Six Senses' Sustainable Tourism Conference to be held in Maldives
Six Senses' second Eco Symposium is scheduled to be held from the 7-10 October, 2010 in the Maldives. The leading eco-resort Soneva Fushi by Six Senses will be the selected location to host the event.
At Six Senses’ next Eco Symposium important questions will be raised, questions like: How does luxury equate with sustainability? What steps can be taken to reduce emissions whilst maintaining profitability? How can high-end tourism and luxury holidays survive in a low-carbon world?
These and other pressing questions about the environment will be addressed by world leading industry consultants, environmentalists, politicians and tourist bodies at the Symposium, the second of its kind for Six Senses and which this time will be held at their Soneva Fushi resort in the Maldives from 7th-10th October 2010.
Leading figures addressing the future of sustainable Maldives holidays include Maldivian President Mr. Mohamed Nasheed who will lead the conference and deliver a keynote speech outlining the country’s commitment to carbon neutrality by 2020 and the role of tourism and the Maldives holidays industry in delivering that goal. Other speakers will include Jonathan Porritt, a leading UK environmentalist, Mark Lynas, President Nasheed’s advisor on climate change, James Cameron of the carbon-trading business Climate Change Capital Professor Geoffrey Lipman of UNWTO and Solar Century CEO Jeremy Leggett.
The main objective of the Eco Symposium is to bring together travel and tourism industry leaders and to inspire them to take on responsible business practices and adapt them to climate change for the future of sustainable Maldives holidays.
The Soneva Fushi hotel already leads the way in decarbonising tourism, setting a fine example in the Maldives holidays industry for other Maldives hotels to follow.
Founded in 1995, from the early beginning, Six Senses has worked very hard to set the standard in the hospitality industry both in terms of luxury and environmental responsibility. Being the selected venue for hosting such an important conference, this outstanding eco-resort, is well on its way to becoming a Carbon Zero resort, while still offering impeccable Maldives luxury holidays.
In a recent article published by The Economist, President Nasheed of The Maldives outlined his government’s 10 year carbon neautral strategy whilst singling out Soneva Fushi for its ground-breaking green initiatives:
“Soneva Fushi… will become the world’s first carbon-neutral tourist resort. It will host a symposium to demonstrate how, through a combination of technical wizardry and commonsense solutions, it has slashed carbon emissions, putting to bed the myth that luxury necessarily equates with environmental degradation.”
Since being elected to office in 2008, Nasheed has become an internationally-renowned advocate for environmental protection, especially given the Maldives’ vulnerability in the face of rising sea levels. “The Maldives is on the climate change front line,” said Nasheed. “But what happens to the Maldives today happens to the rest of the world tomorrow. We need to help steer the world towards the carbon neutral path and the Maldives aims to set a global example by embracing low-carbon development.”
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Maldives Browse all
See what the Maldives really has to offer at Velassaru Maldives, with a great array of excursions.
- Fantastic selection of excursions from night snorkelling to fishing to a trip to Male to having an island all to yourself!
- As well as chilling on the beach or visiting the Spa, why not go an practice the ancient art of Yoga?
- Five wonderful dining venues and two exciting bars means you have a range of options depending on what mood you are in
Sun Island is al elegant and serene paradise in the Indian Ocean whilst Media Rotana is perfectly positioned for you to explore the wonders of Dubai.
- Both properties have restaurants that cover dishes from around the world
- Media Rotana is perfectly located in the centre of Dubai, within easy reach of shopping centres, the gold souk and Dubai's famous creek
- Sun Island lies in the South Ari Atoll, and is surrounded by wide beaches of fine sand and offshore waters that house underwater gardens full of marine life
Relax and unwind on Paradise Island before picking up the pace in glamorous Dubai enjoy the Duty free shopping
- Take a dip in the turquoise lagoon or the onsite pool, go snorkelling and windsurfing or opt for land sports recreation
- Your Dubai abode sits close to the Mall of the Emirates and a short ride to the famous Jumeirah Beach
- Paradise Island accommodation are Bungalows with direct access to the beach or Water Bungalows with private sun terrace
Follow secret pathways through tropical gardens, savour exquisite cuisine, scuba dive to spot whale sharks or simply chill on the sands...
- Take your pick from 7 exquisite restaurants and 6 lively bars
- Enjoy access to some of Maldives' most beautiful dive sites and explore the depths of the Indian Ocean
- Special touches include: cinema screenings on the beach, secret bars and a message in a bottle with a hidden surprise
The Nalaguraidhoo Island of the Maldives is one of the most sublime coastal landscapes you'll ever lay eyes, what with...
Let everything go as you observe breath-taking landscapes during a relaxing stay at the amazing Velassaru Maldives...
Venture to the Lhaviyani Atoll in the Maldives islands to experience a holiday like no other. This section of the...
Escape from day-to-day life for a while and take refuge in the Asian paradise of the Maldives while you spend 8 days...
True Maldivian style comes to the fore at Reethi Beach Resort, situated on the tiny Baa Atoll. The PADI 5-star Dive...
Get away from the mundane and enjoy eight days of uninterrupted sun and sand on the shores of one of the most sought...