Caribbean Airlines to operate eight of Air Jamaica's Caribbean flights
The deal to bring two major airlines together to provide a larger number of Caribbean flights has been completed as Caribbean Airlines and Air Jamaica join forces with the help of $300 million from the government of Jamaica.
Details of the deal were unveiled a news briefing at the Carlton Savannah hotel in Cascade, Jamaica on Wednesday which was held by the chairman of Caribbean Airlines, Arthur Lok Jack. The deal will cost Caribbean Airline $300 million (US$59 million) to acquire and operate six of Air Jamaica''s aircraft and eight of its routes which provide Caribbean holidays and Caribbean flights for millions of travellers each year.
Air Jamaica will keep hold of 1,000 of its 1,800 employees who will run the operations acquired by Caribbean Airlines as part of the deal. Lok Jack confirmed: "We are taking over the routes from the first of May, that is Saturday coming."
The $300 million has been approved by the Cabinet and will go towards operating capital and expenditure. The Jamaica government will have a 16 percent share in the company and the remaining 84 percent will be acquired by the Government of Trinidad and Tobago. Caribbean Airlines are expecting to now operate ten weekly Caribbean flights between Jamaica, the Caymans, The Bahamas and North America.
The eight routes operated by Caribbean Airlines and the Air Jamaica will be Kingston to Ft Lauderdale, Kingston to Toronto, Kingston to Nassau, Kingston to New York, Montego Bay to Philadelphia, Montego Bay to New York, Kingston to Grand Cayman, and Montego Bay to Fort Lauderdale.
Travellers who have booked ticket with Air Jamaica for their travel to the Caribbean will still continue to be greeted by Air Jamaica Caribbean flights as the transition is expected to take between three and six months. Caribbean Airlines will also take up Air Jamaica''s frequent flyer programme. The fleet of aircraft from Air Jamaica will also keep their name and logo until Caribbean Airlines purchase or lease a new fleet from Airbus of Boeing later in the year.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays Browse all
Relax and unwind at this stunning resort without having to dig deep in your pocket.
- Luxury and comfortable accommodations with a spectacular views of the crystal blue Arabian Gulf
- A fantastic all-inclusive programme with great entertainment options including kids and teen club
- Enjoy the secluded, glorious location on the beautiful, tranquil and pristine Marjan Island
Treat your family to an unforgettable Arabian adventure and make a splash at the world's most extravagant aquatic hotel!
- Free Half Board with a huge range of dining options
- Free access to Aquaventure and Lost Chambers
- Experience the culinary gourmet adventure with over 22 world-class restaurants, lounges and bars including the Michelin star restaurant Nobu
For an amazing price, you can experience a tropical paradise where everything is included - Ambre Resort offers affordable luxury for all to enjoy
- Make the most of glass-bottomed boat trips, kayaking, snorkelling and green fees at the nearby Ile aux Cerfs Golf Club
- Enjoy a selection of restaurants and Bars inlcuding a swim-up bar
- Ambre resort has stunning views of the Indian Ocean and boasts a 750-metre long white natural beach
Use up to $2000 resort credit to indulge in spa treatments, golf sessions or a selection of excursions that will make your Cancun holiday truly unforgettable.
- Duran Duran in concert at Moon Palace on 29th December (tickets additional cost)
- Winner of the Trip Advisor 2015 Travellers Choice Award
- Enjoy the impressive $2000 Resort Credit per booking that you can spend on golf, spa treatments, dolphin swims, visit to Chichen Itza, Express Tour of Tulum, Family fun days out at the Wet 'N' Wild Waterpark and much more
- Whether you are looking for an active holiday or a relaxing break, Moon Palace Resort is an ideal destination for travellers of all ages
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Discover the cultural and historical treasures of Havana as you're treated to 5-star service at the Iberostar Parque...
Situated just minutes from the Bugibba promenade, Sunflower hotel enjoys an excellent location in the popular area of...
With a good location next to the city centre and the medina, this charming hotel will put you in close proximity to the...