Travellers on Cuba holidays must have travel insurance under new Cuban law
All travellers taking Cuba holidays from this Saturday 1 May will have to ensure they have a travel insurance policy in place which adequately covers medical evacuation by air if anything should happen during their stay.
The Cuban government have said that the new rule applies to Cubans living abroad as well as tourists on Cuba holidays and will be enforced from this weekend. However, there is confusion over which travel policies are valid after the Cuban Ministry of Foreign Affairs originally stated that it would require travellers to obtain policies from a select list of providers but travel companies and British insurance companies are struggling to get hold of the list.
Managing Director of tour operator, Captivating Cuba, Steve Diederich, said:
"Clarification on who these approved insurers are, the cost of policies and the method of payment is proving notoriously difficult to come across. This is somewhat typical of Cuba. Much of what appeals about the country – its old-fashioned air, its exotic chaos – can also frustrate at times."
The new rule requires anyone planning to travel to Cuba or take holidays in Cuba to ensure that they have travel insurance which covers the duration of the trip as well medical evacuation by air. Travellers will need also to ensure that their policy is valid for travel through four nations which are deemed dangerous by underwriters and include Cuba, Afghanistan, Sudan, and Liberia.
Those on Cuba holidays who arrive in Cuba without the valid insurance will have the opportunity to purchase a policy from a Cuban insurance company but the cover might not cover as much as many UK policies and could work out to be much more expensive.
The British Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) urge travellers to make sure they have the right cover from a UK insurance company before they embark on their Cuba holidays.
In a statement on their website, the FOC said:
"The medical facilities in Havana are better than those available elsewhere in Cuba, but it is sometimes necessary to medically evacuate those who require urgent specialist care," it said in a statement on its website.
"This can be very expensive so you should ensure that your medical insurance covers you for this. If you require medical treatment you will be expected to pay in hard currency; a basic hospital stay can cost as much as £200 per day plus medical expenses."
Tourists planning to take Cuba holidays should also ensure that any existing medical conditions they have are covered in their insurance policy.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Escape to Cuba's sunkissed sands and enjoy what Starfish Varadero has to offer for an amazing price!
- Stay entertained with daily activities, land sports, water sports and lively shows
- Located on one of the best beaches in Varadero
- Excellent selection of 4 restaurants, 3 a la carte and a choice of 4 bars
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
- Book now and get a free upgrade to the sea view at Blau Varadero - limited availability
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
- Blau Vardero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
A superb combination of great accommodation and exciting activities make this resort one of Cuba's hottest properties
- Book now and get a free upgrade to the sea view - limited availability
- Enjoy a complimentary Cultural Presentation
- Previous winner of the Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence, and ranked in the top 5 Hotels in Varadero
- Full range of Spa treatments for a more relaxing break, or a selection of water and land sports to choose from for the more active traveller
- Couples can benefit from a free bottle of sparkling wine and a romantic dinner for two, plus a 30 min massage per couple
The unlimited heaven of tranquility in a perfect setting
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
This 1920s colonial house is surrounded by lush vegetation and terrace areas and boasts a stunning array of antiques,...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...