Government sets record straight for travel insurance during Cuba holidays
A more specific and detailed statement has been released by the Cuban Government with regards to the new compulsory travel insurance policy which came onto force 1st May 2010.
Clearing up many doubts travellers still have about the new travel insurance policy for Cuba holidays, the Cuban government issued a directive to visitors on the topic, revealing more details and specifying how much the actual insurance would cost if bought upon arrival to the island.
On their part, Cayman Airways is also collaborating as they have issued an advisory to its passengers travelling to Havana. For all those flying to Cuba holidays as of today 1st May, 2010 all visitors entering the country are now required by the Cuban Government to present evidence of holding valid medical insurance with coverage in Cuba.
Travellers not meeting this requirement upong arrival to Cuba holidays can, upon their entry in Cuba, take out a policy from Cuban insurance companies at the airport, which will be available 24 hours a day, al year-round.
Finally the cost has been revealed to be approximately US$3.40 per day, which covers medical expenses for sickness and accidents up to the value of approximately S$28,000 and Repatriation and Transportation up to about US$7,840.
According to the Cuban government’s website, over 80% of visitors to Cuba whether coming for Cuba holidays or to see friends and familiy, have insurance coverage from companies at their countries of origin covering their medical expenses in the country, but the website also noted that US insurance companies do not provide coverage in the Cuban national territory.
Upon demand after their arrival, travelers shall present a policy, insurance certificate or travelling assistance card valid for the time span they will stay enjoying Cuba holidays.
The website further states that in case of any medical emergency, the Cuban health system guarantees the necessary medical care through a network of policlinics and hospitals, covering every corner of the island. Primary health care is also provided in most of hotel facilities.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Dive into the warm water of Varadero beach and relax under the caribbean sunshine
- Enjoy a fantastic tour
- Book now and benefit from huge savings with the launch of the new Virgin Atlantic to Varadero offer!
- Suites feature a separate living area and Tropical suites feature breathtaking views of the sea
- Golf lovers can play on the nearby Varadero 18 hole golf course
Stay at a Havana hotel brimming with history then head off to a brand-new beachfront resort in Varadero
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
The unlimited heaven of tranquility in a perfect setting
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
One of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the Capri is a legendary property with over...
Soak up the history of Havana as well as the magnificence of Varadero beach on an unforgettable twin centre holiday to...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Take a holiday to enjoy the abundant natural beauty of one of Cuba's leading resorts, Varadero. This locale is known for...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...