Caribbean Airlines to operate eight of Air Jamaica's Caribbean flights
The deal to bring two major airlines together to provide a larger number of Caribbean flights has been completed as Caribbean Airlines and Air Jamaica join forces with the help of $300 million from the government of Jamaica.
Details of the deal were unveiled a news briefing at the Carlton Savannah hotel in Cascade, Jamaica on Wednesday which was held by the chairman of Caribbean Airlines, Arthur Lok Jack. The deal will cost Caribbean Airline $300 million (US$59 million) to acquire and operate six of Air Jamaica''s aircraft and eight of its routes which provide Caribbean holidays and Caribbean flights for millions of travellers each year.
Air Jamaica will keep hold of 1,000 of its 1,800 employees who will run the operations acquired by Caribbean Airlines as part of the deal. Lok Jack confirmed: "We are taking over the routes from the first of May, that is Saturday coming."
The $300 million has been approved by the Cabinet and will go towards operating capital and expenditure. The Jamaica government will have a 16 percent share in the company and the remaining 84 percent will be acquired by the Government of Trinidad and Tobago. Caribbean Airlines are expecting to now operate ten weekly Caribbean flights between Jamaica, the Caymans, The Bahamas and North America.
The eight routes operated by Caribbean Airlines and the Air Jamaica will be Kingston to Ft Lauderdale, Kingston to Toronto, Kingston to Nassau, Kingston to New York, Montego Bay to Philadelphia, Montego Bay to New York, Kingston to Grand Cayman, and Montego Bay to Fort Lauderdale.
Travellers who have booked ticket with Air Jamaica for their travel to the Caribbean will still continue to be greeted by Air Jamaica Caribbean flights as the transition is expected to take between three and six months. Caribbean Airlines will also take up Air Jamaica''s frequent flyer programme. The fleet of aircraft from Air Jamaica will also keep their name and logo until Caribbean Airlines purchase or lease a new fleet from Airbus of Boeing later in the year.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 17:30 GMT
Popular Holidays Browse all
Treat your family to an unforgettable Arabian adventure and make a splash at the world's most extravagant aquatic hotel!
- Free Half Board with a huge range of dining options
- Free access to Aquaventure and Lost Chambers
- Experience the culinary gourmet adventure with over 22 world-class restaurants, lounges and bars including the Michelin star restaurant Nobu
Relax and unwind at this stunning resort without having to dig deep in your pocket.
- A fantastic all-inclusive programme with great the entertainment options including kids and teen club
- Luxury and comfortable accommodations with a spectacular views of the crystal blue Arabian Gulf
- Enjoy the secluded, glorious location on the beautiful, tranquil and pristine Marjan Island
Discover Be Live Collection Punta Cana's pristine white beaches, swaying palms and pulsating Latin vibe
Enjoy a fabulous holiday by the sparkling turquoise beaches of Punta Cana where you'll find endless fun as well as plenty of relaxing options
- Enjoy 24-Hour All-Inclusive Service
- Enjoy unlimited access to a fantastic beach that's perfect for snorkelling
- Great facilities for all the family plus children stay for half the price
Prepare to be wowed and dazzled by mystical encounters, ancient cities, marvellous wonders and unique sites as you discover the real and magical Jordan.
- Enjoy a stop-off at Mount Nebo where Prophet Moses viewed the Promised Land
- Visit the Dead Sea & enjoy a drive along the 2000-year-old Kings Highway
- Experience Petra, a UNESCO World Heritage Site, recently voted as one of the New 7 Wonders of the World
One of the most sought-after locations in the magical city of Dubai is the artificial island of Jumeirah. Enjoy the...
Uncover the charms of India as you spend eight days touring some of its most important touristic sites. The Golden...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Located by the picturesque St. Paul's Bay, Porto Azzurro Hotel is only 10 minutes away from Malta's main sandy beaches...
The Gloria Hotel & Apartments is a stunning suite and apartment hotel that is ideally located in the heart of...
A charming little retreat right at the heart of Tunis, Le Pacha is centrally located to give you easy access to all of...