Government sets record straight for travel insurance during Cuba holidays
A more specific and detailed statement has been released by the Cuban Government with regards to the new compulsory travel insurance policy which came onto force 1st May 2010.
Clearing up many doubts travellers still have about the new travel insurance policy for Cuba holidays, the Cuban government issued a directive to visitors on the topic, revealing more details and specifying how much the actual insurance would cost if bought upon arrival to the island.
On their part, Cayman Airways is also collaborating as they have issued an advisory to its passengers travelling to Havana. For all those flying to Cuba holidays as of today 1st May, 2010 all visitors entering the country are now required by the Cuban Government to present evidence of holding valid medical insurance with coverage in Cuba.
Travellers not meeting this requirement upong arrival to Cuba holidays can, upon their entry in Cuba, take out a policy from Cuban insurance companies at the airport, which will be available 24 hours a day, al year-round.
Finally the cost has been revealed to be approximately US$3.40 per day, which covers medical expenses for sickness and accidents up to the value of approximately S$28,000 and Repatriation and Transportation up to about US$7,840.
According to the Cuban government’s website, over 80% of visitors to Cuba whether coming for Cuba holidays or to see friends and familiy, have insurance coverage from companies at their countries of origin covering their medical expenses in the country, but the website also noted that US insurance companies do not provide coverage in the Cuban national territory.
Upon demand after their arrival, travelers shall present a policy, insurance certificate or travelling assistance card valid for the time span they will stay enjoying Cuba holidays.
The website further states that in case of any medical emergency, the Cuban health system guarantees the necessary medical care through a network of policlinics and hospitals, covering every corner of the island. Primary health care is also provided in most of hotel facilities.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Enjoy the exciting nightlife the Melia Marina Varadero Hotel has to offer, whilst relaxing during the day in the beautiful accommodation
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 10th Jul 2017
- Melia Marina Varadero Hotel is ideally located 300m from the beach in an ecological reserve with a dolphinarium and caves to explore
- Incredible all-inclusive benefits with dining at 9 restaurants at Melia Marina Varadero Hotel
- Excellent watersports facilities including yachting, fishing and diving
- Book now and get a free upgrade to the sea view at Melia Habana - limited availability
The unlimited heaven of tranquility in a perfect setting
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
Stay in two top ranked hotels on a twin centre holiday that blends luxury and historically perfectly to create a holiday of a lifetime
- Take advantage of an amazing room upgrade from a Standard Room to a Sea View Room at NH Capri
- Stay in two of the top ranked hotels in Cuba, perfectly paired to offer you a holiday like no other
- Royalton Hicacos is a luxurious resort located one of the finest beaches in Varadero where there is a little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa and activity program
- NH Capri is located in the heart of cultural Havana and is embroiled in history being one of the most popular hotels with the gangsters of the 1950’s
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
This 1920s colonial house is surrounded by lush vegetation and terrace areas and boasts a stunning array of antiques,...
Look out onto the day to day life of Havana's streets from the Casa Santy's balconies, with its great location and a...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...