Travellers on Cuba holidays must have travel insurance under new Cuban law
All travellers taking Cuba holidays from this Saturday 1 May will have to ensure they have a travel insurance policy in place which adequately covers medical evacuation by air if anything should happen during their stay.
The Cuban government have said that the new rule applies to Cubans living abroad as well as tourists on Cuba holidays and will be enforced from this weekend. However, there is confusion over which travel policies are valid after the Cuban Ministry of Foreign Affairs originally stated that it would require travellers to obtain policies from a select list of providers but travel companies and British insurance companies are struggling to get hold of the list.
Managing Director of tour operator, Captivating Cuba, Steve Diederich, said:
"Clarification on who these approved insurers are, the cost of policies and the method of payment is proving notoriously difficult to come across. This is somewhat typical of Cuba. Much of what appeals about the country – its old-fashioned air, its exotic chaos – can also frustrate at times."
The new rule requires anyone planning to travel to Cuba or take holidays in Cuba to ensure that they have travel insurance which covers the duration of the trip as well medical evacuation by air. Travellers will need also to ensure that their policy is valid for travel through four nations which are deemed dangerous by underwriters and include Cuba, Afghanistan, Sudan, and Liberia.
Those on Cuba holidays who arrive in Cuba without the valid insurance will have the opportunity to purchase a policy from a Cuban insurance company but the cover might not cover as much as many UK policies and could work out to be much more expensive.
The British Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) urge travellers to make sure they have the right cover from a UK insurance company before they embark on their Cuba holidays.
In a statement on their website, the FOC said:
"The medical facilities in Havana are better than those available elsewhere in Cuba, but it is sometimes necessary to medically evacuate those who require urgent specialist care," it said in a statement on its website.
"This can be very expensive so you should ensure that your medical insurance covers you for this. If you require medical treatment you will be expected to pay in hard currency; a basic hospital stay can cost as much as £200 per day plus medical expenses."
Tourists planning to take Cuba holidays should also ensure that any existing medical conditions they have are covered in their insurance policy.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 17:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Dive into the warm water of Varadero beach and relax under the caribbean sunshine
- Enjoy a fantastic tour
- Book now and benefit from huge savings with the launch of the new Virgin Atlantic to Varadero offer!
- Suites feature a separate living area and Tropical suites feature breathtaking views of the sea
- Golf lovers can play on the nearby Varadero 18 hole golf course
Enjoy a wide range of added values, fun activities or relax and lie under the sun on exclusive private beach area in Varadero
- Never waste a minute of your holiday and enjoy all fun activities from waters sports to golf lessons at Bella Costa
- Memories Miramar Hotel has a fantastic location and is only a 5-minute walk from the nearest beach
- Experience Varadero to the fullest with fantastic options for couples, families or singles as there is something to suit everyone
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 4th May 2017
The unlimited heaven of tranquility in a perfect setting
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
One of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the Capri is a legendary property with over...
Soak up the history of Havana as well as the magnificence of Varadero beach on an unforgettable twin centre holiday to...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
This 1920s colonial house is surrounded by lush vegetation and terrace areas and boasts a stunning array of antiques,...
Fancy a charming and adventurous holiday? Why not try our twin centre package that allows you to explore the contagious...