Gotravel urging travellers to buy insurance prior to departure when going on Cuba holidays
GoTravel, one of the UK's major providers of travel insurance has recently issued a statement urging travellers to be wise and buy ahead for their Cuba holidays as the country's new medical insurance regulations come into force starting 1st May 2010.
The word has been out for a while now that Cuba’s new regulation will require those taking Cuba holidays to buy medical insurance for the duration of their visit. Now, as more and more insurance companies engage in deals with the island to provide proper coverage to worldwide travellers, there is one British insurer in particular urging travellers to take no risks and buy before they go.
Following the announcement made by the Cuban Government which comes into force as soon as next week, for arrivals from 1st May 2010 onwards, Go Travel Insurance made a public call to UK travellers today reinforcing the importance of taking out comprehensive travel insurance to cover travellers during their Cuba holidays. And because according to the new health insurance policy tourists (or Cuban citizens living abroad) visiting the island will be required to have their insurance cover upon arrival in order to to gain entry to the country, Gotravel is urging holidaymakers to buy before they get there in order to make the process as hassle-free and smooth as possible and avoid delays at the airports or ports or entry, leaving travellers to fully enjoy Cuba holidays without being stopped upon arrival and having to wait until their medical insurance is arranged locally in-situ.
The initiative by GoTravel to spread the word comes after the order issued by the Cuban Government in March, stressed how the insurance policy should be obtained in the traveller's home country to cover the full span of their visit, and those arriving without proper coverage would be required to purchase medical cover from a Cuban insurance company at the seaport or airport immediately upon arrival.
The requirement applies to all tourists and visitors, not only those on Cuba holidays, but also for Cubans living abroad coming into the country to visit friends or family, as well as for any any foreigners temporarily living in Cuba. The regulation currently only exempts diplomats and representatives of accredited international organisations.
"It's important for travellers to be aware of the new conditions imposed by the Cuban government for entry into Cuba and to take out adequate travel cover to ensure they don't have to pay for a policy once they arrive." - said a spokesperson for Go Travel Insurance, one of the UK's major providers of travel insurance.
"Taking out travel insurance should be seen as a necessity and not an optional extra and the Cuban governments stand on this seems to supports this."
Offering travel insurance online since 2000, GoTravel is a fast, secure and reliable travel insurance company, and you can get an instant quote from the website.
Whether you are a frequent traveller interested in getting annual travel insurance or a single trip policy to cover your Cuba holidays is what you are after, Go Travel Insurance offers an end to end service, with all claims, medical screening and call centre customer service handled in-house in the UK.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
With great watersports galore, your winter-sun holiday can be one to remember in Cuba
- Try your hand at some adrenaline-pumping water sports including sailing, windsurfing and diving
- If you’re not up for a night on the tiles you can simply chill out at the resort and enjoy the evening’s entertainment
- If you’re a night-owl you won’t be able to resist Varadero’s buzzing nightlife
A superb combination of great accommodation and exciting activities make this resort one of Cuba's hottest properties
- Previous winner of the Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence, and ranked in the top 5 Hotels in Varadero
- Full range of Spa treatments for a more relaxing break, or a selection of water and land sports to choose from for the more active traveller
- Enjoy a range of tours and excursions
- Couples can benefit from a free bottle of sparkling wine and a romantic dinner for two, plus a 30 min massage per couple
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
Discover the relaxing Varadero and sink into sublim tranquillity
- Experience the beauty of Varadero Beach where you can relax and unwind on the tranquil white sandy beaches whilst enjoying the 24-hrs All-inclusive offered at the Luxurious Iberostar Varadero
- Stay in Havana's most highly rated hotel, with an iconic location facing Central Park
- Discover Cuba whilst staying at the 2 Top rated TripAdvisor hotels in Cuba
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Start your holiday at The Melia Habana Hotel, located in the heart of the elegant Miramar district, overlooking the sea....
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...