Gotravel urging travellers to buy insurance prior to departure when going on Cuba holidays
GoTravel, one of the UK's major providers of travel insurance has recently issued a statement urging travellers to be wise and buy ahead for their Cuba holidays as the country's new medical insurance regulations come into force starting 1st May 2010.
The word has been out for a while now that Cuba’s new regulation will require those taking Cuba holidays to buy medical insurance for the duration of their visit. Now, as more and more insurance companies engage in deals with the island to provide proper coverage to worldwide travellers, there is one British insurer in particular urging travellers to take no risks and buy before they go.
Following the announcement made by the Cuban Government which comes into force as soon as next week, for arrivals from 1st May 2010 onwards, Go Travel Insurance made a public call to UK travellers today reinforcing the importance of taking out comprehensive travel insurance to cover travellers during their Cuba holidays. And because according to the new health insurance policy tourists (or Cuban citizens living abroad) visiting the island will be required to have their insurance cover upon arrival in order to to gain entry to the country, Gotravel is urging holidaymakers to buy before they get there in order to make the process as hassle-free and smooth as possible and avoid delays at the airports or ports or entry, leaving travellers to fully enjoy Cuba holidays without being stopped upon arrival and having to wait until their medical insurance is arranged locally in-situ.
The initiative by GoTravel to spread the word comes after the order issued by the Cuban Government in March, stressed how the insurance policy should be obtained in the traveller's home country to cover the full span of their visit, and those arriving without proper coverage would be required to purchase medical cover from a Cuban insurance company at the seaport or airport immediately upon arrival.
The requirement applies to all tourists and visitors, not only those on Cuba holidays, but also for Cubans living abroad coming into the country to visit friends or family, as well as for any any foreigners temporarily living in Cuba. The regulation currently only exempts diplomats and representatives of accredited international organisations.
"It's important for travellers to be aware of the new conditions imposed by the Cuban government for entry into Cuba and to take out adequate travel cover to ensure they don't have to pay for a policy once they arrive." - said a spokesperson for Go Travel Insurance, one of the UK's major providers of travel insurance.
"Taking out travel insurance should be seen as a necessity and not an optional extra and the Cuban governments stand on this seems to supports this."
Offering travel insurance online since 2000, GoTravel is a fast, secure and reliable travel insurance company, and you can get an instant quote from the website.
Whether you are a frequent traveller interested in getting annual travel insurance or a single trip policy to cover your Cuba holidays is what you are after, Go Travel Insurance offers an end to end service, with all claims, medical screening and call centre customer service handled in-house in the UK.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Expect Luxury, comfort and relaxation!
- Enjoy spa treatments, water and land sports and more for a fun-filled break
- Relish fantastic eating and drinking options 24 hours a day
- Enjoy complimentary perks, including a bottle of sparkling wine, a romantic dinner for two, plus a 30 min massage per couple.
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
Fall in love with Havana and its captivating heritage before being dazzled by the pristine shores of Varadero
- Stunning hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly, offering the best of both worlds for adventure or relaxation
- Stay in a Sea View Room in Havana for all three nights, for an extra £20 per person
- Fly premium-economy class from an extra £199 per person, each way
- Little touches to make your holiday extra special, including a welcome cocktail and a bottle of cava upon arrival in Havana and Varadero
- Experience the world famous Varadero beach, where white sand is lapped by the clear waters when staying at Melia Varadero
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Blau Varadero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Travel to one of Cuba's hidden touristic gems, Varadero, where stretches of secluded beach await you at Blau Varadero....
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Beautifully perched on the panoramic Mensura Hill, surrounded by striking greenery, this blessed and secluded natural...
Explore the many entertaining sites of the famous Varadero beach in Cuba, while enjoying a peaceful 10-day getaway at...
This all-inclusive resort plays host to one of the finest white sandy beaches in the world. The luscious coral reef is...