Government sets record straight for travel insurance during Cuba holidays
A more specific and detailed statement has been released by the Cuban Government with regards to the new compulsory travel insurance policy which came onto force 1st May 2010.
Clearing up many doubts travellers still have about the new travel insurance policy for Cuba holidays, the Cuban government issued a directive to visitors on the topic, revealing more details and specifying how much the actual insurance would cost if bought upon arrival to the island.
On their part, Cayman Airways is also collaborating as they have issued an advisory to its passengers travelling to Havana. For all those flying to Cuba holidays as of today 1st May, 2010 all visitors entering the country are now required by the Cuban Government to present evidence of holding valid medical insurance with coverage in Cuba.
Travellers not meeting this requirement upong arrival to Cuba holidays can, upon their entry in Cuba, take out a policy from Cuban insurance companies at the airport, which will be available 24 hours a day, al year-round.
Finally the cost has been revealed to be approximately US$3.40 per day, which covers medical expenses for sickness and accidents up to the value of approximately S$28,000 and Repatriation and Transportation up to about US$7,840.
According to the Cuban government’s website, over 80% of visitors to Cuba whether coming for Cuba holidays or to see friends and familiy, have insurance coverage from companies at their countries of origin covering their medical expenses in the country, but the website also noted that US insurance companies do not provide coverage in the Cuban national territory.
Upon demand after their arrival, travelers shall present a policy, insurance certificate or travelling assistance card valid for the time span they will stay enjoying Cuba holidays.
The website further states that in case of any medical emergency, the Cuban health system guarantees the necessary medical care through a network of policlinics and hospitals, covering every corner of the island. Primary health care is also provided in most of hotel facilities.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
A superb combination of great accommodation and exciting activities make this resort one of Cuba's hottest properties
- Enjoy a complimentary Cultural Presentation
- Previous winner of the Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence, and ranked in the top 5 Hotels in Varadero
- Full range of Spa treatments for a more relaxing break, or a selection of water and land sports to choose from for the more active traveller
- Couples can benefit from a free bottle of sparkling wine and a romantic dinner for two, plus a 30 min massage per couple
Stay at a Havana hotel brimming with history then head off to a brand-new beachfront resort in Varadero
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
The unlimited heaven of tranquility in a perfect setting
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
Soak up the history of Havana as well as the magnificence of Varadero beach on an unforgettable twin centre holiday to...
One of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the Capri is a legendary property with over...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
This 1920s colonial house is surrounded by lush vegetation and terrace areas and boasts a stunning array of antiques,...
Look out onto the day to day life of Havana's streets from the Casa Santy's balconies, with its great location and a...