooms nationwide, many in establishments jointly operated by the government and private companies in Europe.
Marrero also said that in order to generate further growth in Cuba holidays, the government has approved construction of residential projects linked to resorts. He said the government has green-lighted "real estate for tourist purposes."
Investment firms in Canada and Europe have proposed building golf courses coupled with luxury housing under long-term leases with Cuba's government.The decision would allow Cuba's "entrance into new segments and the realization of investments in areas with tourism potential that have yet to be exploited," Marrero added on a final note.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Delight in the best Cuba has to offer with this stunning beach and city twin centre holiday
- Add Havana half-day tour from £49pp, taking in Revolution Square, Malecón and the UNESCO World Heritage Site of Old Havana
- Iberostar Tainos is designed in the style of a traditional Caribbean village with two-storey bungalows that comprise spacious and elegant rooms
- Enjoy a historic stay in Havana at the NH Capri Hotel, which opened in 1957 and was initially run by the mafia
Discover the relaxing Varadero and sink into sublim tranquillity
- Experience the beauty of Varadero Beach where you can relax and unwind on the tranquil white sandy beaches whilst enjoying the 24-hrs All-inclusive offered at the Luxurious Iberostar Varadero
- Stay in Havana's most highly rated hotel, with an iconic location facing Central Park
- Discover Cuba whilst staying at the 2 Top rated TripAdvisor hotels in Cuba
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Fall in love with Havana and its captivating heritage before being dazzled by the pristine shores of Varadero
- This package offers little touches to make your holiday extra special including a Welcome cocktail and a bottle of cava on arrival in Havana and Varadero
- You will be staying in luxurious hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly and offer the best of both worlds whether you are looking for adventure or relaxation
- Experience the best of the world famous Varadero Beach where white sand is lapped by the clear waters when staying at Melia Varadero
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Travel to one of Cuba's hidden touristic gems, Varadero, where stretches of secluded beach await you at Blau Varadero....
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Club Kawama depicts a traditional hacienda type atmosphere, but in actual fact it's an All Inclusive resort. Beautifully...