Six Senses' Sustainable Tourism Conference to be held in Maldives
Six Senses' second Eco Symposium is scheduled to be held from the 7-10 October, 2010 in the Maldives. The leading eco-resort Soneva Fushi by Six Senses will be the selected location to host the event.
At Six Senses’ next Eco Symposium important questions will be raised, questions like: How does luxury equate with sustainability? What steps can be taken to reduce emissions whilst maintaining profitability? How can high-end tourism and luxury holidays survive in a low-carbon world?
These and other pressing questions about the environment will be addressed by world leading industry consultants, environmentalists, politicians and tourist bodies at the Symposium, the second of its kind for Six Senses and which this time will be held at their Soneva Fushi resort in the Maldives from 7th-10th October 2010.
Leading figures addressing the future of sustainable Maldives holidays include Maldivian President Mr. Mohamed Nasheed who will lead the conference and deliver a keynote speech outlining the country’s commitment to carbon neutrality by 2020 and the role of tourism and the Maldives holidays industry in delivering that goal. Other speakers will include Jonathan Porritt, a leading UK environmentalist, Mark Lynas, President Nasheed’s advisor on climate change, James Cameron of the carbon-trading business Climate Change Capital Professor Geoffrey Lipman of UNWTO and Solar Century CEO Jeremy Leggett.
The main objective of the Eco Symposium is to bring together travel and tourism industry leaders and to inspire them to take on responsible business practices and adapt them to climate change for the future of sustainable Maldives holidays.
The Soneva Fushi hotel already leads the way in decarbonising tourism, setting a fine example in the Maldives holidays industry for other Maldives hotels to follow.
Founded in 1995, from the early beginning, Six Senses has worked very hard to set the standard in the hospitality industry both in terms of luxury and environmental responsibility. Being the selected venue for hosting such an important conference, this outstanding eco-resort, is well on its way to becoming a Carbon Zero resort, while still offering impeccable Maldives luxury holidays.
In a recent article published by The Economist, President Nasheed of The Maldives outlined his government’s 10 year carbon neautral strategy whilst singling out Soneva Fushi for its ground-breaking green initiatives:
“Soneva Fushi… will become the world’s first carbon-neutral tourist resort. It will host a symposium to demonstrate how, through a combination of technical wizardry and commonsense solutions, it has slashed carbon emissions, putting to bed the myth that luxury necessarily equates with environmental degradation.”
Since being elected to office in 2008, Nasheed has become an internationally-renowned advocate for environmental protection, especially given the Maldives’ vulnerability in the face of rising sea levels. “The Maldives is on the climate change front line,” said Nasheed. “But what happens to the Maldives today happens to the rest of the world tomorrow. We need to help steer the world towards the carbon neutral path and the Maldives aims to set a global example by embracing low-carbon development.”
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Maldives Browse all
See what the Maldives really has to offer at Velassaru Maldives, with a great array of excursions.
- Fantastic selection of excursions from night snorkelling to fishing to a trip to Male to having an island all to yourself!
- As well as chilling on the beach or visiting the Spa, why not go an practice the ancient art of Yoga?
- Five wonderful dining venues and two exciting bars means you have a range of options depending on what mood you are in
Explore an underwater world of breathtaking beauty and laze on the finest white sands at Sun Island Resort, a tropical paradise of peace and serenity.
- exclusive rate reduction for our clients
- Enjoy endless activities including scuba diving, snorkelling, water-skiing and more
- Tickle your taste buds with rich flavours and innovative cuisine that incorporates exotic Thai and Oriental influences
Do the castaway experience in style and live your Robinson Crusoe dream
- Lose yourself in over 3 km of pristine beaches and aquamarine lagoons
- Beautiful bungalows nestled in the tropical gardens or on the beach, right over the lagoon
- Sample mouth-watering delights at a wide selection of dining options from flavours of the Orient to Mediterranean delights
Follow secret pathways through tropical gardens, savour exquisite cuisine, scuba dive to spot whale sharks or simply chill on the sands...
- Special touches include: cinema screenings on the beach, secret bars and a message in a bottle with a hidden surprise
- Enjoy access to some of Maldives' most beautiful dive sites and explore the depths of the Indian Ocean
- Take your pick from seven exquisite restaurants and six lively bars
The Nalaguraidhoo Island of the Maldives is one of the most sublime coastal landscapes you'll ever lay eyes, what with...
Venture to the Lhaviyani Atoll in the Maldives islands to experience a holiday like no other. This section of the...
If you are looking for serenity and tranquillity coupled with luxurious elegance, then Adaaran Select Meedhupparu is the...
Escape from day-to-day life for a while and take refuge in the Asian paradise of the Maldives while you spend 8 days...
Located on Lankanfinolhu Island in the North Male Atoll, Paradise Island is one of the largest resorts in the Maldives....
Let all concerns leave your mind while you spend 8 days of peace and relaxation at the Royal Island hotel in the...