Caribbean Airlines to operate eight of Air Jamaica's Caribbean flights
The deal to bring two major airlines together to provide a larger number of Caribbean flights has been completed as Caribbean Airlines and Air Jamaica join forces with the help of $300 million from the government of Jamaica.
Details of the deal were unveiled a news briefing at the Carlton Savannah hotel in Cascade, Jamaica on Wednesday which was held by the chairman of Caribbean Airlines, Arthur Lok Jack. The deal will cost Caribbean Airline $300 million (US$59 million) to acquire and operate six of Air Jamaica''s aircraft and eight of its routes which provide Caribbean holidays and Caribbean flights for millions of travellers each year.
Air Jamaica will keep hold of 1,000 of its 1,800 employees who will run the operations acquired by Caribbean Airlines as part of the deal. Lok Jack confirmed: "We are taking over the routes from the first of May, that is Saturday coming."
The $300 million has been approved by the Cabinet and will go towards operating capital and expenditure. The Jamaica government will have a 16 percent share in the company and the remaining 84 percent will be acquired by the Government of Trinidad and Tobago. Caribbean Airlines are expecting to now operate ten weekly Caribbean flights between Jamaica, the Caymans, The Bahamas and North America.
The eight routes operated by Caribbean Airlines and the Air Jamaica will be Kingston to Ft Lauderdale, Kingston to Toronto, Kingston to Nassau, Kingston to New York, Montego Bay to Philadelphia, Montego Bay to New York, Kingston to Grand Cayman, and Montego Bay to Fort Lauderdale.
Travellers who have booked ticket with Air Jamaica for their travel to the Caribbean will still continue to be greeted by Air Jamaica Caribbean flights as the transition is expected to take between three and six months. Caribbean Airlines will also take up Air Jamaica''s frequent flyer programme. The fleet of aircraft from Air Jamaica will also keep their name and logo until Caribbean Airlines purchase or lease a new fleet from Airbus of Boeing later in the year.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays Browse all
Treat your family to an unforgettable Arabian adventure and make a splash at the world's most extravagant aquatic hotel!
- Free Half Board with a huge range of dining options
- Free access to Aquaventure and Lost Chambers
- Experience the culinary gourmet adventure with over 22 world-class restaurants, lounges and bars including the Michelin star restaurant Nobu
Spend wonderful days exploring India's most iconic landmarks, diving deep into a world of wonder with a wealth of spectacular sights to discover
- Enjoy a traditional rickshaw ride in Old Delhi, see the majestic Taj Mahal in Agra, experience a feast to remember with a traditional Rajasthani family dinner in vibrant Jaipur and much more
- An English-Speaking local Guide will take you around the sightseeing & excursion tours as per the itinerary
- Includes entrance fees at all monuments as per the itinerary
Fun and relaxation for all the family - there's something for everyone at Laguna Beach, come and discover it for yourself.
- Romantic boutique hotel at the beautiful Fisherman's Cove
- Winner of TripAdvisor Certificate of Excellence for three years in a row
- Complimentary watersport like glass bottom boat, windsurfing, kayaks, snorkeling and more
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Uncover the charms of India as you spend eight days touring some of its most important touristic sites. The Golden...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Soak up the history of Havana as well as the magnificence of Varadero beach on an unforgettable twin centre holiday to...
Situated just minutes from the Bugibba promenade, Sunflower hotel enjoys an excellent location in the popular area of...
The 4* Ramada Deira hotel boasts comfortable, modern and grand interiors and facilities, as well as easy access to the...
Located in the city centre business district, the DoubleTree by Hilton Ras Al Khaimah combines stylish accommodation and...